Mr. Charles Hood Williams,
J.P., Secretary and treasurer of the Lyttelton Harbour Board, is of Welsh extraction, but was born in Edinburgh, in the year 1844. He arrived with his father, Mr David Theodore Williams, B.A. (Oxon.), in Port Cooper in December, 1850, by the ship “Randolph” on the same day that the first ship, the “Charlotte Jane,” entered port. Mr. Williams was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, being one of the first five pupils who presented themselves at the opening of that school in 1852. After studying sheepfarming for a couple of years on his brother-in-law's station at Pareora, near Timaru, he entered the Union Bank of Australia, in 1861, but left on account of ill-health, after three years' service. He joined the Provincial Government service in Christchurch in 1864 as a clerk, under Mr. (now the Hon.) W. Rolfeston, provincial secretary. Mr Hood Williams subsequently held office as assistant secretary for public works from 1873 to 1877, or until the abolition of the provinces at the end of
Intercolonial Steamers Loading at No. 2 Jetty, Lyttelton.
1876. Early in March, 1877, he was appointed secretary and treasurer to the Lyttelton Harbour Board, and has held that post for twenty-five years Mr. Williams has always taken a keen interest in sporting and athletics, and has been a member of the committee of the Canterbury Jockey Club since 1882; he was also for several years president of the Canterbury Amateur Athletic Club. He was married, in 1873, to a daughter of Mr R. H. Allard, of Christchurch, an early settler, and has three daughters and one son.
The “Discovery” Leaving Lyttelton for the Antarctic: December 21st, 1901.