The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Pukekohe is a flourishing farming district on the Waikato line, about thirty miles from Auckland. The land is rich and there is a considerable industry in dairy produce. It is a post and telegraph town and has a daily mail service. The district was settled about the year 1865, chiefly in five-acre and ten-acre blocks. For a number of years it was governed by one local body, the Pukekohe Road Board, but owing to the progress of settlement and the consequent increase of roads, it was found necessary to divide the district into two, now known as the Pukekohe East and Pukekohe West road districts respectively. Most of the country was covered with dense bush when it was first opened up. The land is undulating, and well adapted page 670 for dairy farming. Pukekohe is the centre of an extensive district, and there is coach communication from it to Mauku, Waiuku, and other outlying settlements. The local railway station is 215 feet above sea level, but on each side of the township considerable hills have to be passed to reach the various parts of the district, which is in the county of Franklin.
The Pukekohe West Road Board was formed about 1886, when the original Pukekohe road district, which was established in 1865, was divided into two districts. The total ratable value of the district in 1900 was £113,000; a rate of £3/4d in the £ is usual. The revenue of the board for 1900 was £554, including the Government subsidy of £169. Members for 1900; Mr. Charles Shipherd, chairman, and Messrs J. H. Wright, J. Latimer, T. Moore, and J. Hart.
Mr. James Latimer, who has been for many years a Member of the Pukekohe West Road Board, and was previously a Member of the original Pukekohe Road Board, is an old settler in the district. He has been identified with the local school committee for about twenty years, and been chairman for a considerable portion of the time. Mr. Latimer was born at Ashfield, County Cavan, Ireland, in 1841, and was brought up to agriculture on his father's farm. He arrived in Auckland on the 14th of February, 1865, by the ship “Ganges,” found employment with the late Mr. James Dilworth, and had charge of that gentleman's stud of draught horses for about three years. After a short stay at the Thames, Mr. Latimer settled in the Pukekohe district in 1868, and purchased 100 acres of land, which he has since worked as a dairy farm. Mr. Latimer was married, in 1871, to a daughter of the late Mr. Robert Hanna, of Auckland. This lady died in 1891, leaving three sons and two daughters. In December, 1893, Mr. Latimer was married to a daughter of the late Mr. Charles Burton, of Auckland, and there are two daughters by this marriage.
Hanna, photo.Mr. J. Latimer.
Mr. Thomas Moore, who has for many years been a Member of the Pukekohe West Road Board, was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, in June, 1817. He was farming for twenty years on his own account in his native country, and arrived in Auckland by the ship “Ganges” on the 14th of February, 1865, when he secured a ten-acre grant in the Pukekohe district, where he has resided almost continuously since his arrival.
Mr. Jacob Henry Wright, J.P., who is a Member of the Pukekohe West Road Board, and was for about seven years consecutively chairman of that body, was born near Penzance, Cornwall, England, in 1840. His father was a shipowner and captain, and brought him up to a seafaring life, and he successfully passed an examination in navigation in 1856. Subsequently he gave some attention to farming, but afterwards went to sea to complete his time. The accounts received in England from New Zealand attracted him, and, deciding to become a settler, he left England in the ship “Bombay,” which arrived in Auckland on the 18th of March, 1865. Mr. Wright was fortunate in securing a special grant of 100 acres for himself and his wife, and, having selected this property on Pukekohe Hill, he became one of the first settlers in that part of the district, which was at that time all bush. In 1875 he returned to England after selling his land. Eighteen months later he returned to the colony, and purchased the property which he now holds, under the name of “Boscarne,” which is 303 acres in extent, and is now in a high state of cultivation. Mr. Wright has taken a great interest in the progress of the district in educational matters. He served on the Pukekohe West school committee for many years, and was appointed by the Government to convene the first meeting under the Education Act of 1877. He was also for four years a member of the Auckland Board of Education. As long ago as 1870 he was secretary and collector for the Pukekohe Road Board, which then included the two districts known as Pukekohe East and Pukekohe West. Afterwards he was for several years secretary of the Pukekohe West Board, and is at present, and has been for many years, a member of the Franklin Licensing Committee. As a volunteer, he has served as second lieutenant in No. 1 Company Pukekohe Rifles, and received his commission from Sir G. F. Bowen on the 10th of February, 1873. Mr Wright has been a lay reader in connection with the Church of England for some years, and has been local correspondent for the New Zealand Herald since 1880. He has also been treasurer for the Auckland district of the New Zealand Farmers' Union since its inception. In the early sixties he started the Onehunga Racing Club, and about twenty years later the Pukekohe Club. Mr. Wright was married, in 1861, to a daughter of Mr. R. Bilkey, of Buckland, and has five sons and three daughters, and twelve grandchildren living, and one dead. In a word, Mr. Wright belongs to the honourable legion of pioneer settlers, who penetrate the backwoods to carve new homes out of the primeval forests, and sow the seeds of well high all that is prosperous and pleasant in the condition of their adopted country.
Mr. J. H. Wright.
Mr. Thomas Grey Usher, Secretary and Treasurer of the Pukekohe West Road Board, was born in 1839, in the County of Durham, England. He came out to Queensland in 1865, but two years later removed to Newcastle, New South Wales, where he resided for twelve years. In 1879 Mr. Usher came to the Bay of Islands as underground manager at the coal mine, and was afterwards in business as a butcher at Kawakawa. He settled in the Pukekohe district in 1884, and keeps a boardinghouse in a central position in the township.
The Pukekohe Mounted Rifles were formed in 1900, and have a membership of eighty-four. The officers are: Lieutenants H. Dell, A. Connell, and J. W. Johns. Mr. A. White is secretary and quartermaster.
Lieutenant Henry Dell, of the Pukekohe Mounted Rifles, was born in Auckland in 1864. He is a saddler by trade, and has been in business in the district since 1885.
The Pukekohe Railway Station And Post And Telegraph Office was established in 1875. It is of wood and iron, and contains a ladies' waiting room, public vestibule, railway and postal room, and porter's room; and there is a large goods shed with a space of 1800 square feet. There are four sidings in connection with the station, and the staff consists of the stationmaster, two cadets, a messenger, and a porter.
Mr. Thomas Booth Fleming, Stationmaster and Officer-in-charge of the Post and Telegraph Department, was born at Longford, Ireland, and came to New Zealand with his parents by the ship “England,” in 1865. He was brought up to mercantile life, but entered the Government service as a cadet in Auckland in 1881. In 1887 he was appointed stationmaster at Hamilton, and four years later was transferred to Pukekohe.
Pukekohe West Public School, which was established about 1870, stands on a five-acre section in the old township. The building has been twice enlarged, and now contains three class rooms, with accommodation for 250 children, of whom there are 120 on the roll, and the average attendance is 105. Two certificated teachers assist the headmaster.
Mr. Casper Semadeni, Headmaster of Pukekohe West Public School, holds a O certificate, and was born at Waipu in 1868. He was appointed to his present position in 1899, and had before that been stationed successively at Newton West for two years, Tauranga, one year, Newmarket, one year, Woodside (Papatoitoi), three years, and at Devonport, five years.
St. Andrew's Church, Pukekohe, which was erected about 1875, is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 125 persons. There are thirty scholars attending the Sunday school, which is conducted by four teachers. The church is under the charge of the Rev. F. B. Dobson, vicar of Bombay and Pukekohe, who resides at Bombay.
The Pukekohe Presbyterian Church, which was opened at the beginning of 1898, occupies a central position in the township. The church is a handsome building of wood and iron, with a bell tower; it will hold 250 persons, and there is a vestry and a small hall at the back. The manse, a seven-roomed building, was erected before 1880. Services are conducted at East Pukekohe, Mauku, Puni, Bombay, Pokeno, Tuakau, Kauawa, Maramara, Maungatawhiri Valley, Onewhero, Pukekawa, and at Waiau.
The Rev. William Findlay, who has charge of the Presbyterian cause in the Pukekohe district, was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1855. He was educated at the parish school, and at the Free Church College in Glasgow University. Mr. Findlay arrived in New Zealand in 1886 by the s.s. “Coptic,” and was assistant to the Rev. J. G. Paterson, at Napier, for two years before he removed to Pukekohe, where he was ordained in 1888. Mr. Findlay was married, in 1886, to a daughter of the Rev. D. Farquhar, some time of Broomielaw Free Church, Glasgow, and has one son.
St. James' Church, Pukekohe, which is the principal church in the Pukekohe district, belongs to the Roman Catholics, and its district extends from Drury to Mercer and from Ararimu South to Maioro, including Waipipi, Waiuku, and Awhitu. Besides St. James', the presbytery and the convent of St. Mary the Immaculate, stand on the site, which consists of five acres. The church has seat accommodation for 100 worshippers, and the convent can accommodate twenty boarders, in addition to the Sisters of the Mission in charge.
The Rev. Joseph Loughlin Ahern, Priest in charge of the Pukekohe District, was born at Meelin, County Cork, Ireland, in 1848. He was educated at Rock Chapel and at the classical schools of Kanturk and Castleisland, Ireland, and subsequently at All Hallows College, Dublin. His ecclesiastical course was finished at St. Mary's College, Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America, and he was ordained on the 4th of July, 1875, at St. John's Cathedral, Cleveland, Ohio. After that he had charge of the churches at Alliance, Tiffin, and Toledo, all in Ohio, and left America in August, 1879, invalided to Ireland. Having recovered his health, Father Ahern came to Wellington in 1881, and after serving three months in Blenheim, he was removed to Nelson, where he ministered for a similar term. He then had charge of Waipawa, Hawke's Bay, for seven years, and was for a corresponding period at Grafton, New South Wales. In 1895 Father Ahern returned to New Zealand, and after ministering for two years at Gisborne, he was appointed to Pukekohe in 1897.
Rev. J. L. Ahern.
The Wesleyan Church at Pukekohe, which is considered the headquarters of the Franklin circuit, was erected in 1878, and the building was removed to its present site in 1891. There are five acres of land, on which stands the parsonage, an eight-roomed building erected in 1882. The church itself is a wooden building with an iron roof, and there is seating accommodation for 120 worshippers. The Sunday school is held in the church, and there are sixty scholars, and seven teachers. There are several other churches in the Franklin circuit; namely, at Waiuku, Tuakau, Mauku, Bombay, Paparata, and Pokeno; and there are ten other preaching places, at which services are held chiefly in the public schools. The resident minister is assisted by a Home Missionary, who is stationed at Waiuku.
The Rev. George Thomas Marshall, Wesleyan Minister in charge of the Franklin Circuit, resides at Pukekohe. He was born at Leamington, England, in 1853, and held a position as book-keeper and cashier to a firm of English merchants, until he left for New Zealand, in which he arrived in January, 1881, by the ship “Loch Urr.” Before coming to the colony Mr. Marshall was a local preacher in connection with the Wesleyan Church, and became a candidate for the ministry in 1882. He was for one year at the Three King's Institute, as a student at his own expense, and for a second year by direction of the Conference. Mr. Marshall has been engaged in the work as a minister since 1883, when he was appointed to the page 672 Upper Thames circuit. Subsequently he was at Kawakawa, Northern Wairoa, Paparoa, Tauranga, and Opunake respectively, and was afterwards at Richmond for four years. He was stationed at Pukekohe in April, 1899. Mr. Marshall was married, in 1887, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. P. Brown, a very old settler in the Bay of Islands, and has four sons and three daughters.
Rev. G. T. Marshall.
Lodge Franklin, No. 58, N.Z.C. This lodge was established in 1885. Officers for 1900: Bro. H. M. Johnston, W.M.; Bro. H. Hockin, P.M., secretary; Bro. W. Roleston, S.W.; Bro. D. Jamieson, J.W.; Bro. C. Shipherd, P.M., treasurer; Bro. J. G. Rutherford, P.M., chaplain; and Bro. H. Dell, P.M.D.C. There are thirty-six members, and the Masonic Hall, which belongs to the lodge, is a twostorey building erected in 1886 at a cost of £600. Under the lodge room there is a large hall, which is used for public meetings.
The Franklin Rugby Union, which controls football in the Franklin district, was established in 1898. The clubs connected with the Union are Pukekohe, Tuakau, Waiuku, and Southern Wairoa. Officers for 1900: Messrs H. Hockin, president, and J. Patterson, secretary, with three delegates from each club. The winner of the senior and junior championships for 1900 was the Waiuku Club. Pukekohe has won the championship four times, and Southern Wairoa thrice.
The Franklin Agricultural Society was established in 1886. Officers for 1901: Messrs C. Shipherd, president: G. Ballard and A. J. Laurie, vice-presidents; Messrs J. G. Rutherford, J. Johns, J. Roulston, junior, D. Jamieson, R. Madill, James Potter, H. Wily, S. Wildblood, J. McDonald, J. Kennelly, W. Booker, and R. Wilkinson, executive committee; R. McCowen, treasurer; J. Roulston, senior, and J. H. Wright, auditors; J. Patterson, secretary. The society's grounds almost adjoin the Pukekohe railway station, and consist of eight acres and a half, purchased in 1900. Suitable buildings have been erected, and the annual show, held in March, is considered one of the important shows held in the Auckland province. Prizes to the value of £300 in cash and kind are distributed. The entries of exhibits for the 1901 show were very nearly 800 in number.
The Pukekohe Musical And Dramatic Society, which was established in 1897, gives periodical entertainments in the Masonic Hall for charitable and other local purposes. Officers for 1900: Mr H. Dell, chairman and business manager; Mr. T. B. Fleming, secretary; Mr. H. M. Johnston, treasurer; and Mr. A. J. Laurie, stage manager. There are about forty members.
The Magistrate's Court and Police Station, Pukekohe. The courthouse includes the court room and rooms for the magistrate and clerk. The police station is a seven-roomed building, with a lock-up and stable. The Magistrate's Court was established in 1883, the police station two years later; the district in charge of the local constable covers an area of thirty square miles, and has a population of from 3000 to 4000. It extends from Onewhero to Wairamara, and from Karaka near Drury to a point about half way to Raglan, and includes the district between Waiau and Paparata.
Smyth, Andrew Crawford, Chemist and Druggist, Pukekohe. Mr. Smyth was born in Ireland in 1853. He studied for his profession in London, and was registered at Apothecaries' Hall. He was three years in business on his own account at Peckham, came to Auckland by the ship “Halcione,” in 1881, and established his business in Pukekohe in 1894.
Goodwin, Daniel, Coachbuilder and Wheelwright, Main Road, Pukekohe. Mr. Goodwin has a large workshop and paintshop adjoining his boardinghouse, and has conducted the wheelwright business since May, 1883. He was born in County Fermanagh, Ireland, learned the trade of a carpenter, and came to New Zealand by the ship “Dauntless,” as ship's carpenter, in 1866. Mr. Goodwin commenced business in Parnell, but removed in 1867 to Onehunga. He was for sixteen years in business at Otahuhu, and removed to Pukekohe in 1883. Among his early experiences in the colony he can recall work in connection with the railway traffic at Newmarket, and the construction of clay waggons for Messrs Brogden and Sons.
Mr. D. Goodwin.
The Pukekohe Central Factory, which belongs to the New Zealand Dairy Association, is an extensive building of wood and iron, and has a large brick chimney stack 60 feet in height. It is about two miles from Pukekohe township on the main road. The motive power consists of a 30 feet Cornish boiler by Fraser and Tinne, of Auckland, and two twelve-horse power Tangye engines. There are three 400-gallon Alpha separators, and a complete butter-making plant, including four box churns and one butter worker. The temperature is regulated by a powerful refrigerator, aided by water coolers. For the season of 1900–1901 the output of butter was estimated at from 500 to 550 tons. The cream from nineteen creameries is treated at the factory, which employs ten hands in addition to the manager. There is a special department for testing the butter-fat value of all the milk received, not only at the factory but at forty-two creameries situated in various parts of the Upper and Lower Waikato. The testing plant consists of two testers; one known as a Russian Babcock, and the other as a “Facile” milk-tester. Samples of the milk sent in by each supplier to the forty-two creameries are sent down for testing purposes regularly, and so that no injustice may be done to the suppliers, each one is paid according to his milk's value in butter-fat.
Mr. Sydney Morris, the Manager of the Pukekohe Central Dairy Factory, was born in the Isle of Wight in 1861. Before coming to New Zealand he gave special attention to the dairy industry. He was engaged by the New Zealand Diary Association in 1890 to take a position in connection with its business as a foreman. Mr. Morris is well known as a capable manager, and exercises a wise supervision over the whole work of the Pukekohe Central Factory. He was married, in 1888, to a daughter of Mr. J. E. Ackroyd, farmer, of Temuka, Canterbury, and has four daughters and two sons.
Mr. Alexander Stevenson, the Officer in charge of the Testing Department of the Pukekohe Central Dairy Factory, was born in 1859 in Glasgow, Scotland, and came when he was four years of age to Auckland, with his parents, in the ship “Ganges.” He was brought up as a carpenter, and followed his trade for seven years in Auckland. In 1885 he joined the butter department of the New Zealand Freezing Company under Mr. Spragg, and had charge of the churns at the Pukekohe Factory for two years, and was subsequently in charge of the creamery for a similar page 673 period. He then returned to Pukekohe, and was in the butter room for two years before he was appointed to his present position.
Pukekohe Hotel (William Clarke, proprietor), Pukekohe. This hotel was established in 1863. It is a two-storey building of wood and iron, has a verandah and balcony, and contains about fourteen rooms. Stables, loose-boxes, and a paddock adjoin the hotel.
Goodwin's Boardinghouse (Daniel Goodwin, proprietor), Main Road, near railway station, Pukekohe. This establishment consists of two buildings of one and two stories respectively, and contains altogether twelve rooms, including the bathroom. The dining room, measures 30 feet by 20 feet, and has chairs for about fifty persons. The establishment has been conducted as a boarding-house since 1894. Mrs Goodwin, who takes the management is very attentive and considerate to her visitors. Behind the house there is a large stable, with eleven stalls and two loose boxes.
Webster, Robert Fellowes, Saddler, Pukekohe. Mr. Webster was born at Bermuda, in October, 1846, and educated at Chichester, and at Edinburgh. Mr. Webster came to New Zealand in 1859, by the ship “Persia.” and was employed for nine months at the New Zealander Office in Auckland. He learned his business as a saddler in Auckland, and afterwards worked seven years with the late Mr. J. Wiseman. He then commenced on his own account in premises next to the Union Bank in Queen Street. Three years later he removed to Waiuku, and after a stay of twelve months, removed to Pukekohe, where he has been in business since 1879. Mr. Webster's premises are in the main street, and consist of a substantial shop and a dwelling of seven rooms. As a volunteer he served for six years in the Waiuku Cavalry, and was for about ten years lieutenant of the South Franklin Mounted Rifles. Mr. Webster was married, in 1881, to a daughter of Mr. Joseph Potter, merchant, of Auckland, and has three daughters. He is a Justice of the Peace, and has been chairman of the Pukekohe school committee, and also a member of the local road board.
Mr. and Mrs R. F. Webster.
McCowen, Richard, General Store keeper, corner of Main and Pukekohe Hill roads, Pukekohe. This business, which has been conducted by the present proprietor since 1884, was carried on for some years previously by Mr. Buchanan. The buildings, which are ereced on a large corner section, half an acre in extent, consist of a commodious shop and dwelling, besides two wood and iron stores, where stocks of grain and produce are stacked.
Roulston Bros. (William Roulston), General Storekeepers and Butchers, Pukekohe. Mr. Roulston was born in Auckland and was educated at the Grammar School. He started business for himself some years ago, securing his present store from Mr. Sanderson. The building is the principal one in the main street, to which it has a frontage of sixty feet and forty feet to Hall Street. The buildings are used for a corn store, and general store purposes such as grocery, clothing, boots, ironmongery, etc. The firm imports direct from the Home markets and supplies the surrounding country as far as Mercer and Huntly. Mr. Roulston takes a prominent part in the athletic clubs of the country districts, and is vice-president of the Pukekohe Football Club.
Mr. J. Johns.
Laurie, Alexander Jack, Settler, Pukekohe. Mr. Laurie was born in Dunscore, Dumfries-shire, Scotland, and received his education in that town; some time afterwards he sailed for the colonies in the s.s. “John Elder,” landing at Melbourne. He came over to Auckland in November, 1881, in the s.s. “Arawata.” After being in that city about three years, Mr. Laurie started contracting, but went back to Melbourne, where he continued business. He returned to Auckland in 1895, when he purchased his present holding in the Pukekohe district. The farm consists of 178 acres, eighty of which are in grass, the remainder under cultivation. The greater portion of the land is of a rich swampy nature and may be said to comprise some of the choicest country in the Pukekohe district. There are seventy head of cattle and eight horses on the farm, which has a very comfortable homestead surrounded by extensive outbuildings.
Roose, Elijah, Farmer, Pukekohe. The subject of this sketch was born in Cornwall, England, and came to the Colony with his father in 1859 by the ship “Excelsior,” landing at Auckland. When his father died in 1864, Mr. Roose continued farming on his own account, and now holds 500 acres, 400 of which are under cultivation; and forty head of cattle and 400 sheep are grazed on the land. The farm has been nearly all cleared by Mr. Roose, who found it covered with scrub and mixed bush. There is a comfortable dwelling of seven rooms. Mr. Roose is married and has seven children.
Mr. E. Roose.
Roulston, James, Farmer, “Belmont.” Pukekohe. This gentleman, whose handsome residence is one of the prominent homesteads of the district, was born in Donegal, Ireland, and came to Australia in 1861 in the ship “Oceanica,” landing at Melbourne. He started farming at Broad-meadows, about eight miles from Melbourne, where he remained for six months, and then went on to Bacchus Marsh. He stayed in that district about nine months and when the gold “rush” broke out at Gabriel's Gully, he went to Tuapeka, Otago, and after meeting with fair success followed the “rush” to Wakamarina, where he remained nine months and then went to Wairoa. Mr. Roulston removed to Auckland in 1865, went to the Thames and was eight years at Punga Flat as hotel and storekeeper. He then took over the Pukekohe Hotel and store which he owned for ten years. After that he engaged in farming and has been eighteen years on his present holding of 200 acres. Mr. Roulston has always taken great interest in blood stock and owns the famous brood mare “Winnie,” dam of the hurdler “Belmont,” whose record in winning the Grand National Hurdles at Ellerslie has not been beaten.
Routly, John, Farmer. Aldercombe, Pukekohe. Mr. Routly was born at his present residence in 1868. In 1866 his father, the late Mr. W. Routly, purchased the estate, which consists of about 208 acres of fine agricultural land. It is now in a high state of cultivation, and has one of the finest flocks of Lincoln sheep in the district, besides cattle. Mr. Routly uses all the modern appliances for agricultural operations. After receiving his education at Pukekohe he succeeded to the management of the estate in 1887 on the death of his father. He is a thoroughly practical farmer, taking a deep interest in matters pastoral and agricultural. The farm runs about 300 Lincoln longwool sheep, and thirty head of cattle, and about fifty or sixty acres are under crop annually. The dwelling-house, which is a commodious and comfortable residence of nine rooms, is situated on a gentle rise off Pukekohe Hill, and commands a magnificent view of the surrounding country. Mr. Routly is vice-president of the Franklin Agricultural Society and is unmarried. His mother is the oldest lady settler in the district and during the Waikato war had to flee for her life from the natives. She arrived at Pukekohe in 1859, when she came out from England with her brother, Mr. E. Roose. At that time the district was a trackless waste, covered with bush, and practically without signs of civilisation for twelve miles around.
Mr. J. Routly. Miss Routly.
W. Routly. Mrs. Routly.
Routly, M. B., Farmer, Pukekohe. The subject of this sketch was born in Cornwall. England, and came to the Colony in 1865, in the sailing ship “Lancashire Witch.” On arrival Mr. Routly went to Rama Rama, where he learnt colonial farming under Mr. John Martin, with whom he remained over six years. He then removed to Pukekohe, to manage his father's farm which he now occupies. It consists of 100 acres, and is situated about two miles from Pukekohe. When Mr. Routly took up the land it was virgin bush, there not being sufficient clearing to grow a dozen cabbages. Now there are twenty-five acres under crop with the balance in grass. The farm runs 130 sheep with lambs, and twenty head of cattle. There is a homestead of six rooms with large sheds and stable. Mr. Routly is unmarried page 675 and resides with his mother and sister.
Mr. James Fraser, who is a retired civil officer of the Government of India, was born in 1833, in Ross-shire, Scotland. He went to India in 1857, served in the Army during the Mutiny till 1859, and attained the rank of sergeant-major. Mr. Fraser was present at the siege and capture of Lucknow, at the battle of Bareilly, and at minor engagements, and holds the Mutiny medal and clasps for Lucknow. He became a civil officer of the Indian Government in 1861, and occupied a position in the Administration Department of the Province of Kumaon for thirty years. At the end of 1891 he retired from the service on a pension. He came to New Zealand early in 1893, and settled at Pukekohe in 1894.
Mr. Thomas Wilkinson, J.P., Old Colonist, “The Woodlands,” Pukekohe, was born in Cumberland, England, in 1830. He was the only son of an old North of England yeoman, was brought up to farming, and before coming to the colony held responsible positions under some well known noblemen. He arrived in Auckland in 1880, rented a house in Parnell for four months, and in 1881 he settled in the Pukekohe district, where he purchased the Woodlands estate. Mr. Wilkinson was made a Justice of the Peace in 1883.