The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Pukerimu is a noted farming district, whence a great many fat bullocks are sent every year to supply the Auckland market. The splendid turnip fields on which the cattle are fattened are much admired by visitors. The New Zealand Dairy Association has a creamery at Pukerimu. The district, which is 100 miles from Auckland, lies between Pukekura and Ohaupo, and adjoins Monavale, which has but recently been subdivided for closer settlement. Pukerimu has a triweekly mail service.
The Pukerimu Public School is a wooden building with one class room and a porch. There is accommodation for fifty scholars, there are eighteen on the roll, and the average attendance is about fifteen. The schoolhouse has six rooms.
Miss Jessie F. P. Davis, who holds an E2 certificate, is the mistress in charge of the Pukerimu public school. She was born in Wellington, educated at private and public schools, and appointed to her present position in 1897.
The Pukerimu Creamery (New Zealand Dairy Association, proprietors) was established in 1892, and removed in 1900 to its present position on a portion of Mr. Greenslade's property. It is built of wood and iron, and contains a four horse-power stationary steam engine and two large Alexandra separators, each capable of treating 350 gallons per hour. In the year 1900–1901 there were eighteen suppliers, who sent in about 1150 gallons of milk per day.
Mr. Richard Josiah Graham, Manager of the Pukerimu Creamery, was born in 1876 at Monganui. He was educated at Chaupo, and became assistant at Ngaruawahia Dairy Factory in October, 1899. From February to May, 1900, he was in charge at Kihikihi, and became manager at Pukerimu on the 1st of August, 1900.
Mr. R. J. Graham.
Mr. J. Anderson.
Atkinson, William, Farmer, Pukerimu. Mr. Atkinson's farm consists of some 169 acres of first-class land and is worked for dairying purposes, with about twenty-five acres in crops, etc. He is a native of Yorkshire, where he was born in 1830, and brought up to farm life; went to Australia in 1857 and spent four years on the Bendigo diggings, then crossing to Otago, he was at the Shotover diggings for a considerable time. Mr. Atkinson went Home early in 1870, and having married there returned to New Zealand, and purchased fifty acres of land, on which the homestead now stands. Since that date he has added to his farm gradually, and now has a most comfortable and picturesque homestead. He has three sons and one daughter.
Freeman, Richard, Farmer, Pukerimu. Mr. Freeman was born near Retford, Nottinghamshire, England, in 1839, and is a carpenter and wheelwright by trade. He was employed for about twenty years in the Ashbury Railway Carriage and Iron Works where there is a staff of 2500 men. He entered as a workman, but was soon promoted to the position of foreman, and after fifteen years became manager, but resigned the position in two years on account of ill health. Mr. Freeman came to Auckland by the s.s. “Tongariro,” on her first trip, in 1883. He took a position in connection with the Auckland Tramway Company as foreman of rolling stock and engineer, and held it until he retired in 1894. Mr. Freeman was married, in 1864, to a daughter of the late Mr. T. Baylis, of Leeds. Mrs. Freeman died in 1873, leaving three sons, and Mr. Freeman contracted a second marriage in 1875 with a daughter of Mr. W. Ellaby, of Elton, Huntingdonshire, and sister of the Rev. J. Ellaby, Free Methodist minister of Hindley Green, Lancashire.
Mr. R. Freeman.
“Glengariff” (Mr. H. J. Greenslade, J.P.), Pukerimu. This fine property consists of 713 acres, and was purchased by Mr. Greenslade in April, 1900, from Mr. Lake, ex-M.H.R. for Waikato. Mr. greenslade has gone in extensively for dairy farming, and over 120 cows are milked on the estate. The Pukerimu Creamery, belonging to the New Zealand Dairy Association, has been erected at one corner of the estate. Mr. Greenslade's personal career is described in connection with the Thames, where he was mayor, and was long known as a journalist.
“Glenside,”, (Archibald Wallace, proprietor), Pukerimu. This property, which is a little over 200 acres in extent, is now farmed by Mr. William Wallace, son of the owner. It is situated in the centre of the Pukerimu district, and admitted to be one of the most fertile properties in the Waikato. Mr. Archibald Wallace now resides at Cambridge, and is referred to in connection with that town, and Mr. William Wallace is noticed in another article as senior lieutenant of No. 3 Company, Waikato Mounted Rifles.
Heather, Arthur Burgoyne, formerly of “Te Kainga,” Pukerimu, near Cambridge. Mr. Heather is a son of Mr. Arthur Heather, the well-known Auckland merchant, and was born in that city in 1869. He received his education at Christ's College, Canterbury, and after returning to Auckland, entered into business as an ironmonger. Mr. Heather was for some considerable time in his father's warehouse, but turning his attention to farming, he purchased a property of 340 acres in 1891, and devoted all his time to its improvement. He afterwards sold his land, and visited South Africa.
Jones, Alexander Owen, Farmer, “Te Kainga,” Pukerimu. Mr. Jones was born in Remuera, in 1855, and was educated in Auckland and at Papatoitoi. He was brought up to a country life, and was for thirteen months manager of the Newstead Dairy Factory. For a number of years he worked for Messrs F. Andrews and Son at Papatoitoi, and afterwards settled at Ararimu South, where he was engaged in bush-farming for ten years. During part of that time he was secretary of the local school committee and clerk and collector of the road board. In 1889 he removed to the Waikato and had a farm in Pukerimu, but he subsequently sold it and purchased his present property. Mr Jones has served as a member of the Ohaupo school committee since 1892. He was married, in 1877, to a daughter of Mr. D. Brisbane, of Ararimu. This lady died in 1887, leaving four daughters and one son. Mr. Jones contracted a second marriage in 1893 with a daughter of Mr. H. Hughes, of Pukerimu, and three sons have been born of this union.
Mr. William Sturgess is an old Waikato settler, and was born in Bedfordshire, in England, in 1841, and brought up to a country life. He arrived in Auckland by the ship “Egmont” in 1860, and during the Maori disturbances he served with the military in the Waikato, and took part in several engagements. Mr. Sturgess has a farm of 450 acres at Pukerimu.