The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The Rev. Charles Ebenezer Ward
The Rev. Charles Ebenezer Ward, Superintendent of the Christchurch Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Church, was born, in New Plymouth, New Zealand, in 1856, and is the third son of the late Rev. Robert Ward, founder of the Primitive Methodist Church in New Zealand. He was educated at the Wesley College, Auckland, under the late Rev. J. H. Fletcher. On the outbreak of the Maori war in the Taranaki district, he joined the Forest Rangers under the late Major Sir Harry Atkinson, and received the New Zealand war medal for his services. In 1870 he entered the Primitive Methodist Church at Goulbourn, New South Wales, and afterwards at Newcastle. Mr. Ward remained in New South Wales for seven. years. He then returned to New Zealand and took charge of the Primitive Methodist church at Timaru. Mr. Ward subsequently laboured at Invercargill, Dunedin, Wellington, and Auckland. He has twice been President of the Conference, and for five years yas editor of the Connexional Organ, a paper that has a large circulation throughout the colony.