The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The New Zealand Accident Insurance Company (unlimited liability). Canterbury Branch Offices, 205 Hereford Street, Christchurch; Head Office, Queen Street, Auckland; Mr. F. W. Deamer, District Manager. The company is represented in the various centres of the district, by responsible representatives, and is well known as the leading accident insurance company of the Colony.
Mr. Francis William Deamer, District Manager of the New Zealand Accident Insurance Company, Canterbury Branch, is the third son of the late Dr. W. Deamer, one of the early medical men of Christchurch, who died in 1889 after practising for over a quarter of a century. The subject of this notice was born in Christchurch in 1865, and educated at Christ's College. He entered the Bank of New Zealand as a junior, and subsequently became accountant in the service altogether for five years. On leaving the bank, he had some experience in life insurance business and was shortly afterwards appointed manager for Canterbury for the Standard Accident Insurance Company and representative of the New Zealand Plate Glass Insurance Company. After three years he was appointed to the position he now holds, and took charge in 1803.
Standish and Preece photo.
Mr. F. W. Deamer.
Ocean Accident And Guarantee Corporation, Limited, 45 Cathedral Square, Christchurch. This company, which was founded in 1871, has its headquarters in London. Its head office in Australasia is in Pitt Street, Sydney, and, for New Zealand, in Featherston Street, Wellington. Its authorised capital is £1,000,000; subscribed capital, £447,465; and its paid-up capital, £137,493. At the 31st of December, 1900, its reserves amounted to £921,417, and, at the same date, its total funds, exclusive of uncalled capital, stood at £1,154,900. Its income for the year 1900 was £878,492.
Mr. Edward Richardson, J.P., Manager in Christchurch of the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, Limited, is the eldest son of the Hon. E. Richardson, C.M.G., M.L.C. He was born in Melbourne, in 1857, and was educated at the Christchurch Boys' High School and at Christ's College. After Leaving School he was for some years on his father's station at Albury, and from 1880 till 1896, when the Government took it over, he managed the property for his father and the Assets Company. He then settled on Grange Farm, of 212 acres, close to Temuka, and, in addition to general farming, devoted a good deal of attention to the breeding of stud sheep. While Mr. Richardson was at Albury he was chairman of the Mackenzie County Council. After settling at Temuka he continued his interest in public affairs, and was president of the Temuka Horticultural Society, the South Canterbury Acclimatisation Society, and of the Temuka Athletic Club; vice-president of the Temuka Caledonian Society, and a member of the Geraldine County Council, the Timaru High School Board, and the Pareora Licensing Committee. He was also captain of the Temuka Rifles. In June, 1902, Mr. Richardson entered on the management of the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, Limited, in Christchurch. He has been twice married; firstly, to Miss Lockhart, of Christchurch, who died in 1882, and, secondly, in 1891, to a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Le Cren, of Timaru.
Mr. E. Richardson.
The Canterbury Fire Underwriters' Association. Committee for 1902: Messrs H. Antill Adley, chairman; A. Carrick, vice-chairman; A. L. Parsons, J. F. Grierson, T. D. Condell, A. Scott, and G. E. Way; Thornhill Cooper, auditor; and James Orme Barnard, secretary. The various offices represented are: The Alliance, Australian Alliance, Commercial Union, Guardian, Northern, Phœnix, and Royal Exchange Assurance Companies; the Imperial, Law Union and Crown, Liverpool and London and Globe, London and Lancashire, Manchester, National, New Zealand, North German, North Queensland, North British and Mercantile, Norwich Union, Royal, South British, Standard, Sun, United, Victoria, and Yorkshire Insurance Companies, and the Farmers' Cooperative Insurance Association. The original Fire Underwriters' Association of Canterbury existed for a period of twenty-eight years, prior to the establishment of the present association in September, 1895. The association controls the whole of Canterbury and Westland, but is subject to the directions or the general council of the Fire Underwriters' Association of New Zealand.