The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Huntly, on the Waikato line, is sixty-five miles south from Auckland. The station is 65 feet above sea level, and the settlement is situated on the banks of the Waikato river. It is connected by punt with the native settlement of Waatu. Huntly was originally known by the Maori name of Rahuipakeka. In the early sixties the late Mr. Anthony Ralph became the first settler. For some years the coalmine known as the Waikato was worked by the Government on the west side of the river opposite Huntly, and from it the steamers plying on the river received their supplies. The late Mr. Anthony Ralph is said to have been the discoverer of coal on the Huntly side of the river. About 1875 a coal company was formed to work deposits at Huntly. Other mines were subsequently opened up, and later on the whole of the mines were amalgamated under the title of the Taupiri Coal Mines, Limited. From those mines there is a large output. The township of Huntly is a growing one. There is one large hotel close to the railway station, and there is a considerable number of business people in the place. Most of the Christian churches are represented in the district. The township, which is picturesquely situated, has a public library, a post and telegraph office, a daily mail service, and a population of about 600 persons.
The Huntly Rifle Corps. This corps, which was established in October, 1889, is composed principally of coal miners. The full strength of the company is sixty-three. The officers are: Mr. R. Ralph, captain; Messrs Elliott and Blank, lieutenants. Mr. Laing, M.H.R., is patron.
Captain Robert Reilly Ralph, who is at the head of the Huntly Rifle Corps, in which he takes a deep interest, was born at Onehunga, in 1850. He is a son of the late Mr. Anthony Ralph, who took up about 200 acres of land at Huntly, the property on which coal was first found in the district. Mr. Ralph was the prospector and discoverer of the seam of coal, and sank the first shaft into the seam, which is 70 feet thick. He was for nearly twenty years connected as underviewer with the Taupiri Extended Mine, and he is still a large shareholder in the Taupiri Coal Mine Company. Mr. Ralph is settled on a farm of 1000 acres of land at Kimihia, and the railway station is on his property. He was married on the 16th of December, 1874, to a daughter of Mr. Robert Muir, and has seven sons and four daughters.
Captain R. R. Ralph.
Huntly Railway Station And Post And Telegraph Office. The Huntly railway station, which was established about 1880, is built of wood and iron, and contains a large waiting room, ladies' waiting room, a lamp and luggage room, and the post and telegraph office. There is also a goods shed, and an engine and coaling shed for the engine. About ten trains daily pass through the station, and the staff consists of five hands, besides the stationmaster. There is a large coal export, and from 60,000 and 70,000 tons are sent away annually.
Mr. George Henry Cottam, Stationmaster, Postmaster and Telegraph Officer, was born in London in 1853. He was educated at the London University, and came out to Nelson in 1872 in the barque “Chawdiere.” After working in Nelson for some time he went to Wellington, and started in business as a commission agent. In 1874, he joined the railway service in Wellington, working in the Store Department, and at the end of six months was transferred to Foxton, where he remained for twelve months in a similar capacity. He was then appointed stationmaster at Palmerston North, on the opening of the railway there, and remained three years. Subsequently he held similar appointments at Kai-iwi, Waverley, New Plymouth, Mercer, and Papakura. He was next appointed chief clerk at Greymouth, and remained there for six years, when he was transferred to Christchurch, where he had charge of the delivery of the north and south goods for another six years. In 1895 he was appointed to Pleasant Point, South Canterbury, and was transferred to Huntly in October, 1900.
Mr. G. H. Cottam.
Mr. Noah Harry, who is one of the Engineers in charge of the Coal Pumping Department of the Huntly Railway Station at Huntly, was born in Cardiff, Wales, in 1852. He engaged in railway work in the Old Country, and was an engine driver until he left for New Zealand in 1884. Soon after his arrival page 706 in the colony he joined the New Zealand railways, and was driving for the contractor of the Rotorua section for one year. Afterwards he was engaged as a fireman and driver by the Government till 1890, when he was appointed to Huntly. Mr. Harry is well known as a poultry fancier. He has imported pure black Spanish fowls, has frequently competed at the Auckland and local shows, and has on several occasions taken special prizes. He is also a breeder of Pekin ducks, and has imported several fine specimens. Mr. Harry was married, in 1889, to a daughter of the late Mr. L. James, of Mercer, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. N. Harry.
The Huntly Public School, which was established about 1880, has been several times enlarged. It is built of wood and shingle, and has three class rooms and a large porch, with accommodation for 300 children. There are about 180 children on the roll, with an average attendance of 140. The headmaster is assisted by two certificated teachers and a pupil teacher. The school stands on an acre of land, and the schoolhouse is on a separate section of three-quarters of an acre.
Mr. James Elliot, Headmaster of the Huntly Public School, holds a C1 certificate, and was born in 1865 at Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland. He studied in Edinburgh and at Glasgow University, and gave himself up to literary pursuits for some years. In 1891 Mr. Elliot arrived in Wellington by the s.s. “Rimutaka,” and after removing to Auckland became an officer of the Board of Education. He was two years at Waipu Cove school, and nearly four years at Kohukohu, Hokianga, before being appointed to Huntly in 1899.
St. Paul's Anglican Church, Huntly, was erected about 1893. It is a wooden building, and has accommodation for 200 worshippers. The vicar, the Rev. H. Mason, makes periodical visits to Ngaruawahia.
The Huntly Presbyterian Church, which stands on a quarter acre section on the Great South Road, is built of kauri wood and iron, and has accommodation for one hundred persons. There is a church hall at the back with seats for sixty. The minister in charge, the Rev. J. Egerton Ward, supplies at Kimihia, Matahura, Matahura Gorge, Wairenga, Whangamarino, Churchill, Glen Murray, Pukerimu, and Woodleign, and also does some work amongst the Maoris, besides acting as chaplain to the local volunteer corps.
The Huntly Wesleyan Church is built of wood and iron, and stands on a quarter of an acre section adjoining the railway. It was built in 1898, has accommodation for 150 worshippers, and services are held each Sunday. A Sunday School and Band of Hope are conducted in connection with the church. Huntly is the headquarters of the Wesleyan Home Mission district, which extends from Taupiri to Whangamarino, and in connection with which services are held periodically at Taupiri, Kimihia, Ohinewai, Rangiriri, Churchill, Whangamarino and Matahura.
Mr. Arthur Cyril Randerson, Home Missionary in charge, is the son of Mr. J. R. Randerson, and grandson of the late Rev. John Randerson, sometime missionary in Jamaica and member of the British Wesleyan Conference. He was born at Coromandel, Auckland, in 1877, and was educated at the public schools of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, and at the Boys' High School, Christchurch, where he matriculated. After several years on the staff of the Cyclopedia Company, he entered Home Mission work in the Methven district, Canterbury, and, having been accepted for the ministry at the Conference of 1901, was appointed to his present position pending a vacancy at the connexional training college. He is an ardent temperance worker, and holds the position of D.D.G.C.T. in the Good Templar Order.
Lodge Taupiri, No. 118, N.Z.C. This Masonic lodge was founded in September, 1900, when the officers were: Bro. J. Elliot, W.M.; Bro. D. McKinnon, S.W.; Bro. S. Governor, J.W.; Bro. H. H. Gould, treasurer; and Bro. J. R. Hetherington, secretary.
Huntly Cricket Club. This club was originally known as the Huntly Cricket Club, but in 1900 the name was changed to that of the Taupiri. Officers for 1900; Messrs J. Elliot, E. Ellison, W. Ellison, C. Gleeson, and N. Hill (secretary).
The Huntly Football Club, which was re-organised in 1899, has a senior and junior team. Officers for 1900: Messrs F. W. Lang, M.H.R., president; J. Elliot, vice-president; and N. Hill, secretary. Mr. J. Clout is captain of the senior team, and Mr. J. McIntosh, of the junior team.
The Huntly Orchestral Society, which was established at Christmas, 1899, has eight performing members. The society is popular in the district, and gives entertainments, in addition to performing at public functions. It is under the presidency and conductorship of Mr. R. Skellern.
The Huntly Rifle Volunteer Brass Band was established in January, 1901, and has a membership of eighteen. Its members wear the uniform of the corps, but the band is to all intents and purposes a public band, and plays and performs for charitable and other purposes, as well as in connection with volunteer parades. Officers for 1900: Messrs R. Skellern, bandmaster; W. Shera, secretary; and A. Turner, treasurer.
Mr. and Mrs R. Skellern.
The Huntly Public Library has a considerable number of books, and there is a reading room with the usual newspapers. Officers for 1900: Messrs E. Coxon, chairman, M. Friar, treasurer, W. Bailey, secretary, and J. A. Parkes, H. R. Porter, J. S. Clout, and J. Elliot, trustees.
Mr. Karaka Kereru Tarawhiti, Native Assessor, Huntly, was born in 1848 at Taupiri, in the Waikato. His father, the Rev. Heta Tarawhiti, who was related to King Tawhiao, was overseer of the Native school at Taupiri, where one Rev. B. V. Ashwell, a clergyman of the Church of England, was in charge. When only about three years of age K. K. Tarawhiti attended the school with his father, and continued in attendance till 1862, when it broke up. In 1859, Mr. Heta Tarawhiti went to St. Stephen's, Parnell, Auckland, to train for the ministry of the Church of England, and was in due course admitted to orders by Bishop Selwyn. When Mr. Ashwell returned to Auckland in 1862, the Rev. H. Tarawhiti took charge of the mission station at Taupiri. During the Maori war of 1863 the Imperial troops under General Cameron passed through Taupiri, to Ngaruawahia, and the war steamers “Pioneer” and “Avon,” under Commodore Sir William Wiseman, were stationed at Taupiri for a time. On one occasion, about December, 1863, young Tarawhiti and William Turner, a Pirongia half-caste, who acted as interpreter to the Commodore, rode a whole night from Taupiri to Te Rore with horses—supplied without pay by the Rev. H. Tarawhiti—for Sir William Wiseman's use in connection with the war at Te Awamutu, Rangiaohia, Hairini, and Orakau, whither the Commodore had gone with his force in the steamer “Avon.” Then from February to May, 1864, Mr. K. K. Tarawhiti and other natives, with Tewheoro, were engaged in transporting supplies for the troops from Whatawhata to Te Rore, and in bringing down the prisoners in canoes, as the Waipa river was unnavigable by the war steamers during those months. Mr. Tarawhiti was one of those who brought Colonel Nixon from Te Rore to Maungatawhiri, in a canoe, when that gallant officer received his death wound at Rangiaohia on the 23rd of February, 1864. When the war was over in 1864–65, Mr. Tarawhiti accompanied the Rev. B. V. Ashwell, when the latter officially visited the various military camps in the Waikato, and was subsequently a member of a survey party in 1868. He was storekeeping and farming from 1870 to 1873; was native policeman in 1879–80 for Taupiri, Huntly, and Rangiriri, and afterwards became a member of the Native Committee for Waikato and the King Country under the Act of 1883. In 1885 Mr. Tarawhiti was appointed to a Native Assessorship for the Native Land Court of New Zealand under the Acts of 1880, 1886, and 1894, and also for the Stipendiary Magistrate's Court of the Waikato, under the Acts of 1852 and 1862; and he still (August, 1901) fulfils the duties of the dual position.
The Huntly Police Station is situated in a central position in the township, and consists of a six-roomed residence, with a lock-up. It was established in 1890, and the district includes the country between Rangiriri and Taupiri, about twenty-five miles.
Mr. Edward Howell, Constable in charge of the Huntly District, was born in the County of Durham, England, in 1870. In 1891 he arrived in Wellington by the s.s. “Kaikoura,” and entered the Permanent Artillery. After two years' service he was transferred to the Police Department in 1895. He was stationed at Christchurch and Auckland prior to his appointment to Huntly in 1898. Mr. Howell was married, in 1894, to a daughter of Mr. P. Walsh, of County Kerry, Ireland, and has one daughter.
MacLachlan, Hugh Kennedy, L.R.C.P. (Edin.) and LL.B. and S. (Glas.), Physician and Surgeon, Huntly. Dr. MacLachlan is a son of the late Dr. Thomas MacLachlan, J.P., D.L., of Rothesay, and brother of the late Major-General J. I. MacLachlan, of the Royal Horse Artillery. He was born in 1842 at Rothesay, Isle of Bute, and after receiving his early education at a private school, entered Glasgow University and Anderson's School of Medicine. On taking his degrees, Dr. MacLachlan joined for a short time the 74th Highlanders (now 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry) and served in the Mediterranean. Subsequently he served in Jamaica and in the Bombay Presidency, with intervals of Home service. After being in private practice for a short period he came to New Zealand in 1877, landing at Wellington, and has been practising at Huntly for some years. Dr. MacLachlan is a member of the Masonic body, is married and has an only child.
Dr. H. K. MacLachlan.
Cadman, John Charles, Chemist and Druggist, Huntly. This business was established in 1894 by the proprietor, who was born in London in 1860, and arrived in Port Chalmers by the ship “Dallam Tower,” in 1878. Mr. Cadman was for some time engaged page 708 in mercantile life. He gained his experience as a chemist in Christchurch and Auckland, and was for some years in business at Parnell before settling in Huntly.
Gleeson, Charles, Baker and Confectioner, Great South Road, Huntly. Established in 1889. Mr. Gleeson was born in Auckland in 1845, and on leaving school was apprenticed to the late Mr. Canning for five years; he afterwards had further considerable experience with leading bakers of Auckland. Mr. Gleeson first commenced business on his own account in Newton, Auckland, but eventually established himself in Huntly, where he now has a good connection and is well known.
The Taupiri Coal Mines, Ltd. Messrs E. W. Wilson, W. J. Ralph, H. A. Gordon, G. Winstone, and R. Walker, directors; Mr. F. Scherff, secretary. The present company was incorporated in April, 1899, to acquire the coal mines in the Huntly district, known as Ralph's Taupiri, Taupiri Reserve at Kimihia, the Taupiri Extended Mine, and the Waikato Coal Mine. Since then the machinery of the Waikato mine has been dismantled, and the company now works two mines—namely, Ralph's and the Taupiri Reserve at Kimihia. The Ralph's Mine at Huntly is worked by means of a pair of shafts, and that at Kimihia by an adit, with one ventilating shaft. The works at Kimihia extend for a considerable distance under the lake, and the mine is connected by two miles of private line with the main line of railway. The output of the mines for the years 1899 and 1900 was between 80,000 and 90,000 tons for each year. There has been a gradual increase in the output since opening, and 170 men and boys are employed, there being no night work.
Mr. Edward Septimus Wight, Manager of the Taupiri Coal Mine, was born in Sunderland, England, in 1863. He was educated in his native town, and was brought up to coal mining in South Wales and Durham. In 1887 he arrived in New South Wales, where he found employment at Newcastle, and was subsequently manager of South Greta, near Maitland. Mr. Wight came to New Zealand in 1894, and was for three years and a half at the Ngunguru Coal Company's Mine at Kiripaka, but left that employment to take charge of the Taupiri Reserve mine, in May, 1897. He was married, in 1891, to a daughter of Mr. T. Riley, of Sydney, and has one daughter and one son.
Mr. Henry Roper Porter, Engineer in charge of the Machinery at the Taupiri Coal Mines, Limited, was born in Auckland, in 1866. He qualified as an engineer in 1888, and after being employed at the Thames for some years, was for a time engaged as a fitter at the Onehunga Iron Works. Mr. Porter has been in the employment of the Taupiri Coal Company as engineer since 1890, and has been in full charge since 1897. As a member of the Anglican Church, he holds office as minister's churchwarden. Mr. Roper was married, in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. W. Smith, of Auckland.
Mr. Frederick William Soppet, Engineer in charge of the Kimihia Section of the Taupiri Coal Mine, was born in Auckland in 1865, and educated at the Auckland Grammar School. Having become an engineer, he was for four years employed by the Waikato Coal and Shipping Company at Ngaruawahia, and also worked for fifteen months at the Miranda Coal Mines, after which he re-entered the employment of the Waikato Coal and Shipping Company as an engineer. Subsequently he became engine driver at the extended section of the Huntly Coal Mine, and was appointed to his present position at Kimihia in August, 1899. Mr. Soppet is a member of the committee of the Huntly Presbyterian Church. He was married, in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. A. Nicoll, shipbuilder, at Onehunga, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. Abraham Dorricott, Underviewer of Ralph's Section of the Taupiri Coal Mines, was born in 1848 in Shropshire, England, and commenced to work as a coalminer when he was only ten years of age. He followed that employment until he left for New Zealand in the s.s. “Triumph,” in 1882. After he arrived in Auckland, he went to Hobsonville, where he was engaged in the local pottery for four years. He then worked for three years as a coalminer at Miranda, and settled at Tuakau, where he purchased a farm of 100 acres, on which he resided for several years, and which is still his home. Mr. Dorricott was appointed to his present position in May, 1898. He served for some time as a member of the Whangarata school committee. Mr. Dorricott was married, in 1869, to a daughter of the late Mr. T. Alder, of Shropshire, and has two sons and five daughters.
Mr. A. Turner, Underviewer at the Extended Mine, Huntly, was born at Rotherham, near Sheffield, England, in 1867. His father's family came to Auckland in the ship “Ben Nevis,” in 1879, and went farming at the Bay of Islands. In 1883 Mr. Turner was mining in New South Wales, and in the same year he returned to New Zealand, and settled at Huntly. Mr. Turner has been engaged in coal mining since 1878, and in September, 1898, he was appointed to his present position. His tastes are musical; he is a member of the local band, and plays the cornet in the orchestra. Mr. Turner was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr. J. H. Sampson, of Waihi, and has two sons and two daughters.
Harrison, Jonathan, J.P., M.E.F.G.S., Mine Manager, Huntly. Mr. Harrison was born at Eastwood, Nottingham, England. He belongs to a very old Nottingham family and received his training under his uncle, Mr. Robert Harrison, general manager and mining engineer of the firm of Barber, Walker and Co., of Eastwood, Nottingham. The output from this company's mines amounted to 20,000 tons per week. In 1863 Mr. Harrison went to Central India as manager and engineer for the celebrated Nerbudda Coal and Iron Company, whose mines he opened out. After his return to England he was again appointed mine manager under the firm of Barber, Walker and Co. In a few years he was offered a position as manager under the Wombwell Main Coal Company in Yorkshire, and was there until he was sent for to be manager and mining engineer for the Whitwick Colliery, Leicestershire. He was there over six years, when he decided, in November, 1879, to come to New Zealand by the “British Empire.” On his arrival in the Colony he went to the West Coast to take charge of the Brunner mine, but left in twelve months, much to the regret of the owner, to take charge of the Westport Wallsend mine, where he designed and superintended the erection of all the machinery and remained about six years. Mr. Harrison then took charge of the Cobden Dredging Gold Mining works and held one-fifth interest in the North Beach Gold Company. In 1890 he left goldmining as he had been appointed manager of the Taupiri Reserve Colliery Company, in whose service he remained for over seven years. After that he was asked to take the management of Ralph's Taupiri mine, Huntly, and remained in that position until the amalgamation of the mines took place in April, 1899. Mr. Harrison has written several essays on scientific subjects. As a geologist he has contributed valuable articles, and was a competitor for the Herman prize offered for the best article on “How to Prevent Explosions in Coal Mines.” In connection with this subject Mr. Harrison's contributions have always received favourable criticism.
Mr. J. Harrison.
Horwood, George Thomas, Butcher, Great South Road, Huntly. Mr. Horwood was born in 1870, at Hammersmith, England. He learned the business of a pork butcher, and came to Auckland in 1888 by the ship “Tainui.” After working in Auckland at his trade for three years, he engaged in farming for a year in the Nelson provincial district, but subsequently settled in Huntly. Mr. Horwood is a successful fowlfancier and breeder of white Leghorns, and also an importer of Pekin ducks. He was married, in 1896, to a daughter of Mr. R. Johnson, of Huntly, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs G. T. Horwood and Children.
Friar, Davies and Co., Storekeepers, Huntly. Head Office, Ngaruawahia. Mr. Matthew Friar, the managing partner of this firm, is a native of Ireland, and was born in 1860. After receiving his education, he gained considerable commercial experience with leading business houses in Ireland, and was traveller for Messrs. J. Little and Sons, of Belfast, on leaving whom in 1876, he came to New Zealand per ship “Dover Castle.” Mr. Friar was for some time in business at Kawakawa, eventually joining his present firm in 1877. He has taken no active part in local matters, devoting the whole of his attention to business. Mr. Friar is well known and very popular throughout the district.
Hubbard, Frank, Farmer, Huntly. Mr. Hubbard was born in Essex, England, in 1849. When he was five years of age he arrived in Lyttelton, with his parents, by the ship “Royal Stuart,” and was educated and brought up as a farmer in Canterbury. In 1883 Mr. Hubbard moved north, and settled in the Whangamarina district. Nine years later he purchased a property of 16,000 acres at Moarangi, where he was the first settler. At that time there were no roads in the district, and swamps had to be crossed to get to his land. As a Freemason, Mr. Hubbard is a Master of the Taupiri lodge. He was married, in 1870, to Miss Mair, of Edinburgh, but she died four years later, leaving two sons. Mr. Hubbard has represented the outlying districts on the Huntly Road Board since 1895. In October, 1875, Mr. Hubbard married a daughter of Mr. W. Lancaster, of Liverpool, and one son, since dead, was born of this union.