The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Wesleyan Church, Woolston. In the early sixties services were held in a house— which is still standing—on the right hand side of the Ferry Road, opposite the present tram crossing. A site was afterwards given by Mr. Gould, on a side street leading to the river, and a church capable of seating 100 persons was built. In 1878 the present site of half an acre, with a frontage to two streets, was purchased by Mr. J. Ballantyne, and held until the church raised the cost. The church was removed thither in 1885, and enlarged, and another removal and addition took place subsequently. Woolston at that time was a very small settlement, but through the establishment of several thriving industries it became a well-populated district. This necessitated further provision for the accommodation of the growing congregation, and in 1897 the present church building, which seats 300 persons, was erected at an outlay of £700. There is a growing Sunday school, and with the advancement of the district it will necessarily become very large, and need better provision.