The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Hick's Bay is the name generally applied to a pastoral coastal district in the Waiapu county. It is situated 118 miles north-west from Gisborne, and has communication by steamer with Port Awanui, thirty miles off. There is a Maori settlement at Hick's Bay, and also a harbour, which gives the flockowners of the district all the accommodation which they need in connection with the bringing in of stores and the sending out of produce.
Henderson, Everard Hannam, Sheepfarmer, Matakaoa, Hick's Bay. Mr. Henderson, was born at Worth, Kent England, in 1852, and is the fifth son of Mr. John Henderson, of Upton House, Worth, Kent, who has three other sons who are post captains in the Royal Navy. Mr. E. H. Henderson was educated principally in France and at King's School, Canterbury, and in 1875 he arrived at Melbourne, per ship “Carpathian,” en route for New Zealand. On his arrival in this Colony, he became a cadet on sir George Whitmore's and Colonel Herrick's stations. In 1880, he purchased a run in Whakatane in conjunction with Messrs Swindley and Co. Some time afterwards he took up his present run of 3000 acres of leasehold land at Hick's Bay. The property carries from 1500 to 2000 crossbred Lincolns and eighty head of cattle and horses. The wool clip is shipped to Auckland from Hick's Bay, as that harbour affords excellent shipping accommodation. Mr. Henderson was the first chairman of the Waiapu County Council.