The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Parawai is a suburb of the Thames, three miles distant. Its flag station, on the Thames-Auckland railway, is 143 miles south-east from Auckland.
The Parawai Public School, which stands on a section of half an acre in Banks Street, is a wooden building with two classrooms, two vestibules, and the headmaster's room. The school is one of the oldest on the Thames, and has accommodation for 200 children. There are 157 on the roll, and the average attendance is 127. The teacher in charge is assisted by one certificated and two pupil teachers.
Mr. William John May, Headmaster of the Parawai Public School, holds a D2 certificate. He was born in Waiuku, in 1865, and was educated on the Thames, where he had arrived with his parents in 1871. He was one of the first to attend the Kauaeranga Boys School, originally held in the old volunteer hall. Mr. May served his pupil teachership at the Thames, and went to the Auckland Training College in 1884. After two years' study. Mr. May was appointed to the charge of Hikutaia school, where he remained for three years. After being eighteen months at Puriri he was appointed to the Parawai school in 1891. Mr. May has taken an interest in breeding and rearing poultry since 1895, and especially Orpingtons, with which he has been successful in winning a number of prizes, including two Orpington cups, one at Auckland and one at the Thames, two separate cups for two successive years. Mr. May was married, in 1889, to a daughter of Mr. F. Ashman, of the Thames. Mrs May died in 1897, leaving one son and two daughters.