The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Mangere, on the Manukau, a few miles from Onehunga, and eleven miles from Auckland, is one of the most fertile and interesting farming districts in the north of the colony. The soil is of a rich volcanic nature, and yields heavy crops and perennial feed for stock. All the farms have a substantial, prosperous look, with very English — like surroundings. There is a daily mail and also a telephone service.
The Mangere Public School is situated about three miles from Mangere Bridge, and was erected about eighteen years ago. It contains two class-rooms. The number of scholars on the roll is sixty-five and the average attendance fifty-seven. The school is under the charge of Mrs. James Mellsop, who is assisted by Miss Plumley.
Hall, Roy, Storekeeper, Mangere. This store was established in 1877, and was taken over by the present proprietor in 1898, in conjunction with Mr Arthur Taylor. Mr. Hall bought out his partner in July, 1899, and has since considerably increased the business. The Mangere post and telegraph office has been connected with the store for some years. Mr. Hall has worked hard to make the business a success, and keeps a superior stock of groceries, and general store goods. He was born at Ellerslie, and is a son of Mr. William Hall, a well known settler in Mangere. Mr. Hall was educated at the Church of England Grammar School, Auckland, and under Mr. T. H. Giles. He afterwards joined Messrs Sargood, Son and Ewen, with whom he remained six years, and then commenced business on his own account at Mangere.
Gooseman, Samuel, Farmer, Mangere. This settler was one of the pioneers of this district, and was born in Tetney, Lincolnshire, England, in 1827, being the second son of Mr. Robert Gooseman, farmer, of Tetney. He was educated at Umberston Grammar School, near Grimsby, and worked on his father's farm until 1861, when he left London, per ship “Indian Empire,” and arrived at Auckland in October of that year. Mr. Gooseman, like the majority of early colonists, has engaged in various callings. In 1872 he bought a farm in Mangere and was the first grower of cereals in the district. Mr. Gooseman is an old member of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board and of the local school committee. In 1848, he married Miss Ellen Lidgett, and has had eighteen children, of whom five sons and one daughter are living.
Robinson, Albert, Farmer, Ihumata, Mangere. Mr. Robinson was born in London in 1840. He is the eldest son of Mr. Samuel Robinson, solicitor, and was educated at Boston, Lincolnshire, where he learnt agriculture. In 1866, he left England, per ship “Pegasus,” and on arrival in Auckland obtained employment at Mr. Thomas Russell's “Pah Farm,” Epsom, where the remained for ten years. About 1867, Mr. Robinson purchased his present farm of 156 acres from Mr. Matthew Fleming. Mr. Robinson does not take any active part in politics or local affairs, as he devotes all his energies to his property, but as a member of the Church of England he takes a warm interest in its welfare. He was married in 1877 to a daughter of Mr. Robert Macinder, of Boston, Lincolnshire, and has six sons and four daughters.
Mr. A. Robinson.
Taylor, John Edward, Settler, “Water Lea,” Mangere. Mr. Taylor was born at Bradford, Yorkshire, in 1848, is the eldest son of Mr. Gideon Taylor, provision merchant, of Bradford, and was educated at Watson's Academy, Bradford, and Greave's Boarding School, Spofforth, near Wetherby. In 1868 he joined the service of the Consolidated Bank of London. From 1869 to 1881, he was engaged as a fancy dress goods manufacturer, trading under the name of Northend, Taylor and Cullen, the last mentioned of whom afterwards became manager of the Kaiapoi Woollen Company. In 1881 Mr. Taylor left England, per “John Elder,” for New Zealand, via Sydney, and arrived in Auckland, per “Hero,” in June of the same year. After his arrival he bought a partnership in the Auckland Dairy Company, but subsequently sold out his interest. Mr. Taylor is a Liberal in polities, and takes an active interest in all local affairs. He is chairman of the Mangere Domain Board, president of the Mutual Improvement Society and of the Manukau Prohibition League. He likewise has been successful in obtaining motive power from the action of the tides, and hopes to see the plan applied in raising fresh water for the use of the city and suburbs on a much larger scale than that which at present exists. Mr. Taylor and his family are very musical, and their services are frequently given at local concerts.
Wallace, James, Farmer, “Crook Haven,” Ihumata, Mangere. This settler was one of the pioneers of Mangere, and a member of the much respected Wallace family. He was born in 1824 in the parish of Campbell-town, Argyleshire, was educated there and worked on his father's farm until emigrating to Australia, in 1853, with his brother Archibald. The brothers settled at Shoalhaven, New South Wales, for some years. In 1865 Mr. James Wallace came over to Mangere, whither some of the family had already preceded him and became a partner in a block of land with his brother, Archibald, who had also come. Subsequently, he purchased his “Crook Haven” farm of 165 acres, which he carried on very successfully until his death on the 25th of September, 1895. Mr. James Wallace was a breeder of Clydesdale horses, which gained numerous prizes at the Auckland agricultural and pastoral shows. He took great interest in the local government of the district, and was on the road board and school committee for several terms. Mr. Wallace was connected with the Wesleyan Church, and was a liberal supporter of all good works. He was married in 1863 to Janet, fifth daughter of Mr. Archibald Dunlop, of Campbelltown, Argyleshire, and had an only daughter.
Mr. R. Wallace.
Westney, William, Farmer, Ihumata, Mangere. Mr. Westney, who is one of the oldest settlers in the district, was born in 1814, in Sheffield, Yorkshire, where he was educated, and prior to leaving England he was engaged in agriculture. In 1844, Mr. Westney left London, per ship “Sydney,” for Auckland, via Wellington, and on his arrival he settled at Tamaki for several years. About 1853 he purchased his present farm of 120 acres, which he has cultivated ever since. Mr. Westney has been identified with the Wesleyan Church and also with the road board and school committee during his residence in the district.
Mr. William Westney, youngest son of Mr. William Westney, now carries on his father's farm with the assistance of his brothers. He was born in Remuera in 1847, educated at Mangere, and has been engaged in agricultural pursuits from boyhood. He is also greatly interested in Church work, in the local affairs of the district, and is chairman of the Mangere school committee, vice-president of the Auckland Agricultural and Pastoral Asociation, and circuit steward of the Wesleyan church.
Mr. Adam James Dickey, J.P., is a very old colonist. He was the eldest son of Mr. James Dickey, and was born in Hollybrook House, Randelstown, County Antrim, Ireland, on the 20th of May, 1836, and educated at Grace Hill Academy near Ballymena. Mr. Dickey came out in the ship “Troubadour,” to Melbourne, where he joined the Mounted Police, as a cadet, and did escort duty in 1852. He arrived in Auckland in December, 1853. In 1855 he joined the Colonial Secretary's office as an extra clerk, and subsequently became Clerk of the Records. On the removal of the seat of Government to Wellington, in January, 1865, Mr. Dickey was promoted to the chief clerkship of the Native Land Court, in which he subsequently became the Registrar, and filled this office until his retirement. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1875 by Sir Frederick Whitaker. Mr. Dickey resides at Mangere.
Mr. James Ellett, Old Colonist, and formerly of “Ihumata” Farm, South Mangere, was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1834, and was the second son of Mr. James Ellett, farmer, of Milverton, in that county. Leaving England in 1859, per ship “Tornado,” he arrived in Auckland in September of that year, and obtained the management of Chamberlain's Island, where he remained for twelve months, when he took up a small farm at the Three Kings. He afterwards purchased land in Epsom district, but eventually sold it. In 1862, Mr. Ellett went to Mangere, where he acquired a block of land adjacent to Mr. McCrae's property, and in 1864 he bought a farm of 258 acres from the Maoris. Mr. Ellett carried on mixed farming until his death, and since then his widow has continued the cultivation of the property. Mr. Ellett was married in 1859 to Miss Mary Ann Greenway, daughter of Mr. George Greenway, of Somersetshire, and had eleven children, nine of whom survive him.
Mr. Donald Hugh Mckenzie, Old Colonist, Mangere, was at one time a master mariner and merchant. He was born in 1836 in Lochinchard, parish of Eddrachilles, Sutherlandshire, Scotland, and is the son of Mr. Robert McKenzie, formerly in the British Army. He was educated in Nova Scotia, to which colony he was taken at the early age of twelve years, and where he remained eleven years, engaged in storekeeping with his cousin, now the Hon. W. Ross. In 1859 he left Nova Scotia as an officer of the barque “Helen Lewis” (Capt. Ross) which arrived at Auckland in May, 1860. Capt. McKenzie continued his seafaring career and sailed his own vessels in the coastal and intercolonial trade for six years. He commenced business in Auckland in 1867 as ship-chandler, shipping agent, grain and flour merchant, and carried on till 1889. Captain McKenzie always took a keen interest in general and local politics, has been a strong supporter of the Liberal interests, and acted as chairman of Sir George Grey's central committee, when the Knight of Kawau first contested an Auckland constituency. He was a member of the Auckland Harbour Board for fourteen years continuously and chairman for two years; he is also an ex-mayor and councillor of the borough of Parnell, a strong advocate of temperance, and has long been an adherent of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church.