The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Waihi is about 300 feet above the level of the sea, and is situated on the Waihi Plains, in the county of Ohinemuri. The settlement of the district commenced in 1878, when Mr. George Compston and his wife crossed the Waitekauri river, and took up land in the Huaia block, where they have since resided. Mr. Compston was the first settler in the district, and as far as can be gathered was followed successively by the brothers Walmsley, Messrs W. Hollis, and H. C. Savage. In 1880 Waihi town consisted of Messrs J. Phillips and Son's store, and the Waihi Hotel, then a mere shanty, erected by Mr. T. Corbett. In the early eighties the town began to come into prominence, owing to the discovery of gold, and the now celebrated Waihi Company was formed in 1887. In May, 1900, miners' huts and cottages were spread over an area of about three miles each way. The poppet heads of the mines are conspicuous in every direction, and the batteries of the Waihi and Union Waihi Companies are features in the scene. Streets in the township are intercepted at many points by the tramlines communicating between various mines and batteries; and the Waihi Company's tramline extends from its mine to its large Victoria battery at Waikino. The main street of the township is contiguous to the celebrated Martha Hill, the first portion of the Waihi mine to be worked, and out of the top of this hill a huge slice has been taken out and put through the mills. Conical hills and cones surround the settlement, and there are mountain ranges in the distance. Waihi is on the main coach line, connected with Katikati and Tauranga. In reality the township is a gold mining camp, but it appears likely that it will continue to increase. The Ohinemuri County Council has done much in the way of cutting, forming, and metalling roads, and in making footpaths. Local residents wish the township to be declared a borough, and, no doubt, this will be done sooner or later.
The Waihi Improvement Committee, which was appointed in 1897 at a meeting of the residents, has been successful in effecting considerable improvements in the condition of the township. At the instance of the Committee, the County Council has completed the street water supply, established the local fire brigade, and generally improved the roads, foot-paths, etc. The ultimate object of the Committee is the establishment of a local borough council.
The Waihi Volunteer Fire Brigade, which is registered under the Unclassified Societies Act, was established on the 28th of February, 1899. There are sixteen effective members in the Brigade, and Mr. C. E. Brown is captain, Mr. T. Wells foreman, and Mr. T. McCarthy secretary. The station is in Main Street, opposite the Stirling Hotel, and the plant consists of a reel with 850 feet of two-inch-and-a-half canvass hose, two hydrants, four branches, and a union. The site measures 20 by 16 feet, and was presented to the Brigade by Mr. J. L. Stevens.
Mr. Charles Brown, Captain of the Waihi Volunteer Fire Brigade, was born at Papakura in 1866, and educated at the Thames High School. He was brought up as an engineer and amalgamist at the Thames battery, and has been connected with battery work since 1891. He was amalgamator at the Jubilee battery, Waihi, for a year, and afterwards battery manager at the Silverton mine, and held that position when the battery was acquired by the Union Waihi Company. Mr. Brown was married, in 1892, to the daughter of the late Mr. Scott, of Hamilton, and has one son and two daughters.
Mr. Thomas Wells, Foreman of the Waihi Volunteer Fire Brigade, was born in 1876, in Dunedin, and educated at Devonport, Auckland. He learned his trade as a boat-builder with Mr. R. Logan, senior, of Auckland. After being six months in Fiji, he removed in 1896 to Waitekauri, where he worked as a carpenter for a year. He then returned to Waihi, where he was engaged in building, mostly on his own account, and has erected a large number of cottages and dwellings in the district. Mr. Wells joined the first Devonport Fire Brigade, and served eighteen months as fireman. He has been connected with the Waihi brigade since its inception, and was appointed foreman at the outset. Mr. Wells was one of the first members of the Devonport Torpedo Corps, in which he served four years, and gained two certificates for submarine mining and signalling. He was the promoter of the Waihi branch of the New Zealand Natives' Association, and as a Forester he is attached to Court Waihi.
Mr. Thomas McCarthy, Secretary of the Waihi Fire Brigade, was born at Valparaiso, South America, in 1870, and was educated partly in his native place, and partly at Castlemaine, Victoria. Mr. McCarthy became a pupil-teacher in Victoria, but after an experience of eighteen months he commenced, at the age of nineteen, to learn tailoring in Melbourne. He was afterwards in business on his own account for four years in New South Wales, and for two years in Tasmania. He came to New Zealand in 1897, and settled at Waihi, where he entered into business under the style of McCarthy and Sutton. His partner. Mr. Alfred Sutton, conducts a branch of the business at Waitekauri. Mr. page 918 McCarthy is G.M. in the Order of Oddfellows.
General Government Departments.
The Waihi Post Office. A large business is transacted at this office, two mails being received and despatched daily to Paeroa, Auckland, and Thames, etc., and three mails weekly to and from Tauranga. The postmaster has a staff of three assistants, two letter carriers and two messengers.
Mr. Albert Benner, Postmaster at Waihi, Officer for the Issue of Miners' Rights, and Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, was born at Kilmore, in the south of Ireland, in 1854. He came to Port Chalmers in 1874 with the idea of farming; but after an experience of three or four months he joined the post office at Wellington, and was placed in charge of the Bowentown Post Office at Katikati Heads. Mr. Benner had, before leaving Ireland, been in the telegraph department for three years at Dublin, Limerick, and other towns. After three years at Bowentown Mr. Benner was transferred to Auckland, where he was stationed for twelve months before being appointed relieving officer for the northern portion of the colony. This position he held for six years, when, his health breaking down, he applied for the postmastership at Maketu, Bay of Plenty, where he remained till 1897, when he was transferred to Waihi.
Mr. Robert Thomas Henderson, Senior Cadet in the Waihi Post Office, was born in 1876 at Mercury Bay, where he joined the Post Office in June, 1890, as a messenger. He continued in that position till 1896, when he passed the Civil Service examination, and gained a cadetship, and was transferred to Auckland. About a month later, Mr. Henderson was removed to Waihi, to the position which he still (1900) holds. He is a Druid, and is connected with the Pride of Waihi Lodge No. 20. As a volunteer he has been connected with the No. 3 Ohinemuri Rifles since the formation of that company, in December, 1897.
Mr. Denis O'Leary, Cadet at the Waihi Post Office, was born in 1879 at Ngaruawahia, Waikato, where he joined the Civil Service as a telegraph messenger in 1895. Two years later he was transferred to Waihi.
Mr. D. O'Leary.
The Waihi District School is a fine building, which is erected on five acres of land situated near the main road and in the centre of the town. A large playground, with shelter sheds, is attached to the school, which has four class-rooms with accommodation for 500 children, and there is an average attendance of about 400 pupils. The headmaster, who is supported by six certificated assistants and two pupil-teachers, resides in a six-roomed house adjacent to the school.
Mr. Alfred Benge, Headmaster of the Waihi District School, was born in 1856, at Wadhurst, Sussex, England, where his father was engaged in farming. On his parents removing to Kent, he went to the National school at Notting Hill in the west end of London, where he passed through a course of training and was afterwards appointed a master in the Metropolitan City Police Orphanage, Twiekenham. He holds a first class drawing certificate from the Science and Arts Department at South Kensington, and has received special mention in practical chemistry from Professor Brown, of Auckland University College. In 1879, Mr. Benge came to Auckland and obtained a position under the Auckland Board of Education. He was headmaster of Devonport school, North Shore, for eleven years, and was transferred to Waihi at his own request in October, 1896. Mr. Benge has been engaged in the profession of a schoolmaster for twenty-eight years without a break. As a Freemason he was worshipful master of the Albion Lodge No. 45 N.Z.C., North Shore. He has also gained distinction as a cricketer and takes a great interest in that pastime at Waihi. He is a member of the committee of the Waihi School of Mines. Mr. Benge married Miss Good, of Ponsonby, formerly first assistant at Ponsonby school and a prominent member of the choir of All Saint's Church, and has seven children.
Mr. A. Benge.
Mr. William Lloyd, Assistant Master at the Waihi Public School, was born at Treorky, near Cardiff, Wales, in 1873. When but two years of age he arrived in Otago with his parents, and was educated at the Blue Spur Public School, Lawrence, and at Denniston, on the West Coast. He served a pupil-teachership of over four years, and after teaching at various schools he was appointed to his present position in September, 1898.
The Church Of England at Waihi occupies a prominent position in the main street. The original building was put up in 1894, and was enlarged in 1897. The church has a site of about an acre in extent, and can seat about 200 worshippers. The Sunday School is attended by about fifty children, and is held in the church. Until recently Waihi was included in the district under the charge of the Rev. W. H. Wilson at Paeroa.
Mr. William Henry Harvey, Organist of St. John's Church, Waihi, was born at St. Just, Cornwall, England, in 1872, and was educated in his native place. He is a shoemaker by trade, and came by the s.s. “Aotea” to Wellington. Since settling in Waihi he has worked as a miner in the Union Waihi mine. As a child he showed a taste for music, and took lessons from Mr. Simons, of St. Just, and afterwards page 919 from Mr. Seller, organist of St. Just parish church, of the choir of which he was a member. Mr. Harvey became organist of the Christian Bible Church in St. Just, and afterwards was for two years in the orchestra in St. Just Parish Church as a violinist. He was also a member of the St. Just string and reed band. Mr. Harvey has occupied the position of organist in St. John's Church, Waihi, since he settled in the district in January, 1899.
The Waihi Presbyterian Church is situated in Morsby Avenue, Waihi, and was erected about 1896. It is a wooden building with seating accommodation for 150 persons. The Sunday School, which is held in the same building, has eighty scholars. The minister in charge of the district holds service also at Katikati, Golden Cross, Waitekauri, Owharoa, Waikino, and Whangamata.
The Rev. John James Bates, Minister in charge of the Waihi district, was born on Banks' Peninsula in 1868, and educated in Christchurch at the Boys' High School and Canterbury College. He attended as a student at the Theological Hall, Dunedin, and commenced to preach in 1890. Mr. Bates was stationed at Amberley for two years, at Patea two years, Hunterville six months, Mayfield one year, Cheviot one year, and at Waikari for eighteen months, and has resided at Waihi since November, 1898. He was married on the 30th of July, 1894, to a daughter of the late Mr. Joseph Bates, of Banks' Peninsula, and has two sons and one daughter.
The Roman Catholic Church, Waihi, occupies a position fronting the main street, not far from the Waihi Hotel. It is a wooden building, was erected in 1896, and has seating accommodation for 150 worshippers. Services are held every alternate Sunday by the Very Rev. Dean Hackett, of Paeroa.
The Waihi Wesleyan Church is a commodious wooden building in Hazard Street. It was erected in 1898, and has accommodation for 250 worshippers. The Sunday School attached to the church has about 140 children on its roll. Two services are held every Sunday. The Waihi district forms a part of the Upper Thames circuit.
The Rev. David Weatherall, Resident Minister in charge at Waihi, was born in 1876 at Blue Spur, near Lawrence, Otago, and was educated at the local school and at Prince Albert College, Auckland. He commenced his ministerial career as assistant to the Rev. Mr. Rothwell in 1893, and in the following year was appointed home missionary at Hokianga. In April, 1895, he was transferred to Whangaroa, and was accepted as a candidate for the ministry at the Conference the following year. For two years and a half subsequently, Mr. Weatherall studied at Prince Albert College, Auckland, and in August, 1898, was called out to take charge of Waipawa, Hawke's Bay, where he continued till taking up his duties at Waihi, in 1900.
Rev. D. Weatherall.
The Waihi Primitive Methodist Church is situated in Tauranga Road, opposite the Post Office, Waihi. The building, which is of wood, and will accommodate 200 worshippers, was built in 1898. The Sunday School is attended by fifty children. A Primitive Methodist congregation was first formed in Waihi in 1895. Services are held at Waitekauri, Katikati, and Golden Cross.
The Rev. Jacob Featherston, Minister in charge of the Waihi Primitive Methodist Church, was born in the County of Durham, England, in 1864, and was educated at board schools. He commenced as a local preacher in 1890, and came out to New Zealand in the following year. Mr. Featherston was a home missionary in connection with the Wesleyan Church at Tapanui, Otago, for three years, and at Nightcaps, Southland, for one year. He was subsequently stationed at Dannevirke, Hawke's Bay, for six months, and was settled at Masterton for four months. In 1900 he joined the Primitive Methodist Church as a probationer, and was appointed to his present position. Mr Featherston was married, in 1898, to a daughter of Mr. F. Abelstide, of Dunedin, and has one son.
The Salvation Army Barracks occupy a prominent position in the main street of Waihi. The Army has been represented in the district since 1894, and a large wooden building, seated for 250 persons, with officers' quarters behind, was erected three years later. There are fifty soldiers in the local corps, and a good band has been established. The Sunday School is attended by forty scholars. The officer in charge of the district holds occasional services at Waitekauri.
Mr. John Marcus Jansen, Officer in charge of the Salvation Army Barracks at Waihi, was born in Denmark in 1863, and came to Wellington with his parents by the ship “Humboldt” in 1876. He is a wood turner by trade, and worked at his business for about fourteen years. Mr. Jansen joined the Army in 1883. Later on he gave up business, and in 1892 he went into the Training Home at Christchurch, whence he was shortly afterwards sent out as captain. He had many appointments before being sent to Waihi in January, 1900. Mr. Jansen was married to a daughter of Mr. J. Sutherland, of Wellington.
The Waihi Club was established in 1897, and is domiciled in an annexe specially added to the Waihi Hotel for the club in 1898. The club has a large reading room, supplied with the latest newspapers and magazines, a billiard room, in which there is a capital table, smoking room, writing room, and a private bar. There are 100 members, and the business of the club is managed by a committee of eleven; Mr. T. Gilmour (president), Mr. H. Croucher (treasurer), and Messrs Allen and Whyte (honorary secretaries).
Lodge Waihi, No. 112, N.Z.C. This Masonic Lodge was established in 1898. The first W.M. was Mr. R. S. Ready. The officers for 1900 were: Messrs T. P. Clark (W.M.), J. Hume (S.W.), St. Clair (J.W.), D. Campbell (treasurer), and H. Benner (secretary). The Lodge owns a beautiful hall in Kenny Street, erected at a cost of £300.
Loyal John Leyden Lodge, I.O.O.F., M.U., Waihi. This Lodge was established in June, 1897, and has about 212 members. The officers for 1900 were: Messrs T. McCarthy (G.M.), W. Keely (N.G.), D. Saunders (treasurer), and A. Katz (permanent secretary).
Court Waihi, A.O.F., 7597. The officers for 1900 were: Messrs A. Cathey (C.R.), H. Hartley (S.C.R.), W. Cullen (S.W.), A. Sneddon (J.W.), G. Harvey (S.B.), G. W. Gregory (J.B.), A. H. Clark (treasurer), and T. E. Palmer (secretary), This Court was established in 1895, and has a membership of over 150.
Mr. Thomas Ernest Palmer, Secretary to Court Waihi, was born at Meridon, near Coventry, England, in 1871. He was educated at King Henry the Eight's School at Warwick, was brought up as an architect, and obtained a thorough insight into the building trade during six years. In 1893 he arrived in Auckland, and settled at Waihi, where he has erected a considerable number of buildings, including the club room at the Waihi Hotel, Tanner's block of buildings, and a good many of the shops in Main Street, besides numerous dwellings. Mr. Palmer was married, in January, 1899, to a daughter of Constable Whelan, of Waihi, and has two daughters—the first twins born in Waihi.
Mr. T. E. Palmer.
Pride Of Waihi Lodge, U.A.O.D., 20, was established in 1897. Officers for 1900: Messrs J. Malcolmson (P.A.), A. J. Proctor (A.D.), R. Henderson (V.A.), J. Sanders (treasurer), and E. M. Joll (secretary). There are fifty-four members, and fortnightly meetings are held at the Waihi Hall on alternate Wednesdays.
The Waihi Cycling And Touring Club was established on the 30th of July, 1898. Officers for 1900:—Messrs A. M. Myers (patron), R. S. Ready (president), T. Stewart (captain and treasurer), E. D. McRae (deputy-captain), and D. Morgan (honorary secretary). There is a membership of nearly fifty, and the club holds annual sports for cycling and running.
Mr. Evan Morgan, Secretary of the Waihi Cycling and Touring Club, was born in 1871 at Ballarat, Victoria. When he was only seven years of age he came with his parents to Otago, and was educated at the Blue Spur. He was taught the trade of a tailor at Lawrence and in Dunedin, where he worked altogether about ten years, and was employed by Messrs Herbert, Haynes and Co. in Dunedin and Invercargill for upwards of two years. In 1898 he settled in the Waihi district, and established himself in his present business. Mr. Morgan was one of the first members of the cycling club. He is a Forester, and is attached to Court Enterprise, Dunedin. Mr. Morgan was married, in September, 1898, to a daughter of the late Mr. Ockwell, of Dunedin.
The Waihi Jockey Club evolved from an old club which had existed for several years previously, was established in 1899, when the officers were: Messrs Jackson Palmer, M.H.R. (patron), D. Campbell, J.P. (president), W. Corbett (clerk of scales), D. Carmichan (clerk of course), J. Graham (starter), J. Flett (treasurer). The club holds an annual summer meeting on the racecourse on the Tauranga Road, and there are about sixty members.
The Waihi Brass Band, which was established in 1895, has twenty-eight performing members. It is a good band, and won the contest at Te Aroha in 1897. The band is attached to the North Island Brass Band Association, and competed at the Napier and Palmerston North contests in 1899. Mr. E. A. Johns is secretary.
“The Waihi Miner” (Galbraith and Co., proprietors), Waihi. This journal, the first copy of which was published in October, 1895, is now issued bi-weekly, and enjoys a large circulation. The manager is Mr. James Galbraith, who also edits the paper. Mr. J. M. Wrigley attends to the outside business, including canvassing and collecting, and the staff of the printing office is under the supervision of Mr. David J. Pearson.
Mr. James Marsden Wrigley, who is one of the staff of “The Waihi Miner,” was born at Talbot, Victoria, in 1871, and came with his parents to New Zealand when a child. He was educated at the Collegiate School. Tauranga, where his father, the late Mr. Thomas Dale Wrigley, was the proprietor of the Springwell Brewery. On completing his education Mr. Wrigley took a position in a grain and produce merchant's office at Tauranga, and, after twelve months, went to take up a position in the brewery of his uncle. Mr. George Ellis, of Hastings, Hawke's Bay. He was afterwards for five years manager of the Napier branch of the business, which position he relinquished to join the staff of “The Waihi Miner.” Mr. Wrigley is greatly esteemed throughout the district, and to his untiring efforts are largely due the success of the paper which he represents.
Mr. J. M. Wrigley.
The Waihi Police Sub-District is about thirty miles across. The station, which is situated in Kenny Street, consists of a six-roomed residence, office, and lock-up with two cells. There is a large section of land, which extends to the corner of Hazard Street, where it is intended to erect the courthouse.
Mr. Thomas Whelan, Constable in charge of the Waihi Sub-District, and Clerk to the Magistrate's Court, was born in New South Wales in 1845, and was brought up in Sydney, Melbourne, and Hobart, his father being Sergeant Whelan, who was in charge of the mounted orderlies at the Government Houses in those three capitals. Mr. Whelan joined the British Army in June, 1863, and served in the first battalion of the 12th Regiment in New South Wales and New Zealand for three years and two hundred and nine days. He was bought out in 1867, page 921 and joined the Armed Constabulary in Auckland. Mr. Whelan was then transferred to the Police Department, and was stationed successively at Opotiki, Tauranga, and Port Awanui. He was appointed to Waihi in June, 1897.
Haslett, Hamilton McDowell, Barrister and Solicitor, Waihi. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Kenny Street. Mr. Haslett was born in 1860 in Auckland, where he was educated, and served his articles to Mr. J. C. MacCormick. He was admitted in 1889, and practised at Picton for four years, and at Pahiatua for two years. He then returned to Auckland, where he was manager of the common law department in Mr. W. Coleman's office for about three years, and established his present practice in February, 1899. Mr. Haslett was married, in 1895, to a daughter of the late Mr. A. [unclear: S]. Duncan, of Picton, and has one daughter.
Mr. H. M. Haslett.
Forbes, Francis Courtney Sutherland, M.B. (Aberdeen), Surgeon and Physician, Waihi. Dr. Forbes was born at Fyzabad, Oudh, India, in 1867, and was educated at Newton Abbot, South Devon, England. He studied at Mariechal College, Aberdeen, where he resided with his guardian, Dr. Matthew Hay, professor of medical jurisprudence at the Aberdeen University. Dr. Forbes graduated in 1889, and came to Auckland in the same year by the s.s. “Kaikoura.” He was house surgeon at the Auckland Hospital in the years 1889 and 1890, and from 1892 to 1894 he practised his profession in Tauranga. He then settled in Paeroa, where he commenced to practise on the 1st of July, 1895, and continued till November, 1899, when he removed to Waihi. As a Freemason Dr. Forbes is connected with Lodge Ohinemuri. He was married in January, 1896, to a daughter of Colonel C. C. Rookes, of Auckland, and has one son.
Dr. F. C. S. Forbes.
Porter, Albert Harding, L.R.C.P., L.R.C.S. (Edin), L.F.P.S. (Glasgow), Physician and Surgeon, Rosemont Road, Waihi. Dr. Porter was born at Tarnagulla, Victoria, in 1869. He received his primary education in Auckland, and studied in Edinburgh and Glasgow for his medical degrees, which he obtained in 1894. On returning to New Zealand he settled at Tauranga, where he practised his profession, but removed to Waihi in October, 1898. Dr. Porter is medical officer of the local lodges of Oddfellows. Druids, and Rechabites, and was married in 1894.
Cranwell, Ruskin Burritt, Dental Surgeon, corner of Kenny Street and Tauranga Road, Waihi. This business was established in 1896 by Mr. W. Hobbs, who disposed of it on the 1st of May, 1900, to the present proprietor. Mr. Cranwell was born in Auckland, educated at the Auckland College and Grammar School, apprenticed to Mr. A. W. Chatfield, and is registered under the Dentists' Act of 1898.
Robins, William, Chemist and Druggist, Main Street, Waihi. This business was established in 1896, and has been conducted by the present proprietor since the end of 1898. Mr. Robins is the son of the late Mr. J. Robins, of Dunedin, where he was born in 1864. He was educated at the Middle District school, and finished his course at the Otago University. In 1889 he passed his pharmaceutical examinations, and was duly registered under the Pharmacy Act. Mr. Robins was apprenticed to Mr. Bernard Isaacs, of Dunedin, with whom he remained thirteen years, acting as manager for four years. He then removed to Timaru to take charge of the Friendly Societies' Dispensary. After four years and a half, he returned to Dunedin, and managed Mr. Carroll's business for two years. In 1897 he removed to Auckland under engagement to Mr. Colin Henderson. Mr. Robins was well known as a vocalist in Dunedin and Timaru, where he assisted the musical community in many ways, especially in comic opera and dramatic productions. He was a member of the Timera Operatic Society, took part in the Liedertafel, Choral Society, and was in church choirs in Dunedin and Timaru. In May, 1899, Mr. Robins was married to a daughter of Mr. S. Dumont, of Sydney, and has one daughter.
Mr. W. Robins.
Professional, Commercial and Industrial.
Alexander, George Erskine, Land, Estate and Commission Agent, Accountant and Sharebroker, Main Street, Waihi. Private residence, Main Street. Mr. Alexander does a considerable business in real estate in Waihi, and is agent for Messrs J. Spencer and Co., wholesale stationers, Auckland, Messrs McKay and Pratt, auctioneers at Paeroa, and Messrs Fenwick and Anderson, Auckland. He was born at Carrickfergus, Ireland, in 1819, educated at the Royal Academical Institution, Belfast, and was brought up to the linen manufacturing business. Subsequently he went to the United States, and was for six years accountant in a large pork packing factory. He then returned to Belfast, and was an accountant in the Northern Bank for two years. In 1878 he came to Auckland by the ship “Lady Jocelyn, and was engaged in various work for about twenty years, latterly in the Te Puke district. In 1897, Mr. Alexander removed to Waihi, where he established his present business. He is a member of the Advance Lodge, Independent Order of Rechabites, and is secretary to the committee of the Presbyterian Church.page 922
Gooch, Richard, Stock and Sharebroker, Land and Estate Agent, Victoria Street, Waihi. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Bedford McNiell's code is used by Mr. Gooch, who is district agent for the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, the Standard Fire and Marine Insurance Company, the North Queensland Insurance Company, and for the Official Assignee in Bankruptcy. Mr. Gooch has business and residence sites for sale in Waihi, which is a rapidly growing town, with every promise of increased values in the near future. He buys and sells shares on commission. As a sharebroker, he does a considerable business, and has agents in London, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin.
Ross, Andrew Young, Auctioneer and Sharebroker, Main Street, Waihi. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in March, 1899. Mr. Ross acts as local agent for the Official Assignee in Auckland. He was born in Taranaki, in 1865, and was educated at Gisborne. For seven years he was assistant clerk to the Gisborne Borough Council, and assistant secretary to the Gisborne Harbour Board. After ten years' general experience in the United States, Mr. Ross returned to New Zealand, in 1898, and settled at Waihi. He has held office as honorary secretary to the Waihi Literary and Debating Society, and to the Waihi Progressive League.
Foy, George, Photographer, Hazard Street, Waihi. This business was established by Mr. T. E. Price, of Tauranga, in 1899. He sold out in May, 1900, to the present proprietor, who is the eldest son of the late Mr. J. J. Foy, photographer, of the Thames. Mr. Foy was brought up to photography by his uncle. Mr. J. M. Foy, with whom he continued until he took over his present business.
Newdick, John, Baker and Confectioner, Waihi Street, Waihi. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1895 by Mr. Newdick, who built the present shop and residence in 1898, the old building having been burnt down. The bakehouse, which occupies the back portion of the allotment, was built for the purpose of the trade. Mr. Newdick was born at the Thames in 1870. He was educated in that town, and apprenticed to Mr. W. Scott, for whom he worked altogether seven years. After an experience of eighteen months in Zeehan, Tasmania, he returned to New Zealand, and settled in the Ohinemuri district, and commenced business at Waitekauri in 1894. About a year later he removed to Waihi. As a Freemason Mr. Newdick is a member of Lodge Waihi, 112, and he is a member of the local Oddfellows' Lodge. He is musical, and is prominently connected with the Waihi Brass Band, and was one of the contesting bandsmen at the Palmerston North contest in 1899. Mr. Newdick was married, in 1894, to a daughter of Mr. A. McIntyre, of Thames, and has two sons.
Roberts, William Edward, Baker and Confectioner, Kenny Street, Waihi. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in September, 1897, when the bakehouse and adjoining dwelling-house were erected for the purpose. The proprietor superintends the delivery, and an expert baker, who has been twenty-five years at the trade, is employed in the bakehouse. Mr. Roberts was born in Auckland, in 1874, and was brought up with his parents at Henderson. Subsequently he removed to the city, and remained there until he settled in Waihi in 1895. Mr. Roberts bought teams and worked in the bush till he established his present business. He is well known in athletic circles, and is one of the fastest men in the colony for long distances.
Aspinall, John, Builder, Contractor, and Estate Agent, Main Street, Waihi. This business was established in 1896, and Mr. Aspinall has erected, on his own account and to order, a considerable number of cottages and small residences in the district. He acts as agent for Messrs Bouskill and McNab, cemetery railling and tombstone manufacturers, Symonds Street, Auckland. Mr. Aspinall was born near Halifax, England, in 1837, and was sent to work in a stone quarry at the age of seven years. When he was twenty-two, he went to Manchester, and was five years in charge of the Corporation Stone Yards at Newton Street, Ancoats. Afterwards he had a stone yard of his own in Sackville Street, off Portland Street, and was building and contracting on his own account for fifteen years, during which period he erected about £10,000 worth of property for himself. Whilst he was in the Old Country Mr. Aspinall took great interest in Ragged Schools. He was a member of the Friends Adult Sunday Schools for nearly twenty years, and worked with the Society of Friends all through the memorable Lancashire cotton famine. He was for several years a director of the Cornbrook Orphanage, founded by the late Mr. William Birch, so noted in connection with the Free Trade Hall Sunday evening services, and latterly of the Auckland Tabernacle, New Zealand. In 1884, Mr. Aspinall arrived in Auckland by the ship “Northumberland,” and, after contracting for several years in that city, he went to Hawke's Bay, where he was engaged as a general contractor for eight years, and carried out works at the sea-wall and Marine Parade. In 1896 he removed to Waihi, and established his present business. He was married on his birthday, the 22nd of May, 1859, to a daughter of the late Mr. Jaggor, of Queensberry. This lady died in Sydney, in 1895, leaving two sons and four daughters, and in August, 1896, Mr. Aspinall contracted a second marriage with the widow of the late Mr. C. G. H. Sergent, of Portsmouth, and daughter of the late Mr. Charles Malvern, of Worcester, England.
Menzies and Co. (J. Calderwood, manager), Aerated Water and Cordial Manufacturers, Martin Street, Waihi; Head Office, Thames. The Waihi branch of this business was established in 1896. It is conducted in a wood and iron building, with a complete plant, consisting of a two-horse-power gasoline engine, aerator, and two bottlers.
Mr. James Calderwood, Manager, was born in Williamstown, Victoria, in 1863, and was brought up in Hamilton, Waikato. Before settling in Waihi he was manager of Messrs Menzies and Co.'s Te Aroha branch for about three years. Mr. Calderwood was married, in 1886, to a daughter of Mr T. Gatherale, of Mahurangi, and has two sons and two daughters.
Edwards And Towers (J. Edwards and W. J. Towers; J. D. Wells, manager), Painters and Decorators, Main Street, Waihi. Headquarters, Paeroa; branch at Te Aroha. This business was established in Paeroa about 1889, and the Waihi branch was opened in 1894, after business had been carried on for some time in the district.
Mr. John Dunedin Wells, Manager of the Waihi Branch of Messrs Edwards and page 923 Towers, was born in 1875, in Dunedin. He was educated at Devonport, Auckland, and learned his business with his father. Mr J. T. Wells, in Queen Street. After being about six months in Sydney and Melbourne he started business on his own account in 1895, and two years later settled at Waihi, where he received his present appointment. Mr. Wells is a member of the New Zealand Natives' Association, which he joined in Auckland, and is attached to the Waihi branch.
Mr. J. D. Wells.
Cullen and Co., (W. Shotbolt, manager), Drapers and Importers, Main Street, Waihi. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business, which is a branch of the firm's business at Paeroa, was established in 1898. The shop has a workroom behind, and a considerable local trade is done with the firm's well assorted stock of drapery goods.
Mr. Walter Shotbolt, Manager for Messrs Cullen and Co.'s business, was born at Pinchback, near Spalding, Lincolnshire, England, in 1873. He was educated at Willersby school, near Spalding, served his apprenticeship to the drapery trade with Mr. Tidd, of Stamford, and was afterwards four years with Messrs Cullen Bros., in Nottingham. Mr. Shotbolt came to Wellington by the s.s. “Kaikoura,” and went to Auckland, where he was in the service of Messrs Court Bros., in Queen Street, for a year. He then joined the Auckland firm of Messrs Cullen and Co., and has been successively its manager at the Thames, Te Aroha, Paoroa, Karangahake, and at Waihi, where he has been in charge since 1898.
Mr. W. Shotbolt.
Morgan, Evan, Tailor, Hazard Street, Waihi. Mr. Morgan's business was established in October, 1898. He himself is referred to elsewhere as honorary secretary to the Waihi Cycling and Touring Club.
Rob Roy Hotel (John Flett, proprietor), corner of Waihi and Tauranga Roads, Waihi. This well known hostelry, which was established in 1896, is a two storey wooden building, with a verandah and balcony, and contains sixty rooms, forty of which are bedrooms, and there are four sitting-rooms on each floor. One hundred guests can be seated comfortably in the dining room, and there is stabling behind the hotel for twelve horses.
Mr. John Flett, the Proprietor, was born in 1835 in the Orkney Islands, where he was brought up to country pursuits. He came out to Australia in 1856, and arrived in New Zealand at the time of the Gabriel's Gully “rush.” Mr. Flett was afterwards on the West Coast diggings, and settled at the Thames in 1868. He was well known as the proprietor of the Rob Roy Hotel, Parawai, till 1895, and during his residence at the Thames he was for a time a member of the Parawai Highway Board. Mr. Flett was married, in 1868, to a daughter of the late Mr John Flett, of Auckland, and has five sons and three daughters. There are three grandchildren.
Mr. J. Flett.
Adams, E. and Co., (Edward Adams), Plumbers, Tinsmiths and Ironworkers, Main Street, Waihi. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business was established by Mr. Adams in 1893. His premises consist of a shop and large workroom, which is fitted with rollers for the machinery required in a considerable business. Mr. Adams manufactures, in connection with his trade, tanks, baths and other articles too numerous to mention.
Mr. Edward Adams was born in Auckland in 1870, and was educated at the Thames, where he learnt his trade with Mr. Fagg, and, after having several years' experience with other firms, he established the present business on his own account. He is a member of the Wesleyan choir, and is always ready to assist in any local charitable object. Mr. Adams was married, in 1898, to the daughter of the late Mr. T. Gibbons, sawmiller, of the Thames.
Laurie, William, Mechanical Engineer, Waihi. Mr. Laurie was born in Glasgow in the year 1844, and, after leaving school, served his time with Messrs Isaac and William Whitesmith, the well-known firm of engineers of that city. He left their employ in 1864, and came out to Auckland, New Zealand, in the ship “Pegasus” in the same year Not page 924 finding any employment at his trade, he worked for a time for Messrs. Gillies and McIsaacs, timber merchants. Coromandel, but subsequently served under Messrs. Fraser and Tinne, the well-known Auckland engineering firm, for two years, and was then for a short period engineer on the steamer “No. 1 Enterprise,” plying to the North Shore. Mr. Laurie went to the Thames early in 1867—previous to the opening of the goldfields—in a small cutter, and engaged in prospecting for some months; he then, with three others, took up a claim called the “Bendigo,” in which he worked for some time. In 1868 he was appointed to the position of engineer on the steamer “No. 2 Enterprise,” running between Thames and Auckland, but six months later resigned and became engineer on several steamers plying up the Waitako River; he was also for a short time employed in erecting machinery in connection with various mines at the Thames. Mr Laurie was engaged for about nine months under Mr. Herrington, the well-known engineer, in erecting what is known as the “Big Pump” at the Thames. In 1871 he was appointed by Superintendent Gillies, of the province of Auckland, to the position of turncock for the Thames water supply, and, when the Borough Council assumed control, he remained in their employ in the same capacity for some twenty years. After 1889 he was for some years contractor to the Thames County Council for the keeping in good order and condition of the race, fluming, tunnels, etc., of the water supply. Mr. Laurie is a thoroughly competent engineer, having had a large and varied experience extending over forty years.
Mr. W. Laurie.
Phillips, Walter and Co. (T. Sheen, manager), Wholesale and General Ironmongers and Hardware Merchants, corner of Main Street and Rosemont Road, Waihi. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in June, 1899. It is carried on in a large two storey building, which comprises a dwellinghouse and a corner shop, with double windows, and a large verandah, extending across the footpath. There is a well selected clock on the premises.
Mr. Thomas Sheen, Manager of Messrs Phillips and Co.'s store, at Waihi, is the eldest son of the late Mr. John Sheen, commercial traveller. He was born in Dunedin, in 1875, educated at the Wellesley Street School, Auckland, and entered the service of Messrs T. and S. Morrin and Co. Subsequently he was with Mr. G. J. White, of Tokomaru Bay, near Gisborne, and afterwards with Messrs J. Hague Smith and Co., at Paeroa. For some time prior to receiving his present appointment, Mr. Sheen was with the Woodstock Goldmining Company at Karangahake, but was entrusted with the management of Messrs W. Phillips and Co.'s business on its establishment. Mr. Sheen is an Oddfellow, and has gone through the various offices in the Loyal Jubilee Lodge. I.O.O.F.,M.U., at Paeroa. As a Freemason, he is attached to Lodge Ohinemuri. He is also a member of the New Zealand Natives' Association, one of the committee of management for the Waihi Rugby Union, and an active member of the local volunteer fire brigade. Mr. Sheen was married, in 1899, to a daughter of Mr. G. Seymour, of Mercury Bay.
Mr. T. Sheen.
Smith, J. Hague and Co. (F. J. Sanders, manager), Main Street, Waihi; Head Office, Thames. The Waihi branch of this well known firm's business was opened in July, 1899, and occupies a fine shop, with a special show window, in a central position in Main Street. Behind the shop, there is a large shed, measuring 60 by 16 feet, for the storage of goods. The establishment is supplied with a thoroughly well assorted stock of hardware and miners' requisites.
Mr. Frederick James Sanders, Manager of Messrs Smith and Co.'s Waihi branch, was born in London, in 1855. When he was three years of age he arrived in Auckland with his parents, and received his education in that city. He entered the service of Messrs Cruickshank, Miller and Co., of Queen Street, and gained a knowledge of the hardware business. Subsequently he was with Mr. T. Wells, of Cambridge, and afterwards with Messrs John Houghton and Son, of the same town, and later still he was for four years in business on his own account. He then returned to Mr. Wells, and became manager of the hardware department of his business. When he first entered the employment of Messrs Smith and Co., it was as manager of the retail department of the firm's Paeroa branch. On the firm deciding to open the Waihi branch. Mr. Sanders was entrusted with its management. Mr. Sanders is a member of the Anglican Church, and superintendent of the local Sunday school. He was married, in 1883, to the daughter of Mr. J. Kingdon, of Cambridge, and has two sons and five daughters.
Mr. F. J. Sanders.
McLeay, Ernest Alexander, Boot and Shoe Manufacturer and Dealer, Main Street, Waihi. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business was established by Mr. McLeay in 1894, and was one of the first in the district. He has had the misfortune to be burnt out twice since that year. The present shop is well situated, and the proprietor keeps a large stock of imported goods. Mr. McLeay was born on the 11th of December, 1875, at the Thames, and was brought up by his uncle, Mr. H. Whitehead. He is a son of Mr. Daniel McLeay, late of the firm of Whitehead and McLeay, and worked at his trade at the Thames, until establishing his present business. Mr. McLeay is an Oddfellow, and is attached to the Loyal Charles page 925 Bruce Lodge, Thames. He was married, in 1898, to a daughter of the late Mr. Bulls, of the Thames.
G. J. Foy, photo.
Mr. E. A. McLeay.
Colebrooke, George, Butcher, Main Street, Waihi. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Hollis Road. This business was established by Anderson and Co., in 1897, and was acquired by Mr. Colebrooke in January, 1900. The shop is centrally situated in the main street, and the slaughterhouse is at the junction of the Waitekauri and Ohinemuri creeks. Mr. Colebrooke was born in the parish of Beneden, Kent, England, in 1856, and when he was eight years of age he came to New Zealand with his parents by the ship “Armstrong.” He was brought up as a carpenter at Tauranga, and worked at his trade until he purchased his present business. Mr. Colebrooke settled in the Ohinemuri district in 1878, and was engaged in building for a number of years at Te Aroha, where he erected the public school and public hall. At Waihi he erected the first poppet heads, and was engaged for a number of years as a mining carpenter. Mr. Colebrooke is a Forester, and belongs to the Waihi Court. He was married. in 1883, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Mangan, of the Thames, and has five sons and four daughters.
Vuglar, Thomas Perceval, Butcher, Main Street, Waihi. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was the first of its kind in Waihi, and was established in 1888, in a small shanty on the side of Tuthill's new buildings, at the corner of Tauranga Road and Main Street, when there were only two other business places in Waihi. About twelve months later the shop was closed, but it was re-opened again in 1892. The large double-fronted shop now occupied by the business was erected for Mr. Vuglar, and is well adapted for the purposes of the trade. Mr. Vuglar was born at Otahuhu, in 1871, was educated at Paeroa, and brought up to the business by his father, Mr. J. Vuglar. He carried on business extensively in Waihi till 1897, when he became involved during the mining boom, and was consequently unfortunate. Notwithstanding this, however, he has continuously conducted the business since 1892. Mr. Vuglar was married on the 5th of September, 1898, to a daughter of the late Mr. Robson, of Paeroa.
Clark, Archibald Hugh, Storekeeper and Fruiterer, Main Street, Waihi. Mr. Clark was born on the 8th of September, 1845, in Tasmania, and came to Nelson in 1856 by the brig “Harp.” After being about six years at sea, he was for a time on the West Coast diggings, and settled at the Thames in 1869. He was for many years engaged in mining and speculating, and afterwards acquired a public house and a gum store at Katikati. In 1892 he settled in Waihi, and shortly afterwards established his present business. He is a member of Court Waihi, A.O.F., and holds office as treasurer. Mr. Clark was married, in 1879, and has four sons and one daughter.
Dick, Alexander John, Storekeeper, Main Street, Waihi. This business was established in 1895 by the proprietor, who was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1861, and learned the grocery business in his native land. He came to New Zealand in 1894, and, after some experience at Gore, in connection with his trade, he settled at Waihi, and established his present business.
McWatters, W. (Robert Henry Holmes, manager), General Produce Merchant, Waihi. Head Establishment, Paeroa.
Mr. Robert Henry Holmes, Manager, was born in Belfast, Ireland, and served his time to the grocery business in Armagh. He came to New Zealand in 1883. After carrying on business in Wellington for several years, he decided to visit Auckland, and was engaged by Mr. McWatters to manage his Waihi branch business.
Mr. R. H. Holmes.
Mr. E. S. Ryburn.
Roberts, J. And S. (Joseph and Stephen Roberts), General Storekeepers, Waihi. Head office, Thames; branch at Waikino. Bankers. National Bank of New Zealand. The Waihi branch business was established in the early days by Mr. J. Chandler, and was purchased by the Messrs Roberts in November, 1899.
Mr. Stephen Roberts, Resident Partner, was born in the West of England, in 1868, and arrived in New Zealand in 1874. About 1880, he went to the Thames, where he gained his business experience, and was for some years engaged in the plumbing trade. He and his brother founded the firm in 1896. Mr. Roberts was married, in 1895, to a daughter of the late Mr. McKenzie, of London, and has one son.
Foy Bros., photo.
Mr. and Mrs S. Roberts and Child.
Tailor, John Ede, General Storekeeper, Waihi. This business, which is one of the oldest on the goldfields, was originally established by Messrs John Phillipps and Son, and has been conducted by the present proprietor since 1896. Mr. Taylor was born in Birmingham, England, in 1863, and served an apprenticeship of five years in Messrs Wilkinson and Riddel's drapery establishment. He came to Wellington by the s.s. “Ruapehu,” in 1884, and served successively with Thompson, Shannon and Co., Wellington, Blythe and Co., Napier, Thompson and Co., and the D.I.C., Wellington, and afterwards acquired his present business at Waihi. Mr. Taylor was elected to the Ohinemuri licensing bench in 1900.
The Ohinemuri Coaching Company, Ltd., Waihi Branch. This branch has two stables in the township, both wooden buildings, with twelve stalls each. Buggies and other conveyances are kept for hire, as required, and there are three coaches daily between Waihi and Paeroa, and a coach runs three times a week between Tauranga and Waihi.
Mr. George Johnston, Manager of the Waihi Branch of the Ohinemuri Coaching Company, was born at Leitrim, in County Leitrim, Ireland, in 1871, and was brought up to agriculture. He came to Wellington by the s.s. “Rimutaka” in 1891, and settled in Auckland, where he was for about five years on the Matamata station. In 1896 Mr. Johnston removed to Waihi, and in partnership with Mr. Alfred Rowe, under the style of Rowe and Johnston, started a line of coaches between Waihi and Paeroa. Two years later Mr. Johnston bought his partner's interest, and conducted the business singly till August, 1899, when the plant was acquired by the Ohinemuri Coaching Company, and Mr. Johnston took the position of manager at Waihi. He is a Freemason, attached to Lodge Waihi, 112; a member of the John Leyden Lodge of Oddfellows, and is also an honorary member of the local Court of Foresters.
Mr. George Smith, Driver of the Royal Mail Coach for the Ohinemuri Coaching Company between Waihi and Paeroa, was born in Auckland on the 4th of November, 1873. He is the son of Mr. Harry Smith, now in Melbourne, who drove the first coach between Te Aroha and Paeroa, and was educated at Te Aroha, where he was practically brought up among horses. He has had large experience in Te Aroha, in Waikato, and in the Ohinemuri district, and was frequently entrusted with four and five horse teams before leaving school. For about seven years he was driver on a line of coaches between Te Aroha and Morrinsville, and for over three years between Te Aroha and Paeroa, and claims to have driven the last coach between these two places. Since 1894 Mr. Smith has handled the ribbons on the Paeroa-Waihi line.
Thomson, A. and Co., (Archibald Thomson), Coach Proprietors. Stables, Sterling Hotel, Waihi; Commercial Hotel, Paeroa. The line of coaches owned by this firm dates from the 2nd of April, 1900. Two coaches and fourteen horses are engaged in the trade. The departures from the Waihi terminus are made at 8 a.m. and 2.30 p.m., and from the Paeroa terminus at 10.30 a.m. and 5.30 p.m. daily.
Mr. Archibald Thomson was born at Warkworth, Mahurangi, in 1865. In his early days he was brought up partly to baking, and partly to plumbing, but has been engaged mostly in country work and coaching. He commenced as a driver between Tauranga and Te Puke for Mr. J. Fenton in 1888, and was afterwards on the Tauranga-Paeroa line. For about two years before commencing his present line Mr. Thomson had a waggon plant in conjunction with a partner.
The Waihi Public Baths (Joseph Slevin, proprietor), Kenny Street, Waihi. The proprietor completed and opened these baths in April, 1900. There are in all eight rooms, one of which is a waiting and another a store room. Each of the six bathrooms is well finished, and in each there is a most comfortable modern bath, supplied with hot and cold water and shower. The heating apparatus is at the back of the building, and consists of a high pressure water jacket, with a two-hundred gallon tank for hot, and a six-hundred gallon tank for cold water obtained from the local supply. The baths are a great boon to the residents of Waihi.
The Tamaki Sawmill Company (Benjamin Leonard Knight, proprietor; G. McGlashan, manager; Yards, Main Street, Waihi; Mills at Waimata and Katikati. This large sawmilling business was established about 1895 by Mr. J. A. Brown, who conducted it till October, 1893, when he sold his interest to the present proprietor. The premises at Waihi are of iron and wood. There are stacking and drying sheds and the usual sawing and planing plant at the yards, and a considerable stock is maintained for the retail trade.
Mr. George McGlashan, Manager of the Tamaki Sawmilling Company at Waihi, was born at Clive, Hawke's Bay, in November, 1876. He was educated at Clive and in Napier, and has been engaged in the timber business with Mr. Knight, of Dannevirke, since 1892. For three years Mr. McGlashan was manager of Mr. Knight's branch at Eketahuna, and took charge of the Waihi branch in March, 1900.
Mr. G. McGlashan.
Savage, Henry Charles, Farmer, Waihi. Mr. Savage has been a settler in Waihi since 1880, when he took up 150 acres of agricultural land on deferred payment. He was born in Queen's County, Ireland, in 1854, and served two years in the Tenth Hussars before leaving for Wellington in the ship “Hindostan,” in 1875. After his arrival he was for some time engaged in mining at the Thames. Mr. Savage has done a good deal of prospecting in the district, and was for two or three years on the West Coast.
Settlers and Old Colonists.
Brown, John Anderson, Settler, Waihi. Mr. Brown has been well known in connection with the growth and development of the district. He was born in 1856 in Auckland, where he was educated and served his time at boatbuilding with Mr. V. Savage, of the Thames. After that he took contracts for felling kauri bush and building dams, and was so occupied for about ten years. He removed to Waihi in 1891, and contracted to construct large dams for the Waihi Company. After a year at Mercury Bay, where he was in business as a bush contractor, he returned to Ohinemuri, and, in conjunction with two brothers, erected the Crown battery at Karangahake. In 1893 Mr. Brown entered the timber trade at Waihi, built a mill, and purchased a bush at Waititi creek. He afterwards erected the Waimea mill, and conducted an extensive trade as a timber merchant and contractor, till November, 1899, when he sold the business to Mr. B. L. Knight, of Hawke's Bay. During his career at Waihi Mr. Brown erected many important buildings in the district, and supplied the timber for large numbers of others. As a Freemason he was initiated in Lodge Sir Walter Scott, Thames, where he took the Royal Arch degree. He is also attached to Lodge Waihi, 112. Mr. Brown was married, in 1882. to a daughter of the late Mr. C. Campbell, of Scotland, and has two sons and three daughters.
Mr. Daniel Campbell, J.P., is one of the earliest settlers in the Waihi district. He was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1862, and was an infant when he arrived with his parents in Auckland. Mr. Campbell was educated at the Thames, where he was brought up to storekeeping, and he removed to Waihi in 1882 as manager for Messrs J. Phillipps and Son. Four years later he took over the business of that firm in Waihi, and conducted it for a number of years in conjunction with the coaching business between Waihi and Paeroa. Mr. Campbell was the first to run a public conveyance on the road, and had the first mail contract between Waihi and Paeroa. He also ran a coach between Waihi and Tauranga. In 1893 Mr. Campbell retired from the storekeeping business, and occupied himself entirely with the management of the coaching and livery stable, till 1898, when he sold out to Mr. Hunter. Mr. Campbell has been a member of the licensing bench, to which he was returned at the top of the poll in 1896. He is a Freemason, and treasurer of Lodge Waihi, 112. Mr. Campbell was married, in 1886, to a daughter of the late Mr. Edward Lambert, of Parawai, Thames, and has six sons.
Mr. George Cumpston may fairly be regarded as the pioneer settler of the Waihi district, in which he arrived in 1878. He was the first settler to cross the Waitekauri river, and Mrs Cumpston was, for two years, the only lady resident in the district. Mr. Cumpston was born in the North of Ireland, in 1828, and was brought up to the stone manufacturing business. He went to America at the age of twenty-four, and about eleven years later came to New Zealand. Mr. Cumpston was for about eleven years in the Manukau district, and settled at the Waihi in 1878, when he acquired 200 acres of land, then in its natural condition. He has taken an active interest in the local school committee since its establishment, and occupied the position of chairman for about nine years. Mr. Cumpston was married, in 1852, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Ochiltree, of County Armagh, Ireland, and has three daughters surviving; namely, Mesdames Kinsella, Nichols, and Hollis, who all reside in the district; and there are eighteen grand-children.
Mr. Sheriff Benjamin Frederick Walmsley, who is one of the early settlers in the Waihi district, came when very young to Nelson with his parents in the year 1849. Mr. Walmsley resided in Nelson for about thirty years, during which he was engaged chiefly in office work. His brother, Mr. Horatio Agars Walmsley, settled in Waihi in 1879, when he took up land, and was joined two years later by Mr. S. B. F. Walmsley. The brothers engaged chiefly in rearing and breeding cattle, and their purebred Ayrshires were from imported stock. The leasehold land, which they took up, was afterwards declared auriferous, and a freehold could not be obtained. Messrs Walmsley were engaged for many years afterwards in the business of timber contractors.
Mr. J. L. Stevens, Old Colonist, Waihi, was born in London and educated at St. Paul's school. He came to Auckland in 1863, by the ship “Tyburnia,” and like all other able-bodied men at that time, he was engaged in the Waikato war, and saw the last stand of the Maoris at Orakau. He afterwards bought a piece of kauri bush at Coromandel, and was engaged for some time in the timber trade. Having sold out his business, he turned his attention to mining and assisted at the first battery crushing of quartz from the Thames field. This consisted of three tons of ore from the Tookey claim, and the crushing yielded one hundred and sixty-seven ounces of melted gold. Mr. Stevens then left Coromandel with the battery plant from the Waihau Gold Mining Company and the plant was erected on Tookey's Flat at the Thames and named the Prince Alfred. He was afterwards engaged as manager of Souter's battery. The returns of this mill during the first year of his management were published in the “Daily Southern Cross” newspaper of the 29th of September, 1869, and showed a yield of 27,486 ounces 8 dwts 14 grains, from 2765 tons of quartz from sixty different claims. The mill was afterwards sold and Mr. Stevens went farming. He afterwards became successively a gum buyer, storekeeper and hotelkeeper. Mr. Stevens has a family of three sons and seven daughters.