The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. W. W. Collins. Pages 89–90. Mr. Collins was not returned at the general election of November, 1902.
Mr. Henry Thomson. Pages 95–107. Mr. Thomson died on the 13th September, 1903.
Mr. Charles Lewis. Page 97. Mr. Lewis stood for the Parliamentary representation of Courtenay, at the general election held on the 25th of November, 1902, when he polled 1535 votes, or 351 more than the next highest candidate.
Corporation Of Christchurch . Page 100. Early in 1903 the Corporation of Christchurch became the Corporation of Greater Christchurch, by the inclusion of Sydenham, St. Albans and Linwood. The city, as now constituted, is divided into four wards; namely, Central Ward, Sydenham Ward, St. Albans Ward, and Linwood Ward. At the elections which took place on the 29th of April, 1903, the following members were elected. Central Ward: Councillors H. J. Beswick, W. H. Cooper, C. M. Gray, H. H. Loughnan, G. Payling, and H. B. Sorensen. Sydenham Ward: Councillors H. G. Ell, J. Forrester, J. Hadfield, and G. W. J. Parsons. St. Albans Ward: Councillors W. J. Neate and A. F. Carey. Linwood Ward: Councillors H. J. Otley and H. Pearce. [Mr. Ell having resigned his seat as one of the members for Sydenham Ward, a by-election ensued, and Mr. B. P. Manhire, at one time Mayor of Sydenham, was elected on the 3rd of September, 1903.]
Mr. E. G. Wright. Pages 119–120. Mr. Wright died at his home, Windermere, near Ashburton, on the 12th of August, 1902.
Lyttelton Harbour Board. Pages 118–119. Fresh elections to the Board took place in February, 1903, and the Board, as now constituted, consists of the following members; namely, George Laurenson, M.H.R., appointed by his Excellency the Governor; the Mayor of Lyttelton (W. Radcliffe), member ex-officio for one year; F. H. Barns, elected by the ratepayers of the borough of Lyttelton; F. Graham and G. J. Smith, elected by the ratepayers of the city of Christchurch; F. Waymouth, the ratepayers of St. Albans; J. Brown, the ratepayers of Sydenham; W. Rollitt, united boroughs of Linwood, Woolston and Sumner; Isaac Gibbs and A. Kaye, Canterbury Chamber of Commerce; James Gough and John Wolfe, the Selwyn County Council; D. Buddo, M.H.R., appointed by Government, Ashley County Council having failed to elect; John Lambie, elected by Ashburton County Council; James Hay, elected by Akaroa County Council. Mr. Albert Kaye is chairman of the Board.
Mr. C. J. R. Williams, Assoc. M. Inst., C.E., was appointed engineer to the Lyttelton Harbour Board in December, 1902.
From a Drawing by Sir William Foz.
The “Cressy's” Passengers landing at Lyttelton on the 27th of December, 1850
Captain F. M. B. Fisher. Page 140. After his article was printed, Mr. Fisher resigned his position in the Civil Service, to become a member of the firm of Lake and Evans, Christchurch.
Colonel Jowsey. Pages 142–981. Colonel Jowsey became manager of the Canterbury Club, Christchurch, in August, 1903.
Mr. Robert Kirton. Page 146. Early in 1903 Mr. Kirton retired from the Civil Service, and the position of Chief Postmaster at Christchurch. He was succeeded by Mr. J. F. McBeth, formerly of Wanganui. Mr. McBeth's biography appears on page 1379 of the Wellington volume of this work, and his portrait at page 1380.
Mr. Thomas Humphries. Page 147. The article at page 147 had been printed off before Mr. Humpries returned its proof. Mr. Humphries joined the Government Survey Department in Taranaki, in 1857; became Chief Commissioner of Crown Lands there on the retirement of Mr. C. D. Whitcombe; served as a volunteer in the Taranaki Rifles during the Maori war of 1860–61, and was engaged, whilst a volunteer, in making surveys and plans of the field of operations.
Professor John Macmillan Brown. Pages 164–165. Mrs Macmillan Brown, the first woman to take the Master of Arts degree in the British dominions, died at Rotorua on the 22nd of February, 1903.
The Very Rev. Walter Harper, Dean Of Christchurch. Page 187. Early in 1903 the Rev. Charles Walter Carrington was appointed to succeed Dean Harper as Principal of College House, connected with Christ's College.
The Venerable Archdeacon Lingard. Page 191. In August, 1903, Archdeacon Lingard gave notice of his resignation as Vicar of St. Luke's, Christchurch, on account of failing health, and with the intention of spending the remainder of his life in Kent, England; but died on the 20th of September.
The Rev. Edward Arthur Scott. Page 193. After the demise of Archdeacons G. J. Cholmondeley and B. W. Dudley, the archdeaconries of Christchurch and Rangiora were united under the name of Christchurch, with Mr. Scott as Archdeacon.
The Rev. Henry Williams. Page 194. Mr. Williams was appointed, about the middle of 1903, to the cure of Prebbleton and Templeton in succession to the Rev. J. Blackburne, resigned, and was succeeded at page 1109 St. Matthew's, St. Albans, by the Rev. J. H. Rodgers, formerly of Malvern.
The Rev. Dr. Elmslie . Page 198. Owing to failing health, Dr. Elmslie resigned the pastorate of St. Paul's church in June, 1903. The Rev. T. Tait, of Brunswick, near Melbourne Australia, accepted a call to become Dr. Elmslie's suceessor.
Mr. Arthur Lyon. Page 221. After his article had been printed, Mr. Lyon resigned signed his office as Master of the Hounds to the Christchurch Hunt Club; and Mr. H. R. Parkinson, who had bought Mr. Lyon's resieence, was appointed to succeed Mr. Lyon as Master.
Mr. Richmond Beetham. Page 243. Mr. Beetham retired from the position of Stipendiary Magistrate in Christchurch, in May, 1903, and was succeeded by Mr. W. R. Haselden, who is referred to at pages 331–475 and 564 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia.
Mr. T. S. Weston. Pages 247–248. Mr. Weston resigned his position as chairman of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College in November, 1902, and was succeeded by Mr. A. E. G. Rhodes.
The Canterbury Chamber Of Commerce. Page 271. The office-bearers for 1903–1904 are: President, Mr. W. D. Meares; vice-president, Mr. H. Quane; committee, Messrs E. C. Ashby, G. Anderson, E. C. Brown, W. Ballantyne, J. A. Frostick, I. Gibbs, A. Kaye, G. Lambie, R. E. McDougall, J. G. Moore, A. L. Parsons, H. G. Simms, F. Waymouth, H. Wood, and W. Wood.
Stead, George G., and Co. (George Gatonby Stead and George Joseph Fisher Palmer). Pages 344–345. Mr. Stead has retired from the firm, and the business is now (1903) carried on by Mr. Palmer.
Mr. John Studholme. Page 371. Mr. Studholme died in London on the 7th of March, 1903.
Sydenham Borough Council (page 380), Linwood Borough Council (page (385) and St. Albans Borough Coungil (page 389). The boroughs over which these councils had jurisdiction became wards of Greater Christchurck in the early part of the year 1903.
Mr, William Hood Gaw, formerly District Traffic Manager of the Christchurch Section of New Zealand Railways, was born in Ayrshire. Scotland, in 1846, and educated at the Glasgow High School, and brought up to mercantile life. He came to Port Chalmers in 1871 per ship “Willd Deer.” After engaging in farming pursuits for a time he joined the railway service in 1874 as clerk in the goods department in Dunedin under Mr. Conyers. Four years later Mr. Gaw was transferred to Christchurch as goods agent, where he continued till 1883, when he was appointed traffic manager at Invercargill, whence he was transterred to Dunedin in a similar position. He was appointed District Traffic Manager at Christ-church in 1890, and is now (1903) Traffic Superintendent at Dunedin.
The Christchurch Tramway Board was constituted by a special Act of Parliament in 1902. At present the district under its control comprises the city of Christ-church, the boroughs of Woolston, New Brighton, and Sumner, the road district of Spreydon, and portions of the road districts of Avon, Heathcote, Riccarton, and Halswell. Portions of other districts may be included by the Governor, if a majority of the ratepayers express a desire for inclusion. The Board consists of eight members, and there is a freehold, a rating, and a residential qualification for electors, but no distinction is made in respect to sex. The Board is empowered to levy rates, and also to borrow £250,000 in the first instance, and an additional £100,000, if it thinks fit. The consent of the ratepayers to raise the first-named sum has already been obtained. Mr. F. H. Chamberlain, the Board's engineer, has prepared a scheme for electrically working all the present tram lines, except the city and suburban, between Christchurch and New Brighton, and for extending them through the city and suburbs in various directions. For the present, the city and suburban line will be served with horses or steam. This scheme has been adopted by the Board, and arrangements are now (September, 1903) being made for carrying it out. The lines will be on the world's standard gauge, namely, 4 feet 8 1/2 inches, and the single-trolly system has been decided upon. A proposal has been made by residents of Riccarton and Sockburn to have an electric tram run into those districts. The first Board, consisting of the following members, was elected on the 22nd of January, 1903: Mr. W. Reece (chairman), the Hon. H. F. Wigram, and Messrs A. B. Morgan, H. Pearce, G. Scott, A. W. Beaven, G. G. Stead, and F. Waymouth. Mr. F. Thompson is secretary.