The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The Rev. Charles Richard Pollock
The Rev. Charles Richard Pollock, Honorary Canon of Christchurch Cathedral, and Chaplain-in-Ordinary to the Bishop of Christchurch youngest son of the late Venerable William Pollock, D.D., Vicar of Bowdon, Honorary Canon of Chester Cathedral and Archdeacon of Chester, was born in Liverpool in 1853, his mother being a daughter of the Very Rev. Dr Keatinge, Dean of St. Patrick's, Dublin. He was educated at Atherstone Grammar School, Warwickshire, and at Bowdon College, Cheshire, and, after an interval of ten years, spent for the most part in visits to the Australian colonies, residence in Smyrna, and travelling in the United States, Canada, India, Turkey, Greece, Egypt, Asia Minor, and other parts of the East, went through the course of theological study for Holy Orders at St. Aidan's College, Birkenhead, under the (now) Most Rev. Dr William Saumarez Smith, Archbishop of Sydney, passing out First Class with the Certificate of Merit. He was ordained deacon at Chester in 1879, a priest in 1880, by the Right Rev. Dr Jacobson, Bishop of Chester. His first curacy—1879–1882—was that of St. John's, Altrincham, whence he went to the curacy of Stevenage, [gap — reason: illegible] (1882–1884). In 1884 he was elected to the position of Organising Secretary of the A.C.S. (Home Missions of the Church of England; Additional Curates Society), and for nearly nine years filled that office in the dioceses of Lichfield, Hereford, Gloucester and Bristol, Bangor, St. Asaph, Llandaff and St. David's, while for one year he occupied a similar post in the dioceses of Rochester and St. Alban's. In 1893, at the invitation of the late Earl Cawdor, he became Rector of the united parishes of St. Petrox and Stackpole Elidur, alins Cheriton, and Vicar of Cheriton, in Pembrokeshire, diocese of St. David's, and resigned the living at the end of 1895. In 1897, having a preference for the constitution of the Church as it exists in the colonies, he accepted charge of the unformed parish of Trevallyn, Tasmania, and in the following year visited New Zealand, with a view to establishing himself in the Christchurch diocese. Having acted as an officiating minister in Christchurch in 1899 and locum tenens of Avonside, Christchurch, in 1900–1, he was appointed chaplainin-ordinary to the Bishop, and honorary canon of the Cathedral, both in 1901. Canon Pollock is a descendant of Fulbert de Pollock, who, with his brother Maxwell Stirling, came over with William the Conqueror and settled near Paisley, in Renfrewshire. The old place, Pollockshaws, is still standing after many restorations. The family arms are the Royal Arms of France (three fleurs de lys), having been bestowed by King Louis XI. upon Sir Thomas Pollock, then serving with the Scottish Guard in France, for a signal act of bravery. He is also a descendant of Bishop Jeremy Taylor, an original miniature portrait of whom is still in the family, being in possession of Canon Pollock's brother, the Rev. Jeremy Taylor Pollock, Honorary Canon of Carlisle Cathedral, England. Canon Pollock married, in 1895, the daughter of J. T. Powell, M.D., of City Road, London, well known in Masonic circles, and as surgeon of the London Post Office Volunteers. Canon Pollock is the contributor of various articles in prose and verse to “Church Work” and the “Home Mission Field,” and the author of a pamphlet entitled “Sunday School Organisation and Instruction,” and is also the composer of “A few very Simple Chants and Hymn-tunes,” published by Haydn Grover, London.