Dr. Francis Macbean Stewart,
who was for three years a Member of the Christchurch City Council, was born in Dundee, Scotland, and educated at Edinburgh University and the Royal College of Surgeons. He gained his diplomas in 1864, and commenced practice in Inverness, where he
became medical officer of health, Inspector of shipping, surgeon of the Inverness Dispensary, and assistant surgeon to the Inverness-shire Highland Light Infantry Militia, and 2nd Battalion Cameron Highlanders. Before taking his diploma, Dr. Stewart sailed to the Arctic regions in the s.s. “Narwhal.” Arriving in Port Chalmers early in 1874 as surgeon of the ship “City of Dunedin,” he settled in the Colony practising, respectively, at Milton and Ashburton, and established his present practice in Christchurch in 1880. Dr. Stewart has been senior surgeon to the Christchurch Hospital for twelve years, and is a member of the Dental Board for Canterbury. He was one of the originators and one of the first vicepresidents of the Canterbury Caledonian Society.