The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
The Waipa County covers an area of over 282 square miles of country, and has a population of about 5000, chiefly engaged in farming pursuits. The total value of real property within the county limits is £475,000. A general rate of £3/4d, and two separate rates of £1/2d and £3/4d in the £ in special districts, are levied. The total county revenue exceeds £2100 per annum. The county is divided into six ridings, three of which return one member each—namely, Hamilton, Newcastle, Tuikaramea, and three return two members each—namely, Pukekura, Raigiaohia and Mangapiko. The county has obtained loans for about £1200, of which £250 was on account of the bridge at Ngaruawahia over the Waipa river. Members for 1901: Mr. J. Fisher (chairman), and Messrs W. Scott, P. Connor, G. Mackinder, G. Finch, J. Bell, D. Fullerton, S. Steele, and E. J. Vickers. Mr. C. Bowden is clerk, and Mr. W. H. Mandeno, superintendent of works.
Councillor John Fisher, who has been Chairman of the Waipa County Council since 1899, and has represented the Pukekura riding for a number of years, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1837. He arrived in Auckland by the ship “Lord Burleigh” in 1856, and commenced farming in the Otahuhu district, where he continued about eleven years. In 1866 he purchased land at Pukerimu, and has resided on the property since 1867. He served twenty-one years as a volunteer, was a member of Colonel Nixon's Royal Cavalry Corps, and holds the New Zealand war medal for active service. Mr. Fisher has been four times a member of the Pukekura Road Board, and has been president of the Waikato Farmers' Club and the Waikato Agricultural Association. He has a property of 373 acres of freehold land, which is in a high state of cultivation, and is utilised as a dairy, fattening, and cropping farm.
Councillor J. Bell represents Mangapiko riding on the Waipa County Council.
Councillor G. Finch, who represents Paterangi riding on the Waipa County Council, is also a member of the Ngaroto Drainage Board.
Councillor D. Fullerton represents Newcastle riding on the Waipa County Council.
Councillor George Mackinder, who has represented the Kihikihi riding on the Waipa County Council since 1899, was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1839. He has always been engaged in farming, and came to Auckland by the ship “Armstrong” in 1864. Two years later he removed to the Waikato, and has spent most of his life in the Kihikihi district. The dairy farm on which he lives is 150 acres in extent, and, in addition to this property, he has 500 acres at Puketarata, in the King Country. He has served on the Rangiaohia Road Board for a number of years, and is also a member of the cemetery trustees. Mr. Mackinder was married, in 1861, to a daughter of the late Mr. S. Robinson, of Gravesend, and has five sons and six daughters.
Councillor G. Mackinder.
Councillor Patrick O'connor, who represents Rangiaohia riding on the Waipa County Council, is referred to in another article as a member of the firm of J. and P. O'Connor, farmers, “The Pines,” Te Awamutu.
Councillor William Scott, who is a Member of the Waipa County Council, on which he has represented Pukekura riding since 1896, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1844. He was brought up to agriculture, and settled in the Waikato in 1877, having been previously in the Tamaki and Mangere districts. His property at Pukerimu, which is known as “Strathmore,” is 250 acres in extent. Mr. Scott has served on the local school committee and has taken a prominent part for a number of years in connection with the management of the Presbyterian church. He was married, in 1866, to a daughter of the late Mr. M. Douglas, of Perthshire, and has two sons and four daughters.
Councillor Samuel Steele, who represents Hamilton riding on the Waipa County Council, is referred to in another article as a farmer at Ohaupo.
Councillor E. J. Vickers sits on the Waikato County Council as member for Tuhikaramea riding.
Mr. Charles Bowden, Clerk of the Waipa County Council, Rangiaohia Road Board and Te Awamutu Town Board, is a native of Devonshire, England, and was born in 1858. He came to this Colony when a lad with his parents and received his education at the Parnell Grammar School. For some years he worked on his father's farm at Otahuhu, but in 1880 the family removed to the Waikato and Mr. Bowden worked on the farm at Te Awamutu until 1895, when he took up his present duties. Mr. Bowden is married, and is extremely popular in the district.
Mr. William Henry Mandeno, Supervisor of Works under the Waipa County Council, of which he was chairman for a number of years, was born in Norhtamptonshire, England, in 1852. He settled at Oakland Farm in the Rangiaohia district in 1885, and has brought the property into a high state of cultivation. Mr. Mandeno has always taken a lively interest in local matters, and was for several years chairman of the Rangiaohia Road Board.
The Te Awamutu Town Board. Members for 1901: Messrs J. L. Mandeno, F. Gibson, G. Ahier, W. North, and J. B. Teasdale. The population of the township is about 400, and the total receipts from a rate of £3/4d in the £, licenses, and Government subsidy amount to about £200; the ratable value of the district is about £20,000. A town hall was erected by the board in 1897. It contains the board's offices, and has seats for from 400 to 500 persons. Mr. Charles Bowden is the board's clerk and sole officer.
Mr. J. L. Mandeno.
The Punui Domain Board consists of Messrs J. Walton, chairman, R. Cunningham, W. Johns, P. O'Connor, and M. Twiney, with Mr. D. Bockett as secretary. This board has been established several years, and has control over a number of reserves in the Punui district. The principal is the Jubilee Park at Te Awamutu, where the local athletic sports take place. A pavilion recently erected by the board at a cost of £220 will seat 200 people, and the board is generally making tracks, planting shrubs, and sowing grass seed. It has a good revenue, and its available funds are invested.
The Mangahoe Drainage Board, which dates back to August, 1898, has jurisdiction over an area of 4699 acres, with a capital value of £20,000. The properties in the district are divided into three classes, and general rates of 1d, £1/2d, £1/4d, and special rates of 1£1/2d, 1d, and £1/2, in the £, are struck. A loan of £1000, under the Government Loans to Local Bodies Act, has been obtained for draining and improving the Mangahoe river. Members of the Board for 1900: Messrs W. North, F. R. Gibson, W. Ashly, J. M. Ingham, and J. Kewish; with Mr. D. Bockett as clerk and treasurer.
Mr. William North, J.P., who is Chairman of the Mangahoe Drainage Board and Chairman of the Te Awamutu Town Board, was born at Lymington, Hampshire, England, in 1840. In 1875 he came to Auckland by the barque “Dillaree.” Three years later he went to Te Rahu, and in 1883 settled in Te Awamutu district, where he purchased 240 acres of land, which he works as a dairy and general farm. Mr. North is one of the oldest members of the Te Awamutu Town Board. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1898, and as an Oddfellow, he is attached to Lodge Loyal Good Intent, I.O.O.F.,M.U., Auckland. Mr. North was a member of the Order before leaving England. He was married, in 1859, to a daughter of Mr. J. Griffen, of Wootton St. Lawrence, Basingstoke, and has five sons and seven daughters.
Mr. W. North.
The Ngaroto Drainage Board was constituted in 1898. It has jurisdiction over an area of 5519 acres, the capital value of which is £18,168. The district is divided into three classes of land, on which the Board levies ordinary rates of 1£1/2d, 1d, and £1/2d respectively in the £, and special rates of 1d, £1/2d, and £1/8d. There is a Government loan of £500, which has been expended in lowering Lake Ngaroto, and it is to provide the interest on this loan that the special rates are struck. There are thirty-two dwellings in the drainage area, and thirty-eight ratepayers, owning forty properties. The members of the board for the year ending March, 1900, were Messrs T. Fry (chairman), W. J. Hunter, D. Cavanagh, E. Ellis, and G. Finch, with Mr. D. Bockett as clerk and treasurer.
The Te Awamutu Post And Telegraph Office was one of the earliest Waikato stations. It is a wooden building, and includes a residence of seven rooms, the public office, the post office and operating room, and postmaster's room. The postmaster is also Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, and his assistants are a clerk and a messenger.
Mr. John P. Vause, Postmaster and Telegraphist at Te Awamutu, was born in 1860 at Kawhia. He entered the post office as a junior in 1877. Four years later he was appointed to the charge of the Monganui office, and after serving five years at Te Aroha, was appointed to Te Awamutu in 1889. Mr. Vause, besides filling other local offices, has been chairman of the local library committee for several years.
The Te Awamutu Railway Station was opened on the 1st of July, 1880, and the line from this point to Otorohanga, in the King Country, was opened for traffic in March, 1887, and to Te Kuiti in September of the same year. The station is of wood and iron, and contains a public vestibule and waiting room, ladies' waiting room, and general office. It has also a long passenger platform and a convenient goods shed. The stationmaster is assisted by a junior porter and a guard, and two gangers are resident in Te Awamutu.
Mr. Samuel Harrison, Stationmaster at Te Awamutu, was born in England in 1863. He came to Auckland in 1883, and became an officer of the railway department in 1883. Before taking up his duties in Te Awamutu, he was successively in charge at Tirau, Lichfield, and Mount Eden.
The Te Awamutu Public School building is of wood and iron, and was erected towards the end of the seventies. It contains two main class rooms and two smaller class rooms, with accommodation for 150 pupils. There are 106 scholars on the roll, the average attendance is 96, and the headmaster is assisted by one certificated teacher and pupil teacher. The teacher's residence of seven rooms adjoins the school, and the buildings stand on a section of two acres and a half.
Mr. Herbert Ernest Ford, Headmaster of Te Awamutu Public School, was born at the Wade in 1872. He served his pupil teachership at Napier Street School, Auckland, and at Dargaville, and was in charge at Awanui and Otorohanga before being appointed to his present position in 1900.
St. John's Anglican Church, Te Awamutu, is a very old mission church, which was built in the thirties. It is one of the oldest churches built by the Church of England Mission. The old mission station adjoins the church; five acres are reserved for the church and mission house, and eight acres are let in sections. St. John's Church has been renovated and re-roofed from time to time. In the graveyard surrounding the church a number of old soldiers, privates and officers, who fell in battle or died while the war was in progress, are at rest. One corner of the churchyard is devoted to the graves of friendly Maoris, who fell fighting for the British. A monument in memory of the soldiers was erected by the Government in the churchyard a number of years ago. The Rev. Frank Latter, vicar of Te Awamutu, has been in charge since 1899.
The Waikato Presbyterian Church at Te Awamutu was erected in 1870, and stands on a section of half an acre. It is a wooden building, with accommodation for 100 worshippers. The manse, which is near the church, has a glebe of six acres of land. The minister in charge holds service at Kihikihi and Ohaupo, where there are church buildings, and at other settlements in the immediate vicinity.
The Rev. Walter Smith, Minister in charge of the Waikato Presbyterian Church at Te Awamutu, was born in Dumbartonshire, Scotland, in 1864, and educated at the Glasgow University and Free Church College. Mr. Smith had a highly successful college career, distinguishing himself particularly in Latin and Hebrew, and gaining several scholarships in Arts and Divinity. He arrived in Auckland in 1898, and soon afterwards took up his duties at Te Awamutu.
The Wesleyan Church at Te Awamutu stands on a section of about three-quarters of an acre. It is a wooden building, with accommodation for 100 persons, and was erected about 1884. Services are held regularly by the home missionary in charge, who officiates also at the schoolhouses at Mangapiko and Te Rahu.
Mr. Charles Thomas McFarlane, sometime Home Missionary in charge of Te Awamutu Home Mission Station, but now (1901) agent for the Citizens' Life Assurance in Masterton, was born at Motueka, Nelson, in 1875. He was educated at the Motueka public school, and served some time as an accountant. At the age of eighteen he entered the Salvation Army Training Home, and was subsequently commissioned as an officer, and stationed in various parts of the colony. He was then appointed as Home Missionary for page 726 the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, but, owing to ill-health, extending over a period of several years, was compelled to cease from public speaking and preaching. He then took an appointment as general agent for the Citizens' Life Assurance Company, and resides in Masterton.
Te Awamutu Amateur Athletic Club, which dates back to 1892, holds annual sports on the 9th of November at the Te Awamutu domain. Committee for 1900: Messrs C. Bowden, W. Taylor, junior, H. H. Burton, S. Bond, J. S. Clarke, H. E. Ford, H. Weai, and E. Churches, with Mr. D. Bockett as secretary and treasurer. There has from the first been a steady increase in the membership of the club, which is now recognised as being, financially and otherwise, the strongest amateur athletic club in the Waikato.
The Te Awamutu Cricket Club has about thirty members. Committee for 1900: Mr. J. Cotterell, president; Mr. C. Bowden, captain, secretary and treasurer; and Messrs H. Lewis, S. Bond, and T. Bond. The club's ground is situated at Jubilee Park.
The Waipa Rugby Union, which controls football throughout the county, has five associated clubs, namely, Te Awamutu, Kikikihi, Paterangi, Pirongia, and Otorohanga. There are senior and junior clubs at each place. The committee of management consists of two delegates from each club, four forming a quorum, and Mr. H. E. Ford is secretary.
The Te Awamutu Musical Society was established in 1889. The society produces capital entertainments for local objects. Officers for 1900: Mr J. Cotterill, president; Messrs J. Goodfellow, P. O'Connor, C. J. Storey, W. Taylor, and C. A. Taylor, vice-presidents; with a large committee, and Mr. F. Potts as treasurer, and Miss M. Mitchell as secretary.
The Te Awamutu Public Library And Reading Room was established in August, 1874. There are about 1650 volumes in the library, which is open three days in the week. Office bearers for 1901: Mr W. F. Lang, M.H.R., president, and Messrs J. P. Vause (chairman), J. L. Mandeno, J. F. Andrew, C. Bowden and H. H. Burton; Miss Ida M. Vause, secretary and librarian. The reading room is open daily, and is supplied with most of the leading colonial and British newspapers and magazines.
The Te Awamutu Magistrate's Court and Police Station occupies a prominent position in the township. The courthouse was erected in 1900, and stands on an acre and a quarter of ground fronting Roche Street—the site of the redoubt during the war. Besides a good court room, there are offices for the magistrate and clerk of the court, and a witnesses' room. The police district, which is part of the Hamilton subdistrict, extends from Ohaupo to Pirongia, and from Te Awamutu as far as Te Rau-a-Moa, about thirty miles away. Monthly sittings of the magistrate's court are held at Te Awamutu. This court has obtained notoriety in consequence of the number of sly grog cases from the King Country, which have been heard at it. On the 1st of August, 1900, fifty-eight cases against various defendants were heard before Mr Northcote, S.M., and fines amounting to £375, with costs amounting to nearly £60, were recorded against fifteen defendants on that day.
Mr. Archibald McPhee, Constable in charge of the Te Awamutu Police Station, Clerk of the Magistrate's Court, Inspector of Factories, and Probation Officer for the district, was born in 1866, in Hokitika, where he was educated. He was engaged in mining for some years, but joined the police force at the Thames in 1892, and was appointed to his present station in 1898. Mr. McPhee was married, in February, 1895, to a daughter of Mr. J. Kerr, of Howick.
Pairman, Adam Wyld, Medical Practitioner, Te Awamutu. Mr. Pairman was born at Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1842. He went to South Africa in 1889, and was for two years and a half practising as a medical man in Pretoria. In 1892 he arrived in New Zealand, and settled in Te Awamutu.
The Bank Of New Zealand at Te Awamutu was established about 1880. It consists of a convenient banking chamber, with residence attached, and the staff consists of the manager and one clerk.
Mr. Charles Arthur Taylor, Manager of the Te Awamutu Branch of the Bank of New Zealand, was born in Leicestershire, England. He arrived in Auckland by the ship “Empress” in 1865, and joined the staff of the bank in 1876 at Auckland. Mr. Taylor has occupied his present position since 1892.
Te Awamutu Dairy Factory (Ambury, English and Co., proprietors). This establishment is at present a creamery. It was built in 1882 as a cheese factory. The machinery, which consists of three Alpha separators, each of 300 or 400 gallons capacity, is driven by a ten horse-power portable steam engine. In the year 1900, 3000 gallons per day were treated at the flush of the season.
Mr. Charles Barker, Manager, is a native of Yorkshire, England, and was educated at Hare Park Academy, Hightown, and was brought up to dairy farming. He arrived in Wellington by the ship “Caroline” in 1880, and was appointed to his present position in 1893.
Te Awamutu Creamery (New Zealand Dairy Association, proprietors). This creamery was founded in 1896. The machinery page 727 consists of two Alpha separators, capable of treating 660 gallons of milk per hour, and is driven by a portable steam engine of nine horse-power. For the season of 1900 there were about twenty-five suppliers, and about 1200 gallons were treated daily.
Mr. Harding Hawken Burton, Manager of the Te Awamutu Creamery, was born in 1868 in Auckland. He was employed by Mr. Spragg in the butter department of the Auckland Freezing Works in 1883; was subsequently in charge of creameries at Wairoa South, Manku, Bombay, and Waiuku; and was appointed to his present position in 1898.
Williams, George L., Draper and Fancy Goods Dealer, Te Awamutu. Bankers. Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Williams' business was established in 1894 in a portion of the building he at present occupies, and his trade increasing to a large extent he found it necessary to augment his premises. The shop is now one of the best in the Waikato and has a floorage space of over 2000 feet. In the drapery department a large stock of new seasonable goods is kept and the fancy goods department is replete with all the latest novelties. Mr. Williams is a native of London and learned his trade in the Old Country, and had many years' experience with leading drapery firms both in England and America. He came to New Zealand in 1894, and shortly afterwards established his present business.
Bain, David Robb, Tailor, etc., Te Awamutu. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Bain conducts his business in premises situated in the centre of the township. The shop is fitted up on a very complete scale with a large stock of tweeds, etc. Mr. Bain has established an excellent connection, due to the attention he pays to the cut and finish of his work. He is a native of Auckland and was born in 1866. After receiving his education, he was apprenticed for five years to Mr. J. Blackburn, of that city. For some years he was working at his trade in Hamilton and was a long period foreman for Mr. H. Salmon, but started for himself in 1892. Mr. Bain is bandmaster of the Te Awamutu Brass Band, of which he was the promoter. He has always taken great interest in musical matters, and was connected with several bands in Auckland. Mr. Bain is married and has a family.
Mr. D. R. Bain.
Te Awamutu Hotel (M. S. Laurie, proprietor), Te Awamutu. This well known hotel was established in 1866. It was burnt down in 1888, when the present building was erected. It is built of wood, and has two stories, and a verandah and balcony on both sides. There are twenty-two rooms, including sixteen bedrooms, four sitting rooms, and a large dining room; and there is a good sized stable at the back.
Mr. Henry Lewis, formerly Proprietor, was born in Russian Poland in 1830. At the time of the Crimean war, 1854 Mr. Lewis went back to England, wher page 728 he continued for two years. He was one of the passengers by the ship “Oriental,” to Wellington, in 1857, and carried on business in that city as a storekeeper on his own account for about fourteen years. He then removed to Auckland and settled at Ohaupo in 1872. Four years later he removed to Te Awamutu, and erected the first good hotel in that township. Mr. Lewis was married, in 1863, to a daughter of the late Mr. Davis, of London, and has five sons and five daughters.
Mr. H. Lewis.
Gibson, Frank Robinson, Butcher, Te Awamutu. Mr. Gibson was born in Auckland in 1859, was educated there and brought up to farming by his father, Mr. John N. Gibson, of Mangere. The family removed to the Waikato in 1874. Mr. Gibson bought his present business in 1883, and eleven years later removed to the large premises now occupied by him. He was elected a member of the Te Awamutu Town Board in 1893.
Mr. and Mrs. F. R. Gibson and Children.
Aubin and Co. (George Ahier, M.A.), Storekeepers and Produce Merchants, Te Awamutu. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1886. Mr. Ahier's business is well known in Te Awamutu and district and he has a good connection with the leading settlers and farmers. Large stocks are kept of groceries, ironmongery, drapery, clothing, boots, and all goods necessary for the requirements of an extensive country business, the bulk of the goods being imported from the manufacturers direct. Mr. Ahier is agent for the “New Zealand Herald,” “Weekly News,” and “Waikato Argus,” and also holds the agency of the Commercial Union Assurance Company. He comes of an old Norman family and was born in Jersey in 1856. He received his education mainly at Avranches College, France, and finished at the Victoria College in Jersey. Coming to New Zealand per ship “Lutterworth” in 1875, he went to Alexandra, where for eleven years he assisted in his uncle's store. Mr. Ahier entered into possession of his present business in 1886 and has since successfully carried on a largely increasing trade. In public matters, he has always been prominent and is a member of the Te Awamutu Town Board, of which he was acting chairman for several years. It was chiefly through his efforts that the fine town hall was erected, and he has held the position of chairman of the Te Awamutu Town Hall Committee for nearly twelve years.
Friar, Davies and Co., Merchants and General Storekeepers, Te Awamutu. This is a branch of the firm's business, which is further referred to in connection with Ngaruawahia, where the firm has its headquarters.
Mr. William James Culver, Manager of Messrs Friar, Davies and Co.'s Branch Store, Te Awamutu, was born in London in 1865, and is a son of the Rev. James Culver, Congregational minister. His earlier education was with the view of fitting him for a minister of that denomination. Suffering from very ill-health, however, this project had to be abandoned and he came to New Zealand in 1880, landing in Lyttelton. Three years later he removed to Auckland and established himself in business as a manufacturing chemist. In 1894, Mr. Culver went to Te Awamutu and was engaged as traveller for Messrs. Friar, Davies and Co., subsequently opening and taking charge of the branch as above. He has always been closely connected with religious matters and was superintendent of the Gospel Mission in Upper Pitt Street, Auckland, for several years. He is well known as the founder of the New Zealand Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Women and Children, which is still in existence and doing a great deal of good. In Te Awamutu, Mr. Culver has acted as local preacher for the Presbyterian church and was actively connected with the temperance society, but his health being so precarious he has now to devote all his energies to his business and takes very little interest in outside matters.
Teasdale, John Burgess, Livery Stable Keeper and Farmer, Te Awamutu. Mr. Teasdale, who was one of the earliest members of the Te Awamutu Town Board, and was in office in 1890, was born in Cheshire, in 1846. He was brought up to mercantile life in Manchester, and came to Auckland by the ship “Zealandia” in 1866. Mr. Teasdale was for some time in Hawke's Bay, and subsequently spent ten years on the Thames goldfield, where he engaged in mining and had several tributes. In 1878 he settled in Te Awamutu as a storekeeper and carrier, and conducted his business till 1894, when he sold his interest to Messrs Friar, Davies and Co., who now carry on the business. Since that year Mr. Teasdale has been in business as a livery stable keeper and farmer. For fifteen years he served on the Waipa County Council, and he also served as a member of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. He has held office as loan valuer for the Government since 1898. Mr. Teasdale was married, in 1874, to a daughter of Mr. W. Ricket, of Te Awamutu, and has three sons and one daughter.
Bowden, Charles A., Farmer, Te Awamutu. Mr. Bowden's property consists of 800 acres leasehold of fine rich land, conveniently situated near the township of Te Awamutu, and is all under cultivation. He divides his attention between dairying and mixed farming, and sends the milk of forty cows to the creamery. The subject of this sketch is a native of Devon, England, and was born in 1832, was brought up to farming and came to New Zealand per ship “Royal Charlie” in 1862. On arrival in Auckland he was for some time employed by Mr. Alfred Buckland and afterwards leased a farm at Otahuhu, where he resided for twenty-five years. Mr. Bowden then went to the Waikato, was for six years farming at Paterangi, then leased his present property in 1896. In local matters Mr. Bowden was chairman of the Otahuhu Road Board for many years, and has also been on various school committees. He is married, and has five sons and five daughters. One of the sons, Mr. C. Bowden, is referred to elsewhere as clerk of the Waipa County Council.
Gibson, John Nettleham, Farmer, Te Awamutu. This old settler is a native of Lincolnshire, where he was born in 1825, and learned the trade of a ropemaker in that county. He arrived in New Zealand per ship “Joseph Fletcher” in 1851, and purchased a farm at Mangere, where he resided for a period of twenty years. He then removed to Te Awamutu, where he purchased a first-class farm, on part of which he has now retired after a long and hardworking colonial career. His farm contains about 300 acres and is a picked place. Mr. Gibson is married and has four sons and four daughters, the former being all married and settled down round the old people. Though an old man now, Mr. Gibson still retains much of his former vigour and is a fine hearty specimen of the old school.
Mr. J. N. Gibson.
Goodfellow, Hugh And John, Farmers. Te Awamutu. The property on which the Messrs. Goodfellow reside contains 1142 acres of valuable pastoral land, considered by experts to be one of the best farms in Wakato. They are well known throughout the Auckland district as breeders of pure-bred Lincoln sheep and Clydesdale horses. The brothers are sons of the late Mr. William Goodfellow, who arrived in New Zealand in the early days.
Jones, Wallace, Farmer, Puniu Flats, Te Awamutu. Mr. Jones' farm, one of the finest in the county, consists of 310 acres, on which a large herd of fine dairy cows are depastured. Mr. Jones is a native of Somerset, where he was born in 1849 and brought up to farm and dairy work in the Old Land. He came to New Zealand in 1875 per ship “St. Oseph” and acquired his present property soon after his arrival. Starting in a small way he soon became known for the excellent way in which he conducted his dairy farm, and rapidly made it the show place of the neighbourhood. He has taken a considerable part in local matters and shows himself keenly alive to the varied interest of his adopted home. His family numbers three sons and four daughters.
Mr. W. Jones.
O'Connor, John and Patrick, Farmers. “The Pines,” Te Awamutu. “The Pines” is a splendid farm of 585 acres, is well laid out, well stocked, and well managed. The genial brothers who own it, Messrs, J. and P. O'Connor, are men who have proved themselves as workers and athletes. They are the sons of Mr. Daniel O'Connor, of County Kerry, Ireland, who brought his family to the Colony in 1868. The subjects of this sketch had four years' experience on the West Coast goldfields, and then went to New South Wales, where during the next seven years, they were at all the important “rushes” in that Colony. Subsequently they moved to Northern Queensland, where for fifteen years the brothers engaged in the exciting search for gold. They were lucky in their quest, returned to Auckland and settled there for four years, then subsequently purchased “The Pines,” to which they removed accompanied by their parents. Mr. Patrick O'Connor in his younger days was a noted wrestler and all-round athlete. In the rough and ready mining camps in which he found himself so often, his skill and strength in manly sports frequently stood him in good stead, whilst his name was known far and near.
Storey, Charles James, Farmer, “Woodstock,” Te Awamutu. “Woodstock” farm contains 1621 acres of which about 700 is swamp and 650 ploughable. It has been occupied since 1870, and is noted for its splendid flock of 300 stud Lincoln sheep, which was started in 1874 by Mr Storey from stock purchased from the Auckland Agricultural Company, Messrs. Wallace, Tanner, and Mr. Reid of Elderslie, Otago, all well-known flock-owners. The flock has been kept pure, valuable additions being made from time to time, and has been signally ortunate in the prize ring. A large herd of cattle and some fine horses are also on this farm. The owner of this fine property is a native of Northumberland, where he was born in 1834. He came to New Zealand in 1857 per ship “Kenilworth,” and roughed it on the Collingwood diggings for a while. In company with a shipmate he walked from Wellington to Auckland in 1857—no small undertaking in those days. For the next few years he was employed by Messrs. A. Buckland and Son, auctioneers, and on the outbreak of the war took the management for supplying stock for contractors for army supplies. On the conclusion of hostilities he became lessor of a farm at East Tamaki, where he resided for eight years and in 1873 acquired the “Woodstock” estate. He has taken considerable part in local affairs being chairman of the Tamaki Road Board for many years and occupying many other public positions. Mr. Storey is justly regarded as a sterling colonist. His family numbers four sons and six daughters.
Mr. C. J. Storey.
Taylor, William, Farmer, “Greenhill,” Te Awamutu. This gentleman's fine property of 2500 acres consists of mixed land, about 1700 acres being first-class pastoral country. It was acquired by the late Mr. W. I. Taylor at the conclusion of the Waikato page 731 war, and his eldest son, the subject of this notice, has now occupied the farm for a number of years. As a breeder of Short horns and draught horses. Mr. Taylor is very well known throughout New Zealand. He commenced cattle-breeding in 1876 with the imported bull “Abraham,” and the herd now numbers close on 150. More than forty years ago, the late Mr. W. I. Taylor was a prizewinner in Auckland with his draught horses, and his son has continued the strain since most successfully. In 1891, he became owner of the celebrated Clydesdale, “General Fleming” whose stock is so favourably known in the North Island. On the farm are to be found three grand entires, viz.:—“Royal Conqueror,” “Better Times,” and “Rob Roy,” besides the horses, “Clydesdale Willy,” and “Lochinvar,” an Australian horse. There are about twenty draught mares, of which the most noteworthy is “Christina Fleming McCormack,” a frequent prizetaker, and “Lass o' Gowrie.” These horses have all won splendid records at the various shows. The champion Shorthorn bull “Duke of Clydevale” has never been beaten, and has taken prizes at all the principal shows in both Islands. The owner of this magnificent stock and excellent farm is a native of New Zealand, being born at Tamaki, near Auckland, in 1855, and was educated at the Auckland Grammar School under Mr. Farquhar MeCrae. He was manager of the property for several years, and later on became the sole owner. Mr. Taylor has twice held office in the Waipa County Council, has been chairman of the Rangiaohia Road Board and Licensing Committee, and has assisted all matters of local interest. Mr. Taylor is married to a daughter of the late Mr. William Proud, of Yorkshire, a well-known stockbreeder, and has six sons and one daughter.
Thorncombe Estate (John Anderson, manager), Te Awamutu. This property consists of 730 acres of freehold, which is all fenced, and all except 140 acres is in a state of cultivation. A fine flock of sheep, and cattle and horses are depastured on the property, and there are six acres in orchard.
Mr. John Anderson, Manager of Thorncombe Estate, was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1874, and educated partly in his native place and partly in New Zealand. He arrived in Auckland by the s.s. “Tongariro” in 1887, and was brought up to country pursuits. Mr. Anderson was manager of Surrey Farm, Pokeno, and afterwards had charge of Mr. A. Buckland's run at the South Heads for over a year. On recovering from an accident to his ankle at the end of 1899, he was appointed to his present position.
Mr. Richard Bosanko, sometime Justice of the Peace and Farmer, Te Awamutu. The property formerly owned by Mr. Bosanko is one of the best farms in the Te Awamutu district. It consists of about 400 acres of good land, and carries 100 head of cattle and horses, including an excellent stud flock of 200 Lincoln sheep descended from imported pure-bred rams. The flock is one of the heaviest wool producers in Waikato, and its members have achieved numerous successes at the local sheep fairs. Mr. Bosanko was born in Cornwall, England, in 1843, received his education at Falmouth, and after some time in a mining office, devoted his attention to farming. In 1872, he came to New Zealand per ship “Celina,” and his parents following next year, he purchased his own homestead and the one now owned by his brother. The farm was carried on in company with his brother for about seven years and then was equally divided between them. The property has been brought from its natural state to its present attractive appearance by dint of energy and perseverance, Mr. Bosanko, who married Miss Gibson, daughter of an old settler, died in November 1899.
Mr. John Fisher, Old Colonist, was born in 1832 in Nottingham, England, brought up page 732 as a butcher, and arrived in Auckland in 1862 by the ship “Matilda Wattenbach.” Soon afterwards he established business in Auckland under the style of John Fisher and Co., and during the early days of the Thames the firm had steamers, which carried supplies of meat to the goldfields. Mr. Fisher was also owner of the steamship “Southern Cross,” which was specially built for the cattle trade, and he chartered the steamer “Go Ahead” for a similar purpose. He retired from business in Auckland in 1892, and settled on “Clivedale,” a fine farm of 100 acres, in the Te Awamutu district.