The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Christchurch Newspaper Press
Christchurch Newspaper Press.
Residents of Christchurch read their newspapers morning, afternoon, and evening, again at the end of the week, and also when “special editions” are justified by the receipt of very important news. In return for this liberal patronage, they supply the public with all the latest information of the world, written and displayed in a bright and interesting manner. A marked feature of the Canterbury newspapers is the excellent illustrations in the weekly journals, which are sometimes compared favourably with similar productions in the Old World.
The “Lyttelton Times” is the oldest newspaper in the province. The Canterbury Pilgrims landed on the 16th of December, 1850, and the first issue of the “Times” appeared on the 11th of January, 1851, there being absolutely no delay except that necessitated by the reerection of the plant. The establishment of the paper had been arranged by the Canterbury Association, which entered into a contract with Mr Ingram Shrimpton, of the Crown Yard Printing Office, Oxford, to send out the necessary plant in one of the first four ships. Mr John I. Shrimpton, his son, came to Lyttelton in the “Charlotte Jane,” bringing with him the plant and a staff of workers A building was erected in Lyttelton, and very soon the journal was born. Of its first issue, the “London Times” said: “English newspapers, like the British Constitution, have grown gradually into their present strength. We are proud of the acquaintance of our new contemporary, and envious of his power. If the editor of the ‘Lyttelton Times’ could create so much out of nothing, what could he make out of such a breeding heap as this of London.” The late Mr James Edward Fitzgerald, whose name is closely associated with the early history of the colony, was the first editor, and one of the most brilliant early contributors was Mr John Robert Godley. Canon Knowles was the first sub-editor, but at that time he was plain Mr Francis Knowles. Mr Shrimpton was manager and canvasser. After the “Lyttelton Times” had been in existence for over three years, Mr Ingram Shrimpton came from England and took charge, and he was editor for more than a year. He increased the size of the paper, and removed the plant to more commodious premises in Oxford Street. On the 4th of August, 1854, a change was made from a weekly to a bi-weekly, and two years later, the eight pages were extended to twelve. In July, 1856, the journal was sold by Mr Shrimpton to Messrs C. C. Bowen and Crosbie Ward, the price being £5000. Mr Ward became practically the editor, and with his extraordinary power and talent, he sent the paper forward on its career. In 1857, another enlargement was made in size. In 1861 Mr Bowen, who had taken a prominent part in the literary work, sold his interest to Mr William Reeves, and Messrs J. W. Hamilton and T. Maude also became associated with the paper. Owing to the death of Mr Crosbie Ward, Mr Reeves was compelled to undertake control of the literary department, as well as of the commercial side of the enterprise. He introduced many reforms, and among his achievements was the purchase of a stereotyping plant and a webb printing machine. In 1863, two years after Mr Reeves's connection with the “Times” began, a move to Christchurch was necessitated by the growth of the town on the plains, and the seaside domicile was deserted, though the old name was retained. A small cottage in Gloucester Street was found sufficient for all requirements. Not for long, however, as it was soon found necessary to make additions. They were continued from time to time until the present block of brick buildings, three stories high, was erected, to send forth a daily morning newspaper of eight pages, an evening paper (the “Star”) of four pages, and the “Canterbury Times,” an illustrated weekly of sixty-eight pages. The “Canterbury Times” was first issued as a weekly edition of the daily newspaper in 1865, and the “Star” made its first appearance in 1868. Amongst its editors, the “Times” has had, besides those already referred to, Mr R. A. Loughnan, Mr W. P. Reeves (the present Agent-General of the colony), and Mr S. Saunders, the present occupant of the editorial chair. The present manager is Mr J. C. Wilkin. The memory of Mr John Hebden, the first editor of the “Canterbury Times,” when its form was changed in 1878, is still cherished on account of Mr Hebdon's qualities as a man and abilities as a journalist.
The Christchurch “Press” was established in May, 1861, by the late Mr James Edward Fitzgerald. An indication of the object and principles of the founder is given in a letter which he wrote to the late Dean Jacobs: “My dear Jacobs, I want your regular assistance for my new paper, ‘The Press,’ to appear immediately. You must give me an article weekly on some pleasing literary topic—review of books, education, schools, inspection of schools. It will do you good, and us all good, if you will help. We mean, please God, to have the first paper in the colony, and to elevate and vindicate the Press. I want all the talents. And I give you your choice. You must help, regularly and vigorously. It will bore you at first, and become a rest and a luxury to you in a short time. Could you meet me on Saturday? I have been kicked, and can't walk, or I would have called on you. I shall be at the Gresson's Saturday. — James Edward Fitzgerald. Christchurch, May 14th, 1861, P.S. Please show this to Cotterill, and say I must have him too. The state of the colony demands help from all. He could come and talk it over, too. Mr Sale, Fellow and Tutor, of Trinity College, Cambridge, is just appointed working editor.” It was on the 25th of May, 1861, that the first number of the new journal was issued. Mr Watts Russell, of Ham, Mr Henry Lance, of Horsley Downs, Mr H. J. Tancred, the Rev. J. W. Raven, of Woodend, and Mr R. J. S. Harman, of Christchurch, were associated with Mr Fitzgerald in the enterprise. page 237 Professor S. G. Sale, the “working editor,” referred to in Mr Fitzgerald's letter, was the first to wield the editorial pen. Dean Jacobs, who was then the Rev. Henry Jacobs, fully justified Mr Fitzgerald's confidence in him, and gave much valuable literary assistance. Mr Joseph Brittan, of Avonside, was another noted contributor. But the chief controller of the journal, and the author of its political policy, was Mr Fitzgerald himself. The most notable of the paper's early contributors was undoubtedly Mr Samuel Butler, the author of “Erewhon,” “Erewhon Revisited,” a translation of the Odyssey, and other works. On the 17th of March, 1863, the “Press” made its appearance as the first daily newspaper circulated in the province. The 18th of February, 1865, saw the first number of the “Weekly Press,” which afterwards incorporated the “New Zealand Referee,” and has now a very extensive circulation all over the colony. “Truth,” the evening newspaper published by the Press Company, was first issued on the 15th of May, 1893. The “Press” now occupies a very handsome building in Cashel Street.
It may not be out of place to mention here a remarkable publication that still lingers in the memories of many of the earlier settlers. Its title was “Canterbury Punch.” It was no mean follower of its great namesake; and it reflected in its pages the striking talent of its editor, Mr Crosbie Ward. Though it lived for only five months in the early days of the province, and was issued only twenty times, its caustic wit, humour, and brilliancy earned for it a reputation which still survives. In Canterbury, as in other provinces in the colony, there have been newspapers which, though brilliant enough, have died, generally through lack of capital. The “Sun,” once ably conducted by the late Mr W. H. Pilliet, the “Globe,” the Echo,” and the “Telegraph” stand in this category.
The Lyttelton Times Company, Limited, carries on business in extensive premises in Gloucester Street, Christchurch. It owns and publishes the “Lyttelton Times,” “Canterbury Times,” and “Star” newspapers.
Mr. James Clunie Wilkin, Manager and Secretary of the Lyttelton Times Company, Limited, was born in London in 1843. He came to the colony with his parents in the ship “Travancore,” which arrived at Lyttelton in March, 1851. Mr. Wilkin entered the office of the Lyttelton Times in 1857, since which he has been continuously associated with the paper, and for the past twenty years has filled his present position. Mr. Wilkin is president of the Newspaper Proprietors' Association of New Zealand. He was married in 1870, and has six sons and four daughters.
The “Lyttelton Times” is so fully described in the introduction to this section that little need be added in this place. The paper has all along been an advocate of the rights and liberties of the people. It led the battle for representative institutions in the early days. Subsequently it fought to a successful issue the cause of the Lyttelton tunnel, and a railway versus the road. Direct steam communication between the colony and page 238 Great Britain was another undertaking which the paper advocated, and to the “Times” and Mr. Crosbie Ward is due the credit of establishing the Panama mail service, the first of its kind connected with the colony.
Mr. Samuel Saunders, Editor of the “Lyttelton Times,” was born and bred in an atmosphere of journalism. His father, Mr. Alfred Saunders, is well known as an author and politician in New Zealand, and his uncle, Mr. William Saunders, formerly member of the House of Commons for Walworth, was the founder of the Central Press and a successful newspaper proprietor. Mr. Saunders was born in Nelson in 1857, and ten years later was taken to England, where he was educated at Allesley College, a large private school in Warwickshire. He early showed leanings towards journalism, and before he was fourteen was acting as cricket contributor to one of the provincial papers. When sixteen years of age he returned to New Zealand to engage in commercial pursuits, which he followed for a few years, at the same time contributing articles to various newspapers. In 1883 he became editor of the “Ashburton Guardian,” which he conducted for three years, when he was induced by the late Hon. W. Reeves to join the staff of the “Lyttelton Times.” Mr. Saunders edited the “Star” for some time, and afterwards took charge of “The Canterbury Times.” When Mr. W. P. Reeves joined the Ballance Ministry in 1891, Mr. Saunders succeeded him as editor of the “Lyttelton Times,” having previously been associated with Mr. Reeves in much of the routine work of the position. Mr. Saunders takes no part in public life, as, with many leading English journalists, he believes that an editor should keep himself entirely free from personal interests in that direction. He married Miss Johnston, a granddaughter of the late Captain Cargill, the founder and the first Superintendent of the Province of Otago, and has a family of two sons and three daughters.
“The Star,” an evening journal issued by the Lyttelton Times Company, was established in 1868 in opposition to the “Evening Mail,” a Conservative journal published by Mr. Tribe. A fierce struggle for existence ensued between the two papers, but “The Star” reduced its price to one half-penny, and that settled the conflict. Mr. H. M. Reeves is the present editor.
Mr. Hugh Maude Reeves was born in 1869 in Christchurch, and is the youngest son of the late Hon. William Reeves, M.L.C. He was educated at “French Farm,” Akaroa, by Mr. T. S. Baker, then at Cathedral School and at Christ's College. Whilst at the Cathedral School he studied music under Mr. H. Wells. He afterwards went to London, where he took private lessons in singing from Signor Fiori, of the Royal Academy of Music. Since returning to Christchurch, he has been a member of the Liedertafel and of the Cathedral Choir, and he has been regularly in request in connection with various musical societies. Mr. Reeves is a journalist, and is editor of the Christchurch “Star.” He was formerly a prominent athlete, and was the winner of four running championships in the colony. He also went to Sydney with the first athletic team sent to Australia. He was a member of the United Cricket Club, and represented Canterbury in 1890, against Shrewsbury and Lillywhite's English Eleven. Mr. Reeves was married on the 2nd of April, 1902, to the youngest daughter of Dean Harper.
“The Canterbury Times” is a weekly journal, issued by the Lyttelton Times Company, Ltd. It was founded in 1865, when it appeared as a large eight-page sheet, and was chiefly a compilation from the “Lyttelton Times.” The paper now runs into about sixty-eight pages. A complete summary of the news of the week is given, and considerable space is devoted to agricultural and pastoral subjects, to athletics, and to family literature. The “New Zealand Sportsman,” which is incorporated with the “Canterbury Times,” deals with English and colonial racing, and sports of all kinds.
Mr. Walter G. Atack, Editor of “The Canterbury Times,” joined the staff as reader in April, 1878. Subsequently he was promoted to the sub-editorship of the journal, and since 1894 he has occupied his present position. Apart from his literary duties, Mr. Atack has been an influential worker in connection with athletic sports and pastimes. Since 1880 he has been a member and a strong supporter of the Union Rowing Club, and has filled various offices for the past fifteen years. He was also associated with the East Christchurch Football Club, and for two years was chairman of the League of New Zealand Wheelmen. At the present time (1902) he is a member of the Council of the New Zealand Amateur Athletic Association, and of the New Zealand Amateur Swimming Association, as well as a member of the Executive of the Christchurch Regatta Club, and for years has taken a leading part in all the progressive movements in athletic governing bodies. Mr. Atack married, in 1896, a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Atkinson, of Christchurch, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. Phineas Selig, Manager of the Christchurch Press Company, Limited, was born in Melbourne in 1856, and arrived in Wellington at the age of seven years with his parents. After completing his education under the tutorship of Mr. Finnmore, Mr. Mowbray, and Mr Brann (whose schools were the most prominent of the time) Mr. Selig entered the Civil Service as reader in the Government Printing Office, where he remained for some time. In 1871 he joined the staff of the “Lyttelton Times” as reader, but some years later was compelled to resign his position owing to ill-health. He went to Sydney, where he remained for about three years, during which he acted as correspondent for the “Times.” On returning to the colony, Mr. Selig started the “Referee” in copartnership with Mr. A. E. Bird, formerly of the “Canterbury Times” and Melbourne “Sportsman.” The new journal was appointed the Official Calendar for all New Zealand jockey clubs. It was sold to the Christchurch Press Company in 1891, when the “Weekly Press” and “Referee” were amalgamated, and Mr. Selig became editor of the “Referee” portion, which position he occupied until he accepted his present appointment. Mr. Selig has been well known for many years in sporting, dramatic, and athletic circles. He has been president of the New Zealand Trotting Association (the governing body for the sport in New Zealand) since its inception, and president of the Trotting Conference, which holds its sittings annually in Wellington to amend old and make new laws for the betterment of the sport. Mr. Selig is one of the oldest councillors of the New Zealand Amateur Athletic Association, the controlling body for amateur athletics in the colony. He has visited Australia as manager of representative teams competing at the Australasian Championships, and as special correspondent in connection therewith. Mr. Selig is the founder of the Public Schools Amateur Athletic Association of North Canterbury, under the auspices of which the school children make an annual display, which is one of the biggest functions of the year. Mr. Selig, who is a son of the late Rev. B. A. Selig, was married in 1892 to a daughter of Mr. Louis Mendelsohn, one of Dunedin's most respected citizens, and has two daughters.
Mr. P. Selig.
“The Press” , like most colonial newspapers, began in a modest way, and was started to oppose what was considered a growing spirit of extravagance in the administration of the province. Its chief promoter and subsequent proprietor was Mr. J. E. Fitzgerald, one of the ablest thinkers, speakers, and writers associated with the history of New Zealand. The paper was placed under the editorship of Mr. Sale—now Professor of Classics in Otago University—an able writer and a man of the highest scholarship. Mr. Fitzgerald was a constant contributor, and before long became the sole proprietor, and practically editor. He continued to control the paper personally until 1867, when he accepted the position of Comptroller-General of the colony, and removed to Wellington. Mr. J. Colborne-Veel, who had been on the staff from the first, was then appointed editor, and continued to occupy that position, except for a short interval, until 1878, when he accepted an appointment under the North Canterbury Board of Education. He wrote with a bright as well as a telling pen, and was esteemed in journalism for scholarship, a sense of humour, an immense capacity for work, and sterling uprightness of character. In 1878 Mr. John Steele Guthrie, who had already filled in turn the posts of accountant, business-manager, and sub-editor, succeeded to the editorial chair. He occupied the position with an ever-increasing popularity and success until 1894, when, night work becoming too great a strain upon his health, he returned to the business-managership. He was succeeded as editor by Mr. W. H. Triggs, who still occupies the position. Mr. Guthrie's death early in 1900 ended the longest record of unbroken service on the literary staff, practically the whole of his life in the colony having been spent upon “The Press.” Mr. Guthrie was succeeded as manager, first by Mr. C. Hiorns, and subsequently by Mr. P. Selig. The Chairman of Directors is Mr. G. G. Stead.
The history of the paper is a continuous record of material progress. So successful was the enterprise at the start that after appearing for a time twice and then thrice a week, “The Press” was issued as a daily newspaper early in 1863. It was the first daily newspaper published in Canterbury, and also the first to reduce its price to one penny, a step which it took in 1879. The experiment was an entire success, and in 1887 a further step in advance was taken when “The Press” was enlarged to an eight-page penny paper. This last change necessitated the introduction of fresh machinery, and in that year the proprietors erected one of John Foster and Sons' new webb printing and folding machines. They also commenced the erection of the new and handsome premises in which “The Press,” “The Weekly Press,” and “Truth” are now published. Since then the growing circulation of the papers named has necessitated the purchase of another machine—a Goss “straight-line”—a fine example of the perfection to which the modern printing press has been brought.
As regards the literary and political conduct of the paper, “The Press” has been very fortunate in enlisting the services of the most talented writers in Canterbury. Such men as Fitzgerald, Sale, and Colborne-Veel would have given distinction to any newspaper, and among other notable contributors to its columns may be mentioned Mr. Samuel Butler, the author of “Erewhon,” the Hon. C. C. Bowen and the late Dean Jacobs. Portions of Mr. Butler's remarkable satire, which has become one of the classics of the age, first appeared in “The Press,” in the form of letters to the editor.
As for the policy of the paper, it has always taken a broad and liberal view of great questions, and has eschewed pettiness and parochialism, both in its news and in its views. It was a strenuous advocate of the self-reliant policy of Sir Frederick Weld, which resulted in the withdrawal of the Imperial troops at the time of the Maori war, and in the colony undertaking the responsibility of its own defence. It also advocated vigorously the abolition of the provinces; and the liberalisation of the colony's system of education has always been one of its strongest planks.
At the outbreak of the Transvaal war, indeed for some time before war was declared, “The Press” took up a very strong Imperial attitude. It was foremost in urging that New Zealand should send Contingents to take part in the war, and at the very outset pointed out that the safety of the Empire depended on the colonies rallying round the Mother Country in the crisis which had arisen. When the first two Contingents had been despatched by the Government, and there seemed a disposition to think that the colony had done its share. “The Press” vigorously urged that more men should be sent. By way of eliciting an expression of public opinion on the subject it invited those of its readers who agreed with its views to send in their names, and a contribution of one shilling a head to the “More Men Fund,” which was opened at the office of the paper. The result was unparalleled in the history of New Zealand journalism. In little more than three weeks no fewer than 13,000 names and shillings were received, the list occupying many columns of closely printed type. The paper also sent telegrams to all members of Parliament and to the Mayors throughout New Zealand, inviting their views on the subject, and the result was an overwhelming expression of opinion to the effect that more men should be sent. So great was the enthusiasm on the subject that the Third Contingent, which was at once formed, was equipped, horsed, and landed in South Africa by private subscription; other contingents were afterwards despatched by the Government as they were required. The money raised by the shilling subscription to the “More Men Fund” was principally devoted to the purchase of comforts for the New Zealanders in the field, and a contribution was also made to the “Patriotic Fund” for the benefit of the page 240 wounded and those dependent on them. A substantial parcel of comforts was sent to each individual member of the first four New Zealand Contingents, and included in each was a souvenir card, bearing an autograph message kindly furnished for the occasion by Lady Ranfurly. Special correspondents were sent to the scene of the war by “The Press,” working in conjunction with the “Otago Daily Times,” the “Wellington Post,” and the “New Zealand Herald.” This was a new feature in journalism so far as New Zealand papers were concerned. The same papers subsequently despatched Mr. Arthur Adams, a special correspondent, to the Far East, at the time of the outbreak of hostilities in China.
Mr. William Henry Triggs, F.J.I., Editor of “The Press,” was born in Chichester, Sussex, England, in 1855, and adopted journalism as his profession at the age of seventeen. After six years' experience in England, chiefly in London and its neighbour hood, Mr. Triggs came out to New Zealand in 1878, under engagement to the Wellington “Post.” He succeeded Mr. C. Rous-Marten as sub-editor of that journal, and occupied the position until 1884. During that year —one of the most exciting in the political history of New Zealand—Mr. Triggs acted as Wellington correspondent of “The Press” (Christchurch), “Otago Daily Times” (Dunedin), “New Zealand Herald” (Auckland), the Melbourne “Argus,” and other journals. In January, 1885, he was appointed to succeed Mr. Edward Wakefield as editor of the “Timaru Herald,” but, the paper changing hands in April, 1886, he joined the editorial staff of “The Press,” with which he has been connected ever since. In 1894 Mr. Triggs visited England, and was the guest of the English Journalists' Institute at the annual conference held in Norwich and Cambridge that year. He also attended, as New Zealand's representative, the first International Congress of the Press held at Antwerp, at which many eminent journalists from all parts of Europe were present. In 1894 he was elected a member of the English Journalists' Institute, and in 1901 was elected to the Fellowship of the Institute—an honour at that time held by no other journalist in Australasia. Mr. Triggs has been a member of the New Zealand Institute from its foundation, and was elected president in 1901. On his return from England, in December, 1894, Mr. Triggs was appointed associate-editor of “The Press,” in conjunction with the late Mr. John Steele Guthrie. A few months later he was appointed sole editor, Mr. Guthrie devoting himself entirely to the duties of manager.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. H. Triggs.
“Truth,” a daily evening newspaper published by the Christchurch Press Company, has arisen out of the ashes of two less lusty predecessors. The first evening newspaper owned by the Press Company was the “Globe,” established by Mr. C. A. Pritchard, in 1874, and afterwards purchased by the Company. In 1881 another evening paper, the “Telegraph,” was started in Christchurch, which ran as a separate concern for two years, and was then also purchased by the Press Company. The “Globe” was incorporated with it, and the paper ran until 1893, when it was re-organised and given the name of “Truth,” which it still retains. “Truth” has always been distinguished for fearless criticism, and in this connection the paper's exposure of Worthington and Clampett are matters of history. “Truth” has had many trenchant writers on its staff, and has won a reputation, which it still maintains, as one of the brightest and most enterprising and courageous daily journals in the colony.
“The Weekly Press And Referee.” “The Weekly Press,” now an illustrated newspaper magazine of from seventy to seventy-six pages, was established in 1865 as a news summary for distant readers. It was by many years the first journal in New Zealand to illustrate current events, and on Mr. G. G. Stead becoming Chairman of Directors and Managing Director of the Christchurch Press Company, this side of its work was pushed with extraordinary enterprise, until the “Weekly Press” was looked upon throughout the colony as the New Zealand pictorial record. The “Weekly Press” was quick to avail itself of the then rising art of engraving in half-tone, and a strong process engraving department was established in the Press Company's buildings, in which a high standard of quality was made a first requirement. The “New Zealand Referee,” the official organ of most of the sporting clubs and associations of the colony, having been incorporated with the “Weekly Press,” the combination proved acceptable to the greater part of the population of New Zealand, and the circulation rose by leaps and bounds. This process was accelerated by the enterprise displayed when the Transvaal war broke out, such prompt arrangements being made for representation at the front by special photographers, that it was easily first in the field with illustrations of the fighting. The tone of the literary and social matter published in the “Weekly Press” makes it welcome in every family in the colony, and it enjoys a genuine popularity. New Zealanders are justly proud of the “Weekly Press” Christmas numbers, which, under the title of “New Zealand Illustrated,” have done wonders to exhibit the beauties of the colony and attract to it settlers and tourists.
Mr. A. H. Bristed, Editor of “The Weekly Press and Referee,” was born in London, and was educated at private schools. In 1879 he came to New Zealand as survey cadet to Messrs Dennison and Grant, Oamaru, and after completing his cadetship was certificated as an authorised surveyor by the late Mr. Arthur, Chief Surveyor of Otago, Mr. Bristed was engaged in contract survey work in Otago, and subsequently was on the Government Survey Staff in Canterbury, as assistant to Mr. J. E. Pickett. He joined the “Press” newspaper as junior reporter in 1884, and was promoted to his present position in April, 1886. Mr. Bristed married, in 1894, the younger daughter of the late Mr. E. G. Griffith, of Avonside, and has three sons.
The “Spectator,” an Independent illustrated journal devoted to society, sport, literature, and political matters, is published weekly in Christchurch by the proprietor, Mr. G. W. Russell. It is a Crown folio of twenty four pages, and circulates chiefly throughout the South Island. The office is 185 Gloucester Street. The scope of the paper embraces, principally, items of social interest, and its strong feature is its outspokenness. It is profusely illustrated by artists specially employed, and illustrations are regularly received from all parts of the Colony. The circulation of the “Spectator” has increased wonderfully under the present proprietary, and it is expected that it will have to be considerably enlarged in the near future. Its owner, Mr. Russell, is referred to in another section of this volume as a member of Parliament.
The “Mercantile and Bankruptcy Gazette of New Zealand” (The Trade Auxiliary Company Ltd., proprietors), Hobbs' Buildings, Christchurch. The “Mercantile Gazette” was for many years published in Dunedin prior to 1887, when the “Weekly Advertiser,” which had been established in Christchurch by Messrs Russell and De Veaux about 1883, was incorporated with it. The “Mercantile Gazette” continued to be published in Dunedin till 1890, when the Trade Auxiliary Company was incorporated to purchase the goodwill of that journal, together with “The Trade Protection Gazette,” a journal which had been published since 1887 in Wellington by the New Zealand Mutual Creditors' Association, Ltd., and the “Gazette” has since been continued under the same style in Christchurch. This journal, which is well known throughout the whole of New Zealand, as well as in the principal cities of Australia, supplies regular information respecting all the bankruptey proceedings in the Colony, and gives complete information of all Instruments under the “Chattels Transfer Act,” and of applications for patents. Regular share and market reports are also published in its columns, and it includes partnerships, and the registrations of companies and the estates of deceased persons.