The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Cambridge is on the Waikato river at its navigable termination. It is one of the most picturesquely situated country towns in New Zealand, with wide, clean, well-formed streets, and well cultivated lands around it. There is an extensive stretch of agricultural country of the best quality in the district, and the farms and runs exhibit every evidence of substantial success. Cambridge is 101 miles from Auckland by rail. It saw some exciting times during the Waikato war, when it was an important military outpost. The town is the natural centre for the fertile districts of Hautapu and Tamahere and Fencourt, on the one hand, and Karapiro and Taotaoroa, on the other, and also for Pukerimu and Pukekura. It stands on an elevated plateau lying between the Waikato river, Lake Te Koutou, and the Karapiro stream, and medical men frequently recommend their patients to visit the town on account of its dry and bracing climate. The natural drainage is perfect, and the roads, being metalled with fine gravel, are never muddy. In the early days of settlement Cambridge was the terminus of the river steamers, which plied regularly to and from the township of Mercer, then known as Point Russell. According to the census of April, 1901, the population of the borough was 988. The local industries include a flourmill, a brewery, and a cheese factory.
The Borough Of Cambridge has a population of about 1000, with 250 ratepayers. There are 688 ratable properties, on which a general rate of one shilling is levied, the ratable value of property being set down at about £7200. The total revenue of the council is about £600, £30 of which is derived from the rental of two saleyards owned by the Corporation and situated within the borough. The ratepayers have authorised a loan of £6000 for the purpose of bringing in a water supply, which is to be obtained from the Maungakawa Range, about five miles distant from the borough. It is expected that the borough will be lighted by acetylene gas, unless advantage is taken of some of the water power in the district for the generation of electric light. The Borough Council offices, in Victoria and Lake Streets, opposite the Jubilee Gardens, were destroyed by fire on the 23rd of July, 1900, and the new office is situated near the Post Office in Victoria Street. The town has a fine public hall, owned by the Borough Council, which controls the cemetery, which contains an area of twenty acres, at Hautapu. The members of the Council for 1901 were: Mr. W. F. Buckland, mayor, and Messrs C. W. Arnold, C. Boyce, R. Davies, J. Ferguson, W. Escott, C. Roberts, G. E. Clark, T. Wells, and J. R. S. Richardson.
His Worship The Mayor,Mr. W. F. Buckland, is a solicitor by profession. He has for many years taken an exceptionally active and intelligent interest in public affairs, and represented Franklin North in 1884–87, and Manukau in the Parliament of 1890–93. The 1892 session of that Parliament was a particularly active one, and Mr. Buckland was one of the most insistent and trenchant critics on the Opposition side of the House. In fact, he made the session memorable in a way quite unusual within the precincts of a serious legislative assembly by introducing, with the full though unwitting cognisance of the Speaker, one of the cleverest and most curious political satires ever published—namely the Washers and Manglers' Bill. By means of this measure, Mr. Buckland, as a party politician, contrived to ridicule the new legislation to which he was opposed, by satirically proposing that “soiled linen of all varieties, articles of apparel, and the various household utilities that are capable of renovation, improvement, and restoration by the application of hot or cold water in conjunction with soap or other like ingredient, accompanied by a violent and continued rubbing between the hands, or in some equivalent artificial piece of machinery,” should be treated only by licensed washer-women and manglers, subject to the authority or supervision of the Minister of Public Works, Minister of Labour, Auditor-General, and an army of inspectors, etc. The jeu d'esprit attracted notice far beyond the colony, and Mr. Buckland's fellow townsmen in Cambridge do not find that he is a bit less practical, enlightened, and energetic as a local administrator, for having played the part of the most satirical wag that ever sat in Parliament.
Councillor Charles William Arnold, who has been a Member of the Cambridge Borough Council since 1892, was born in Cambridge in 1866. He was brought up to the trade of a butcher by his father, Mr. J. Arnold, and took over the business on his own account in 1891. As an Oddfellow Mr. Arnold is a member of the Loyal Cambridge District Lodge, Manchester Unity, in which he has for some time held the office of treasurer. He is a member of the Cambridge Athletic Club, and was for a number of years its secretary. Mr. Arnold was married, in 1892, to the daughter of the late Mr. Bach, and sister of Mr. A. Bach, formerly a mayor of the borough, and has two sons and one daughter.
Councillor C. W. Arnold.
Councillor George Edward Clark, a Member of the Cambridge Borough Council, is referred to on another page as one of the business men of Cambridge.
Councillor Richard Davies , Member of the Cambridge Borough Council, was born in Shropshire, England, in 1845, and learned the saddlery trade at Munslow. After completing his time, he embarked in business for himself, and had a large saddlery and harness shop in that place for some ten years, when he sold out to come to the Colonies. He arrived in New Zealand per s.s. “British Queen” in 1883 and settled in Cambridge where he worked at his trade as a journeyman. In 1885 he began business on his own account, and has built up a large connection. He gives employment to several hands, carries a large and assorted stock of saddlery, harness, whips, spurs, etc., and page 767 does the leading business in his line in the district. Mr. Davies has been a member of the Cambridge Borough Council since 1893.
Councillor R. Davies.
Councillor William Escott, who served five years prior to 1898 as a member of the Cambridge Borough Council, and who was again elected in 1901, was born in England. He came out to New Zealand in 1883, and has been in business as a storekeeper in Victoria Street, Cambridge, since 1892.
Councillor John Ferguson, who is a Member of the Cambridge Borough Council, is noticed on another page as a coachbuilder and wheelwright.
Councillor John Ramsay Stewart Richardson, who is a Member of the Cambridge Borough Council, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1846. He was educated at Trinity College, Glen Almond, and engaged in mercantile life before coming to the colonies in 1879, when he settled at Cambridge, where he has a farm of 600 acres. Mr. Richardson is captain of one of the local volunteer corps.
Councillor Thomas Wells, J.P., who holds a seat on the Cambridge Borough Council, is referred to in other articles as chairman of the Cambridge Domain Board, and as a merchant.
Mr. Thomas Hartly, Town Clerk and Clerk of the Domain Board, Cambridge, came to this Colony in 1885 and entered into business in Cambridge as a general commission agent. He was appointed to his present position in 1892, and is land valuator for the Government, and a press correspondent. Mr. Hartly is a native of Birmingham where he was brought up and employed in mercantile occupations. He left Home for Australia in 1880 and afterwards came to New Zealand.
Mr. Arthur Bach, formerly Mayor of Cambridge, but now (1901) manager of the Palace Hotel. Rotorua, was born at Munslow, Shropshire, in 1855. He came to New Zealand in 1878, and after residing in Auckland a few weeks went to Cambridge, and was employed in the Criterion Hotel until 1882, when he went to Hamilton and took over the Royal Hotel, carrying it on for four years. Mr. Bach was a member of the Hamilton Borough Council for two years and on the school committee for a like period. In 1886, he returned to Cambridge and took the Criterion Hotel, conducting it until 1889, when he took possession of the National Hotel Mr. Bach was secretary of the Waikato Hunt Club, and was for six years on the school committee. He was a member of the Cambridge Borough Council for many years, and was first elected mayor in November, 1895. Mr. Bach was a member of the Beta Lodge, Hamilton, and worshipful master of Alpha Lodge, N.Z.C., Cambridge. As an Oddfellow of Loyal Duke of Cambridge lodge he is past grand master. Mr. Bach was a member of the Cambridge Athletic Club for many years, and also its secretary and treasurer.
Mr. A. Bach.
Mr. James Hally, who served for about eight years as a Member of the Cambridge Borough Council, and was Mayor of the borough in 1888, is a well known settler in the Waikato. He is a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court, and was admitted in 1887, under Sir George Grey's Act.
Mr. Henry Kerr, formerly a member of the Cambridge Borough Council, was born at Howick, near Auckland, in 1856, and after leaving school at the age of thirteen years, was employed in agricultural pursuits. In 1874, he moved to the Waikato district and for several years worked as a farmer for Messrs. McLean and Co., of “Fencourt,” after which he took up his residence in Cambridge and for fully thirteen years was employed in driving the coach between Hamilton, Cambridge, and Rotorua for Mr. W. K. Carter. He next became proprietor of the Masonic Hotel, and carried it on successfully three and a half years. In 1894, he took over the “Criterion,” which he afterwards left. Mr. Kerr was a popular landlord.
Mr. H. Kerr.
Mr. and Mrs J. K. Peirce.
Mr. John Robertson, who served as a Member of the Cambridge Borough Council for some time, was born in 1826 in Stepney, London, and is a baker by trade. In 1852 he arrived in Victoria, and two years later came to Auckland, where he established himself in business in Wakefield Street. In 1857 he went to the Victorian gold diggings, and returned to New Zealand in 1864 to follow the goldfields in Otago. He was afterwards in business in Auckland, and at Coromandel, whence he went in 1880 to Cambridge, where he was in business as a baker till 1899.
Mr. James Young, who served for three years as a Member of the Cambridge Borough Council, and was elected a member of the local school committee in 1900, was born in Belfast, Ireland, where he was apprenticed to his trade as blacksmith and wheelwright and arrived in Auckland in 1859 by the ship “Northern Bride.” He commenced business on his own account in 1863, but had to abandon it and serve in the Militia. Soon after the opening of the Thames goldfields in 1867, Mr. Young went there and was for eight years engaged in mining. He then went to Matamata, and was employed for two years on the estate in connection with his trade. In 1877 he removed to Cambridge, and commenced business with a partner under the style of Young and Nixon, and as Mr. Nixon subsequently retired, he has carried on the business for a number of years on his own account.
The Domain at Cambridge lies in a deep hollow or depression, with a pretty lake in the centre. The slopes and borders of the lake have been beautifully cultivated and laid out in walks and flower-beds, and planted with fine shrubberies of ornamental trees, and the gardens are amongst the finest of their kind in the colony. They contain a bowling green, a croquet lawn, and an asphalt tennis court. The domain is managed by a Board, partly appointed by the Government, and the members for 1901 were Mr. T. Wells, J.P., chairman, and Messrs E. Hewitt and J. Fisher; and the Mayor of Cambridge and the chairman of the Pukekura Road Board, who are members ex officio.
Mr. Thomas Wells, J.P., Chairman of the Cambridge Domain Board, has always taken a leading part in public affairs. In early life he served in the Royal Navy and came to New Zealand in 1860 in H.M.S. “Harrier,” and served in the naval brigade until the close of the Waikato war. He was one of the storming party at the attack on Raugiriri, where he was wounded. He went back to England in 1865, but the same year returned to the Colony and entered into mercantile pursuits. From 1868 to 1874 he was on the Thames goldfields and largely interested in mining, and later had a timber mill and store at Mercer. Coming to Cambridge in 1878, Mr. Wells erected large and handsome premises, where he has since carried on one of the most extensive businesses in the district. He was one of the originators of the Waikato Horticultural Society and of the Cambridge Chrysanthemum Society, of which he is president. He has for many years been a member of the school committee, a trustee of the public library, and a prominent member of the Waikato Farmers' Club. As member and chairman of the old town board he took a leading part in grading, draining, and planting the principal streets and forming the present broad footpaths. He, however, will be longest remembered in his connection with the domain, of which the citizens are very proud Twenty years ago, it was a wilderness of swamp, briars, and gorse; now it is, in the words of Lord Glasgow, “one of the prettiest domains in the Colony.” Its present condition is mainly due to Mr. Wells' taste ability, and labour, to which fact his colleagues have always borne public witness. Mr. Wells' other special work was the part he took in the erection of the Anglican church. He has rendered invaluable assistance to the vicar and parish for the past twenty years as churchwarden, treasurer, and member of the diocesan synod, and has been also several times a member of the general synod. Mr. Wells has been on the Commission of the Peace since 1880.
Mb. T. Wells.
The Cambridge Road Board has jurisdiction over the district embraced in the parish of Hautapu and a small portion of the parish of Tamahere. The rate varies from £1/4d to £3/4d in the £.
Mr. James Taylor, who has for many years been Chairman of the Cambridge Road Board, was born at West Tamaki in 1856, and was educated at St. John's College and at Mr. McRae's High School. He is the second son of the late Mr. W. I. Taylor, was brought up to country pursuits, and after being for a short time in the Bank of New Zealand, he settled in Cambridge in 1875. Mr. Taylor resides on his Cambridge estate, known as “Bardowie,” which consists of 750 acres of freehold. Mr. Taylor also farms a freehold property of 1700 acres, known as “Te Miro,” at the foot of the Maungawaka Hills, and a large leasehold property of 7500 acres at Piako, known as “Te Au-o-Waikato.” He is well known as an extensive breeder of horses, cattle, and sheep. Mr. Taylor is a member of the general committee of the Waikato Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and has taken many prizes for his exhibits. Mr. Taylor served in the volunteers as a member of the Te Awamutu troop. He was married, in 1881, to a daughter of the late Rev. John Whewell, of Auckland, and has two sons and five daughters.
No. 3 Waikato Mounted Rifles was established some years ago, and in 1900 consisted of about eighty members, including officers; namely, Captain J. R. S. Richardson and Lieutenants W. Wallace and C. C. Buckland. Captain Richardson is referred to in another article as a member of the Cambridge Borough Council.
Lieutenant William Wallace, who is the Senior Lieutenant of No. 3 Company, Waikato Mounted Rifles, is a son of Mr. Archibald Wallace, and was born near Otahuhu in 1868. He was brought up to page 769 agriculture on his father's farm, “Glenside,” Pukerimu, which he now works on his own account.
The Cambridge Post And Telegraph Office was established in the early sixties, and the building, which is situated in Victoria Street, has been enlarged from time to time. It includes a postal and operating room, the postmaster's residence of six rooms, and there are thirty private boxes There is a sub-office at Cambridge West.
Mr. Henry Jeffries, Postmaster at Cambridge, was born in Norfolk, England, in 1848. He came to Nelson in 1863 by the ship “Magnum Bonum,” joined the staff of the post office at Blenheim in 1872, was removed fifteen months later to Waipu where he continued for six years, and was afterwards successively at Port Albert, Kihikihi, Mercer, Helensville, and Kawakawa. Mr. Jeffries was appointed to Cambridge in February, 1900.
The Cambridge Railway Station is the terminus of the Rurakura Junction, Cambridge branch. It has a public vestibule, ticket office, ladies' waiting room, lamp room, luggage room, large public waiting room and offices. There are also goods and engine sheds. The traffic is chiefly in farm produce, and there is only one train in and one train out daily.
Mr. Thomas Francis Roskruge, Stationmaster in charge at Cambridge, was born in Cornwall, England, in 1833. He arrived in Victoria in 1852, and engaged in quartz mining for seven years. After that he returned to England and came out to Otago in 1862 and became a general storekeeper at Tokomairiro. Four years later he was appointed mine manager of the Scandinavian Company at Skippers. He entered the Government service in 1879, at Invercargill, and was successively in charge at Kingston, Otautau and Thornbury, prior to his appointment to Cambridge, in 1894.
The Cambridge Public School, which was established in the sixties has accommodation for 280 pupils, of whom there are 250 on the roll, with an average attendance of 192. The headmaster is assisted by two certificated and two pupil teachers.
Mr. Robert Coates Dyer, Headmaster of the Cambridge Public School, holds a D1 certificate. He was born in India and was educated at Cheltenham College, England. In 1853 he came to Auckland by the ship “Joseph Fletcher,” and was farming in the Mahurangi district for about seventeen years. In 1880 he entered the service of the Auckland Board of Education, and has been in charge at Cambridge since 1889.
The Venerable Archdeacon William Newcombe De Laval Willis, Vicar of St. Andrew's Cambridge, and Archdeacon of Waikato, is a member of a clerical family, his grandfather, his father, and five uncles all being clergymen of the Church of England. He was born in Limerick, Ireland, in 1846, and was educated by his father. After leaving home he spent two years in London in the service of the Great Northern Railway Company. He came to New Zealand in 1866, and in 1872 began to prepare for ordination. After studying for three years at St. John's College, Auckland, he was ordained by the present primate. Bishop Cowie. His first appointment was that of assistant minister of the parish of the Holy Sepulchre, Auckland, in which he remained for three years. He was appointed first resident minister of the Cambridge parochial district in January, 1878, and was instrumental in building the handsome new church in Cambridge, and also churches at Ohaupo and Tamahere, within the first five years of his residence. He was made Archdeacon of Waikato in 1882.
Trinity Presbyterian Church, Cambridge, was erected in 1877 and the Rev. William Evans became pastor. Under his care the congregation made steady progress until 1896, when he retired from active duty and accepted the position of pastor emeritus. Mr. Evans was succeeded by the Rev. Thomas Scott, M.A., who resigned in 1899 owing to ill-health. Some time ago a larger church was built to meet the requirements of the congregation, which is now (1901) ministered to by the Rev. John Erwin.
The Rev. John Erwin, B.A., Minister of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Cambridge, was born in Belfast, Ireland. He was educated at Queen's College, Belfast, and at the Royal University of Ireland, where he graduated. Mr. Erwin was ordained in Ireland in 1899, and appointed to his present charge on the 20th of December in the same year.
The Rev. W. Evans, a retired Presbyterian Minister, was born in 1817, in Pembroke, Wales, and was ordained to the ministry in 1840. He was called to Chester, and was for twenty-five years pastor of City Road Presbyterian Church. For five years he was appointed to officiate at Hoylake, a watering place near Liverpool, where he raised a new church and large congregation. In 1877 he came to Auckland, and was called to the pastorate of Trinity Church, Cambridge, from which he retired in 1896.
The Wesleyan Church in Cambridge stands on a section of three acres of land fronting Queen Street, and Wesleyanism has been represented in the Waikato since the early sixties. There is accommodation in the building for 200 worshippers, and the Sunday School is held in a large vestry behind the church. A gymnasium, erected on the property, has proved very beneficial to the young people. The parsonage, which is an eight roomed building, adjoins the church. The minister in charge at Cambridge conducts services at Pukerimu, Cambridge West, and Ohaupo. There is a small church at Pukerimu and Cambridge West, and the services at Ohaupo are conducted in the Presbyterian Church.
The Rev. Samuel John Gibson is the Minister in charge of the Cambridge Circuit, to which he was appointed by the Conference of 1900. He was born at Woollongong, New South Wales, in 1859, and was educated there and at Stanmore College, Sydney. After three years' probationery work in New South Wales, he was ordained in 1884, when he went to Fiji as a missionary and spent six years in the Islands. In 1899 he was transferred to Hokitika, and thence to Gisborne and Greytown. From Greytown, where he remained three years, he went, in 1896, to Mangawhare, in the county of Hobson, Auckland, where his circuit covered an area of about thirty-five miles. Mr. Gibson was a leader of the temperance movement in the district, president of the mutual improvement society and editor of the local edition of the “Home Messenger,” a British monthly magazine, which circulates in the north of New Zealand. He is married to a daughter of Mr. W. Brown, of Newcastle, New outh Wales, and has one son and two daughters.
Rev. S. J. Gibson.
The Salvation Army has been represented in Cambridge since 1889. The Oddfellows' Hall in Duke Street is used as a barracks, and there is seating accommodation for 200 persons. There are thirty-five soldiers in the Cambridge corps, which is under the control of Ensign Isaac Lomas.
The Waikato Farmers' Club was established in 1889 and holds monthly meetings for the discussion of matters of interest to farmers. The Club holds an annual Station Parade and a Root and Produce Show. Its offices are at Cambridge, and Mr. Martin Butler is secretary and treasurer.
Mr. Martin Butler, Secretary and Treasurer of the Waikato Agricultural and page 771 Pastoral Association, also of the Waikato Farmers' Club, was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1864, and after receiving a good education, entered the service of a large mercantile firm in Bristol, remaining with it about five years. He came out to New Zealand in the ship “Sydenham,” in 1881, remaining only a few months in Auckland, when he removed to Cambridge, and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He has now a nice farm of one hundred acres, and gives his attention principally to the raising of cattle and sheep. Mr. Butler was clerk for some time to the North New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association, and nine years with Mr. G. J. Neal, seedsman. He has filled the position of secretary and treasurer of the Waikato Agricultural and Pastoral Association, since its establishment in 1892, and has also, since 1890, been secretary and treasurer of the Waikato Farmers' Club.
The Cambridge Orchestral Society is a popular institution, and is under the management of Mr. M. McDermott, as secretary, and Mr. J. H. Edwards, as conductor.
Mr. John Henry Edwards, Conductor of the Cambridge Orchestral Society, was born in Oxford, England, in 1860. He landed in Auckland from the ship “Famenoth” in 1883, and settled in Hamilton in 1896, as sub-editor of the “Waikato Times.” Mr. Edwards afterwards removed to Cambridge, where he now has a stationery business.
The Cambridge Public Library, which was established about 1870, contains the librarian's office, public library, and free reading room. In 1900 there were 2753 volumes of which about 2500 were in good order. The library is maintained by public subscription and by Government subsidy. Committee for 1900; Messrs G. Dickenson (chairman), R. C. Dyer, J. Hally, C. Boyce, and W. G. Collins.
Mr. George Dickenson, Chairman of the Cambridge Public Library Committee, was born in Auckland in 1858. He was for twenty years a traveller, and was afterwards in business as a bookseller, and was afterward in business as a bookseller in Cambridge and Hamilton. Mr. Dickenson was previously chairman of the library committee, during the years 1894–96.
Major Charles Goring Minnitt, Librarian of the Cambridge Library, was born in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1836. He joined the Militia Regiment as ensign in 1855, afterwards served in the 3rd Lancashire Militia, and joined the 18th Royal Irish in April, 1858, as an ensign. In 1860 he became lieutenant, in 1873, captain, and brevet-major on his retirement in 1878. Major Minnitt served with his regiment in New Zealand from July, 1863, to February, 1870. He subsequently served for five years in the Armed Constabulary. For eight years afterwards he was engaged in coal mining at Huntly, where he was incapacitated by an accident in 1892. He has held his present position since December, 1899.
The Cambridge Police Station is situated at the lower end of Victoria Street and consists of a comfortable cottage, with a lock-up cell behind. It is within the Hamilton sub-police district.
Mr. Alexander McGilp, Constable-in-Charge at Cambridge, was born in Scotland in 1855, and spent several years at shepherding, and was afterwards employed in a bonded store in Glasgow for nearly five years. In 1876, Mr. McGilp came to New Zealand per ship “Orari” and the day after landing joined the police force, doing duty in Auckland city till 1881, when he was transferred to Russell, at which station he remained eleven years, when he was removed to Rawene to succeed the local constable who was drowned in the harbour. From Rawene he was transferred to Cambridge. For over twenty years, Mr. McGilp has been associated with the Oddfellows; he is also an ardent admirer of Robert Burns, and is thoroughly conversant with the works of Scotland's favourite poet.
Cave, Charles White, Barrister and Solicitor, Victoria Street, Cambridge. Mr. Cave was born in Surrey, England, in 1842, and was educated at Totteridge, Herts, England. Having studied for the law, he was admitted in England, and commenced practice as a solicitor in 1863. He practised his profession in the Home and Midland Counties till 1880, when he emigrated to New Zealand with his family, arriving in Wellington by the ship “Rakaia.” Joining Mr. W. L. Travers, he was a member of the firm of Travers and Cave for two years. In 1883 he removed to Auckland and joined the Hon. J. A. Tole under the style to Tole and Cave. About four years later he retired from the firm and practised on his own account in Auckland until he removed to Cambridge in 1899. Mr. Cave was married, in 1865, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Reynolds, of Highgate, London, and has three sons and seven daughters.
Poole, Robert Shand, Surgeon Dentist, Duke Street, Cambridge. Mr. Poole was born in Edinburgh, in 1838, and was educated in Aberdeen. He is the son of an Edinburgh physician, and served an apprenticeship to Dr. Dewar, of Aberdeen, and qualified as a dentist in 1878, after which he practised for several years at Montrose. In 1894 Mr. Poole settled at Cambridge, and has since then practised his profession in the Waikato. He is a member of the Dental College of Great Britain. Mr. Poole is a nephew of Dr. Words worth Poole, physician to the British Legation at Pekin, and also of Captain F. G. Poole, an officer in one of the relieving forces which went to Pekin in 1900. He was married, in 1861, to a daughter of Mr. T. Woolfield, of Auckland. Mrs Poole died in 1896, in the Old Country.
Mr. R. S. Poole.
Little, Walter, Chemist and Druggist, Duke Street, Cambridge. This business was established about 1880 by Mr. Tennent, of Waitekauri, and has been conducted by the present proprietor since 1898.
The Bank Of New Zealand at Cambridge was established in 1875. It is a two storey building with twelve rooms altogether, and contains the manager's private residence as well as the banking office. The bank serves a large agricultural district, extending from Cambridge to Rotorua, and including Lichfield and Matamata. The manager is assisted by two officers.
Mr. Frank Jefcoate Brooks, Manager of the Bank of New Zealand at Cambridge, was born in Kent, England, in 1846. He arrived in Auckland by the ship “Victory” in January, 1865, and joined the staff of the bank in 1868. Mr. Brooks was appointed manager at Cambridge in October, 1875.
Clark, George Edwards, Commission Agent, Cambridge. Mr. Clark came to New Zealand in 1864 in the ship “Jumua” with the intention of farming, but not securing the land he desired he embarked in mercantile pursuits at Auckland. In 1867, he moved to the Waikato district, purchasing about 300 acres of land near Cambridge, and engaged in agricultural pursuits in which he was very successful until 1894, when he disposed of his property and went into business as a commission agent, doing extensive trade in farm products. Mr. Clark was born in Cambridgeshire, England, in 1840, and comes from a good old yeoman stock. He was trained on his father's farm, and previous to leaving home had managed it for five years. He has always taken an active interest in agricultural matters, and was the organiser of the Waikato Farmers' Club, of which he was chairman for the first two years and has always been an active member of the association. He was a member of the Waikato County Council for six years, of the Cambridge district Road Board of several years, and is an active member of the Waikato Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Clark is also a member of the Cambridge Borough Council.
McNicol and Co., Stock and Station Auctioneers, Cambridge; head office. Hamilton. The Cambridge branch of this well known firm is under the management of Mr. G. F. McCullagh, who also acts as auctioneer for the firm throughout the Waikato.
Mr. George Fenton McCullagh, Auctioneer for Messrs McNicol and Co., was born in County Leitrim, Ireland, in 1860. He was brought up to country pursuits, came to Auckland in 1879, and settled in the Waikato district, where he found employment during the first three years at the celebrated Piako swamp. After a trip to Sydney, Port Darwin, and Kimberley, extending altogether for over three years, Mr. McCullagh returned to New Zealand, and afterwards paid a visit to his native land. Mr. McCullagh met Mr. McNicol in 1879, and ever afterwards regarded him as a friend. He has been associated with the firm since Mr. McNicol commenced business, and has acted as auctioneer for a number of years.
Saulbrey, Thomas Lewis, Baker and Confectioner, Cambridge Bakery, Duke Street, Cambridge. Private residence, Alpha Street. This business was established in 1892. Mr. Saulbrey was born in 1865 in London, where he was educated and apprenticed to his trade. In 1887 he arrived in Auckland by the s.s. “Kaikoura,” and commenced business on his own account at Ngaruawahia. Five years later he removed to Cambridge. His premises in Duke Street are erected on freehold land and contain a shop and bakehouse. As an Oddfellow Mr. Saulbrey is attached to the Loyal Duke of Cambridge Lodge, in which he has passed all the chairs, and held office as V.G. in 1900. Mr. Saulbrey was married, in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. T. Dalton, of Pukekohe, and has two daughters and one son.
Ferguson, John, Coachbuilder, Wheelwright, etc., Cambridge. Mr. Ferguson was born in Glasgow in 1846, and there he learned the trade of carpenter. In 1864, he came out to New Zealand per ship “Helenslea,” and resided near Pokeno with his father. On coming of age he went to Napier where he was employed as a builder. Then he was for a time at Thames and subsequently went to America and learned the trade of coach building in California. In 1873, he returned to New Zealand and was for a time engaged in agricultural pursuits in the Waikato district, where he also did good work in house-building. Mr. Ferguson entered business as a coachbuilder, etc., in Cambridge in 1883, and built up a large and extensive trade. He also has a coal and wood-yard. He is agent for Cousins and Atkin, the well known coach builders of Auckland, and the Standard Insurance Company. Mr. Ferguson's three sons are now in the business. The eldest, Hugh, has charge of the coach-painting department, and Herbert and Robin assist in the blacksmithing and wood shops.
Mr. J. Ferguson.
Walker, Thomas, Wheelwright, Chapel Street, Cambridge. Mr. Walker was born in 1873 in Pukekohe, where he was brought up. He learned his trade in Auckland, and after completing his apprenticeship, worked for six years as a journeyman. In 1892 he came to Cambridge, and after being employed by Mr. Ferguson for three years, went into business on his own account. He was married, in 1894, to a daughter of Mr. J. Bell, of Cambridge, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. T. Walker.
Hally, George Jacque, Cordial and Aerated Water Manufacturer, and Fruit Evaporator, Brewery Street, Cambridge. Private residence, Alpha Street. Mr. Hally was born in 1837 at Auchterarder, Perthshire, Scotland. His father was a woollen manufacturer, and Mr. Hally gained experience of wool sorting in connection with that business. In 1862 he landed in Auckland by the ship “Hanover,” and was drafted into the Auckland Militia and served with his corps through the Waikato campaign. Subsequently he purchased 100 acres of land between Taupiri and Rangiriri, where he resided for about two years. In 1868 he removed to the Thames, where he had two years' experience in goldmining. He returned to the Waikato in 1870, and settled in Cambridge, where he built the brewery which he worked for a number of years in conjunction with his two brothers. Since 1895 Mr. Hally has carried on business as a cordial manufacturer and fruit evaporator. He was married, in 1887, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Fleming, of Clonmell, county Tipperary, Ireland, and widow of the late Mr. H. M. D. Pearson. Mrs Hally had three sons and two daughters.
Mr. And Mrs. G. J. Hally.
Craig, Charles, Tailor, Duke Street, Cambridge. Mr. Craig, who was born at Coolaney, County Sligo, Ireland, in 1858, was educated and apprenticed in his native place. He arrived in Port Chalmers by the ship “Napier,” in 1879, and was one of the Parihaka expedition under the Hon. J. Bryce. After being a year—1881–2—in the Armed Constabulary, he established his present business in Cambridge. Mr. Craig was for some time a member of the licensing bench in Cambridge, and served on the local school committee. He was married, in 1882, to a daughter of the late Mr. A. Smart, of Dunedin, and has three sons and four daughters.
Mr. And Mrs. C. Craig.
Riley, William, Tailor, Victoria Street, Cambridge; private residence, River View Cottage. Mr. Riley entered business on his own account in 1874. His shop in Victoria Street is erected on his own freehold, and also his nine-roomed residence. Mr. Riley was born at Uiverston, Lancashire, England, in 1830, and learned his trade in Liverpool. He joined the 99th Regiment, and came out to Tasmania, in 1851. Five years later he volunteered to join the 65th Regiment in New Zealand, where he served till July, 1863. After taking his discharge, he commenced to work at his trade with Mr. Possenniskie, and afterwards with Mr. Langford, in Auckland. In 1874 he removed to Cambridge to take charge of the tailoring department of Messrs H. and J. P. Campbell's establishment, and shortly afterwards set up his present business. Mr. Riley was for a number of years connected page 774 with the Order of the Good Templars, and held the office of District Deputy. He was married, in 1863, to a daughter of Mr. Matheron, late of Canada, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. W. Riley.
Masonic Hotel (Victor Cornaga), Duke Street, Cambridge. This hotel is one of the oldest in the Waikato, and dates from the sixties. It is a two storey building, and contains twenty bedrooms, six sitting rooms and a large dining room capable of seating about sixty guests. There is a billiard room adjoining in separate building, and there is also a good stable with eight stalls and four loose boxes.
Mr. Victor Cornaga, the Proprietor, is a native of Malta, where he was born in 1857. He came to New Zealand in 1881, and had the Britomart Hotel in Auckland for seven years. In February, 1900, he purchased the freehold of the Masonic Hotel. Mr. Cornaga was married, in 1886, to a daughter of Mr. T. Ryan, of Archbill, Auckland, and has four sons.
Bell, Henry, Horseshoer and General Blacksmith, Victoria Street, Cambridge; private residence, Duke Street. Mr. Bell was born in 1864 at Woodend, Canterbury. He was apprenticed to Mr. T. Gemmill, of Cambridge, by whom he was employed for twenty-one years, and established a business on his own account in August, 1900. Mr. Bell owns the shop in Victoria Street, and also his six-roomed private freehold residence in Duke Street. He is a member of the local Oddfellows' Lodge, in which he is Past Grand. Mr. Bell was married, in 1888, to a daughter of Mr. J. A. Hjorth, master mariner, Cambridge, and has two daughters and one son.
Mr. And Mrs H. Bell.
Gemmill, Thomas, Blacksmith, Cambridge. Mr. Gemmill was born at Fenwick, Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1838. After learning the trade of a blacksmith, he came to New Zealand per s.s. “Lord Ashley” in 1857, and entered the employ of Mr. James Wallace, blacksmith, at Otahuhu, with whom he remained about nine years. he then took a trip to the Old Country, being absent about a year, and on returning to the Colony was for a time in Dunedin, again at Otahuhu for twelve months, and finally settled in Cambridge in 1866, where he established his present business, which is the oldest in his line in the district. He is assisted by his son, Mr. John Gemmill. For a time he maintained branch shops at Oxford and Waotu, but these he recently sold. During the Maori war, Mr. Gemmill served for two years in the militia and was also for a time in the Cambridge cavalry.
Wells, Thomas, Merchant, Cambridge. The large business conducted by Mr. Wells was established in 1866 by Mr. W. Johns. It was afterwards purchased by Mr. James Hally, who sold out to Messrs Tuck and Steward, who in turn re-sold to Mr. Hally, from whom Mr. Wells purchased the business in 1878. The large premises occupied by Mr. Wells have a total floor space of about 6000 square feet, and are erected on a freehold section in Duke Street. They are splendidly fitted up, and the departments, which are well arranged, include ironmongery and furniture, drapery with clothing, boots and shoes, and grocery, with crockery and produce. Mr. Wells conducts an extensive wholesale business throughout the country, and acts as agent for the Colonial Mutual and South British Insurance offices. He is referred to in another article as chairman of the Cambridge Domain Board.
Mr. G. J. Neal.
Sharp, John, Nurseryman and Florist, Cambridge. Mr. Sharp's very fine farm and nursery consists of about fifty acres, planted with the best and most popular varieties of fruit trees and plants. Mr. Sharp imports the greater part of his stock direct from America and Great Britain, and the nursery has been for the past twenty-five years under cultivation. He was born in Glasgow in 1837, and worked with his father (who was also a nurseryman) till he attained his majority. In 1863 he came to Auckland per ship “Harwood,” and after some experience at farming, established himself on his present property.
Mr. J. Sharp.
Popple, Frederick, Storekeeper, Phoenix Store, Cambridge. Mr. Popple was born in Nottingham, England, in 1853, and came to Auckland by the ship “Flying Foam,” in 1864. Until 1879 he resided in Coromandel where he gained a general business experience in the local stores. In that year he settled at Ngaruawahia, where he continued for two years, and then went to Cambridge, where he was employed for six years and a half in Mr. Merrick's store. His present business at Cambridge was established by him in 1888. Mr. Popple was married, in 1881, to a daughter of Mr. R. Hogg, of Ngaruawahia, and has six sons and three daughters.
Mr. and Mrs F. Popple.
Souter, W. and Co. (Joseph William Souter and Edwin Neville Souter), Grain and Timber Merchants, Duke Street, Cambridge. This firm was established by the late Captain W. Souter, at the Thames, about 1860, and was removed to Cambridge in 1882.
Davys And Son (Henry John Davys and Henry Edwin Davys), Timber Merchants and Boardinghouse Proprietors, Cambridge. Mr. Davys, senior, was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1851. He arrived in Auckland in 1862 by the ship “Hanover, and subsequently went to the Thames, where he was engaged in mining for about eight years. In 1876 Mr. Davys settled as a farmer at Tuhikaramea in the Waipa district. Fourteen years later he and his brother established a sawmill at Rukihia, and afterwards acquired a bush at Taupiri, where they erected a mill. This property was sold in 1899, when Mr. Davys settled in Cambridge. His present property, which is not far from the railway station, is known as “Kingston.” The house is a large building, with fourteen rooms, well furnished, and provides comfortable accommodation for visitors. Mr. Davys was married, in April, 1878, to a daughter of Mr. T. L. Norman, of Freborough, Somersetshire, England, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. Henry Edwin Davys was born in Hamilton on the 2nd of July, 1879, and was brought up at first to country pursuits by his father, and has since become a builder. He became a member of the firm on its establishment in 1899.
Miss L. C. Davys daughter of Mr. H. J. Davys, was born at Tuhikaramea on the 24th of November, 1884.
Allwill, Jared, Farmer “Redwood,” Cambridge. This settler's farm contains about 240 acres, on which the usual operations with sheep cattle, and crops are conducted. Mr. Allwill is a large supplier of the local creamery. He is a native of the North of Ireland, where he was born in 1843. Coming to the Colony in 1862, he for about four years managed a farm near Auckland, and on the outbreak of the native war served with the militia for a considerable time. On the conclusion of hostilities he purchased his present property and has resided there for more than thirty years. He was the first man to import a threshing machine, reaper and binder into the Waikato, and now owns a traction engine for chaff-cutting, etc., with which he has cut over 2000 tons of chaff in a year. “Allwill's Wine” is well known in the district, and he has the satisfaction of showing what New Zealand can produce in that respect.
Mr. J. Allwill.
Arnold, John, Farmer, Cambridge. Mr. Arnold is a settler of many years' standing, having resided on his present farm for about the third of a century. He was born in Eccleston, Lancashire, England, in 1833, and went out to Australia in 1852. After eight years on the goldfields, he was attracted to New Zealand and was for about three years on the Otago fields with varied success. He next went to the Waikato, joined the 3rd Waikato Regiment and served through the war. In 1864, he received his discharge and settled on his present farm, forty acres of it being a Government grant. Mr. Arnold has now a nice property of 240 acres all under cultivation; he grazes a few pure-bred Lincoln sheep and carries on general farming.
Banks, Norman, Farmer, “Gwynnelands,” Cambridge, “Gwynnelands” consists of about 500 acres and carries a large and well bred stock of sheep, cattle, etc., whilst a considerable portion of the land is under cultivation. About 1000 lambs are taken off the place each season. This farm is generally regarded as one of the best in the Waikato. Mr. Banks is a son of the late Mr. Joseph Banks, who was well known in Auckland from the time of his arrival in the Colony over forty years ago. Mr. Banks, senior, was for many years in partnership with Mr. A. McHardy, of Hawke's Bay, in the cattle trade at the Thames, and was subsequently manager of the New Zealand Freezing Company till his death in 1888 from the bursting of a blood vessel. He was much esteemed and his death was a great blow to a large circle of friends. His son, the subject of this sketch, was born in 1876 and is a grandson of Mr. A. Buckland, the well known auctioneer. He was educated at St. John's College and spent four years at Longbeach, near Ashburton, one of the most complete estates in New Zealand, and there he gained a thorough knowledge of station life. Since taking over “Gwynnelands,” Mr. Banks has devoted a good deal of attention to the breeding of hunters, a class of horse with which he has been most successful.
“Gwynnelands,” Mr. N. Banks' Residence.
Croxford, William, Farmer, “Littlegreen,” Cambridge. Mr. Croxford was born in Hampshire, England, in 1873. After leaving school he engaged in farming pursuits for several years in the Old Country. He came to this Colony for the benefit of his health, arriving in Lyttelton in 1893. For two or three years, Mr. Croxford travelled through the Colony, finally deciding to settle in Cambridge. His farm consists of 200 acres, all under cultivation; he devotes his energies chiefly to dairy farming, and supplies the local creamery.
Mr. W. Croxford.
Day, Cornelius Gabriel Stafford, Farming Contractor, Cambridge. Mr. Day was born in Kent, England, in 1858, and arrived in Auckland with his parents in 1860. He worked with his father, Mr. Cornelius Day, for a number of years and had considerable experience in connection with his father's creamery and butter factory. In 1896 Mr. Day settled in Cambridge, where he has since taken contracts for farm work. He was married, in 1888, to a daughter of Mr. E. Stewart, of Auckland, and has three daughters and one son.
Douglas, William Muir, Farmer, “Bruntwood,” Cambridge. Mr. Douglas came to New Zealand in 1873, and purchased his present farm of 713 acres in partnership with his brother, Mr. J. A. Douglas. The area of the property has been increased and now comprises 1000 acres. Mr. Douglas purchased his brother's interest in 1884, and carries on the rearing of cattle, horses, sheep, etc. He is a member of the Waikato Hunt, and master of the hounds.
Gray, William, Farmer, Cambridge. Mr. Gray was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1861, and came to this Colony with his parents in 1866, landing in Auckland per ship “Columbus,” He was educated in Auckland and gained his agricultural experience on his father's farm at Otahuhu. He purchased his present property, which consists of 125 acres freehold and fifty acres leasehold some years ago, and engages in general farming. Mr. Gray has not taken any active part in local matters, but has devoted the whole of his time to improving his farm. He is married and has three children.
Maungakawa Estate, the Property of Mr. William Thornton, consists of about 6000 acres of land, and includes the top of Maungakawa mountain. The property was originally purchased by the late Mr. D. Thornton, page 777 father of the present proprietor, and one of the founders of the well known firm of Thornton, Smith and Firth. The late Mr. Thornton was a very early colonist in New Zealand, and died in Russia about 1875. The estate is used principally for grazing and fattening cattle, and was for a number of years under the charge of a manager until taken over by the present proprietor. In 1890 a fine residence was erected on the property, whence excellent views of the Waikato, Mount Egmont, Ruapehu, and the Matamata waterfall are obtainable in clear weather.
Mr. William Thornton, the Proprietor, was born in Auckland in 1870 and was educated in England. He was married, in 1895, to a daughter of Captain H. E. Worsp, of Auckland, and has one son.
Roto-O-Rangi (Lake of Heaven) Estate (J. and R. Grice, proprietors), Cambridge. This valuable estate is the property of Messrs. J. and R. Grice, of Cumberland, England. It contains 18,000 acres, a large proportion being swamp land. There are about sixty miles of drains on the property made at great cost and trouble. The working stock consists of 8000 three-quarter Lincoln sheep with a justly celebrated Lincoln stud flock kept up to the standard by selection of sires from the best breeders of New Zealand, such as Messrs Sutton, Menlove, and Tanner. A few stud Romney Marsh sheep are also bred. The cattle are of an undeniable strain and were originally imported from the Circular Head Company, of Tasmania, and are kept pure by judicious selection and constant use of registered sires, notable among these being “Butterfly 37th,” “Wild Eyes Duke,” and “Harmony 5th,” imported from Victoria; “Cadmus,” bred by Mr. John Grigg, of Longbeach; “May Duke IV.,” purchased from Mr. E. Menlove, of Oamaru; and “Duke of Kent,” lately acquired from the famous Te Aute herd of Archdeacon Williams, of Napier. The run cattle are 1200 in number and mostly of a Shorthorn type, with a few Herefords and Polled Angus. A pure Clydesdale entire is usually kept on the property and the stock are much valued in the district. The proprietors of this estate have been remarkably successful at shows, their animals having carried off a large number of prizes in all classes—sheep, cattle, and horses. Roto-o-Rangi was established in the year 1874 and page 778 is situated half way between Te Awamutu and Cambridge.
Mr. William Grice Park, the Manager of Roto-o-Rangi Estate, is a native of Cumberland and cousin to the owners. He was born in that county and educated at Lancaster and Birkenhead, trained to practical farming in England and Wales for a few years. He came out to Australia in the early eighties and spent a short time in Victoria and South Australia. Crossing to New Zealand in 1882 he started on his present occupation, and became manager of the estate about nine years ago Mr. Park is a good judge of stock and well up in practical farming. He was for many years an enthusiastic member of the Te Awamutu Cavalry, and captain of the Cambridge Cricket Club. He takes a general interest in all matters connected with the district, and a special one in the station under his control.
Mr. W. G. Park's Champion Broadlock Lincoln Ram.
Mr. W. G. Park.
Mr. W. G. Park's Residence.
Mr. Elijah Beere, one of the Old Settlers in the Waikato, was born in Cornwall, England, in 1839, and arrived in Auckland by the ship “Devonshire” in 1863. He settled in the Cambridge district in 1866, and has now a freehold farm of 250 acres.
Mr. Benjamin Bland Booth, A very Old Settler in the Waikato, was born in Boston, Lincolnshire, England, in 1835, and arrived in Auckland by the ship “William Miles.” He went to the Waikato in 1864, served as a member of the 3rd Waikato Regiment throughout the war, and gained a fifty-acre grant, which he has since increased to 150 acres.
Mr. Stephen Lodder is an Old Colonist, and still carries on business as a wheelwright and undertaker. He was born in Dorsetshire, England, in 1823, and came out to Auckland by the ship “Ashmore” in 1856. Mr. Lodder settled in Cambridge in 1873, served in the Militia at Onehunga, and afterwards joined the Old Veterans' Corps, in which he served till it was disbanded.
Mr. John William Merrick is an Old Colonist, who was born in 1827, at Halifax, Nova Scotia, educated in Canada, and brought up to the soft goods trade. He came to Victoria in 1852 and was for several years at Bathurst, New South Wales. In 1857 he became associated with the firm of J. H. Burnside and Co., warehousemen, and was for ten years resident partner of the firm in Auckland. After retiring from the business in 1867 he resided in Australia for eight years but returned to New Zealand, and settled at Cambridge as a general storekeeper in 1875. Mr. Merrick retired from business in 1888.
Rout, William, J. P., Old Settler, Cambridge. Mr. Rout was born in Essex County, England, in 1830, and after leaving school, his mother being a widow, managed a large furniture and carpet business that she owned. He came to New Zealand early in 1853, in the ship “Maori,” landing at Nelson, and engaged in house-building at Richmond, eight miles from that place, in partnership page 779 with Mr. Nathaniel Leaper. Retiring eighteen months later, he purchased land at Massacre Bay and engaged in farming. This not being to his liking he, a year later, returned to Nelson and entered into the manufacture of furniture, and also carried on business as a builder for a few years. In 1862 he opened a land, estate, and commission agency, and in 1880 took his two sons, William and George, into partnership, He business being now carried on by them. Mr. Ront was appointed provincial treasurer for the province of Nelson in 1873, which office he filled until it was abolished, and he assisted in winding up the financial affairs of the province. On the introduction of the land-tax he was appointed Government valuator for Nelson district, which position he held until 1887, when he resigned, his son William receiving the appointment in his stead. He has not been actively engaged in business for a number of years, and finding the climate agreeable, has resided in Cambridge since January, 1894. Mr. Rout was appointed a Justice of the Peace during the administration of Sir George Grey, and has always taken an active interest in educational matters, being the founder of the technical school at Cambridge, in the management of which he continued to take a lively interest. Mr. Rout was married in Cheltenham, England, in 1853, to Miss Harriet Mann, who died on board the P. and O. steamer “Paramatta,” on 8th April, 1888, while accompanying him on a trip to England. She left three sons and four daughters. He was married again in London in 1890, to Mrs Mary A. Watkins, and of this marriage one son has been born.
Mr. W. Rout.
Mr. Archibald Wallace, Cambridge. Mr. Wallace is a native of Ayrshire, where he was born in 1812, and came to Auckland per ship “Duchess of Argyle.” After receiving his education he lived with his parents in the Tamaki West district, where they were among the earliest settlers, and were farming at Otahuhu for some time. About thirty years ago he purchased his well-known farm “Glenside,” at Pukerimu, which is now worked by his son, Mr. William Wallace. Mr. Wallace was connected with most of the local bodies at different times during his residence in the Pukerimu district. The late Mrs. Wallace was the daughter of Mr. David Thomson, an early settler at Flat Bush. The family numbers seven, three sons and four daughters.
Mr. A. Wallace and Three Sisters.