The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Patutahi is ten miles from Gisborne, on the road which leads through Makaraka and Matawhero. It is about twenty years since the settlement was begun, and it has a Roman Catholic Church, a public school, and a public hall; and a flour mill and a saw mill are at work not far from the settlement. There are two good stores in Patutahi, a large bakehouse, and also a hotel. A coach runs between the settlement and Gisborne three times a week, and returns the same day. Patutahi is in the Patutahi road district, and is in Cook county. A quarry of very good stone has been opened up on the Patutahi Valley road, and is likely to prove of great value to the Cook county council, which owns and works it. A considerable settlement surrounds the township, and the chief industry is sheepfarming.
The Patutahi Road Board was established in 1882. The district is bounded by the Waikohu, Te Arai, and Hangaroa road districts. It has twenty-one miles of formed roads, which are to a considerable extent metalled. The ratable value of the district is £237,563. No general rate is levied, but a subsidy of about £200 a year is granted by the county, and a special rate of [unclear: ⅜]d in the £ is collected to provide repayments on a loan of £806. The total receipts for the year 1900 were £552, and the total liabilities included a loan of £914. There are about 100 dwellings in the district, and 266 ratable properties, owned by 112 ratepayers. Members for 1900: Mr. J. Clark, chairman, Messrs J. McKenzie, W. J. Mossman, J. W. Dobbie, and J. Ferguson; with Mr.T. W. Bilham as secretary and treasurer.
The Patutahi Domain Board was established in 1896. Members for 1909: Messrs J. C. Woodward, chairman, T. Thomson, T. Eade, W. Manson; with Mr. E. J. Harrison as secretary. The reserve consists of nine acres in the township. It is all fenced and planted with ornamental trees. A large hall was built on a portion of the property in 1885, and was enlarged about three years subsequently; it will hold 400 people, and is under the control of the board.
The Patutahi Public School, which dates back to 1880, stands on a section of five acres and a half in extent. It contains two class rooms and a large vestibule, with accommodation for 140 scholars. There are 130 children on the roll, and the average attendance is 116. The teacher in charge is assisted by a certificated mistress, and two pupil teachers. A large playground surrounds the school, and there are well tended flower borders. There are also two shelter sheds for the children to play in rough weather. The teacher's residence stands on a section of three-quarters of an acre on the opposite side of the road, and contains seven rooms.
Mr. John Charles Woodward, Headmaster, was born in 1864 in Cambridgeshire, England. He arrived in Lyttelton with his parents in 1875. His education, begun at a private school in North London, was continued in the Ellesmere district in Canterbury; he then became a pupil teacher in the Leeston school, and then studied for a year at the Christchurch Training College. In 1885 Mr. page 955 Woodward entered the service of the Hawke's Bay Education Board at Gisborne, and held the position of second assistant until he was appointed to Patutahi in November, 1889. As a Freemason Mr. Woodward is a Past Master of Lodge Abercorn, N.Z.C. He is chairman of the Patutahi Domain Board, and a member of the Church of England local committee. Mr. Woodward is also prominently connected with the Gisborne Operatic Society, the services of which are frequently available for local purposes. He was married, in 1889, to a daughter of Mr. M. Hall, of Matawhero, and has three daughters and two sons.
The Roman Catholic Church at Patutahi was erected in 1900, and was opened on the 11th of November of that year. It is built of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 100 worshippers. It belongs to the Gisborne parish.
Patutahi Hotel (Robert Craill, proprietor), Patutahi. This hotel was established in 1884, and is the only one in the township. It has been conducted by the present proprietor since 1890. The building is of wood and iron, and is two stories in height.
Thomson, John, Blacksmith, Patutahi. Mr. Thomson was born at Peterhead, Scotland, in 1872, and accompanied his father, Captain Thomson, of Gisborne, to New Zealand in 1876. He was educated in Gisborne, where he served an apprenticeship to the business of a blacksmith and farrier. Mr. Thomson, who is a member of the Patutahi Domain Board, entered into business on his own account at Patutahi, in 1894, and is well known throughout the district.
Mr. J. Thomson.
Steven, Mrs Mary Ann (E. J. Harrison, manager), General Storekeeper, Baker, and Coach Proprietress, Patutahi. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. This business was established in 1882 by the late Mr. L. Steven, who died in July, 1895. The premises are freehold, and consist of a store, ten-roomed dwelling, bakehouse, stables, and three cottages in the township, there being eight acres page 956 of land in all. A very large bread trade is done, and three carts are employed in distributing for a distance of thirty miles round.
See page 955.Lavanham Bridge, Patutahi. Lent by Mr. J. Thomson.
Mr. Edward James Harrison, Manager of Mrs Steven's business since the 1st of October, 1895, was born at Sherley, near Southampton, England, in 1856. He was educated in his native place, brought up as a teacher, and was employed as such for five years in England. He came out to the colonies in 1881, and was for twelve years in Australia, where he was employed as bookkeeper and storekeeper at Mount Battery Station, the property of the Australian Mortgage and Agency Company. In 1893 Mr. Harrison settled in Poverty Bay, and has resided since then chiefly at Patutahi. He was married, in 1878, to a daughter of Mr. J. Martin, of Southampton, and has two sons and one daughter.
Faulkner, James, Sawmiller and Sheepfarmer, Belmont Farm, Patutahi Valley. This property is 200 acres in extent, and carries about 700 sheep. There is also a sawmill, which was established in 1899 by the proprietor, and the machinery of which is driven by an eight-horse-power portable engine. With this mill Mr. Faulkner works about fifty acres of kahikatea bush on his property, and there is a good demand for the timber. Mr. Faulkner was born in Peterborough, Northumberland, England, in 1852. He is a blacksmith by trade, and came to Auckland by the ship “Waitangi,” in 1874. For about fifteen years he was engaged in farming and fruit growing at the North Shore, and settled in Poverty Bay in 1889. Mr. Faulkner took up a leasehold section at Hangaroa, and seven years later, having considerably improved it, sold his interest satisfactorily, and settled in the Valley. He has been chairman of the Patutahi school committee for three years, and was for three years, during his residence at the North Shore, a member of the Northcote Road Board. He was married, in 1872, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Steel, of Peterborough, and has five sons and two daughters.
Atkins, Robert, Sheep and Dairy Farmer, “Willow Grove,” Patutahi. Mr. Atkins was born at Howick, near Auckland, in 1848, and was brought up to country life in his native place. In 1862 he joined the Waikato Militia, and, after serving three years, was transferred to the Commissariat Transport Corps. He was in Turanganui in 1866, and at the time of the Poverty Bay massacre was at Waerenga-a-hika, from which he fled for safety. Mr. Atkins settled in Patutahi in 1880, and has served on the local school committee. He was married, in 1868, to a daughter of Mr. W. Sharp, one of the old settlers, who arrived in 1842, in the “Duchess of Argyle,” and settled in Pukekohe, and has seven sons and three daughters.
Mr. and Mrs R. Atkins.
Ferguson, John, Sheepfarmer, “Glencoe,” Patutahi. Mr. Ferguson was born in Glencoe, Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1838. He was educated at local schools, and brought up to quarry work. Mr. Ferguson arrived in Wellington in December, 1862, by the ship page 957 “Constant.” He was employed for six years in Hawke's Bay on Mr. Gollan's station, and then settled at “Opn.” a Maori run, in partnership with Mr. Henry Herries, under the style of Herries and Ferguson. At the time of the Poverty Bay Massacre, Mr. Ferguson was obliged to flee to Mahia on the coast, and thence to the Kaiti Redoubt. With Mr. Herries drove the first sheep overland from Hawke's Bay in March, 1868. Mr Ferguson sold his interest in the firm in 1879 and bought his property of “Glencoe” at Patutahi, where he has 700 acres, and has resided since 1880. The land, taken up while in its wild primitive state, has been so highly improved that it carries 1600 sheep and 160 head of Hereford cattle. Mr. Ferguson is a member of the Poverty Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and has been a member of the Patutahi Road Board since 1883. He was married, in March, 1874, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Ramsay, of Dublin, and has four daughters and three sons.
Hills, Joseph Edward, Farmer and Traction Engine Proprietor, Patutahi Valley. Mr. Hills was born at Maidstone, Kent, England, in 1848, and was educated at the Bluecoat School. He became an engine driver on the South Eastern Railway, where he was employed for nine years. In 1874 he came to Auckland by the ship “Waitangi,” and afterwards settled in Poverty Bay. Mr. Hills was the first settler in Patutahi Valley, then all in its natural state. He served for about fourteen years as a member of the Patutahi Road Board, and was also for a time on the school committee. Besides working his farm of forty-five acres and a half, he finds plenty of employment for himself and tree sons in connection with his portable engines and threshing and flour-making plant. He was married, in 1877, to a daughter of the late Mr. O. Gallagher, of County Donegal, Ireland, and has three sons and five daughters.
Kirkpatirick, David, Sheepfarmer, Linns, Patutahi, near Gisborne. Mr. Kirkpatrick was born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, in 1862, and is the third son of Mr. D. Kirkpatrick, one of the largest sheep and agricultural farmers in the south of Scotland. He was educated at Dumfries College and afterwards worked upon his father's farm until 1883, when he left Scotland, per s.s. “British King,” for Port Chalmers, New Zealand. Mr. Kirkpatrick reached Gisborne the same year, and began as head shepherd with Mr. John Clark, with whom he remained for about eighteen months. He then became manager of the Ponparae Station, belonging to Messrs Smith Bros., who afterwards sold the estate to Mr. Donner. Mr. Kirkpatrick then shipped sheep to Auckland for the some months, and eventually purchased his present freehold of 152 acres of grazing land, which is utilised for rearing pure bred Lincolns. In this business Mr. Kirkpatrick has been most successful, and has invariably taken prizes at the Poverty Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Association's annual shows.
Ngatapa Station (Messrs Williamson Bros. and Rose, proprietors; Mr. Murray Hingston, manager), Patutahi Valley. This fine property consists of 37,000 acres of freehold situated in the Waikohu riding of the Cook County. About 30,000 sheep and 3000 head of cattle, mostly Herefords, are depastured on the estate.
Mr. Sydney Williamson is the youngest son of the late Hon. James Williamson, and one of the proprietors of the Ngatapa run. He was born in London in 1866, and educated partly near Oxford, but chiefly at the Auckland College and Grammar School, and at Christ's College, Christechurch, as he came out to New Zealand at the end of 1978. For four years he was in the office of Messrs Whitaker and Russell, in Auckland, and after a few months' experience on a station in Australia, he acquired an interest in the Ngatapa run. Since then he has resided on the estate, except for about a year, during which he was absent on a visit to England. He takes a general interest in sport, and is a member of the Proverty Bay Jockey Club.
Mr. Murray Hingston, Manager of the Ngatapa Run, was born in the Norta of Ireland, where he was educated. He became a station manager in New Zealand in 1879, when he was placed in charge of Pourererea Station. Two years later he took charge of Pourererea Station. Two years later he took charge of Mohaka Station in Hawke's Bay, and in 1844 was transferred to “Oakburne,” also in Hawke's Bay. He has been in charge of “Ngatapa” since 1889. As a Freemeson, Mr. Hingston is attached to Lodge Heretaunga, Hawke's Bay. N.Z.C. He was married, in 1881, to a daughter of the late Mr. T. G. Burgess, of Hawke's Bay and has one son and two daughters.
Smith, William Wilkinson, sheep-farmer, Waitaria, Patutahi, Gasborne. Mr Smith was born in Dulbin, Ireland, in 1839, and was the eldest son of the late Mr. W. W. Smith, of Liffey Bank, Islandbridge, Dublin. He was educated in Dublin, and in 1861 let his native land in the ship “Commodore Perry,” (Captain Williams) for Auckland, via Melbourne and Sydney, and arrived at his destination early in 1862. He at once went on to Hawke's, Bay, where he was engaged for some time in looking after cattle at Napier. In 1863 Mr. Smith decided to try his fortunes on the newly opened up Otago goldfields, but after a very brief stay returned to Napier, and accepted a position as shepherd on Mr. H. S. Tiffen's run. Mr. Smith arrived at the Turanganui settlement, now known as Gisborne, at the end of 1864. In the following year hostilities with the Hauhaus commenced, and Mr. Smith joined the Voluntear force, and was engaged at Waerenga-a-hike pah, under Captain Wilson, who was badly wounded. A great number of Maoris were taken prisoners, and eventually deported to the Chatham Islands. When the notorious rebel, Te Kooti, who had escaped from imprisonment, landed at Wharehungahunga, between Young Nick's Head and Whangawai (Happy Jacks), Mr. Smith joined the Mounted Volunteers, who were sent to capture him. The volunteers were, however, repulsed, until reinforced by Colonel Whitmore, who eventually took up his stand at Tiniroto. At this place the Colonel gave permission to the volunteers to return home, and Mr. Smith lived quietly on a small farm until the massacre of Major Biggs, Captain Wilson, Sergeant Walsh and others took place on the 10th of November, 1868. He then abondoned his property, and became Corporal of No. 1 Company of the Militia; he remained with the force until 1870, and on returning he received the New Zealand war medal. In 1872 he received his commission as sub-lieutenant of the New Zealand Militia. Mr. Smith first leased and afterwards purchased his present small property of rich pastoral land, then in its rough state, but now carrying five sheep to the acre. The land also carries a number of horses and cattle, and the property is considered to be one of the best in Poverty Bay. In 1871, Mr. Smith, who is one of the oldest residents of the Patutahi flats, married a daughter of Mr. William Griffin, of Auckland.