The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Justice is administered in Christchurch at the Supreme Court, the Magistrate's Court, and the Police Court. Mr Justice Denniston presides over the first, Mr R. Beetham, S.M., over the second; and Mr H. W. Bishop, S.M., who has charge also of the northern district, officiates at the Police Court. Bankrupt estates are administered by the Official Assignee, Mr G. L. Greenwood. The Arbitration Court, presided over by Mr Justice Cooper, sits in the Provincial Council Chambers when there are industrial disputes for it to consider. As, however, wigs and gowns are seldom seen at the table of the Arbitration Court, and as its functions are of a very specialised nature, it hardly comes under the same category as an ordinary court of law. Christchurch has produced a large number of prominent figures in the legal profession, and has had for judges such well-known men as the late Mr Justice Gresson, who held office from December, 1857, till March, 1875, when he resigned, and Mr Justice Johnston, who was appointed in November, 1858, and died in harness on the 1st of June, 1888. Mr Justice Denniston was appointed Judge of the Supreme Court in Christchurch on the 11th of February, 1889. Mr A. R. Bloxam is Registrar of the Supreme Court, and Mr T. W. Stringer is the Crown Solicitor for Christchurch.
The Christchurch Supreme Court Buildings stand near the western bank of the Avon, between Victoria Street and Armagh Street. The walls of the portion used for the business of the Supreme Court are nearly three feet in thickness, and the buildings include a spacious chamber, surrounded by the usual apartments for witnesses and jurymen. There are also the offices of the Registrar and Deputy-Registrar, the Supreme Court Library, the rooms of the Judge and the Judge's assistant, barristers' robing room, and so on. The cottage occupied by the usher adjoins the main building. The Deputy-Registrar Mr. H. Lee, the clerk Mr. W. Sampson, and the usher Mr. E. W. Seager.
His Honour John Edward Denniston, Judge of the Supreme Court, Christchurch, was born at Bishopton, Renfrewshire, Scotland, on the 20th of June, 1845. He is the son of Mr. Thomas Denniston, merchant, and Helen Franch Walker, daughter of Gabriel Walker, Glasgow, and received the usual public school education. Having matriculated at Glasgow University, where he won an Entrance Scholarship, he left that ancient Foundation to join his father and some other members of the family on the former deciding to take part in the colonisation of New Zealand. They landed in Otago in 1862 and Mr. Denniston, senior, took up a run in Southland. He closed an honourable and useful life, public and private, at his son's house at Fendalton, Christchurch, in 1897. The future judge after having seen service in various capacities, including the civil service and that of the Bank of New South Wales, became a law student with Mr. W. Downie Stewart, afterwards the Hon. W. Downie Stewart, M.L.C. He was admitted to the New Zealand Bar at Dunedin by Mr. Justice Chapman on the 4th of August, 1874. For some months he practised at Wanganui in partnership with Mr. George Hutchison, afterwards a prominent member of the House of Representatives. In 1875, he became associated with Mr Downie Stewart in Dunedin and the firm was subsequently joined by Mr. Allan Holmes, son of the Hon. Mathew Holmes, M.L.C., under the style of Stewart, Holmes and Denniston, and acquired an extensive practice in Otago. Court work was undertaken by Mr. Denniston, whose name was connected with most of the important civil and criminal cases in the province In 1889, he was elevated to the Bench on the death of Mr. Justice Johnston and was sworn in by His Honour Sir James Prendergast, Chief Justice of New Zealand, in February, 1889. Judge Denniston was married on the 15th of November, 1887, to Helen Mary, daughter of the late Hon. John Bathgate, M.L.C., and has three sons and two daughters.
Mr. Andrew Roby Bloxam, Registrar and Sheriff of the Supreme Court for the district of Canterbury, Registrar of the Vice-Admiralty Court, and Notary Public, is the eldest son of the Rev. A. Bloxam, incumbent of Twycross, Leicester, England, and was born in 1839, He was educated at Charter House and Worcester College, Oxford, and arrived in Lyttelton in 1863. Two years later, Mr. Bloxam was appointed clerk of the warden's court at Kanieri, Westland. He visited England in 1872, and returned to the Colony six years later. Mr. Bloxam was appointed temporarily as clerk of the magistrate's court at Greymouth in 1879, and in the same year became deputyregistrar and deputy-sheriff for the district of Canterbury. Two years later he was appointed to his present post. As a cricketer. he represented Canterbury in the first cricket match against Otago, which was played in Christchurch. In 1898, Mr. Bloxam again visited England on leave, and was presented prior to his departure by the members of the Canterbury District Law Society with an excellent painting of himself. He is a member of the Anglican Church, and has several times served on the Diocesan Synod. Mr. Bloxam was married in 1880 to a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Smith, M.D., of Cockermouth, and grand-daughter of Mr. Humphrey Senhouse, of Nether Hall, Maryport, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. Hastings Lee, Deputy-Registrar of the Supreme Court at Christchurch, and Clerk of Awards under the Industrial Conciliation and Arbitration Act, was born in Wales. In 1867 he came out to Melbourne in the ship “Great Britain,” and soon afterwards crossed over to New Zealand. For twentythree years Mr. Lee was stationed at Southbridge as clerk of the magistrates' court, etc., and in 1891, was transferred to the page 242 Supreme Court at Wellington. He was appointed Deputy-Registrar at Christchurch in 1896.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. H. Lee
Mr. Edward William Seager, Usher of the Supreme Court at Christchurch, was born in London in 1828, where also he was educated. Arriving in Lyttelton as schoolmaster on board the ship “Cornwall” in December, 1851, Mr. Seager joined the police force and became the first sergeant of police in the Canterbury district. Four years later he was promoted to inspector and after six years was appointed chief gaoler at Lyttelton. In 1868, he was placed in charge of the lunatic asylum at Sunnyside, a position he occupied for twenty-four years. Whilst inspector of police, he arrested Mackenzie the sheep-stealer, after whom the Mackenzie Country is named. He was married in 1854 to the fourth daughter of Mr. T. Coster, of Christchurch, and of seven daughters and five sons, has six daughters and three sons living.
Standish and Preece, photo
Mr. E. W. Seager.
The Honourable Henry Barnes Gresson, B.A., who was a Judge of the Supreme Court of New Zealand from 1858 till 1875, when he retired, was born in 1809 in County Meath, Ireland, where his father, the Rev. G. L. Gresson, was rector of a parish. Educated by private tutors and at a private school, he graduated B.A. at Trinity College, Dublin, and was called to the Irish Bar in Trinity Term in 1833. He practised his profession for some years in Dublin, but came to New Zealand in 1852, when he arrived in Auckland. Later on he moved south to Canterbury. Shortly after his arrival in Christchurch. Mr. Gresson was appointed Provincial Solicitor and Crown Prosecutor, and held the offices till 1857, when he became Acting-Judge of the southern districts, including Wellington, Nelson, Westland, Canterbury, Otago, and Southland. On the 4th of September, 1858, Governor Gore Browne appointed him a Judge of the Supreme Court of New Zealand, with the districts of Canterbury and Otago under his immediate jurisdiction. It was not only hard but hazardous work to travel in the colony in those days, but it is on record that Mr. Gresson, on his first appointment as Judge in 1857, travelled overland from Nelson to Lyttelton, 230 miles, and next year, accompanied by the Hon. C. C. Bowen, he rode overland from Christchurch to Dunedin, 205 miles. In the year following his retirement from the office of Judge he paid a visit to England, and after his return to the colony he resided in Canterbury. He was at one time a member of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College, and chairman of that body for one year. Judge Gresson was married in Ireland in 1845 to a daughter of the late Mr. Beatty, of Londonderry. Mrs Gresson died on the 11th of June, 1889, aged seventy-nine years, and Judge Gresson himself passed away on the 31st of January, 1901, on the ninetieth anniversary of his birth.
The Christchurch Supreme Court Library is situated in the Supreme Court Buildings, in rooms on the western side. The institution is under the management of the Canterbury Law Society, and there are about 6000 volumes on the shelves. The librarian, whose office is in the same part of the building, is Mr. N. Nalder, barrister and solicitor.
Stipendiary Magistrate's Court.
The Christchurch Magistrate's Court is close to the Supreme Court, and occupies a single-storey stone building. Besides the courtroom, there is the ordinary complement of offices and apartments. The public office is entered from the northern side. The court has ordinary and extended jurisdiction within the city of Christchurch and district, extending to the Waimakariri river in the north and nearly as far south as the Rakaia. Mr. R. Beetham is the Stipendiary Magistrate, and Mr. W. Martin is clerk of the court. It should be stated that Mr. H. W. Bishop, S.M., is in charge of North Canterbury, and holds sittings at Rangiora, Kaiapoi, Akaroa, and other centres.
Mr. Richmond Beetham, Stipendiary Magistrate and Chairman of the Christchurch Licensing Committee, was born in 1836 in Horneast e, Lancashire, England, and educated chiefly at the Elizabethan Foundation School in his native place. In 1856 Mr. Beetham came out to Victoria, and three or four years later crossed the Tasman Sea to New Zealand. He entered the public service in 1862, as Receiver of Land Revenue on the Otago goldfields, was appointed Restdent Magistrate in 1863 and has been respectively at Queenstown, Napier, and Timaru, being transferred to Christchurch in 1881. Mr. Beetham was married in 1863 to a daughter of the late Mr. William Swainson, F.R.S., a well-known naturalist.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. R. Beetham.
Mr. Helyar Wedderburn Bishop, Stipendiary Magistrate, who resides in Christchurch, and is in charge of the North Canterbury district, is a Coroner, Commissioner of the Native Land Court, and a Licensed Interpreter. He was born on the 12th of March, 1851, in Hampshire, England, was educated at Winchester and came to Lyttelton in 1868 in the ship “Mermaid,” with the intention of joining an elder brother who was sheep-farming in North Canterbury. He afterwards removed to Motueka near Nelson, where he engaged in hop-culture until 1872, when he went to Wellington and for some time was employed in teaching a school. In July, 1873, he entered the Government service, being attached to the Native Department. He was sent to Hokianga in April, 1876, as clerk and interpreter of the resident magistrate's court, and secretary and interpreter to the late Judge Maning, better known as “Pakeha Maori” the author of that delightful book, “Old New Zealand.” In 1882, Mr. Bishop was appointed resident magistrate for the district of Bay of Islands, with residence at Mongonui Subsequently his district was extended to include the whole of North Auckland, with head-Quarters in Auckland city. He was removed to Christchurch in 1893. Mr. Bishop is attached to the Church of England, being a member of the Diocesan Synod, and of the Standing Committee of the Diocese and a Church Property trustee. He is married and has two sons and one daughter living.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. H. W. Bishop.
Mr. Walter Martin, Chief Clerk of Court and of the Licensing Committees for Christchurch, Riccarton, and Avon, was born in 1854 at Leamington, Warwickshire, and educated at the High School, Christchurch. Mr Martin entered the service in 1869 as a cadet in the magistrate's court. In 1876, he was appointed second clerk, and in 1880 became clerk of court at Ashburton. He was transferred to Onehunga in 1884, and to Invercargill in 1886, where he was sheriff of the Supreme Court and clerk of the district court until 1897, when he was promoted to his present positions in Christchurch. Mr Martin has always been interested in cycling and was a vice-president of the Invercargill Cycling Club; at the time of his leaving that town he was president, was created a life member and presented with a gold badge in recognition of his services. Mr. Martin is a delegate of the same club to the New Zealand League of Wheelmen. He was married in 1886 and has three daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. Martin.
Mr. James Turnbull, Chief Bailiff of the Stipendiary Magistrate's Court, Christchurch, was born in 1859 at Lyttelton, and was educated in Christchurch. He served his apprenticeship as a cabinet-maker, and before joining the public service was engaged for some time in various occupations. He was appointed assistant-bailiff in 1882, and was promoted to his present position in 1891. Mr. Turnbull is a member of the American Order of Oddfellows, being attached to Lodge “Ridgley,” in which he has passed all the chairs including that of noble grand; has filled the position of district deputy-grand master of the North Canterbury District, and has been returned four times as representative of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand, For some time he was a member of the committee of the Canterbury District Public Service Association, He was married in 1883 to Miss Berry, of Christchurch, and has two sons and three daughters.
Mr. Alexander Adam Mair, formerly Second Clerk of the Stipendiary Magistrate's Court, Christchurch, was born in Invercargill, his father being Mr. Alexander Mair, an old and respected colonist of Southland. Mr. Mair joined the department as a cadet, in 1885. Subsequently he was appointed successively to the Wellington, Timaru, and Wanganui Magistrate's Courts, and in September, 1896, was promoted to the position of Clerk of Court at Riverton. He was appointed Second Clerk at Christchurch in May, 1898, and is now (1902) Clerk of the District Court and Magistrate's Court at Hokitika.
The Canterbury Law Society was established in 1868, when the first meeting was held in the offices of the late Dr. Foster the first president. At present about sixtyfive members are on the roll. The annual general meeting is held in March of each year, and at it a council of management, consisting of nine members, is elected. The present president is Mr. T. G. Russell; vicepresident, Mr. H. J. Beswick; treasurer. Mr. W. Izard; secretary, Mr. J. A. Flesher.
Barristers And Solicitors.
Acton-Adams And Kippenberger (William Acton-Adams and Phillip Kippenberger), Barristers and Solicitors, 198 Hereford Street, Christchurch. This well-known firm was established in 1887. Mr. ActonAdams, who arrived in New Zealand from Worcestershire, England, in 1850, served his articles with his father, the late Mr. William Adams, who was the first Superintendent of Marlborough, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1868. He was a member of the Nelson Provincial Council, was twice elected a member of the House of Representatives for the City of Nelson, and for some time held the Commission of the Peace. Mr. Kippenberger came to New Zealand from Germany in 1863, and was educated in the public schools in Timaru. He served his articles with Mr. J. W. White, Crown Solicitor, of Timaru, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1883. Mr. Kippenberger acted as managing clerk to the firm of Joynt and Acton-Adams till the dissolution of partnership in 1887, when he page 244 joined Mr. Adams in the firm. This partnership was dissolved on the 31st of January, 1900, when Mr. Acton-Adams retired from practice. Mr. Kippenberger carries on the business of the firm under the name of ActonAdams and Kippenberger.
Bates, David (B.A.,Ll.B., New Zealand University), Barrister and Solicitor, Morten's Buildings, Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Telegraph address, “Bates, Solicitor, Christchurch.” Bankers, Union Bank of Australia and Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Madras Street, St. Albans. Mr. Bates was born in 1869 at Wainui, Akaroa, and was educated at the Wainui public school, and then at the Christchurch Boys' High School and Canterbury College. He took his B.A. degree at the age of twenty-one, and subsequently the degree of Bachelor of Laws while serving articles with Messrs Duncan, Cotterill and Martin, the last-mentioned of whom was afterwards successively Stipendiary Magistrate and Public Trustee at Wellington, and Judge of the Supreme Court, Mr. Bates remained with that firm for upwards of four years, and was then, in June, 1895, admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand. He soon commenced practice on his own account, and has worked up a very successful business, in connection with which his periodical visits to country districts such as Akaroa, Waikari, and Cheviot, have been of great service to him.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. D. Bates.
Beattie, James Allison, Barrister and Solicitor, 192 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Private residence, Durham Street, Sydenham. Of English extraction, Mr. Beattie was born in 1856 in Canada, where he was educated. He came to New Zealand in 1877, served articles with Messrs. McConnell and Douglas, and was admitted in 1886.
Beswick And Harris (Harry Joseph Beswick and George Harris), Barristers, Solicitors, and Notaries, 215 Hereford Street, Christchurch; branches at Lyttelton and Akaroa. Cable address: “Counsel.” London agents: Messrs Lee, Bolton, and Lee, 1 The Sanctuary, Westminster. Mr. Beswick is referred to elsewhere in this volume as an exmayor of Christchurch.
Bruges, Francis Henry, Barrister and Solicitor, Hereford Street, Christchurch. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia, Ltd. London agents. Messrs. Wilkins, Blyth, Dutton, and Hartley, 112 Gresham House, Old Broad Street, E.C. Mr. Bruges is a native of Wiltshire, where he was educated. He served his articles with Messrs. Clark and Collins, of Trowbridge, Wilts, and Messrs Whitakers and Woolbert, solicitors, Lincoln's Inn Fields, and was afterwards with Messrs. Walton, Bubb and Co., of Leadenhall Street, London, Passing his examination with honours, he was admitted a solicitor of the High Court of Justice of England during the Michaelmas Term of 1874. Mr. Bruges arrived in New Zealand in 1878, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in the same year.
Cassidy, James Andrew, Barrister and Solicitor, Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Mr. Cassidy was born in Hokitika, in November, 1867, and at an early age visited Melbourne, where he was educated at St. Francis Xavier's College. After returning to New Zealand, Mr. Cassidy was articled to Mr. Thomas Stringer, Crown Solicitor, Christchurch.
Caygill And Widdowson (Howell Young Widdowson), Barristers and Solicitors, 45 Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Mr. Widdowson, who is now sole partner in this firm, is referred to in another article as a former member of the Christchurch City Council.
Donnelly, Michael, Barrister and Solicitor, Christchurch. Mr. Donnelly was admitted to practice as a solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1885, and as a barrister in 1891, at Christchurch. He arrived in Dunedin when a boy, and subsequently joined the newspaper press in that city. Mr. Donnelly held responsible positions for several years on the staffs of “The Guardian,” Daily Times,” and “Herald,” Later on he was subeditor of the Christchurch “Press, and editor of “The Telegraph.” For several years Mr. Donnelly was astudent in law, and in political and moral science, at the Otago University College. As a criminal lawyer his professional career has been a successful one. Politics have always had considerable interest for Mr. Donnelly, but he has not, so far, been successful in obtaining a seat in Parliament.
Dougall. John Joseph, Solicitor, 9. Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Telephone 1004. Bankers. Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Dougall was admitted as a solicitor in 1896, and established his present business in 1899. He is further referred to in the military section of this volume.
Duncan And Cotterill (Henry Cotterill), Solicitors, 37 and 39 Cathedral Square, and 140 and 142 Worcester Street, Christchurch. Telephone 865. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Private residence, Mr. Cotterill, Fendalton; telephone, 451, London Agents, Messrs Bridges, Sawtell and Co., 23 Red Lion Square. This legal firm was established in 1848 by Mr. T. S. Duncan, who was soon afterwards joined by Mr. J. S. Williams, now Mr. Justice Williams, and later on by Mr. Andrew Jameson. The firm came under the style of Duncan and Cotterill in 1879, and was joined by Mr. J. C. Martin in 1881. Mr. Duncan, who was one of Canterbury's early colonists, and the founder of the firm, died in 1885, having been Crown Solicitor for many years. He was succeeded in that office by Mr. Martin, who continued in it until 1893, when he retired from the firm. The business has been carried on since that date by Mr. Cotterill alone.
Mr. Henry Cotterill, of the firm of Duncan and Cotterill, was born in Lyttelton in 1855. He was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and passed his articles in the office of the late Mr. Philip Hanmer (Hanmer and Harper), and as associate to Mr. Justice Williams. Mr. Cotterill was admitted a barrister and solicitor of New Zealand in 1878.
Flesher, James Arthur, Barrister and Solicitor, 9 Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Telephone 243. P.O. Box 20. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Limited. Telegraphic address, “Flesher, Christchurch,' Private residence, “Avebury,” Richmond. Mr. Flesher, who is the son of an old colonist, was born in Christchurch in 1865, and was educated at Christ's College. On leaving school he entered the office of Messrs Wilding and Lewis, solicitors, and was with them in Christchurch and Ashbur ton for four years, at the expiration of which he entered the employment of Messrs Joynt and Acton-Adams, with whom he remained till the dissolution of the firm, when he became managing clerk to Messrs Acton-Adams and Kippenberger. He was admitted as a solicitor in 1898 and a barrister in the following year, when he commenced practice on his own account. From 1893 to 1895 he represented the Richmond ward in the City Council. For many years he was a member. and ultimately chairman of the Richmond school committee. He is chairman of the Richmond Domain Board, and has been honorary secretary of the Canterbury District Law Society since 1897. Mr. Flesher has taken considerable interest in the work of the Methodist Church. Prior to the union of the Methodist churches in 1896 he was secretary to the Federal Council, and worked assiduously to bring the union to a successful issue. He was secretary of the North Canterbury Methodist Sunday School Union for five years, and at present (1902) is its president. As a Rechabite, he is associated with the Pride of Christchurch Tent, No. 26.
Francis, Harry, Solicitor, 9 Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Crescent Road, St. Albans. Mr. Francis is page 245 the youngest son of the late. Dr. R. Swinford Francis, of Boughton-under-Blean, in the County of Kent, England, and was born in 1850. He was educated at St. Leonards-onSea, Sussex, was articled in 1866 to Messrs. Noakes, Carlisle and Francis, solicitors and Conservative agents, of the City of London, and admitted as attorney-at-law and solicitor of the High Court of Chancery in Hilary Term 1873. Mr. Francis practised in Croydon, Surrey, and Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, before coming to Auckland in the ship “Oamaru” in 1887. Arriving in Christchurch shortly after reaching New Zealand, he was successively managing clerk to Messrs. T. G. Russell, T. I. Joynt, and J. A. Flesher. He was admitted as solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in November, 1896, and at once established his practice. Mr. Francis belongs to the Church or England, and is a member of the vestry of St. Matthews, St. Albans. He was married in 1875 to Alice Orpah, eldest daughter of Mr. William Treadwell, of Scarbutts Manor, Boughton-under-Blean, Kent, and has one son and two daughters living.
Wrigglescorth and Binns, photo.
Mr. H. Francis
Fuller, Frederick, Solicitor, Chancery Lane, Christchurch. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Avonside. A native of South Australia where he was born in 1863, Mr. Fuller was educated at Christchurch Grammar and Commercial School, and studied law in the office of Mr. T. I. Joynt, and was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1891. He served in Mr. Joynt's office for seven years, and during the last five or six years undertook the general management. In 1893, he joined Mr. J. A. Flesher under the style of Flesher and Fuller, and on retiring from the firm in 1895, established his present practice. Mr. Fuller has been captain of the Canterbury Representative Football team on several occasions, and of the South Island team that played against England. He was also for several years captain of the Union Rowing Club, one of the founders and captain of the East Christchurch Football Club, and a prominent member of the Christchurch Swimming Club. Mr. Fuller was elected a life member of the Union Rowing Club in recognition of valuable services, and is vice-president of the Avon Rowing Club. He was married in 1891 to a daughter of Mr. William Crowe, of Christchurch, and has two daughters.
Mr. F. Fuller.
Garrick, Cowlishaw, And Fisher (J. B. Fisher, W. B. Cowlishaw and F. I. Cowlishaw), Barristers, Solicitors, and Notaries Public, Commissioners for Acknowledgments, Commissioners of New South Wales and Queens and, Solicitors for the Christchurch City Council, Bank of New Zealand, Bank of New South Wales, New Zealand Insurance Company, Permanent Investment and Loan Association, New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, New Zealand and River Plate Land Mortgage Company, Canterbury College, Board of Education, Christchurch Drainage Board, S. Manning and Company, Alliance Assurance Company, Canterbury Frozen Meat and Dairy Produce Export Company; 197 Gloucester Street, Christchurch. Telephone 163. P.O. Box 97. Bankers. Bank of New Zealand. Cable address, “Garrick,” Christchurch. English Agents, Messrs Paines, Blyth and Huxtable, 14 St. Helen's Place, London, E.C. This firm, which is one of long standing in Christchurch is in the front rank of the profession in New Zealand. It was established in 1864 under the style of Garrick and Cowlishaw, when it acquired the business of Mr. E. F. B. Hartson. It was conducted under its original style till 1883, when Mr. J. Bickerton Fisher was admitted into partnership, and the name was changed to Garrick, Cowlishaw, and Fisher. Mr. Garrick died in 1900, and Mr. Cowlishaw retired on the 1st of January, 1902, when his sons, Messrs William Bossley Cowlishaw and Francis Ion Cowhshaw, were admitted into the firm.
Mr. James Bickerton Fisher, now Senior Partner, was born at Diss, Norfolk, England, in 1843, and came to New Zealand by the ship “Myrtle,” landing at Wellington, in 1857. He completed his education at Christ's College, Christchurch, was articled to Mr. Cowlishaw in 1863, and called to the bar in 1868. In 1870 he commenced the practice of his profession at Westport, where he received the appointment of Crown Prosecutor for Westland, and represented that district in the Nelson Provincial Council and in the House of Representatives. Mr. Fisher returned to Christchurch in 1882, and commenced practice on his own account. In the following year he was admitted as a partner in the firm of Garrick and Cowlishaw. Mr. Fisher is a notary public.
Mr. William Bossley Cowlishaw is a Barrister-at-law of the Inner Temple, and was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1893.
Mr. Francis Ion Cowlishaw is a B.A. of Oxford, and also a Barrister of the Inner Temple, and was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1893.
Hanmer, Norman Gordon Whichcote, Barrister and Solicitor, Chancery Lane. Mr. Hammer was articled to Mr. J. C. Martin, and was admitted in 1894.
Harper, George, Barrister and Solicitor, Dalgely's Buildings, Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Mr. Harper was called to the bar as a barrister-at-law at the Inner Temple, London, in 1869, and was admitted in the succeeding year as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand. He has had an extensive experience as a barrister in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, and has been professionally responsible for the management of many important cases. Mr. Harper was selected as a member for the Royal Commission, consisting of Judges of the Supreme Court and chosen members of the legal profession, to assist in the revision of the Supreme Court Acts and Rules, and the framing of the new code of procedure, and he has for many years been a member of the New Zealand and Canterbury Law Societies respectively. Mr. Harper is the fourth son of the late Bishop Harper, Primate of New Zealand. He was born in 1843 at Mortimer, Berkshire, England, and partially educated at Eton College. After coming to New Zealand in 1858, he completed his education at Christa's College, of which he is now a Fellow. During his long residence in Christchurch, Mr. Harper has taken considerable interest in volunteering, and he has for many years been Captain of Christ's College Rifles.
Helmore, Joseph Cornish, Barrister and Solicitor, Duncan's Buildings, Cashel Street, Christchurch. P.O. Box 75. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Helmore's Road. Merivale. Mr. Helmore, who was born in Exeter, in 1832, and was educated in Exeter and London, was articled page 246 to Messrs. Kennaway and Buckingham, of Exeter. He was admitted a solicitor in England in 1859, and afterwards in Victoria. After travelling in various parts of the world and practising in Singapore for about a year, Mr. Helmore settled in Christchurch in 1861, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor by Mr. Justice Greason. For about thirty years Mr. Helmore had chambers in a two-storey wooden building which he erected in Cashel Street, opposite the “Press” office. He was married in 1859 to a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Cresswell, of Exeter, and has four sons and three daughters.
Hill, Charles, Barrister and Solicitor, 194 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Telephone 85. P.O. Box 361. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Mr. Hill was born in Christchurch in 1869, and educated at the public school, St. Albans, and under Mr. John Broughton, St. Albans, and Mr. Charles Cook, Christchurch. He was articled in 1880 to Mr. Gresson, admitted to the bar in 1887, and continued as chief clerk for Mr. Gresson until the death of the latter in 1891, when he succeeded to the practice.
Hoban, William, Barrister and Solicitor, 206 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Telephone 59. P.O. Box 389. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Hoban was born in Christchurch in 1861, and was educated at the Catholic School, Barbadoes Street, and at Mr. Gee's Grammar School. He was articled to Mr. John Holmes, and was admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor in 1883. Mr. Hoban practised his profession till 1894, when he left New Zealand for the Chatham Islands, where he has an estate of 4000 acres, on which he remained for six years. He then returned to Christchurch to resume his professional practice.
Hunt, Frederick Knight, Barrister and Solicitor, Hereford Street, Christchurch. Mr. Hunt was born in London, and is a son of the late Dr. F. E. Hunt, of Christchurch. He was educated at Christ's College, and was afterwards articled to Mr. J. C. Martin. In 1891 he was admitted as a solicitor, and subsequently as a barrister.
Izard And Loughnan (William Izard and Henry Hamilton Loughnan), Barristers and Solicitors, 196 Hereford Street. Christchurch; branches at Southbridge and Leeston. P.O. Box 61. Telephone 449. bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. London Agents, Messrs Linklater and Co., 2 Bond Court, Walbrook, E.C. New York Agents, Messrs Carter, Pinney, and Kellogg.
Mr. William Izard, M.A.,L L.B., (Cambridge), is a son of the Rev, W. C. Izard, of Slindon Rectory, Sussex, and was born in London in 1851, educated at Cambridge, and called to the bar as a barrister-at-law of the Inner Temple in 1875. At the latter end of the same year he left England for New Zealand, and in the early part of the succeeding year commenced the practice of his profession in Hereford Street, Christchurch. In 1878 he was joined by Mr. Loughnan. Mr. Izard was appointed Law Lecturer at Canterbury College in 1883, and retained the office till 1902, when he resigned. He is (1902) president of the Christchurch Liedertafel.
Mr. Henry Hamilton Loughnan is referred to in another article as a member of the Christchurch City Council.
Johnston, Mills, And Joyce (F. W. Johnston, W. E. Mills and —. Joyee), Solicitors, 213 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Mr. Johnston served his articles with Mr. E. R. Deacon, with whom he continued after being admitted a solicitor in 1892, till joining Mr. Mills in establishing the present practice in February, 1895. Mr. Mills was for some years in the office of Messrs, Wynn-Williams and Son, and was admitted a solicitor in 1891.
Kirk, Andrew Ross, Ll.B. , Barrister and Solicitor, 189 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Hazeldean Road. Of Scotch descent, and born in Christchurch in 1867, Mr. Kirk was educated at the Boys' High School, and gained his degree at Canterbury College in 1894, having been a winner of the Bowen prize four years before. He was articled to Messrs. Stringer and Cresswell, and established himself in practice in 1895 soon after his admission as a barrister and solicitor.
Leathem, Robert Thomas, Barrister and Solicitor, 224 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Leathem, who has long been known as a most successful solicitor, is a son of Mr, Thomas Leathem, proprietor of a valuable estate in the Tai Tapu district. He was born at Fendalton, Christchurch, in 1866, and was educated at St. Leo's High School. At an early age he was articled to Mr. Wynn-Williams, of Christchurch, and was admitted as a solicitor in 1887, and five years later as a barrister. On commencing practice on his own account, Mr. Leathem rented offices in Hereford Street, and, on their destruction by fire, removed to his present premises. Mr. Leathem works hard as a member of the Catholic Church. He is well known amongst sportsmen, and is the owner of a renowned hurdle mare.
Loughrey And Lane, Barristers and Solicitors, 220 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Telephone 729. P.O. Box 201. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Solicitors for the Public Trustee, the Government Advances to Settlers Office, the North Canterbury Hospital Board, the Ashburton and North Canterbury Charitable Aid Boards, the National Mortgage and Agency Company of New Zealand, Limited, and for Ward and Company. This firm dates back to 1882, when the separate private practices of Mr. Holme and Mr. Loughrey were combined, under the style of Messrs Holmes and Loughrey. In 1889, Mr. Holmes withdrew to private life, and in the succeeding year Mr. Loughrey was joined by Mr. Lane.
Mr. Andrew Loughrey, the Senior Partner of the firm, is referred to in another part of this volume as an ex-member of the House of Representatives.
Mr. Beauchamp Lane, Partner in the firm, was born in Christchurch in 1864, and was educated at Cheltenham College, England. After completing his college course, he returned to his native city, and was articled to Messrs Garrick, Cowlishaw, and Fisher. He was admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1886, and remained during the four succeeding years with Messrs Garrick, Cowlishaw, and Fisher. In 1890 he joined Mr Loughrey. Mr. Lane has represented Canterbury at tournaments, and on several occasions he rode the winner of the point-to-point steeplechase. He is now a member of the committee of the Canterbury Jockey Club.
Malley, Alfred Joseph, Solicitor, 142 Cashel Street, Christchurch. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Malley was born in Christchurch in 1867. He attended the Catholic School, Barbadoes Street, and completed his education at St. Patrick's College, Wellington. After returning to Christchurch he was articled to Mr. F. H. Bruges. In 1897 he was called to the bar as a solicitor, and at the latter end of the same year he commenced practice on his own account.
Meares And Williams (Henry Osborne Devenish-Meares and James Hugh Williams), Barristers and Solicitors, 203 Gloucester Street, Christchurch.
Muff And Murphy (R. G. Muff and T. A. Murphy). Barristers and Solicitors, 186 Gloucester Street, Christchurch. This firm was established in 1898.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. H. J. Raphael.
Ritchie, George Berley, Solicitor, 205 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Mr. Ritchie was born in Suffolk, England, arrived in Canterbury in 1858 with his parents, and was educated at the old High School, in Christchurch. He was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1889, and was with the firm of Wynn-Williams and Deacon for ten years. Mr. Ritchie commenced the practice of his profession in Christchurch in 1890.
Russell, Thomas Gregory, Barrister and Solicitor, 55 Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Mr. Russell was born in London in 1851, and educated at Horton College, Tasmania, in which colony he arrived when five years of age. He was brought up to business as an accountant. Settling in Canterbury in 1871, Mr. Russell studied for his profession, and was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1884, when he at once commenced the successful practice of his profession in Christchurch.
Slater And Son (Henry Slater), Barristers and Solicitors, 146 Worcester Street, Christchurch. Telephone 296. Cable address, “Notary, Christchurch” (Kimes Code). Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Sandilands, New Brighton. London Agents, Messrs Burchill and Co., Members' Mansions, 36 Victoria Street, Westminster, London. This firm was established in the year 1860 by the late Mr. Francis Slater, an English solicitor, in premises in Lichfield Street.
Mr. Henry Slater was born in London, in 1839, and was educated at private schools. He came to New Zealand in 1859, and was for several years engaged in pastoral pursuits. In 1865 Mr. Slater was articled to his father, and at the expiration of his time in 1870, was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand, and shortly after entered into partnership with his father. There is no member of the Bar more respected or better known in Canterbury than Mr. Slater, who for twenty years was honorary secretary to the Canterbury Law Society, and from 1894–1896 its president. For many years he has acted in the capacity of Chancellor of the Diocese of Canterbury. Mr. Slater takes a very active part in the volunteer movement, and is further referred to in the Military section of the volume.
Smith-Ansted, Frederick William, Solicitor, Roper's Buildings, Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr Smith-Ansted is a native of London, and, on his arrival at Lyttelton by the ship “Ashburton,” he proceeded to Rangiora, where he carried on farming for some years. He afterwards studied for the teaching profession, gaining a D certificate, and spent a number of years in the employment of the Canterbury Education Board. During that time he qualified as a chemist and druggist, and was for three years Registrar for the Pharmacy Board of New Zealand. Whilst teaching under the North Canterbury Education Board, Mr. Smith-Ansted also studied law, and was called to the bar as a solicitor in 1900, when he commenced the practice of his profession.
Smithson, George William Cross, Barrister and Solicitor, 208 Hereford Street, Royal Insurance Chambers, Christchurch. P.O. Box 282. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Smithson was born in Christchurch in 1872, and educated at the public schools, and at the Boys' High School. He was articled to Messrs Stringer and Cresswell, and after completing his articles he remained with that firm for three years as managing clerk. Mr. Smithson was called to the bar as a barrister and solicitor in 1898, and immediately commenced the practice of his profession.
Stringer And Cresswell (Thomas Walter Stringer and Walter Joseph Cresswell), Barristers and Solicitors, No. 44 Australian Mutual Provident Society's Buildings, Cathedral Square and Worcester Street, P.O. Box 251. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Agents:—Messrs. Skerrett and Wylie, and Levi and Bolton, Wellington; Messrs. Devore and Cooper, Auckland; Messrs, Fitchett and Thornton, Dunedin; Mr. J. McDonald, Invercargill; Messrs. A. R. and H. Steele, 21 College Hill, London, E.C. Private residences, Mr. Stringer, Colombo Street North, Telephone 177; Mr. Cresswell, Pananui Road. The offices of the firm are in the A.M.P. Buildings, Cathedral Square. Mr. Stringer is Crown Prosecutor, and the firm are solicitors to the Lincoln Agricultural College, Sydenham Borough Council, Sumner Borough Council, Springston Road Board, Amuri County Council, and for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The business was established in 1879.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. J. Cresswell.
Swann, George, Barrister and Solicitor, Maling's Buildings, Worcester Street, Christchurch. P.O. Box 355, Private residence, Dallington, near Christchurch. Mr. swann established his practice in 1882. He is further referred to as an ex-member of the Christchurch City Council.
Thomas, Richard Dunn, Barrister, Solicitor, and Notary Public, 207 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Telephone 145. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Thomas was born in England in 1838, and arrived at Lyttelton in 1857. He was articled to Mr. T. I. Joynt, and admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor in 1871.
Weston, Thomas Shailer, Barrister-at-Law, Solicitor, and Notary Public, Duncan's Buildings, Cashel Street, Christchurch, in partnership with his son, George Thorngate Weston, B.A. and LL.B. Telephone 390; P.O. Box 322. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Bligh's Road, Papanui. Mr. T. S. Weston, who has practised in Christchurch since 1883, was admitted to the practice of his profession at Auckland by the late Chief Justice, Sir George Arney, in June, 1861. He was in practice for over two years in New Plymouth, and was solicitor to the Bank of New Zealand and several other public bodies. He was specially retained in 1862 by the then Governor, Sir George Grey, to defend a native, who, with others in ambush at Ohakara, murdered Lieut. Traggett, Dr. Hope, and several soldiers, on the way from camp at Tataraimaka to New Plymouth. Removing to Invercargill in 1863, Mr. Weston practised in that town, remaining there for a year, during which time he acted for the Union Bank of Australia, the local town board, two large firms of railway contractors, and many business people. He was appointed representative of Southland at the opening of the first exhibition in New Zealand, which was held in Dunedin in 1864, but owing to stress of weather interfering with a steamer's movements, was not able to be present. In 1864 Mr. Weston removed to Auckland, where he practised his profession for nine years. During this time he was engaged in many important criminal and civil cases, and was specially retained by the Government to prosecute a party of natives for the murder of the Rev. Mr. Hamlin at Pukekohe. He was also specially retained by the War Office to act with the local Crown Prosecutor in a commissariat case. In 1873 he was appointed District Judge, being stationed at Napier till February, page 248 875, and afterwards on the West Coast of the Middle Island till October, 1880. During his judgeship, Mr. Weston acted upon divers Royal Commissions, the most important being the Westport Colliery Commission of which he was chairman, and for their labours he and his colleague, Mr. Beetham, now stipendiary magistrate at Christchurch, received acknowledgment in the Statement presented by the Minister of Public Works to the House in 1876. Mr. Weston, and Mr. Allan Holmes, of Dunedin, were appointed in March, 1881, by the judges of the Supreme Court, the first law examiners of the Colony, and as such Mr. Weston acted for five years. He was elected to the House of Representatives for the Grey electorate in 1881. In the following year his district was divided, and he decided to stand for Inangahua, and was returned against two other candidates without even visiting the district. During his political career, Mr. Weston in conjunction with the late Mr. Levin assisted to draft and pass the East and West Coast Railway Act, under which the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company built its line, and was also on several of the most important of the ordinary and special committees of the House, amongst others that set up to report upon the present Supreme Court judicial code and other legal measures. Resigning his seat in 1883, Mr. Weston has since devoted himself to the practice of his profession in Christchurch. He has taken a prominent part since settling in Canterbury in the East and West Coast railway agitation, and has filled many public positions. He was appointed a commissioner under the Representation Amendment Act 1896, upon the recommendation of the House of Representatives; in April, 1901, was appointed by his Excellency the Governor one of the Royal Commissioners to frame a scale of staff and salaries for the primary schools of New Zealand; and has long been chairman of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College, and a member of the Board of Education. Mr. Weston was married in 1867, to a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Hill, solicitor, Auckland, and has four sons, the eldest of whom is a member of the legal profession in practice at New Plymouth; while another, Mr. G. T. Weston, B.A., LL.B., is in partnership with his father.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. T. S. Weston.
Wigley, William Cranstoun Henry, Ll.B. , Barrister and Solicitor, 213 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Telephone 717. The only son of the late Hon. T. H. Wigley, M.L.C., Mr. Wigley was born in 1870 in Christchurch, and was educated at Christ's College, and articled to Mr. Wynn-Williams. He was admitted a barrister of the Supreme Court in 1896, passing at the head of the list, and at once commenced the practice of his profession. Mr. Wigley has been generally interested in athletics; he is a member of the United Cricket Club, and is also fond of tennis and golf. In 1897 he graduated LL.B. at the New Zealand University. Mr. Wigley was married in 1898, to a daughter of the Rev. C. Turrell, M.A., Trinity College, Dublin, sometime professor of languages at Canterbury College.
Wilding, Lewis, And Rolleston (Frederick Wilding—Notary Public—William Miller Lewis, and Arthur Cecil Rolleston), Barristers and Solicitors, 171, Hereford Street, Christchurch, Telephone 24.
Wynn-Williams And Brown (William Henry Wynn-Williams, notary public, and Matthew Stoddart Brown), Barristers and Solicitors, 211 Hereford Street, Christchurch.