The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The present form of civic government in Christchurch came into force on the 10th of June, 1868, when the members of the Council signed the following declaration: “I do solemnly declare that I will faithfully and impartially, according to the best of my skill and judgment, execute all the powers and authorities reposed in me as a councillor by virtue of the Municipal Corporations Act, 1867.” Since that date ninety-seven citizens of Christchurch, exclusive of the present councillors, have been members of the City Council. Their names show that some of the best men of the past and of the present have given their services to the city, which has within its boundaries many civic improvements and public works that testify to a union of enterprise and good sense in the municipal administration.
Mr. John Anderson was a Member of the first town board of Christchurch, and also of the first City Council. He will be remembered as the pioneer of the engineering industry in Canterbury, as he established the first foundry in the province. An outline of his interesting career is given in the section devoted to ex-mayors.
Mr. John Craib Angus, who was in business in Cashel Street as a saddler, in the early days, was a member of the Christchurch City Council in 1868.
Mr. William Calvert, a Member of the first Christchurch City Council, was born in Surrey, England, in 1817, and educated at private schools in his native city. He arrived at Lyttelton in 1859, and began business as a tinsmith and ironmonger in Victoria Street, Christchurch. Mr. Calvert afterwards removed to the Triangle, where he carried on his business till his death nineteen years after his arrival in New Zealand. He was an active member of the Wesleyan Church, and acted as one of its local preachers.
Mr. Andrew Duncan took a very active part in the local polities of his day. He was a member of the first City Council, and was afterwards Mayor of Christchurch. Mr. Duncan is further referred to amongst the city's past mayors.
Mr. James Purvis Jameson was a Member of the Christchurch City Council in 1868, and during several succeeding years. He is further referred to among the ex-mayors of Christchurch.
Mr. John George Ruddenklau was a Member of the first City Council in 1868, and was again elected in 1877. He is elsewhere referred to as an ex-mayor of Christchurch.
Mr. Henry Sawtell was a Member of the first City Council in 1868, and he was again returned in 1871. Subsequently he became mayor of Christchurch, and he is elsewhere referred to in that capacity.
Mr. Walter Allen Sheppard, who was a Member of the first Christchurch City Council, is a son of Mr. James Sheppard, a flour miller, of Bath, England. He was born in 1836, educated at Bath, and brought up to the business of milling. About the year 1854, he came out to Australia, where, after spending two years on the gold diggings, he became connected with the timber trade at Ballarat. After being some time in that business, he left Australia for New Zealand, and has been connected with various business undertakings during his long residence in Christchurch.
Mr. Henry Thomson, J.P., who was a Member of the first City Council, was reelected in 1875, and sat as a member for several years. He became mayor of Christchurch for one term, and afterwards represented the city in the House of Representatives. Mr. Thomson is more fully referred to as a former member of Parliament.
Mr. Thomas Tombs was a Member of the Town Council which was merged into the first City Council in 1868. He was born in Gloucestershire, England, in the year 1809, was brought up to the trade of a builder, and came to New Zealand by the ship Duke of Portland,” on her second voyage in 1852. Mr. Tombs followed his trade in Christchurch with credit and success, and built the Christchurch Club, Messrs Cook and Ross's shop, Miles and Co.'s buildings, the first Avonside Church, as well as many other places. After a useful life Mr. Tombs died in 1880, leaving a widow and five children. One of the sons is Mr. George Tombs, J.P., partner in the firm of Messrs Whitcombe and Tombs, Limited.
Mr. William Wilson, the first Mayor of Christchurch, took an active part in the inauguration of the City Council, and was previously chairman of the town board. He again entered the Council in 1878. He is referred to in another article as and ex-mayor of Christchurch.
Mr. Edward Brenchley Bishop, who is further referred to as an ex-mayor, was a Member of the Town Council prior to the inception of the City Corporation. He retired from the Council in 1875, after bringing up a scheme for the sanitary improvement of the city, and was presented with an illuminated address and a copy of a resolution thanking him for his services.
Mr. M. B. Hart was a Member of the City Council from 1869 to 1872.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. Pratt.
Mr. James Goss was for six years a Member of the Christchurch City Council, which he entered in 1870. He was born in London, where he was brought up to the building trade, and where his father was a builder. Mr. Goss landed in New Zealand in 1858, and in the following year established himself in business as a builder in Christchurch, and carried on successfully as such till 1868. Mr. Goss then became a timber merchant, and soon after established a sawmill, where he carried on a large and important trade, including builders' ironmongery, and a joinery factory for the supply of the trade. He died in Christchurch on the 17th of May, 1901.
Mr. Frederick Hobbs, J.P., who is referred to among the ex-mayors of Christchurch, became a member of the City Council in 1870, and was re-elected in 1873 and 1876.
Mr. Thomas Devereux Jones was elected a Member of the City Council in 1870. and was again returned in 1873 and 1876. He was in business as a grocer in High Street for several years.
Mr. Charles Thomas Ick, who is elsewhere referred to as an ex-mayor of Christchurch, first entered the City Council in 1872. He was re-elected in 1874, and again in 1877.
Mr. Frederick Jenkins was first elected a Member of the City Council in 1872, and was again returned in 1878 and 1882. At one time he owned a sawmill on Ferry road, and did an extensive business.
Mr. Thomas Williams, who was in business in Christchurch in the early days as an ironfounder, became a member of the City Council in 1872.
Mr. Henry Crooks first entered the City Council in 1873 and was re-elected in 1883 and 1887 as a member of the north-east ward. He carried on the business of a nurseryman and florist in Salisbury Street for many years.
Mr. Samuel Charles Farr was a Member of the Town Council prior to the creation of the Corporation, and was elected to the City Council in 1873, when he served another term. He is referred to elsewhere in this volume in the section devoted to Old Colonists.
Mr. James Gapes, J.P., whose biography is given among the ex-mayors of Christchurch, entered the City Council in 1873, and sat as a member for several years.
Mr. William Hannibal Lane, J.P., ex-Member of the Christchurch City Council, third son of the late Mr. William Lane, J.P., of Orton Park, Bathurst, New South Wales, was born at Bathurst in 1828, and educated at Bradley's School, Parramatta. He followed pastoral pursuits in connection with his father's estate in New South Wales. Mr. Lane held a commission as Justice of the Peace under Governor Fitzroy for the whole territory of Australia. In 1862, he removed with his family to Christchurch, having previously purchased the City Mills from the late Mr. Inwood. Mr. Lane was a member of the Christchurch City Council in its early days, also a director and for some time chairman of the gas company soon after its formation. He is now a director of the company. Mr. Lane was on the board of the first Investment and Loan Association from its commencement until its expiration, and held a similar position in the present Permanent Investment Association. He was also one of the first directors of the “Press” Newspaper Company. Mr. Lane is a life member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association. He married in 1852 a daughter of Mr. Lancelot Iredale, of Sydney, and has three sons and three daughters living.
Standish and Preece, photo
Mr. W. H. Lane.
Mr. Alfred Isaac Raphael, who was a Member of the Christchurch City Council in 1874 and 1875, was a progressive and useful member, whose earnest and untiring efforts contributed considerably to the city's progress. He was born in England in 1833, and educated in London. After leaving school he sailed for Australia, and was for some time in Melbourne, which he left in the latter part of 1862, when he arrived in Christchurch, where he carried on an estate, commission and financial agency business fill the time of his death in 1875. Mr. Raphael took a deep interest in all that concerned the welfare of the community. He was married in 1856, and left a widow, six sons, and three daughters.
Mr. A. I. Raphael.
Mr. James George Hawkes was a well-known figure in business circles in Christchurch for many years. He was an auctioneer, and his business premises were situated on the site now occupied by Messrs Tonks. Norton and Co. Mr. Hawkes entered the City Council in 1875. He took an active part in the volunteer movement, and was captain of one of the city corps.
Mr. Wilhelm Schmidt became a Member of the City Council in 1875. He built the New Zealander Hotel in Christchurch, and conducted it for some time.
Mr. C. W. Turner became a Member of the City Council in 1875. He is referred to in the section devoted to Old Colonists.
Mr. W. D. Wood entered the City Council in 1875. He is referred to elsewhere as an Old Colonist.
Mr. James Alexander Bird first entered the City Council in 1876. He is the local representative of the Liverpool and London and Globe Insurance Company, and as such is referred to in the section devoted to insurance.
Mr. William Radcliffe was elected a Member of the City Council in 1877. He was in business in Christchurch for several years, and bought and carried on the grocery business of Mr. J. P. Jameson. Subsequently Mr. Radcliffe took over Warner's Hotel, which he conducted for some time.page 112
Mr. Enoch Henry Banks, at one time a Member of the Christchurch City Council, was born in 1835 in Worcester, England, where he was educated. Arriving in Auckland in 1858, Mr. Banks established himself in business in Christchurch five years later as a grain and produce merchant, having travelled from Auckland by the ketch “Pegasus,” which was wrecked and abandoned at Summer. For six years Mr. Banks served in the Volunteer Fire Police Force, and was a member of No. 1 Christchurch Rifles, the earliest volunteer corps formed in Christchurch, and afterwards E Battery, from which he retired with the rank of sergeant after serving seven years. For many years Mr. Banks acted as judge at the agricultural and poultry shows. Though a staunch freetrader, he has always displayed practical sympathy with the country's local industries. Mr. Banks has been a prominent member of the Industrial Association, having held the position of its chairman and subsequently that of treasurer for many years. He was closely connected with three exhibitions held in Christchurch, on each occasion acting as treasurer. Mr. Banks has been an enterprising Colonist, and had the honour of being the first to send New Zealand produce to Philadelphia, where he was awarded at the International Exhibition held there in 1876, a bronze medal and certificate for pearl-barley, split-peas, and cereals, by the United States Centennial Commission; and at the Queensland, Sydney, and Melbourne Exhibitions of 1878 and 1881, respectively, Mr. Banks obtained a bronze and silver medal, besides fifteen certificates for cereals. In 1862, he was married to a daughter of Mr. John Cullen, of Langport, Somersetshire. Mrs. Banks died in 1896, leaving three sons and a daughter.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. E. H. Banks.
Professor Alexander William Bickerton, who is referred to at length in the educational section of this volume, became a member of the City Council in 1877.
Mr. Charles Edwin Briggs became a Member of the Christchurch City Council in 1877. For many years he was employed at the office of the “Lyttelton Times” Company, and rose to the position of manager. Subsequently he became manager of the Christchurch “Press” Company. He is now (1902) an extra clerk in the Audit Office, Government Buildings, Wellington.
Mr. Henry Toomer arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Caroline Coventry” on the 9th of June, 1869. He was a native of Somersetshire, England, where he was brought up as a boot manufacturer. Mr. Toomer showed considerable enterprise in his trade, and he was one of the first manufacturers in England to introduce the present system of bootmaking, using brass rivets and machinery. This system he was the first to adopt in New Zealand, and he was a successful manufacturer for many years in Christchurch. Mr. Toomer entered the City Council in 1877, and remained a member for about two years. He died in March, 1900, aged eighty-two years, leaving a family of three sons and one daughter.
Mr. Aaron Ayers, J.P., was elected to the City Council in 1878, and subsequently represented the South-East Ward in the Council for some years. He filled the mayoral chair for two consecutive terms, and is referred to among the ex-mayors of the city.
Mr. Reuben Brinstead was elected a Member of the Christchurch City Council in 1878. He carried on business as a stationer in Cashel Street for some time, but afterwards went to live in the North Island.
Mr. Berry Cass entered the Christchurch City Council in 1878. He was a wellknown draper, and carried on business in Cashel House, on the site where now stands the D.I.C.
Mr. William Clifford became a Member of the Christchurch City Council in 1878. He was in business in Christchurch for some time as an auctioneer, in the premises now occupied by Messrs Malcolm and Co., in Colombo Street. Formerly he was a sea captain, engaged in the New Zealand coastal trade.
Mr. William Tremayne, who became a Member of the City Council in 1878, was engaged in business in Christchurch as a fruiterer and greengrocer.
Mr. R. C. Bishop, referred to elsewhere as secretary of the Christchurch Gas Company, first entered the City Council in 1879.
Mr. Nelson King Cherrill was returned to the City Council as a member for the North-West Ward in 1879, and was reelected in the following year. He was a photographer by trade, and had a studio in Cashel Street.
Mr. Albert Ouff entered the City Council, first, in 1879, for the South-East Ward, and was re-elected in the following year. In 1894 he was again returned to the Council for the same ward. Mr. Cuff was well known and highly respected in business circles in Christchurch, and was for nearly twenty-five years in partnership with Mr. Graham under the style of Cuff and Graham. This partnership was dissolved in June, 1895. Mr. Cuff is now (1902) in business in Auckland.
Mr. R. W. England entered the City Council in 1879. He is referred to in other articles as a timber merchant and as chairman of the South Waimakariri River Board.
Mr. Charles Partridge Hulbert who is referred to among the ex-mayors of Christchurch, was first elected to the City Council in 1879 to represent the South-East Ward. He was again elected for the same ward in 1881 and 1886.
Mr. William Stewart King, who was in business as a furniture warehouseman in High Street, Christchurch, for some time, entered the City Council in 1879, as a member for the North-east Ward.
Mr. Thomas Stoddart Lambert first entered the City Council as a Member for the North-West Ward, in 1879, and he was reelected in 1881 and 1883 for the same ward. This gentleman, who is an architect by profession, was formerly in business in Christchurch, but he afterwards went to Dunedin, and now carries on his professional work in Wellington.
Mr. Charles Lezard, an ex-Councillor of the City of Christchurch, was born in London in 1838, where he was educated and apprenticed to the watchmakers and jewellers' trade in the Horological School at Geneva, serving for seven years. Mr. Lezard landed at Port Chalmers from the ship “Oliver Cromwell,” in 1862, and at once settled in Canterbury, establishing the business which he has since conducted in High Street. He was a member of No. 9 Company of Volunteers in the Canterbury Battalion from 1863 to 1868, and obtained the rank of lieutenant. He was initiated in the Masonic Order in London, but is unattached in New Zealand. Mr. Lezard is also an old member of the American Order of Oddfellows. He was married in 1865 to a daughter of Mr. Jacob Schwartz, of Bavaria, and has two sons and eight daughters.
Mr. Charles Benjamin Taylor became a Member of the City Council, in which he represented the South-West Ward, in 1879. While in Christchurch he carried on business as a timber merchant, and subsequently went to America, from which he had previously come to New Zealand.
Mr. William Vincent was a Member of the Christchurch City Council for seven or eight years. He was born in 1832, at Roude, Wiltshire, England, and came to Lyttelton in 1861 by the ship “Travancore.” For ten years he worked at various sheep stations, but in 1861 he and Mr. E. Deacon entered into partnership in the establishment of the City Brewery, in Colombo Street south. Christchurch. Mr. Vincent afterwards bought out his partner and then carried on the page 113 business by himself until 1889, when he sold it and bought the Heathstock estate at Horsley Down. There he carried on sheepfarming until 1897, when he sold Heathstock and bought the Wharfdale estate at Bennetts, which he held at the time of his death, which occurred on the 9th of September, 1901. While he resided in Christchurch, Mr. Vincent served not only on the City Council but also on the Drainage Board and the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, of each of which he was for a time chairman. At the time of his death he was a member of the Cashmere Hills Domain Board. Mr. Vincent was married, in 1861, to the second daughter of Mr. John Stace, of Berwick, Christchurch, and was survived by his wife, five sons and four daughters.
Mr. Michael Marshall Wyatt was elected to represent the North-East Ward in the City Council in 1879, but resigned shortly afterwards. Mr. Wyatt carried on business as a grocer in High Street.
Mr. James Bowman was for many years a general furniture dealer in Christchurch, and was the founder of the business of Bowman and Son. He was elected to the City Council in 1881 as a representative of the North-West Ward, and was returned in 1884.
Mr. Edward Hiorns became a Member of the City Council in 1881, as a representative of the South-East Ward. In former years he was a plumber and tinsmith in Armagh Street. Mr. Hiorns now (1902) resides in Sydney.
The Hon. Charles Louisson became a Member of the City Council in 1881. He is elsewhere referred to as an ex-mayor, and as a member of the Legislative Council.
Mr. George Henry Treleaven was elected a Member of the Christchurch City Council in 1881, when he represented the North-West Ward. He is the head of the well-known firm of George Treleaven and Co., produce merchants, referred to elsewhere in this volume.
Mr. William Brice, who was a Member for South-west Ward in the Christchurch City Council for two terms of three years each, was born in Somersetshire in 1839. He was educated in Taunton, where he was brought up as a hairdresser and fancy goods dealer. Mr. Brice arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Zealandia,” and at once established himself in business in Hobbs' Buildings, Colombo Street. In 1870 he removed to the premises he now occupies at the corner of Hereford and Colombo Streets. Mr. Brice is a member of the Commercial Club. He was married in 1866 to a daughter of the late Mr. H. Davis, of Taunton, and has three sons and two daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. Brice.
Mr. Charles Kiver represented the South-East Ward in the City Council in 1882, and was re-elected in the following year. He arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Travancore” on the 21st of March, 1831. Mr. Kiver conducted a large grocery business for many years in Cashel Street, on the site now occupied by Messrs Wardell Bros. and Co. He took an active interest in church matters, and was a member of St. John's vestry.
Mr. W. Prudhoe first became a Member of the City Council in 1882. He is further referred to as an ex-mayor.
Mr. Daniel Reese was elected to the City Council for the South-West Ward in 1882, and sat as a member for several years. He was for some time a member of the House of Representatives, and as such he is referred to elsewhere in this volume.
Mr. William Henry Hosking entered the City Council as a representative of the North-East Ward in 1883. At that time he was in business in Christchurch as a saddler in Colombo Street.
Mr. Samuel Paull Andrews was elected in 1884 to the City Council, and represented the South-East Ward for three years. He became a member of the House of Representatives for Christchurch, and in that capacity he is referred to in another article.
Mr. Hugh Bennetts, who represented the South-East Ward in the Christchurch City Council in 1884, was born in Cornwall, England, in 1828, and arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand, in 1860. During his term of office Mr. Bennetts was a staunch advocate for the thorough drainage of Christchurch.
Mr. William T. Grinstead became a Member of the City Council in 1885 as a representative of the North-East Ward. He was in business in Christchurch as a grocer in Victoria Street.
Mr. Samuel Manning entered the City Council as a representative of the South-East Ward in 1885, and was re-elected in 1888. He became mayor of Christchurch for one term, and is elsewhere referred to in that capacity.
Mr. James Tait, referred to in another article as an old colonist, entered the Christchurch City Council in 1885.
Mr. Duncan Barclay McLaren, who was for three years a Member of the Christchurch City Council, representing North-east Ward, was born in Launceston in 1845 and educated at Mr. Oldfield's Commercial Academy in Hobart. He commenced his business career in the latter city with his father, Mr. J. B. McLaren, and arrived in Christchurch in 1870. He has since been connected with the grain and seed trade. For ten years he was employed by Messrs. W. Wilson and Co., seed merchants in Christchurch, and subsequently entered into business on his own account under the style of D. B. McLaren and Co., in the same line. Ten years later he entered the service of Mr. G. G. Stead, grain and seed merchant, as manager of the agricultural seed department, which he has continued to conduct. As a member of the craft, Mr. McLaren is attached to Canterbury Lodge 1048 E.C., of which he is past master. He was married in Hobart in 1865, to a daughter of the late Mr. Alexander Clarke, of Hobart, engineer, and has seven sons and three daughters.
Mr. William George Judge, who formerly carried on business in Christchurch as a butcher, was elected to the City Council in 1887 as a member for the South-West Ward.
Mr. John Lee Scott, who represented South-East Ward in the City Council for about nine years, was born in Derby, England, in 1848. He was educated partly at the Wesleyan school, and partly at public schools, and was brought up to the engineering trade in his native place. In 1870 he came to Lyttelton by the ship “Ramsay,” and about twelve months later started business with his brother, under the style of Scott Bros., well known throughout Canterbury. Before lie was elected to the Christchurch City Council, Mr. Scott had been a member of the Sydenham Borough Council. For one year he was one of the Commissioners of the New Zealand Railways. As a Freemason he is attached to Lodge St. Augustine, N.Z.C. Mr. Scott was married, in 1870, on the day he left England for the colony, to a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas St. Clair, of London, and has one son and four daughters.
Mr. Walter Henry Cooper, who entered the City Council in 1888, and represented the North-East Ward for several years. is elsewhere referred to among the ex-mayors of Christchurch.
Dr. Samuel Alexander Patrick, who represented the South-West Ward in the Christchurch City Council in 1888, was born in Manchester, England, in 1840. He was educated at the Manchester Grammar School, and studied for some time at Trinity College, Dublin, with a view to the ministry of the Presbyterian Church. He, however, changed his mind in that matter and returned to Manchester, where he studied medicine under Dr. Dumbell. In 1862 he passed his examination before the College of Surgeons (England), and a year later took his L.S.A. diploma. Dr. Patrick then practised his profession in Manchester until 1866, when, owing to failing health, he left for New Zealand, and landed at Lyttelton. He continued his professional work until 1884, when he went page 114 to England as surgeon in the steamship “Doric.” During his visit to Europe he received his diploma as M.D. of Vienna. He, however, returned to New Zealand broken in health, and died in Christchurch in 1894, after a lingering illness.
Dr. S. A. Patrick.
Mr. George Bonnington, who was a Member of the Christchurch City Council for six years for South-east Ward, arrived in New Zealand from Sydney, where he was trained as a chemist. In 1872 he began a large business as manufacturing chemist and druggist in High Street, Christchurch. Mr. Bonnington was one of the earliest members of the Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand, and attended the conference of members from all parts of the Colony held in Wellington on its inauguration, when the rules and laws for the society were formed. Afterwards he became secretary and treasurer of the society, which offices he held until that body had succeeded in promoting the passing of the Pharmacy Act. The Pharmaceutical Society was superseded by the appointment of the Pharmacy Board, of which Mr. Bonnington at once became a member. He held office on that body from its establishment until the headquarters were transferred to Dunedin. Soon after this time he was re-elected a member for Christchurch upon the new board, which has its headquarters in Wellington. Mr. Bonnington on several occasions assisted in the conduct of examinations held under the authority of the Pharmacy Board. Some years ago, when the conferences of the Pharmaceutical bodies of Australasia were held in Melbourne, Mr. Bonnington attended as a delegate from the South Island of New Zealand. He died on the 18th of December, 1901, leaving a widow, seven sons and two daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. G. Bonnington.
Mr. James Rowe was elected to the City Council in 1889, for the North-East Ward, and was a member for three years. He had been previously for three years a member of the Avon Road Board, and was subsequently a member of the New Brighton Borough Council for four years. He is a Cornishman, was born in 1845, educated at Helston, and brought up as a farmer and miller. Mr. Rowe came to Lyttelton in 1874, by the ship “Isles of the South,” and was storekeeping in Madras Street for twenty-three years. Shortly after his arrival in the colony he took up land at Shirley, and in 1878 went into the business of pig-breeding, in which he has been very successful.
Mr. Robert Haswell Wood, who retired from the Christchurch City Council in 1897, after serving seven years as Representative of South-west Ward, was born in 1843 in New South Wales, and was educated partly in England and subsequently at the Geelong Grammar School in Victoria. He was brought up on a farm, followed mercantile pursuits in Australia, crossed the Tasman Sea to New Zealand in 1861, and settled in Christchurch in the following year, where he has been well known in mercantile circles. For thirteen years Mr. Wood was associated with the Hon. Wm. Montgomery in the timber trade. In 1881 he established a business in Christchurch on his own account, but it was afterwards known in der the style of Wood and Laurie. Mr. Wood was for five years a member of the Christchurch Hospital Board, and during one year of that period acted as chairman.
Mr. R. H. Wood.
Mr. David Barns was elected to represent the Richmond Ward in the Christchurch City Council, in 1890. He is a native of Marlborough, England, and was educated at the Marlborough Grammar School. Mr Barns was apprenticed to the bakery trade, which he has followed with considerable success in the colonies.
Mr. David Cochrane, who represented the Richmond Ward in the Christchurch City Council for 1890, is a native of Stirling, Scotland. He was educated at Stirling, and arrived in New Zealand in 1874.
Mr. Thomas Gapes, J.P., became a Member of the City Council in 1890, for the North-East Ward, and was re-elected in 1893. He occupied the mayoral chair for one term, and is elsewhere referred to in that connection.
Mr. Edward Wingfield Humphreys became a Member of the City Council for the North-West Ward in 1890. He was also a member of the House of Representatives, and he is further referred to in that capacity in another section of this volume.
Mr. Edward Smith, who is referred to as Superintendent of the Christchurch Fire Brigade, was elected to the City Council in 1890, and represented the South-East Ward for several years.
Mr. George Swann, who was for some years a Member of the Christchurch City Council, was born in the City of York, England. Arriving in Lyttelton in 1874 from London per ship “Merope,” he was articled to Dr. C. J. Foster, LL.D., and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1882, in which year he commenced the practice of his profession. Before coming out to the Colony, Mr. Swann gained legal experience in the office of Messrs. Richardson, Gutch and Co., solicitors to the NorthEastern Railway Company at York, and afterwards with Messrs. Bradley and Bradley, of Castleford. Mr. Swann is also an ex-member of the Avon Road Board, and has been for many years chairman of the page 115 Richmond Domain Board. As a member of the Masonic Order. Mr. Swann is connected with Lodge Canterbury 1048 E.C., of which he was worshipful master in 1894. He is also a P.Z. of the Prince of Wales Royal Arch Chapter No. 1916, and at present district grand registrar of the English Constitution in Canterbury.
Mr. William Thomson was elected a Member of the City Council in 1890, and represented the South-Eaat Ward. He carries on business in Colombo Street as a baker and confectioner.
Standish and Dreece, photo.
Mr. A. Appleby.
Mr. Thomas Bunting, who was a Member of the Christchurch City Council during 1891–4 as representative of Richmond Ward, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in 1860. He landed in Lyttelton in 1879. Mr. Bunting is referred to in another article as a manufacturer of brushware.
Mr. George Calder, formerly a Member of the Christchurch City Council, hails from Scotland. He served his time as a builder and contractor, and arrived in Canterbury in 1864. Mr. Calder worked at his trade in Christchurch till 1879, when he entered into business on his own account. He was elected a member of the City Council for South-west Ward in 1891–94.
Mr. James Arthur Flesher entered the City Council in 1891 as a representative of the Richmond Ward. He is referred to elsewhere as a barrister and solicitor.
Mr. Howell Young Widdowson was an energetic and able Member of the City Council during his connection with that body. He was elected as a representative of the Richmond Ward in 1891 and was re-elected three years later. Mr. Widdowson is sole partner in the legal firm of Caygill and Widdowson, Cathedral Square.
Mr. John Anderson, formerly a Member of the Christchurch City Council, was born in Edinburgh in 1850 and brought by his parents to Lyttelton in one of the “first four ships,” the “Sir George Seymour.” Mr. Anderson was educated partly in Christchurch, and partly at Merchiston Castle, Edinburgh, and studied at Glasgow University for engineering. After a seven years' course of study in Scotland he returned to New Zealand in 1873 and joined his father, the founder of the Canterbury Foundry; was associated with him for many years, and with his brother took over the business some years before his father's death. Mr. Anderson was a member of the City Council for the North-west Ward, and has been connected with the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association for many years, being one time its president. He has been a director of the New Zealand Shipping Company, a member of the Christchurch Chamber of Commerce for over twenty years, and has been a member of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College. Mr. Anderson was married in 1878 to a daughter of Mr. William Pratt, of Christchurch, and has two sons and three daughters.
Mr. John Connall, J.P., who is an exMember of Christchurch City Council, was born in 1836 in Glasgow, where he was educated until about ten years of age, subsequently attending schools at Buchlyvie and Kippen, in Stirlingshire. In 1852, he returned to Glasgow, and was for five years in the employment of Messrs. Stewart and McDonald in the wholesale trade. In 1857, he sailed from the Thames in the ship “Southern Cross,” Captain Charlton, for Wellington, and shortly after his arrival went to Nelson and was in the employ of Messrs. Nicholson and Ridings until they gave up business. He then went over to the firm of Messrs. N. Edwards and Co., with whom he remained either in Nelson or as manager of branches of their business in New Plymouth, Hokitika, and Blenheim until 1874. Mr. Connal then came to Christchurch, having entered into partnership with Hon. Nathaniel Edwards, George Bennetts, and John Aiken in the business of Edwards, Bennett and Co. In 1881, Mr. Connal retired from the concern, and has since then identified himself more closely with colonial industries. He is a director of the Kaiapoi Woollen Manufacturing Company, Westport Cardiff Coal Company, Mutual Benefit Building Society, and the New Brighton Tramway Company. He claims to have been, whilst in Blenheim, one of the earliest exporters from this Colony of wheat in sacks for London, having made several shipments in the vessels which he loaded at Port Underwood with general produce. He was a borough councillor in Blenheim.
Mr. Harry Joseph Beswick entered the City Council as a representative of the North-West Ward in 1894, and was subsequently Mayor of Christchurch for one year. He is elsewhere referred to as an ex-mayor
Standish and Preece, photo.
Dr. F. MacBean Stewart.
Mr. George Andrews, formerly Member of the Christchurch City Council for Southwest Ward, was born in 1852 in Herefordshire, England, where he was educated. He learned the trade of a pork butcher and bacon-curer in Birmingham, and came to Lyttelton in 1874 per ship “Geraldine Paget.” For a few months he worked at his trade at Ashley Bank, Canterbury, and in 1875 removed to Christchurch, where he was employed for eighteen months, and for four years was engaged by Messrs. Garth and Lee, shipping butchers at Lyttelton, with the management of their small goods department. Returning to Christchurch he was employed in a similar capacity for Messrs Hopkins and Co. for five years, and commenced business on his own account in 1887. Mr. Andrews was first returned for North-West Ward in 1895.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. T. Kincaid.
Mr. Marcus Sandstein, who was a member of the Christchurch City Council for South-east Ward, was born in Cracow, Austria, in 1835, where he was educated and brought up as a diamond setter. He came out to Melbourne in 1857, and five years later arrived in Port Chalmers. Removing to Christchurch during the same year he established himself as a watchmaker and jeweller on the site of the premises afterwards occupied by him in Cashel Street. Mr. Sandstein was elected to the City Council in 1894. In educational matters he had been prominent for many years, having been chairman of the East Christchurch School Committee for twelve years. For thirty years he was connected with the Christchurch Building Society, of which he was chairman for about fifteen years. As a member of the Craft, he was attached to Lodge Canterbury, E.C., and held office as past grand warden, and was president of the board of general purposes in connection with the Grand Lodge. Mr. Sandstein was twice married, and his family consists of six sons and three daughters. His fourth son studied in Edinburgh, where he achieved distinction in gaining several scholarships, twelve medals, and five first-class prizes during the course of his medical studies. Mr. Sandstein died on the 13th of January, 1901.
Mr. William Woods, who represented South-East Ward in the Christchurch City Council, is the second and only surviving son of Mr. G. Woods, hosiery manufacturer of Godalming, Surrey, England, and was born in 1847. He arrived in Lyttelton pership “Northampton” in 1873, and has since been a resident of Christchurch. He commenced business as a grain and produce merchant in Lower High Street in 1885, was elected to the council in 1804 and re-elected three years later. He is a prominent member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, having joined in 1869 and passed through the various chairs of his lodge, and on arriving in New Zealand threw in his lot with the Loyal City of Christchurch Lodge. He passed through the various chairs of this lodge, and in 1891 was elected trustee. In 1892, he was elected deputy grand master of the North Canterbury district, and the following year as grand master, serving with marked distinction; he was also elected first vice-president of the National Association of Christchurch. Mr. Woods was married in 1872 to a daughter of Mr. William Christmas, of Godalming, and has five sons.
Dr. Adam F. J. Mickle, a well-known medical practitioner in Christchurch, entered the City Council as a representative of the North-East Ward in 1896, but resigned in the following year.
Mr. J. Stapleton, who was a Member of the City Council for Richmond Ward, was born at Shirley in 1868, was educated at public schools, and brought up as a tinsmith. He afterwards became a butcher and commenced business in Richmond, where he remained for three years. Mr. Stapleton was owner and breeder of the trotting horses “Heather Dew,” “Guy Irvington.” and others. For three and a half years Mr. Stapleton was president of the Richmond Working Men's Club. He was elected for Richmond Ward in 1896. In 1892 he was married to a daughter of Mr. James Jefford, of Linwood, and has three daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. Hamilton.
Mr. Richard Amor Green was a representative for the South-East Ward in the Christchurch City Council from August. 1899. to April, 1901. Mr. Green, who is a native of Christchurch, was born in 1862, and educated at Melville House and Christ's College. He was a Masonic scholar in 1874, and a Government scholar in 1875 and 1876. After completing his school course he entered the business of his father, Mr. T. H. Green, on whose death he became senior partner in the business now known as that of T. H. Green and Co., ham and bacon curers. Mr. Green is a Past Master in the Canterbury Masonic Lodge, 1048, E.C., and has attained to high rank in the District Grand Lodge, and is secretary of the District Grand Stewards' Lodge. He was married, in 1887, to Miss Crowe, daughter of Mr. William Crowe, of Christchurch.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. R. A. Green.