The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Waiuku is situated on one of the many arms of the Manukau harbour, about thirty miles from Onehunga by steamer, and fourteen miles from the Pukekohe railway station. The district has a population of 460 inhabitants, some fine general stores, a first-class hotel, Anglican, Presbyterian and Wesleyan churches—where weekly services are held—a Magistrate's Court, Masonic and public halls, post and telephone offices, and creameries, and all the other adjuncts of a provincial town. Its history dates from the early days of the colony, as in the fifties it was a very thriving little township, the centre of a large trade between Auckland and the Waikato, on the only route then existing between the latter place and Onehunga. The Waikato natives were then growing large quantities of wheat, which was conveyed down the Waikato river and up the Awaroa tributary, and thence by bullock teams along the portage road for two miles to Waiuku, for shipment to Onehunga. A large industry was carried on also in flax, and a number of flaxmills were working in the district, giving employment to numerous settlers, and the wages thus earned enabled them to carry on the improvement of their farms. The progress of the district has been very marked, and its prosperity is most patent. The land is very fertile on the higher grounds, and the swamp land, which contains thousands of acres, is being thoroughly drained and laid down in pasturage; the flats are recognised as being amongst the richest in New Zealand, and in times of the greatest drought the grass is still luxuriant. There is a great demand for land on the Aka Aka and Awaroa swamp, and very high prices are given, as the land's remarkable fattening qualities are well known. On the western side of the Waiuku, on the higher land, there is a large and fertile tract of grass country, extending from the Waikato river to the Manukau Heads, that has long been recognised as being second to none for grazing purposes, and there thousands of cattle are fattened yearly for the Auckland markets. The surrounding country is very charming, with its hills, ornamented with clumps of the beautiful native bush, miles of rich pasture land, and the broad Waikato flowing along the flats; and from the higher ground an anchanting view of the Tasman Sea, and the placid waters of the Manukau, is obtainable. The visitor may be disappointed on his first visit to Waiuku, but a short trip into the country will amply repay the trouble. The main street of Waiuku is the boundary line dividing the districts controlled by the Waiuku and Waipipi Road Boards. Formerly the Mauku, Waiuku and Waipipi Road Boards were one body, but owing to the increasing importance of Waiuku and Waipipi, these places were formed into separate road districts.
Mr. Henare Kaihau, Member of the House of Representatives for the Western Maori Electorate, and a son of the late influential chief, Mr. A. Kaihau, of Waiuku, was born in 1855. He was educated at Archdeacon Maunsell's School, Waikato. At the early age of twenty-four, he began to take a great interest in all matters relating to the welfare of his people, and to show that ability which has since marked his political career. For years he was a leading spirit at all the meetings of the Native Parliament, in which he was accustomed to speak with the fluency which is a marked characteristic of his race. In 1896 Mr. Kaihau was elected member to represent the Western Maori district in the New Zealand Parliament, and was re-elected at the general election of 1899, when there were six other candidates; but Mr. Kaihau received 2685 votes of the total number recorded—5096. Mr. Kaihau is well known as a page 677 cultivated man of great ability, and is most painstaking in looking after the interests of the large district he represents.
The Waiuku Road Board district is bounded by Waiuku and Awaroa creek to the Waikato, east by the Pukokohe road district, south and south-east by the Waikato, and north and north-east by the Mauku road district. In the earlier days of settlement, an acreage rate of 6d per acre was struck. The present ratable value is £82,773, and a revenue of £260 is collected from a rate of £3/4d in the £, and the ratepayers number 238. Mr. C. T. Barriball is chairman, and Mr. W. J. King is collector and secretary.
Mr. Charles Thomas Barriball, J.P., Chairman of the Waiuku Road Board, is the third son of the late Mr. Charles Barriball, one of the most prominent and respected of the pioneer settlers of Waiuku. He was born in 1845, near Auckland, where he was educated, and came with his parents, in 1860, to Waiuku, where he started farming with his father—an occupation which he has since carried on successfully. At an early age he began to take a keen interest in the general affairs of the district, and at the age of twenty-four was elected a member of the Waiuku Road Board, to which he gave his services until 1899—a period of over twenty years—and was chairman of the Board for the greater part of that time. In 1901 Mr. Barriball was again requested to give his services to the Board, and he was again elected chairman. There are now twenty miles of good roads in the district, and six miles are metalled. Mr. Barriball is a member of the school committee, of which he has been for nine years continuously chairman. He is also chairman and trustee of the Temperance and Public Hall, and a member of the Domain Board. He was long connected with the volunteers, and was one of the original members of the Waiuku Cavalry for about thirty years. For the first half of that period he was sergeant, and for the remaining half sergeant-major, and holds the long service medal. Mr. Barriball has for years devoted his attention to the welfare of the Wesleyan church, and was instrumental in collecting funds for the erection of the present church in 1883, the Barriball family contributing most liberally to that object. It is a fine building, capable of seating 200 worshippers. Mr. Barriball is a well known breeder of Lincoln sheep, and an exhibitor and prize-taker at the leading shows in the province, having won numerous certificates, championships, and silver cups. He has always taken a leading part in the various agricultural and pastoral associations, and was three years successively president of the Franklin Agricultural and Pastoral Association. For over thirty years he has been a strong advocate of temperance. In 1872 Mr. Barriball married Miss Hodge, and they have a family of three sons and seven daughters.
Mr. William J. King, Secretary and Collector of the Waiuku Road Board, and Secretary and Treasurer of the Aka Aka Drainage Board, Returning Officer and Government Valuator, is a son of the late Mr. P. H. King, Clerk of the Court and Interpreter for Waiuku, and grandson of Mr. John King, of the Church Missionary Society at the Bay of Islands, who landed with the Rev. Samuel Marsden in 1814. Mr. King was born at the Bay of Islands, and educated at Waiuku. On leaving school he started farming and contracting, and still successfully follows these occupations. He was first elected a member of the Road Board in 1881, and held the position of treasurer for that year. Mr. King received his present appointment on the Waiuku Road Board in 1897, and on the Drainage Board in the previous year. He was a member of the Waiuku Volunteers, and held the rank of lieutenant under the late Major Hamlin. Mr. King is chairman of the Domain Board, and he is an Oddfellow, and secretary of the Waiuku Lodge. His mother, Mrs King, landed in New Zealand in 1840, and, though now in her eighty-sixth year, she is still (1901) hale and hearty, and lives with her son, who remains unmarried.
Mr. and Mrs W. J. King.
The Aka Aka Drainage Board was formed in 1895, with the object of draining the Aka Aka swamp, containing about 10,000 acres. The first chairman was Mr. Caleb Hosking. The present chairman is Mr. R. Allen Bent, and Mr. W. J. King is treasurer and secretary. A differential rate was struck in 1901, dividing the land into four classes: First class, 1£1/4d; second, 1d; third, £3/4d; and fourth, exempt. A special rate on the money borrowed is levied at two-thirds of a penny in the £. The rates collected amount to £1109, and on the special loan to £26. Two large main drains, 6 feet deep, and about 12 to 13 feet wide, are respectively five and four miles in length, and there are also several miles of auxiliary branch drains.
The Waipipi Road Board controls a district which originally formed part of the Mauku and Waiuku road districts, but became a separate district in 1879. The first chairman was Mr. Walter John Harris. The ratable value of property in 1900 was £115,000, and the rates collected, at £3/4d in the £, amounted to £292 8s 9dh. The district is bounded on the south by the Waikato river, on the west by the Tasman Sea, on the north by the Pollock road district, and on the east by the Waiuku estuary, village of Waiuku, and the Awaroa stream through the Awaroa swamp to the Waikato. Mr. A. M. Barriball is chairman, and Mr. A. E. Mellsop, secretary and collector.
The Waiuku Mounted Rifles, Waiuku. Officers: Captain A. M. Barriball, Lieutenant Makgill, Lieutenant Bent, and Lieutenant Herrold. The corps has a total strength of eighty-four. Waiuku enjoys the distinction of having formed one of the first volunteer corps in the colony. The Waiuku Royal Cavalry Volunteer Corps was established in 1866, when the officers were Captain Harris, Lieutenant E. Hamlin and Lieutenant Mellsop. The corps continued to exist till 1895, when, owing to the want of encouragement by the Government, it disbanded, much against the wish of the members. On the revival of interest in volunteering, caused by the war in South Africa, the present corps was formed in Waiuku, in October, 1900. The company is composed of the picked men of the district, and is one of the finest bodies of volunteers in the colony. At the military sports held in Potter's Paddock (now Alexandra Park), in the presence of His Excellency Lord Onslow, then Governor, the Waiuku Cavalry were successful in carrying off a great number of the honours. Lord Onslow presented Lieutenant Barriball with the cup won by his squad in the Lloyd Lindsay Competition, Major Hamlin was congratulated on the success of his men, and Trooper Flexman was presented with the medal won by him in the Victoria Cross competition. In several other events the Waiuku Cavalry were also successful. With such a record established by the old corps, the success of the Waiuku Mounted Rifles is not to be wondered at. At the military gymkhyna, held on the 15th of June, 1901, in Potter's Paddock, during the visit of their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, the majority of events were won by the members of the Waiuku Mounted Rifles, who made a record, and established their reputation as being one of the finest bodies of mounted infantry in the Auckland provincial district.
Captain Alfred Martyn Barriball, of the Waiuku Mounted Rifles, is the youngest son of the late Mr. Charles Barriball, one of the earliest settlers in the district. Captain Barriball was born at Epsom in 1856, and was educated at Auckland and Waiuku—at Waiuku, under Mr. Henry Worthington, afterwards head teacher of the Wellesley Street School, Auckland. He went with his parents to Waiuku in 1861, and, on leaving school, started farming, an occupation which he has since successfully carried on. From an early age Mr. Barriball took a great interest in volunteering, as well as in the general affairs of his district. He first joined the volunteers in 1871, and after various promotions in the old corps, received his commission as lieutenant in 1883, and continued with the corps until the disbandment in 1895. Mr. Barriball holds the long service medal. On the formation of the present corps he was appointed to the position of captain. In all local matters Mr. Barriball has taken a prominent and leading part. He has been connected with the Waipipi Road Board since 1893, and has held the position of chairman of that body for a number of years. In educational and church matters he has always taken a prominent position, and has long been a member of the Waiuku school committee. He is a trustee of the Wesleyan church, and has held the position of secretary and reasurer of the Trust since the building of the church. Mr. Barriball is an Oddfellow, and was the first Noble Grand in the Star of Waiuku Lodge. He married Miss Cons[unclear: table] and has a family of twelve children, six sons and six daughters.
Lieutenant Robert Allen Bent of the Waiuku Mounted Rifles, Pukeroa, Waipipi, is the second son of Mr. Robert Bent now of Remuera, a pioneer settler in the Waiuku district. He was born at Epsom, Auckland, in 1862, and was educated at the Church of England Grammar School, Parnell. After serving four years to the building trade, he went to Waiuku and joined his father, who then owned and farmed what is known as the Lamb Hill estate. Mr. Bent continued with his father until 1891, when he first leased his present fine Pukeroa property of nearly 2000 acres. This property was owned by his father, but Mr. Bent has since acquired the freehold by purchase. It is a noted fattening farm, and was picked out in the early days of settlement for its evident fertility, and joined part of what was known as the Lamb Hill estate. The farm at present carries about 400 head of cattle, but the sandhills are rapidly being converted into fine grass lands, and eventually the property will be capable of fattening twice the present number. Mr Bent has been a member of the Waipipi Road Board for some years, and is at present chairman of the Aka Aka Drainage Board. He was appointe d[gap — reason: illegible] lieutenant on the formation of the present corps. He is a member of the Auckland and Franklin Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and has been an exhibitor and prizetaker at the various shows. In 1901, he took first prize for the best troop horse, out of twenty-six competitors. He has also been a member of the Anglican church committee for some years. Mr. Bent married, in 1891, Miss Mary Leighton, daughter of Mr. Leighton, of Auckland, cousin of the late Lord Leighton, and has a family of two sons and two daughters.
Lieutenant John Edward Makgill, of the Waiuku Mounted Rifles, and of “Lucklaw,” Waiuku, is a son of Captain Makgill, and was born in Edinburgh in 1874. In 1830 he came out to New Zealand with his parents, and was educated at St. John's College, and the Auckland Grammar School. He afterwards started farming, and his present property is one of the finest in the district. Mr. Makgill was a member of the Waiuku Cavalry until its disbandment, and was elected lieutenant on the formation of the present corps. He has been a member of the Waipipi Road Board for some time, is a trustee of the Waiuku Racecourse Reserve, and a director of the waiuku Steam Navigation Company. Mr. Makgill was married in 1897 to Miss Devereux, daughter of the Hon. de Bohun Devereux, of Auckland.
The Rev. W. H. Webster, B.A. (Cambridge), was born at Upton Hall, Cheshire, and entered the Royal Navy in 1864, retiring with a pension in 1873. He entered St. John's College, Cambridge, where he graduated, and was ordained in 1876. After holding various curacies in England, he was appointed chaplain at Bonn, from 1882 till 1889, and from 1889 till 1892, he was Organising Secretary of the Additional Curates' Society. In 1892 Mr. Webster went to Tasmania, where he received the appointment of curate to Holy Trinity Church, Launceston, and held that position till 1896, when he was appointed vicar of Bothwell, Tasmania. He accepted his present charge in August, 1899. Mr. Webster married the niece of the late Dr. Stubbs, Bishop of Oxford, and has a family of five children.
Rev. W. H. Webster.
Clouston, John, M.B., C.M., Waiuku. Dr. Clouston was born in Sheerness, Orkney Islands, Scotland, in 1854; was educated at Edinburgh University, and graduated in 1879 with honours. He practised in his native islands for four years, then in Fifeshire, Scotland, where he held several public appointments. In 1893 he came to New Zealand, and began his practice in Waiuku.
Rossiter, Samuel Thomas, Builder, Contractor, and Undertaker, and District Agent for the New Zealand Insurance Company, Waiuku. Mr. Rossiter is a son of Mr. Edward Rossiter, of Ashley, Canterbury, formerly a well known builder and undertaker. He was born at Christchurch in 1860, and learned his business with his father. In 1883, Mr. Rossiter went to Waiuku under an engagement to build the courthouse, and two years later moved to Auckland, where he remained for six years, during which he was engaged in erecting some of the city's finest buildings, amongst them Mr. Brett's beautiful residence at Lake Takapuna. In 1891 he returned to Waiuku, and since then his career has been one of great success, his operations in all branches of his business being the largest in the district. Mr. Rossiter has been identified with the volunteers since his first arrival at Waiuku. He joined the Waiuku Cavalry in 1885, but resigned in the following year, owing to his departure for Auckland. On his return in 1891 he rejoined the corps and remained in it until its disbandment. When the present local corps was formed, he joined it, and holds the rank of sergeant and troop secretary. He is a prominent Freemason, was one of the founders of Lodge Pierce, Waiuku, and at present is Worshipful Master. Mr. Rossiter was one of the founders of the Oddfellows' Lodge at Waiuku, and occupies the position of District Deputy Grand Master. He is also secretary of the Waiuku school committee. Mr. Rossiter married, in 1887, Miss Barriball, daughter of Mr. John Barriball, and has a family of five.
Mr. and Mrs J. M. McFadyen and Family.
Hanna, photo.Mr J. M. McFadyen.
Bailey, William, Farmer, Otaua, Waiuku. Mr. Bailey was born on the 26th of February, 1837, in Sussex, England. He followed a seafaring life in his early days, and remained engaged in the coastal trade for four years. In 1855 he landed in Victoria, Australia, at the time of the Ballarat riots. He went up country, and was engaged on a sheep station for twelve months, and went thence to the Ararat goldfield. Mr. Bailey remained on the goldfields for about three years, and afterwards purchased a team of bullocks and started carting. He then disposed of his bullock team and plant, and started storekeeping and butchering, a business he carried on for some time. Having sold it he went to Queensland, where he remained for twelve months. In 1875 he came to Auckland, and purchased a property at Otana. He has since gradually added to his area, and now owns also a portion of the Otaua swamp land. Mr. Bailey carries on dairy farming on his property. He married, in 1863, Miss Mary Fahey, of Galway, Ireland, and has had eight children, three of whom are now alive.
Mr. W. Bailey.
Hosking, Caleb, Farmer, “Fernleigh,” Waiuku. Mr. Hosking was born in Devonshire, in 1833. He was educated at his native place, and afterwards brought up to farming. He left his native country for New Zealand, in 1851, by the ill-fated ship “Polar Star,” which was burned at sea. She had on board a number of passengers, and a detachment of sappers and miners, and when twenty-two days out from London, she got on fire. After burning for three days, the “Hanna Mooka,” on a voyage from Callao to Cadiz, came in sight, and rescued the passengers from the burning ship. They were landed at St. Helena, and after remaining there a week, were conveyed back to London. After great trouble with the company, who refused to convey them back to New Zealand, except by payment of the ordinary passage money, the passengers arranged that by paying half the ordinary fare they should be carried to their original destination. Landing in 1855 by the ship “Rock City,” after a passage of eighty-eight days, they were first boarded by Dr. Logan Campbell, who was then agent of the Shipping Company. Mr. Hosking, after some weeks in Auckland, determined to try New Plymouth, where numbers of his countrymen were settled, but, owing to its disturbed state through native troubles, he returned to Auckland, and settled down at Waiuku. The district was then in its native state, but he was not deterred by its unpromising appearance, and after considerable hardships incidental to those days, he cleared his property of bush and scrub, and his endeavours and perseverance were crowned with success, as by his practical knowledge of farming he has converted his land into a fertile and valuable estate. During his long residence in Waiuku, Mr. Hosking has taken his share in all the general public administration of his district. He was a most energetic member of the Road Board for a great number of years, and during that time was for three years chairman. He has also taken a great interest in the social questions of the day, has acted on the school committee for some time, and has done good service in the cause of temperance. As a member of the Wesleyan body he has given his time and labour for its advancement, and at present he is a trustee of that church. When Mr. Hosking arrived in New Zealand he was accompanied by his brother, Mr. Charles Trick Hosking, who, in conjunction with his uncle, Mr. Trick, started the flour mill at Riverhead for the late Mr. John Brigham. Mr. C. T. Hosking, who was afterwards connected with Messrs Thornton, Smith and Firth, of Auckland, and was subsequently farming for some years at Waiuku, now resides with his brother. Mr. Caleb Hosking married, as his second wife, Miss Barriball, daughter of the late Mr. Charles Barriball, one of the pioneers of the district, and of this union there is a family of six daughters and two sons.
Mr. and Mrs C. Hosking.
Kidd, Alfred John, Farmer, “Brookfield,” Waiuku. Mr. Kidd, who is the eldest son of Mr. Alfred Kidd, at present (August, 1901) Mayor of Auckland, was born at Ngaruawahia, in 1875. He was educated at St. John's College, and the Auckland Grammar School, and afterwards studied at the Agricultural College at Lincoln, Canterbury. On leaving the Grammar School he went to Te Akau station, where, in four years, he acquired a practical knowledge of stock and farming. After studying at the Agricultural College at Lincoln, Christchurch, he entered the firm of Messrs Hunter and Nolan, and obtained a further experience of stock. Mr. Kidd then went to Waiuku, where he had purchased the beautiful estate of “Brookfield.” He resides at the homestead, and superintends the large interests of his father in the Aka Aka swamp, where Mr. Kidd, senior, owns about 1500 acres of the pick of that land, and annually fattens about 500 cattle for the Auckland markets, in which they command the highest prices. Dairy farming, too, is to be taken in hand on page 682 a large scale, and a creamery is being erected near the swamp property. Mr. Kidd married Miss Packer, of Waiuku, and has a family of two children.
Mr. A. J. Kidd.
Motion Brothers (William Claude Motion and Ivan Anbrey Motion), Farmers, Waiuku.
Mr. William Claude Motion, of the Otaua Swamp, was educated at St. John's College, and afterwards under Dr. McArthur, at the Queen's College, Auckland. He had two years' commercial experience in the office of Messrs Nathan and Co., and was for a similar period with Mr. John McHardie, of Black Head Station, Napier, where he gained a thorough knowledge of sheep farming. Mr. Motion is a well known athlete, and won the two principal events at the Auckland Exhibition of 1898, besides being the winner of numerous other prizes and trophies. He is a musician of great ability, both on the piano and violin, and an admirable comic singer. Mr. Motion and his brother own a large property on the Otaua Swamp, where they carry on extensive farming operations with great success. He married Miss Sellers, daughter of Mr. H. J. Sellers.
Mr. W. C. Motion.
Mr. Ivan Aubrey Motion was, like his brother, educated at St. John's College, and at the Queen's College under Dr. McArthur. On leaving school, he went to Waiuku, and with his brother, purchased their present fine estate. Mr. Motion is also a good musician, and a talented performer on the piano. He is unmarried.
Mr. I. A. Motion.
Reid, Thomas Dickson, Farmer, “Reid Park,” Waiuku. Mr. Reid, who is the only son of the late Mr. Thomas Reid, was born in 1868, at “Reid Park,” Waiuku. He was educated at the state school, Waiuku, and studied farming at the Lincoln Agricultural College. Canterbury. On leaving college he assisted his father in the Reid Park estate, and on the second marriage of his father he leased the property, and ultimately acquired the freehold. Mr. Reid is a well known breeder and exhibitor of shorthorn pedigree stock and Clydesdales. At present he owns three sires, “Doctor Seddon,” “Salisbury Zet,” and “Federation,” now travelling around the Auckland province, and acknowledged as being among the finest sires in the whole provincial district. Mr. Reid has secured numerous prizes with high bred stock at the various Auckland cattle shows. He took first, special, and champion prize for the best heavy draught stallion at the Auckland Agricultural and Pastoral Show of 1890, and lately took the first prize for the best brood mare and two-year-old filly at the same Association's show. He was formerly a well known prize taker for shorthorns, but now devotes his attention to horse breeding. So far Mr. Reid has, like his late father, refrained from taking any part in local affairs, but devotes his time to the management of his extensive business. He married Miss Brown, a lady from Cambridge.
Smith, Henry Walter, Farmer, Hillside, Waiuku. Mr. Smith was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1840, and was brought up to farming. He came to New Zealand by the ship “Red Jacket,” and arrived in Auckland in 1861. He followed various pursuits, and was afterwards engaged in farming and bush clearing at Henderson, and again in farming at Ring's Point, Three Kings. In 1866 Mr. Smith moved to Waiuku where, having purchased part of his present farm, which was totally unimproved, he started clearing. Since his arrival prosperity has smiled on him, and he has continued to add to his property, which now comprises 360 acres of fertile land, where he carries on grazing and mixed farming. Mr. Smith served in the Auckland Militia and in the Waiuku Rifle Volunteers under Major Hamlin. He was for some time a member of the Waiuku Road Board, but has latterly devoted his attention to the cultivation of his valuable property. In 1896 he visited the Old Country, where he spent many a happy day in revisiting the scenes of his early youth. Mr. Smith married Miss Georgina Thompson, who bore him nineteen children, of whom eighteen are still alive—eleven daughters and seven sons. Eight daughters and one son are married, and are all settled in the colonies. One married son is settled on a farm at Waiuku, and two other page 683 sons are settling on 700 acres at Makarau, north of Auckland.
Mr. and Mrs H. W. Smith and Family.
Smith, William Alfred, Farmer, “Bothwell Park,” Waiuku. Mr. Smith was born at Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, in 1842, and was brought up to farming. In 1864 he arrived in Auckland by the ship “Royal Stuart.” He began business in Karangahape Road, where he established a large butchery, which he carried on prosperously for four years, then sold it, and went to the Thames goldfields, where for over four years he successfully carried on business as a butcher, and at the same time speculated in mining shares, which proved less remunerative. He then left the Thames, and in partnership with his brother, carried on large farming operations at New Brighton, Miranda. After fifteen years' farming, Mr. Smith disposed of his share in the property, returned to Auckland, and again started a butchering business in Ponsonby Road, which he carried on until 1891. He then retired, and purchased his present beautiful property of 2000 acres and a mansion at Waiuku, known as “Bothwell Park,” originally owned by the late Mr. John Wallace. Mr. Smith has since disposed of part of his property, but has retained about 600 acres around the homestead. His estate is one of the most desirable properties in the district. Mr. Smith has never taken part in any public affairs, but has been a member of the Waiuku Anglican Church committee for three years. He married Miss Holliday, of Yorkshire, in 1885, at Bishopscourt, Auckland, and has a family of three daughters and one son.
Mr. and Mrs W. A. Smith and Family.
The late Mr. E. Constable.
Mr. Robert Craig, “Tapuika,” Waipipi, near Waiuku, is a native of Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland, and was born in 1835. He followed farming in his native place, and in 1854 left for the gold diggings in Australia, where he went to the Ovens, and for two years followed the uncertain pursuit of gold seeking. Mr. Craig succeeded fairly well, and returned Home, whence he proceeded to America, with the intention of settling. Not satisfied with the prospects there, Mr. Craig returned to Melbourne, and after a short stay went back to Scotland, and in 1859 came to Auckland by the ship “Tornado.” After spending some time looking for land he bought a partly improved farm near Papakura. At the first sale of the confiscated land in Waiuku, in 1865, he purchased his present fine property. It was then in its wild and native state, and portions of it were covered with heavy bush. He, however, soon improved the land by cultivation, and it is now laid down in good grass Messrs Craig and W. J. Harris were the first purchasers of land in the district. Mr. Craig's property contains about 351 acres of fine country, and carries a large flock of Lincoln sheep, besides numerous cattle and horses. Mr. Craig was for years a member of the Waipipi Road Board, but although requested to stand for re-election, the state of his health compelled him to refuse. He was a member of the old Forest Rifles, and during the Maori troubles was a member of the Otahuhu Cavalry Volunteers, under the late Captain Hutton. Mr. Craig married Miss Wallace, of the Otahuhu district, in 1866, and has a family of four sons and six daughters, of whom one daughter is married.
Mr. William Currie, Old Colonist, was born in North Leith, Scotland, in 1821. At the age of thirteen he was apprenticed on the yacht “Earl of Whims,” which was wrecked on the rancaster coast of Norfolk, and eleven of the passengers were drowned. He left Home in 1838, for Sydney, by the barque “Cornwall,” which conveyed one of the first batches of emigrants to the Antipodes. Shortly after arrival, the vessel was chartered to take troops to quell a riot in the Norfolk Island settlement; five of the ringleaders were brought back, and suffered the extreme penalty of the law at Sydney. On his return from Norfolk Island, Mr. Currie was engaged in trading to Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne; and in getting the vessel to the landing place at Melbourne, they had to cut the limbs of the overhanging native trees. In 1840 Mr. Currie arrived at the Bay of Islands, from Sydney, by the schooner “Kate,” belonging to Mr. Joseph, a merchant of that place. On arriving in Auckland he went to Wade, where he was engaged in the timber trade, and took contracts to supply timber at the Waikato Heads (where there was a Mission Station), timber for Dr. Maunsell's house, and at Orua Bay, Manukau Heads, timber for the erection of the house of the late Rev. Mr. Hamlin, and also for the Rev. Mr. Whitley, at Kawhia. Captain Currie purchased the schooner “Victory,” and for some years carried on a very successful trade between Kawhia, Raglan, and Auckland. After disposing of the “Victory,” he purchased a cutter and took a contract from the Government to supply timber to the Pensioners' Settlement at Otahuhu. He and Captain Rough were employed by the Government to survey the Waiuku creek and township. On the completion of this contract, Captain Currie, with his partner, Mr. Cummings, went to Sydney, and purchased a brigantine, which they named the “William and James,” and brought back a cargo consigned chiefly to Mr. David Nathan, and carried also potatoes and timber, and a number of passengers. After discharging he sailed for San Francisco, where he had to remain some time awaiting a return cargo. Mr. Cummings subsequently sold out his interest in the schooner to Mr. Edward Constable, who was afterwards a prominent figure in Waiuku. Returning to Auckland, Captain Currie purchased the corner allotment of Victoria and Chapel Streets and erected the Aurora hotel in 1851, first opening it as a grocer's shop, and obtaining a license in the following year. Here he carried on a prosperous business until 1857, when he leased the premises to Mr. John Rule, and afterwards disposed of the freehold. He then purchased that fine block of land at the corner of Wellesley and Hobson Streets, which he still owns. In 1857 he went to Waiuku, and was soon busily engaged in the cartage of native produce on the portage road from Awaroa river to Waiuku, employing a number of teams. The business continued to prosper until the Maori war broke out, when the settlers fled to Onehunga. On the settlement of the native trouble, Captain Currie purchased his present property, then in its wild state, but now in perfect cultivation. Captain Currie married, in 1850, Miss. Watson, eldest daughter of Mr. James Watson, civil engineer, Sydney, and out of a family of fourteen, eleven are still alive and prospering in various parts of the country. Two of his sons—the youngest—Captain S. D. Currie and Trooper George Currie, served with the New Zealand troops during the South African war. All his daughters are married, except Miss Currie, who lives with her parents.
Mr. W. Currie.
Mr. John Hull, J.P., Park Farm, is one of the pioneers of the district, and was born in 1826, in Somerset, England, and educated in Germany. He came to Auckland in 1854, and learned farming with the late Hon. John Salmon, at Wairoa South. In 1855 he went to Waiuku, and purchased his present property, which was then covered with ti-tree and fern. During the boom at the Thames goldfield, in 1896, Mr. Hull was smitten with the gold fever, but unfortunately his speculations proved anything but successful. He has been for many years connected with local matters, and was for some time chairman of the road board. Mr. Hull is one of the oldest Justices of the Peace in the district. In 1858 he married Miss Cann, and five sons and five daughters were born of the union.
Mr. J. Hull.
Captain Arthur Wellesley Manning, J.P., Taurangaruru, Waiuku, is the son of Mr. Thomas Manning, of Corballis Castle, and grandson of Lieutenant Robert Manning, of Mount Corballis, Wicklow, Ireland. He was born in 1837, and educated at a private school at Rathdrum, in County Wicklow. In 1857, attracted by the accounts from Australia, he left his native land, and joined his brother, Mr. Edwin Manning, who was the owner of a cattle and horse farm near Mount Alexander, Victoria. About 1862 Mr. Manning arrived in Dunedin with a team of horses and a regular outfit for a store, and went carting, packing, and gold-buying in company with a cousin, Mr. William Manning. Mr. Manning was one of the first to erect a store at Fox's, and later on he built another page 685 at Stoney Creek. He was one of those who promoted the project of turning the Arrow river, near Fox's, so as to make a new water course for the purpose of getting gold from the river bed. On selling his interest in the stores Mr. Manning took charge of a lot of horse teams and had them shipped at Port Chalmers for Auckland. Later on he had charge of and an interest in a number of horses which had been brought from Sydney. The owner of the shipment became ill, and went back and died, and some of the horses were sold to the Government for the Land Transport Corps. The horses were a fine lot, eighty in number, and some of them sold as high as £120 per head. Later on Mr. Manning went to Waiuku, where he joined the late Mr. Constable, and took charge of a large store on the Awaroa, near the Waikato river. After that Mr. Manning bought the land on which he now lives. In 1866 he joined the Waiuku Volunteer Cavalry, and was connected with that corps for about thirty years, during twelve of which he held a commission, and was captain for the last five of the period. He was presented with the long service medal. Captain Manning has held the commission of a Justice of the Peace for over nine years. He has long been connected with the Waippi Road Board, and was for several years its chairman. While he held that position he and Major Hamlin, M.H.R., and Mr. J. T. Mellsop, the Board's secretary, promoted the draining and roading of the now famous swamp land near Waiuku, and was the first to prove its grass-growing value, even in its wettest parts. Captain Manning has been a member of the Manukau Licensing Committee for twenty-five years, and he is a trustee and one of the original promoters of the Waiuku recreation ground. Captain Manning has always taken a great interest in the local sports, of which he has generally been either chairman or promoter. As a Freemason he belongs to the Grand Lodge of New Zealand, and is a member of Lodge Waiuku, No. 90. In the year 1900 he was the means of forming the present Waiuku Mounted Rifles. Captain Manning is married, but has no family.
Captain A. W. Manning.
Mr. John McNaughten, J.P., Taurangaruru, Waiuku, one of the pioneer settlers, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in January, 1828. In his early years he was brought up to farming, but before leaving Home, he learned the building trade. He came to New Zealand in 1864, by the ship “Scimitar,” and landed at Auckland, where he remained about six months. Mr. McNaughten, who was in the possession of considerable means, determined to settle at Onehunga, where he purchased several allotments and proceeded to build, and there he was actively engaged in building and carpentering for about eighteen months. However, as he saw better future possibilities for his growing family in farming, he sold his interests at Onehunga and removed to Waiuku, where he purchased his present fine farm. The land was in its native state, and a considerable portion was covered with heavy bush, which he started to clear. He had numerous difficulties and hardships to contend with in the early pioneer days, but he persevered, and his farm is now one of the finest around Waiuku. Cattle are fattened on the luxuriant pastures, and dairy farming is also extensively carried on. Mr. McNaughten, since his arrival in Waiuku, has taken a prominent part in the general affairs of the district. He was for some time a member of the committee of the Church of England. He has been a member of the Waipipi Road Board for over ten years, and was for seven years chairman, and was also a member of the Waiuku school committee for some years. As a member of the old Rifle Volunteers he received the £30 scrip, which entitled him to the possession of land valued to that amount. Mr. McNaughten takes great interest in the politics of the day, and closely studies public affairs. Before leaving Home, he married Miss Redpath, of his native place, and by her cheerfulness of disposition and her courage, she helped him to overcome the many difficulties and hardships of the early pioneer days. Of the family there are six sons and three daughters now living, and one of the sons, Mr. James McNaughten, served in the Natal Light Horse with General Buller, from Ladysmith to Pretoria, in the South African war.
Mr. J. McNaughten.
Captain J. Makgill.
Mr. William Motion, one of the earliest pioneers of Auckland, and a prominent and most successful colonist, was born at Broughty Ferry, Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1820, and came to Australia in 1838, with Mr. Low, afterwards his partner. In 1839 he arrived at the Bay of Islands, and was present at the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, on which his name appears as that of a witness. In the latter end of 1839, he came to Auckland, and with his partner, Mr. Low, started the first flour mill in Auckland at Mechanic's Bay, under the style of Low and Motion. There the partners carried on a successful business for years, when they purchased land at Western Springs, erected extensive mills, and carried on a most prosperous and successful business there until 1874. The property was then acquired by the Auckland City Council for supplying the city water. On the sale of his property, Mr. Motion retired from business, and lived at his residence, Western Springs Lodge, until his death in 1894. Mr. Motion, during his long connection with Auckland and its progress, was held in the highest esteem by his numerous friends, and was respected by all for his many good qualities. He married Miss Low, daughter of his partner. She died in 1865, leaving a family of six children. He again married, in 1869, a daughter of the late Mr. John Cowie, of the Provincial Bank at Londonderry, Ireland, a very prominent man of that city, and by that marriage there were two sons, Mr. William Motion and Mr. Ivan Motion.
The late Mr. W. Motion.
Mr. Alexander Muir, Old Colonist, “Pehiakura,” Waipipi, near Waiuku, is a native of Scotland. He was brought up to farming, and came to Auckland with his parents by the “Duchess of Argyle,” in 1842. His first work in the colony was driving a winze at the copper mine. Kawau Island. After working in Webb's Hotel, Wyndham Street, Auckland, he managed Dignan's Clanricarde Hotel for three years. He then went farming, and superintended the planting of 180 acres of potatoes at Panmure for Messrs Brown, Campbell and Co. After that he became a dealer in horses, and carried on the business until the end of the Maori war. He was farming for several years at Papatoitoi, and in the Waikato, and then removed to Waipipi, where he took a lease of his present farm of 3700 acres. Three years later he acquired the freehold of this estate, 1800 acres of which are now laid down in grass, while the balance, as gum land, gives employment to about thirty gum diggers. Mr. Muir owns other large estates in the Waikato and Papatoitoi. He has been connected with the Waipipi Road Board for several years. Mr. Muir is well known as a judge of cattle and horses, and has acted as judge at the agricultural and pastoral shows at Auckland, Waikato, and Pukekohe for over thirty years. He married Miss Blunt, in 1865, and there is a family of eleven.
Mr. A. Muir.
Mr. William Sanday, Old Colonist, “Sanday Heath,” Waiuku, was born at Lostwithiel, Cornwall, England, in 1837. He was brought up to farming, and acquired a most intimate knowledge of stock. In 1861 he arrived in Auckland by the ship “Zealandia” (Captain Foster), and went to Waiuku, where he was employed in bush felling and fencing. Subsequently he was employed by the late Mr. Samuel Browning, whose extensive estate at Waiuku he managed for over twenty years. During the period of this engagement, he purchased his present valuable property of about 410 acres, which he cleared and improved by outside labour. In 1890 Mr. Sanday severed his connection with Mr. Browning, and went to reside on his own property, which contains 300 acres of the Aka Aka swamp land. Through his untiring efforts, the property has been thoroughly cleared (except that some pretty clumps of bush have been left for shelter), fenced, drained, and laid down in grass for fattening stock. Mr. Sanday is a well known breeder of blood stock; the celebrated racehorse “Waiuku,” by St. Leger out of Musket Maid, was reared by him, and also “Okoari,” full sister to “Waiuku.” Many valuable young animals running in his paddocks will do equal credit to Mr. Sanday as a breeder. During his long residence in Waiuku, Mr. Sanday has taken a prominent part in local matters, and has been for over twenty-seven years a member of the Waiuku Road Board. He has been a member of the Aka Aka Drainage Board since its formation. Mr. Sanday is unmarried.
Mr. W. Sanday.
Mr. John Scott, Waiuku, was born at Cupar, Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1826, and brought up to the profession of gardening, which he has followed in Scotland, England, and New Zealand. For about forty years previous to his arrival in this colony he was engaged with the Makgill family in Scotland, and in 1882 came to Waiuku under engagement to Captain Makgill. For some years after his arrival in New Zealand he superintended the management and ornamentation of Captain Makgill's estate at Limehill, Waiuku. In 1886 Mr. Scott retired to his present property, and now devotes his leisure hours to the various local affairs of the village. He has been a large shareholder in the Waiuku Steam Navigation Company since its early days, and has for fourteen years been a director, and half of that time, chairman of directors. Mr. Scott is a widower, and has no family.
Mr. J. Scott.