Oates, Lowry And Co,
(Nicholas Oates and Alexander Lowry), Cycle Manufacturers, Zealandia Cycle Works, 82 Manchester Street, Christchurch. Telephone 799; P.O. Box 128a. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Oates, Cambridge Street, Linwood; Mr. Lowry, 24
Mr N Oates.
Salisbury Street, Christchurch. Branches at Napier and Ashburton. Cable address, “Oates, Christchurch,” private code. This well-known firm was established by the senior partner in 1880, and was one of the first to manufacture bicycles in New Zealand. Mr. Oates was afterwards joined by Mr. R. Kent, under the style of Kent and Oates. Mr. Kent subsequently retired from the firm, and for a long time Mr. Oates conducted the business alone, but was joined by Mr. Lowry in partnership in 1897. The firm makes the celebrated “Zealandia” and “Atalanta” bicycles. Its premises consist of a large two-storey brick building, held under lease. The ground floor has a very large double-fronted shop, with handsome plate-glass windows, displaying a varied stock of bicycles. Behind are the offices, and at the back is the factory, which is thoroughly equipped with all necessary plant and machinery, and is claimed to be the largest in the Colony. The firm imports the raw material required in the industry, and everything connected with cycles, except chains, hubs, saddles, pedals, and rims, is made on the premises; the tubing, rough castings, and wrought iron-work are imported, and turned, finished, and plated on the premises. The machinery is driven by an eight horse-power Tangye steam-engine. There is a complete plating and enamelling plant, which occupies a portion of the first floor, the other space being used as a stockroom. Large monthly shipments of necessary requisites are regularly received. From thirty to forty hands are employed at the works. The whole of the firm's manufacturing business is conducted in Christchurch, and a considerable repairing trade is done at Napier and Ashburton. The firm possesses a complete electric-lighting plant, and has appliances for lighting up parks, etc. It was the first to import a petroleum motor car into the Australasian Colonies.
Mr. A. Lowry.
Interior Of Messrs Oates, Lowry and Co.'s Cycle Works.