The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Architects, Civil Engineers, Etc
Architects, Civil Engineers, Etc.
Including—Architects, Civil and Mining Engineers, Draughtsmen, Surveyors, Etc.
Armson, Collins And Harman (John James Collins and Richard Dacre Harman) Architects, 203 Gloucester Street, Christchurch. This firm was established many years ago, and on the death of its founder, the late Mr. W. B. Armson, the present partners, in conformity with his wishes, continued to carry on the business coupled with Mr. Armson's name. Since Messrs Collins and Harman have had the business some of the finest buildings in New Zealand have been built from the designs of the firm, and under its supervision; for instance, the fine stone Anglican church at Timaru, the Union Bank, Christchurch, the Bank of New South Wales, Auckland, the National Bank, Christchurch Strange's and Hobbs' new buildings, the “Lyttelton Times” and “Press” offices, Weeks' buildings, the public library, Charles Clark's buildings, the Royal Hotel, Christchurch, the Christchurch Gas Company's offices, the Borough Council Chambers and the fire brigade station, Lyttelton. Of the numerous fine private residences designed by Messrs Collins and Harman, a few may be mentioned; namely, the beautiful mansion of Mr. A. E. G. Rhodes, at “Te Koraha,” Merivale, where the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall stayed during their visit to Christchurch; the residence of Mr. G. H. Rhodes, at Claremont, Timaru; Mr. R. H. Rhodes' residence at Bluecliffs; Mr. G. E. Rhodes' residence at Meadowbank; Mr. H. D. Buchanan's residence at Little River; and Longbeach House, built to the order of the late Mr. John Grigg, and now the property of his son, Mr. J. C. N. Grigg. These are amongst the finest family residences in New Zealand, and in point of design and architecture they are unsurpassed in the colony.
Mr. J. J. Collins was born in Christchurch, and educated at Christ's College. He served his articles with the late Mr. W. B. Armson, one of the leading architects of Christchurch, and remained with him after completing his articles until Mr. Armson's death in 1883. Since then Messrs Collins and Harman have carried on the business.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. J. Collins.
Mr. H. D. Harman is a son of Mr. R. J. S. Harman, of the firm of Messrs Harman and Stevens. Like his partner, he was born in Christchurch, educated at Christ's College, and articled to the late Mr. Armson. On the death of the founder of the firm Mr. Harman entered into partnership with Mr. Collins.
Standish and Preece, photo
Mr. R. D. Harman.
Barlow, Frederick John, A.R.V.I.A., Architect and Building Surveyor, 149 Cashel Street, Christchurch. Telegraphic address, “Barlow, Christchurch.” Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence: Mr. Barlow, Carlton Mill Road. This business was established in 1893, by Mr. Barlow, who served his articles with Mr. A. W. Simpson, architect, Christchurch. At the expiration of his indentures he left for Victoria for the purpose of gaining further experience in the profession, and entered the extensive firm of Mr. William Salway, F.R.I.B.A., and remained there two years. He was subsequently associated with Mr. Phillip Treeby and Mr. W. Smith, both of Melbourne, but severed his connection with those firms in 1889 to commence practice in Geelong, in partnership with Mr. J. A. Laird. In 1893, Mr. Barlow came to Christchurch, and opened a branch in Colombo Street. The principal works carried out by the firm are the premises for Messrs Dalgety and Co., Geelong, £19,000, and the Geelong Show Grounds and Grand Stand, £9000—the design for which won first prize in an open competition—and the tannery and fellmongery for Mr. Walter Hill, Christchurch, £4000. The firm also won the prize for the best design for a butter factory in 1892. Mr. Barlow is vice-president of the Christchurch Architects' Association, and was for some time head instructor in architecture and building construction at the Gordon College, Geelong, Victoria.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. F. J. Barlow.
Cane, Thomas, Architect and Building Surveyor, Grain Agency Buildings, Christchurch. Mr. Cane is a native of Brighton, Sussex, where he was born in 1830. For many years he was in the employment of Sir Gilbert Scott, the celebrated architect of London. Mr. Cane came to Lyttelton in 1874, and was well known in the early days as Provincial Architect for Canterbury. He was appointed to the position soon after his arrival, and he held it until the abolition of the provinces; and during that time he designed a large number of important buildings in Canterbury.
Chidgey, Arthur, Architect, corner of Armagh Street and Oxford Terrace, Christchurch. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Mr. Chidgey was born in London in 1856. He came to Christchurch with his parents in the ship “Canterbury” in 1863, and was brought up as an architect and builder. For two or three years he was in Sydney and Melbourne engaged in the building trade. Returning to Christchurch, he entered into business on his own account, was well known in his trade till early in 1897, when he discontinued that branch and began as an architect, to which he has since devoted himself. He was for several years a member of the St. Albans Borough Council. Mr. Chidgey was married in 1878 to a daughter of Mr. John Butler, of Ireland, and has three daughters and one son.
Clarkson And Ballantyne (William Albert Paxton Clarkson and Robert Anderson Ballantyne), Architects, 207 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Telegraphic address, “Clarkson, Christchurch.” Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residences: Mr. Clarkson, “Ellaston,” Rugby Street, Merivale; Mr Ballantyne, Glandovey Road, Fendalton. This business was established in 1899, and is located in Mr. R. D. Thomas's building in Hereford Street. Many of the buildings which now adorn the city and suburbs have been designed by Messrs Clarkson and Ballantyne during their partnership, notably the Agricultural and Industrial Hall, Manchester Street, Bank of Australasia, the Provincial and Waimate Hotels, and Mr. T. Coverdale's beautiful residence, “Clitherbeck.”
Mr. William Albert Paxton Clarkson, A.R.I.B.A., is the eldest son of the late Mr. Samuel Clarkson, one of Canterbury's earliest colonists. He was articled to Mr. J. C. Maddison, and, in 1886, went to England, where he further prosecuted his studies until 1890. After being admitted an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects, Mr. Clarkson visited South Africa and Australia. Since establishing himself in business in Christchurch, he has designed and supervised the erection of many public buildings, which have added much to the architectural beauty of the city; for example, the Temple of Truth, now the Choral Hall, the warehouses of Mr. Robert Malcolm, and Morrow, Bassett and Co., in Cashel and Manchester Streets, the block of shops in Colombo Street for Messrs Reece and Sons, warehouses and offices in Cashel Street, and (in conjunction with Mr. F. J. Barlow) Tonks, Norton and Co.'s premises, Hereford Street, besides a great number of private residences in various parts of Canterbury. Mr. Clarkson is the president of the Christchurch Association of Architects.
Mr. W. A. P. Clarkson.
Mr. Robert Anderson Ballantyne, A.R.V.I.A., Partner in the firm of Messrs Clarkson and Ballantyne, is a son of the late Mr. T. A. Ballantyne, of Adelaide, South Australia. He was born at Adelaide, and educated at Prince Alfred College, in that city. Mr. Ballantyne came to New Zealand in 1883, and was articled to Mr. Frederick Strouts, M.R.I.B.A., of Christchurch. On the completion of his articles he practised his profession with success in Melbourne for five years, and was admitted an Associate of the Royal Victorian Institute of Architects. In 1893 he returned to New Zealand, and entered into a partnership with Mr. F. Strouts. This continued until 1899, when he joined his present partner, Mr. W. A. P. Clarkson. During his partnership with Mr. Strouts many large and handsome buildings were designed by the firm; for instance, the Hyman Marks' Wards at the Christchurch Hospital, Messrs Strange and Co.'s new buildings at the corner of Manchester Street; Messrs Ballantyne and Co.'s, the Jubilee Memorial Clock Tower, High Street; the beautiful residence of Mr. R. Heaton Rhodes, at “Otahuna,” Tai Tapu, and the residence of Mr. E. W. Roper, Papanui Road, besides many others.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. R. A. Ballantyne.
Hanmer And Bridge (George Hanmer and C. Hastings Bridge), Surveyors, 207 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Hanmer, “Tilford,” Woolston; Mr Bridge, Cambridge Terrace. This firm was constituted in 1891.
Hart, Alfred Henry, Architect and Patent Agent, Luck's Buildings, Gloucester Street, Christchurch. Telephone 710; P.O. Box 156. Telegraphic address, “Hart, Christchurch.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, 76 Salisbury Street. Corresponding agents in Sydney, Melbourne, Washington, New York, and London. Mr. Hart established himself in business in 1885 in small premises in 258 Colombo Street, and was registered in July, 1890, as a patent agent, being the first in Christchurch and provincial district under the Patents, Designs, and Trade Marks Act, 1889. He has established communications for this branch throughout the world. As an architect he has confined himself chiefly to domestic architecture, and has designed many handsome residences throughout Canterbury. Mr. Hart halls from Birmingham, where he was born in 1848, and arrived in Lyttelton in November, 1879, via Australia. Mr. Hart's offices comprise a convenient suite on the ground floor of Luck's Buildings, at the corner of Colombo and Gloucester Streets. Illuminating is another class of his work, and many important presentation addresses have been executed by him, always remarkable for their high character.
Maddison, Joseph Clarkson, F.R.I.B.A., Architect, 187 Hereford Street, Christchurch. P.O. Box 430. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, “Chiselhurst,” 250 Oxford Terrace, Christchurch. Mr. Maddison, who has been well known in Canterbury for a quarter of a century as one of its leading architects, was born in Greenwich, in 1850. He was educated at private schools, and articled to Mr. George Morris, an old established architect in London, with whom he served for five years. For a short time before leaving his native land, Mr. Maddison was engaged professionally in London. In 1872 he arrived in Lyttelton, in the ship page 286 “Gladstone,” settled in Christchurch, and commenced the practice of his profession. Since then he has designed and erected a great number of important buildings, not only in Christchurch, but in other parts of the colony. A few of these may be noted, such as the splendid warehouse and offices of the Kaiapoi Woollen Manufacturing Company, Limited, the extensive freezing works of the Canterbury Frozen Meat and Dairy Produce Export Company, Limited, at Belfast; the Mataura Freezing Works in Southland; the large block of buildings at the corner of Cashel and Colombo Streets, occupied by Messrs J. Ballantyne and Co. and McClea and Co.; the warehouses of Messrs Chrystall and Co., and Mason, Struthers and Co., in Lichfield Street; the warehouse now occupied by Messrs Milner and Thompson in Manchester Street; Making's Buildings in Worcester Street; Messrs Beath and Co.'s premises, and Worcester House in Cashel Street. Mr. Maddison also drew the plans and supervised the erection of the White Hart, A1, Lancaster Park, and Central Hotels (now the Masonic Hotel), and supervised considerable additions to the Crown Brewery. The large brick mill at Addington, owned by messrs Wood and Co., Limited, is also from Mr. Maddison's designs, as are the refrigerating, cool chambers, and engine-house for Messrs Wardell Brothers and Co. He designed and supervised the erection of Holy Trinity church at Amberley, the Anglican church at Port Levy, and other churches, besides numerous private houses, including those erected for Mr. W. Gordon-Rich and Major Taylor, at the corner of Antigua and Worcester Streets, the residences of the late Mr. W. Chrystall and of the Hon. C. Louisson in Colombo Street, and that of the Rev. T. R. Fisher in Lincoln Road. Mr. Maddison has also erected additions to several of the local banks. He designed the Fairfield Freezing Works near Ashburton, and the large additions to the premises of Messrs Manning and Co., the new buildings of Messrs Wardell Brothers, the new Warner's Hotel, two warehouses for, Messrs Mason, Struthers and Co., and a private residence for Mr. R. Struthers. He also designed the new Somerset Hotel at Ashburton, and the Christchurch Abattoirs; a building for Sir Westby Perceval, a private residence for Sir G. Clifford, Bart.; Tattersall's Hotel; and additions to the Grand Stand for the Canterbury Jockey Club, the Zetland Arms Hotel, and several other large buildings. In 1879 competitive designs were called for a Christchurch Town Hall and Municipal Buildings, and two designs submitted by Mr Maddison were placed first and second in the competition. In 1887 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Mr. Maddison also acts as consulting architect for financial and other institutions which advance money on the security of properties. Mr. Maddison is a member of the Christchurch Licensing Committee. He was married, in 1873, to a daughter of the late Mr. Midmore, of Rent, surveyor, and has three daughters living.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. C. Maddison.
Seager, Samuel Hurst, A.R.I.B.A., Architect, Australian Mutual Provident Buildings, Cathedral Square. Private residence, Sumner. Mr. Seager was born in London in 1858, and came to Lyttelton with his parents in 1870. He returned to England and studied at London University College, Royal Academy, and at the Architects' Association, and passed his examinations as an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Returning to New Zealand in 1884, he established his present practice, and has designed and supervised many important buildings, including the City Council Offices, the Jubilee Home at Woolston. Strathmore Hospital, and the operating-room at the Christchurch Hospital, besides several private residences. Mr. Seager went to Sydney in 1891, and practised his profession, but came back in 1895 to Christchurch, where he resumed practice, and took up the lectureship of architecture at the Canterbury College School of Art.
Whitelaw, John, Architect, 146 Worcester Street, Christchurch. Mr. Whitelaw was born near Glasgow, Scotland, received his early education at a parochial school, and was apprenticed to a builder. He arrived in Canterbury in 1863, and for the first few years worked as a carpenter and joiner, and subsequently as a master builder. In 1869 he started flax-milling, but shortly afterwards met with an accident which disabled him for twelve months. Mr. Whitelaw was next appointed chief clerk of works in the Provincial Engineer's Department, and after the abolition of the provinces was retained in a similar position in the Public Works Department. Retiring in 1878 from the public service, he commenced practice as an architect, and has often acted as arbitrator and valuator. For nearly twenty years he was valuer for the Property and Land Tax Department and for various local bodies. He has designed many commercial buildings, private houses, churches, and schools. Mr. Whitelaw took great interest in the establishment of the Sydenham Borough, and was for about two years a member of the committee formed for that purpose. He was elected to a seat in the council for Sydenham, and became chairman of the Borough Works Committee. He is also returning officer for Christchurch City, and was chairman of the Sydenham Licensing Committee in 1893–95. Mr. Whitelaw is also a sheep-farmer, and has a property of about 1000 acres in Ashburton County, of which his youngest son is in charge. He was married in Glasgow in 1860 to a daughter of the late Dr. W. Willison, of Douglas, Lanarkshire, and has two sons and three daughters.