The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Colombo Street Wesleyan Church
Colombo Street Wesleyan Church is the headquarters of the Christchurch South Circuit, and occupies the corner block of Colombo Road and Brougham Street, opposite the Sydenham Park. The building, which is a compact one, is of stone with white facings, and the windows are of Gothic design. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs G. Gould in 1877, and the church was opened on the 3rd of February, 1878, at a cost of £2650. The subsequent erection of galleries cost an extra £520, and the parsonage in Harper Street was erected in 1880 at an outlay of £970, including the cost of the land. In 1886 the Sunday school, with a central hall to seat 300, and over a dozen class-rooms, was built, at a cost of over £600. Over 300 scholars are at present (1902) in attendance. In 1889 the Rev. L. M. Isitt projected a gymnasium for the young people, and a further strip of land was purchased behind the schoolroom, and a large building erected at a cost of £700.