The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The Rev. Phillip John Cocks
The Rev. Phillip John Cocks, B.A. (New Zealand University), Vicar of St. Mark's, is a son of the late Rev. H. B. Cocks, Sometime incumbent of Sydenham, Christchurch, and was born in Worcestershire, England, in 1866. He accompanied his father to New Zealand in 1873; was educated at Christ's College and afterwards at the Canterbury College; took his B.A. degree in 1890; was ordained deacon in 1890, and priest in 1894, by the Bishop of Christchurch. Mr. Cocks was curate at Governor's Bay from 1891 till 1892, curate at Timaru to Arohdeacon Harper from 1892 till 1894, and from that year till 1895 curate at St. Michael's, Christchurch. In 1895 Mr. Cocks was appointed vicar of Southbridge, and held that position until he became vicar of St. Mark's, Opawa, in 1902. Mr. Cocks married Miss Gebbie, daughter of the late Mr. John Gebbie, a prominent settler on the Peninsula.