The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Golden Cross is a mining camp on the site of the Golden Cross section of the Waitekauri Company's mine. It sprang into existence as a township about 1896, and is connected by road with Waitekauri, and also by a tramway constructed about 1895. The township has a hotel, one store, a draper's shop, a bakery, two butcheries, a billiard saloon, a public hall, and a public school. A recreation ground has already (1900) been carved out of the bush, and means are being taken to make it available for sports and gatherings. The population of Golden Cross is about 400. The Golden Cross mine was prospected about 1895 by Messrs Lowrie Bros., who found payable gold.
The Golden Cross Public School contains one class-room and a porch, and has accommodation for sixty children; there are fifty-six on the roll, and the average attendance is fifty-two. The school site adjoins the recreation reserve, where there is plenty of opportunity for the physical exercise of the scholars.
Mr. David McNaughton, Headmaster of the Golden Cross Public School, was born at Riverton, Southland, in 1873. He was educated at Tauranga, where he served his pupil-teachership. Mr McNaughton became assistant master at Waihi, and after being nearly two years in that position he was appointed to the mastership of the Golden Cross School.
Golden Cross Hotel (G. H. Archer, proprietor), Rata [unclear: s]treet, Golden Cross. This hotel was built in 1899, and occupies a commanding position in the mountain camp which constitutes the township of Golden Cross. It is a two-storey wooden building of seventeen rooms, of which ten are bedrooms, and three are sitting rooms, and there is a dining room with accommodation for fifty guests. The license was granted in 1899.
Mr. George Henry Archer, Proprietor, was born in 1874 at the Bay of Islands, and was educated in Auckland. He was brought up to storekeeping in Cambridge, Waikato, and other places, and was employed by the Goldfields Co-operative Stores Company before becoming licensee of the Golden Cross Hotel.
Rowe, W. and Co., (William Wilson Rowe; J. E. Johnston, manager), Golden Cross. Headquarters, Waitekauri. The handsome building in which the Golden Cross branch of this firm's business is conducted, was erected in 1898. There is a convenient shop, and a four-roomed residence with a verandah.
Mr. John Eric Johnston, Manager of the Golden Cross branch of the firm's business, was born at Hampden, Otago, in 1870, but was educated in Auckland, where he was brought up to the drapery business. He joined Mr. Rowe in Waitekauri, in 1897, and when the Golden Cross branch was opened he was appointed its manager. Mr. Johnston takes an interest in all local affairs, and is a member of the Waitekauri Lodge of Oddfellows. He was married on the 30th of April, 1900, to a daughter of Mr. Brownett, of the Thames.
Mr. J. E. Johnston.
The Goldfields Co-Operative Stores, Ltd., (H. F. Rogers, manager.) Golden Cross branch, Main Street, Golden Cross. Head office, Waitekauri. This branch was established in 1895. The building is of iron, and consists of a large double-fronted shop, with a store, an office, and a residence; and the business of the local post office is conducted on the premises.
Mr. Henry Francis Rogers, Manager of the Golden Cross branch of the Goldfields Co-operative Stores, Ltd., was born in 1875 at Tapu. He was educated in Auckland, and gained his first experience in storekeeping at Helensville with Mr. D. Stewart, with whom he remained for six years and a half. Mr. Rogers then removed to Paeroa, where he was employed with Messrs J. Phillipps and Son for two years, and settled at Waitekauri in 1896. He was in the employment of Mr. J. Darrow for a year, and was appointed to his present position in 1897. Mr. Rogers is a member of the Waitekauri Court of Foresters, and is also postmaster at Golden Cross.
Mr. H. F. Rogers.