The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Standish and Preece, photo.
Lieut.-Com. H. S. Hewlett.
Lieutenant Charles George Curtis, of the Lyttelton Naval Artillery, first joined the cadet corps of the Boys' High School in 1888, and remained until 1891. He joined his present corps with the rank of junior lieutenant in 1898, and has held the position of senior lieutenant since February, 1900. Mr. Curtis, who is managing clerk of the Westport Coal Company at Lyttelton, and son of Mr. Charles Curtis, coal merchant, of that town, was born in Dunedin in 1875. He was educated at the Boys' High School, Christchurch, and afterwards employed on the clerical staff of the Lyttelton Harbour Board. In 1897 he was appointed to his present position. Mr. Curtis is a great lover of all athletic sports, and has been for many years a member of the Lyttelton Rowing Club, of which he was for seven years secretary and treasurer. He has won numerous prizes in the various local regattas.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Lieut. C. G. Curtis.
Captain Ynyr William James Donald, of the E Battery Field Artillery, has been identified with the volunteer movement in Canterbury and Otago, and first joined the Temuka Rifles in 1874. Later on he joined the Christ's College Rifles, in which he remained about two years. On the tormation of the Lyttelton Naval Brigade in 1880 he joined that corps, and was subsequently elected lieutenant. Owing to his removal from Canterbury to Otago in connection with his duties in the Bank of New Zealand, Captain Donald retired from the Lyttelton Naval Brigade and joined the Otago Hussars, in which he remained until his return to Christchurch in 1888. He was then asked by his old corps, the Lyttelton Naval Artillery, to rejoin with the rank of lieutenant, he accepted this invitation, and remained with the corps until 1890, when he was transferred to the E Battery. In 1895 he was promoted to the position of captain. Captain Donald, who was born at Lyttelton, is the son of the late Dr. Donald, one of the most esteemed of Canterbury's pioneer colonists. He was educated at Christ's College, and afterwards joined the service of the Bank of New Zealand, of which he was an officer at Temuka, and at a branch in Otago. Since his return in 1888 he has been connected with the Christchurch office, in which he now holds the position of bill clerk. Captain Donald has for many years been prominently connected with Freemasonry.
Captain Y. W. J. Donald.
Lieutenant Charles J. Treleaven, of the E Battery, N.Z.F.A., was born in Christchurch in 1866. He joined the E Battery in 1885, and received his commission as lieutenant in 1899. In his leisure time Lieutenant Treleaven has always taken a keen interest in volunteering and in athletic sports generally.
Surgeon-Captain William Diamond was appointed Honorary Surgeon to the E Battery on the 18th of March, 1897.
Captain Joseph Thomas Brice, of the N Battery, joined on the formation of the corps in 1885, as a gunner. He received the commission of lieutenant in 1887, and was elected captain in April, 1902, after the retirement of Captain McIntyre. Captain Brice was born in Northumberland, England, in 1854, and came to New Zealand by the ship “Rangitikei” in 1877. After some time at Little Akaloa Bay, he joined the staff of Messrs Hobday and Co., of Christchurch, and remained with that firm for two years. In 1882 he settled at Lyttelton and started his present business as a clothier and draper. Captain Brice has been a member of the Lyttelton Borough Council for eleven years, and has been twice mayor, in 1892 and 1893 successively. He has been a member of the Lyttelton Harbour Board, and also of the borough school committee, of which he was chairman for one year. Captain Brice has been a Justice of the Peace since 1890; he is a churchwarden of Holy Trinity Church, Lyttelton, and has for over twenty years been a member of the Lyttelton Regatta Committee. As a Freemason he is a Past Master of the Canterbury Kilwinning Lodge. In the order of Oddfellows he has twice been Noble Grand Master, and is at present Provincial Grand Master of the Manchester Unity of the Lyttelton District. Captain Brice is married, and his son is at present a sergeant in the N Battery.
Second Lieutenant James Palmer, of the N Battery, first joined the Lyttelton Navals in 1889, and remained in that corps until 1891. He was transferred to the N Battery, and elected lieutenant in January, 1892. In 1897 Lieutenant Palmer resigned, but rejoined the corps again in 1901 with the rank of lieutenant. He is elsewhere referred to as a man of business.
Lieut. J. Palmer.
Surgeon-Captain Thomas Wyld Pairman, who has been attached to the N Battery since the 27th of July, 1891 is referred to elsewhere as a medical practitioner.
The Rev. Edward Eliot Chambers has been Honorary Chaplain to the N Battery since the 26th of August, 1885. He is elsewhere referred to as vicar of Holy Trinity, Lyttelton.
Captain A. M. McIntyre has long been known in connection with volunteering. He joined the Wellington Navals in 1879, and the Wellington D Battery in 1882. Having removed to Lyttelton, he joined the N Battery page 135 of the Garrison Artillery on its formation in 1885, when he held the position of lieutenant in the newly-formed corps. In 1899 he was gazetted captain, and was advanced to the rank of acting-major on the 14th of November, 1901. Captain McIntyre has long been recognised as a most energetic officer, and as a man whose heart was in his work. Unfortunately he had to retire from the command of his corps in April, 1902, on account of ill-health, but was placed on the Unattached Active List, with a position on the District Staff.
Captain John Joseph Dougall, of the Canterbury Engineers, is a native of Aberdeenshire, Scotland. He was born in 1862, arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Merope” at the age of twelve years, and subsequently attended Mr. Gee's school in Christchurch. He was brought up to the legal profession with Messrs. Garrick and Co., being admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1896. His career as a volunteer commenced in 1878 as member of the High School Cadets. Two years later he joined the E Battery of Artillery as a gunner, and after seventeen years' service retired with the rank of lieutenant to assume the command of the Canterbury Engineers. Mr. Dougall is a director of the Canterbury Caledonian Society, and as a Freemason he is District Grand Master of the Scottish Constitution. He was married in 1886 to a daughter of Mr. J. S. Wagner, of Christchurch, and has two sons and two daughters. Mr. Dougall is further referred to in the legal section of this work.
Senior Lieutenant Augustus William Jones, of the Canterbury Engineer Volunteers, joined the Queen's Cadets in 1891, and left that corps with the rank of colour-sergeant in 1894. Having the choice of a lieutenancy in the Cadets or a sappership in the Engineers, he accepted the latter position, which he held until he was transferred twelve months later to the Rangiora Rifles, from which he retired after two years' service, with the rank of sergeant. On his return to Christchurch in 1897 Mr. Jones was transferred to the Canterbury Engineer Corps as sapper, and was promoted twelve months later to sergeant-major. In 1900 he was appointed sub-lieutenant, and in 1901 was gazetted first lieutenant. He was born in London, in 1871, and three years later accompanied his parents in the ship “Rakaia” to Lyttelton. He was educated at Christchurch, and is now a partner in the firm of Messrs Jones and Sons, jewellers, Christchurch.
Surgeon-Captain Percival C. Fenwick, of the Canterbury Engineer Volunteers, is referred to elsewhere as a medical practitioner.
The Rev. Walter Bean, Honorary Chaplain to the Canterbury Engineer Volunteers, is elsewhere referred to as vicar of Addington, Christchurch.