The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Muriwai is fourteen miles from Gisborne, on the road from Makaraka towards Nuhaka, Wairoa and Napier. There is daily coach communication with Gisborne, and daily mails are received and despatched in the settlement. The well-known sheep station of “Maraetaha” is a few miles beyond Muriwai.
Maraetaha Station, at Young Nick's Head, consists of 9300 acres of land, on which about 20,000 sheep are depastured. In October, 1900, 2200 acres, which originally belonged to the estate at Nick's Head and the coast hills, were sold.
Mr. James Woodbine Johnson, sometime Station Owner, Poverty Bay, was born at Lavenham, Suffolk, in 1844. He was educated at King Edward's School, Bury St. Edmunds, at Rugby, and at Trinity College, Cambridge, and took the degree of B.A. in 1865. He then left England for the Colonies, and landed in Queensland. In July, 1867, he came to New Zealand and settled in Poverty Bay, where he bought a station in partnership with his brother, the Hon. George Randall Johnson. Mr. J. W. Johnson was a member of the Hawke's Bay Provincial Council till 1874. He always took an interest in sporting matters, and was president of the Poverty Bay Turf Club. He was a Justice of the Peace, an ex-member and chairman of the County Council, and was on the local Road Board, and other administrative and governing bodies. He was a captain of militia, and also a Governor of the Gisborne High School Trust. Mr. Johnson died in October, 1899.
The late Mr. J. W. Johnson.
Mr. Cyril White, Manager of the Maraetaha Station, was born in 1860 at Chevington. Suffolk, England, and was educated at Uppingham, Rutlandshire. He came to New Zealand in 1880, and settled in Poverty Bay, where he served as a cadet with the late Mr. Woodbine Johnson. In 1883 Mr. White became overseer of Puhatikotiko station, near Te Karaka. Two years later, when that property was sold, Mr. White became overseer at “Maraetaha,” and was subsequently promoted to the position of manager. Mr. White is a member of the Poverty Bay and Gisborne Clubs. He was married, in 1885, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Miles, of Wanganui, who served throughout the local Maori war, and has three sons.