The Crown Brewery Company, Limited,
corner of Antigua and St. Asaph Streets, Christchurch. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Telephone, 108. Managing Director, the Hon. C. Louisson, M.L.C. This brewery dates from the early days of Christchurch. Previous to 1875 it was an unpretentious concern, but in that year the late Mr W. White took over the business and formed it into a company known as the Crown Brewery Company. In the following year Messrs Louisson Bros. purchased a large number of shares, and ultimately acquired all the remaining interests in the company; and since then its history has been one of continued prosperity and expansion. From a very small beginning, with an output of a few hogsheads per week for local consumption, its extension under the able management of the Messrs Louisson Bros. since their acquisition of the property has been great, and it now ranks as one of the leading businesses, with a very large output, and a connection extending all over New Zealand. The plant, which is considered one of the best and most up-to-date in the colony, was erected without regard to cost, and is capable of working up to fifty hogsheads per day. Only the best and purest ingredients are used in the manufacture. The hops are obtained from Nelson and the barley from Canterbury; of the latter 30,000 bushels are annually used by the firm, and this consumption materially adds to the activity of the farming industry. The cellars, of which there are several, are very spacious, and have a stowage capacity of over 2500 hogsheads. The floors are laid down in concrete, and the brick walls, as well as the walls of departments where the various processes are conducted, are painted with a patent germ-proof enamel. A copious supply of water is laid on and is used to its utmost so as to ensure the most scrupulous cleanliness. The water used in the manufacture is of the purest quality, and obtained at a depth of 400 feet with an average temperature of fifty-four degrees; it is laid all over the buildings, and can be utilised at a moment's notice, in case of fire. The brewery is constructed on the latest scientific principles, with all modern improvements, and built on the semi-gravitation system, which enables full advantage to be taken of the coldness of the water running through the refrigerators. An area of about four acres is taken up by the buildings, which form an extensive group, of which the brewery and offices are handsome and imposing. Brick premises were erected in 1898 to supersede the old wooden buildings then in existence. The fine suite of offices, occupying the corner of Antigua and St. Asaph Streets, is most conveniently designed and handsomely fitted up, and comprises a large counting-house, manager's room, and strong room, with other apartments. The brewery is conducted under the supervision of a thoroughly experienced first-class brewer who has been with the firm for a period of ten years, and who, previous to his arrival in New Zealand, gained a thorough knowledge in some of the leading British breweries. The Crown Brewery in its extensive operations employs a staff of thirty-two hands, whose efforts are often taxed to supply the
Offices of the Crown Brewery Company.
Bottling Store, Crown Brewery.
orders of the firm's customers. The products of the “Crown” have been most successful at various exhibitions, and at the Agricultural and Pastoral Association's shows, in obtaining numerous certificates of merit and medals, and the firm's reputation as the manufacturer of a pure, high-class beer is acknowledged throughout New Zealand. The bottling department is carried on in premises adjoining the brewery, and the firm's bottled ales are noted for their tonic and invigorating qualities; but although a large business is done in this department, the firm devotes more attention to the more important branch is the output of bulk ales, which are highly esteemed throughout New Zealand.