The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Mangawhare, situated on the Wairoa river, at a distance of about 103 miles from Auckland, is the oldest established trading station in Hobson County. Until recently this district was the property of Dr. J. Logan Campbell, who sold it to Messrs A. E. Harding and Co. Mangawhare has a post and telephone office, a large hotel, a store with a gum shed, Roman Catholic and Wesleyan churches, two halls, and a county wharf. The village is a small one, as, until lately, the land has been withheld from sale, but as it is divided from Dargaville only by the Kaihu creek—which is already bridged—the two townships will in course of time become one.
Norton, Frederick, J.P., Medical Practitioner, Mangawhare. Mr. Norton was born in Northampton in 1842, and educated at Oundle Public School. He walked St. George's Hospital for three years and in 1863 came to New Zealand in the “Helvellyn,” obtaining a position in the Government service in which he remained for a short period. In 1868, he was appointed dispenser and house-surgeon at the Auckland provincial hospital. He retained the position for nine years and then removed to Dargaville. He was chairman of the Dargaville Town Board, judge for the local racing club, has been a Justice of the Peace for over twenty years, and was one of the founders of the Masonic lodge, of which he is at present a member. He was also chairman of the school committee. Mr. Norton married a daughter of the Rev. Thomas Brown Brady, M.A., County Clare, Ireland, and has two sons and one daughter living.
Mr. F. Norton.
Mansill, Charles Henry, Builder and Contractor, Mangawhare. Mr. Mansill was born in Wellington in 1859 and educated at the Te Aro school. He learned his trade with Mr. F. W. Richards, of Wellington, where he spent a number of years, and afterwards undertook contracts on his own account. He visited Australia for some time and eventually in 1891 settled at Mangawhare, where he purchased a property page 626 and has resided ever since, doing a good business. Amongst the buildings he has erected may be mentioned Mr. Harding's house, the Mangawhare Hall, the Aoroa school, and Mr. Downey's house, Mr. Mansill is a member of the Order of Oddfellows and secretary of the Mangawhare Cricket Club. He is married to a daughter of Mr. H. E. Stehr, formerly manager of the Aratapu sawmill, and has two sons.
Mr. C. H. Mansill.
Brown, Campbell and Co., General Merchants, Importers, etc. The headquarters of this firm, which is one of the oldest in the province, are in Auckland, and Mangawhare is one of its numerous country branches.
Mr. Frederick Friend Day, Manager for Messrs. Brown, Campbell and Co., Mangawhare, was born in Illinois, United States of America, in 1852. He went to England when a child and came to Auckland with his parents in 1857, and was educated at Mr. Gorrie's Academy and at St. Paul's. For a number of years he acted as general manager for the Una Quartz Mining Company at the Thames, then went to Coromandel, where he put down the shaft at the Conquering Hero and Premier mines. He afterwards became general manager of the Kamo Colliery Company, which position he held for eight years. In 1894 he left Kamo and was appointed general manager for Messrs. Brown, Campbell and Co., at Mangawhare. Mr. Day was chairman of the Kamo Town Board for ten years, and also for a long time chairman of the school committee and licensing board. Both at the Thames and at Kamo, he was treasurer and a vestry-man of the Episcopal church at those places, and superintendent of the Sunday school at the Thames. He is a commissioner of the school and chairman of the library committee at Dargaville, and a Justice of the Peace for the Colony. He is also president of the Mangawhare Football Club and Choral Society, and vice-president of the Mutual Improvement Society. Mr. Day is married to a sister of the Hon. A. J. Cadman, formerly Minister of Mines, and has two daughters and one son.
Marriner, William Arthur, General Storekeeper, Mt. Wesley, Mangawhare. Mr. Marriner was born in Hokianga in 1839, and ten years later accompanied his parents to Mangawhare. He was educated at Wesley College, Auckland, and subsequently had five years experience at sea and was second mate of the barque “Signet.” Deciding to give up seafaring life, he became manager of the native business at Mr. Atkins' store. In 1862 Mr. Atkins retired, and the business was taken ever by Dr. Campbell. In 1879 Mr. Marriner left the employ of Messrs. Brown, Campbell and Co., leased a gumfield of 2000 acres at Port Albert, Kaipara, at which place he carried on business for one year, and then removed to Mt. Wesley, where he erected a large store. He also leased from the Government a block of land called Maungonui Bluff for two years, where he put up branch stores. At the expiration of this lease, he then leased from Mr. A. Harding the right to dig and remove gum from his Aoroa block of 14,000 acres. In 1895 he had the misfortune to be burnt out, after which he decided not to go into business again but to go into practice as a licensed interpreter. Mr. Marriner resides at Mt. Wesley, where he has a beautiful residence, being also a very popular man and much esteemed in the district; but though often pressed to enter public life, has always refused to do so. Mr. Marriner has been twice married; firstly, to Emily Boult, daughter of Mr. E. Boult, of Whangarei. This lady died through an accident received by falling from a horse, and left three young sons. Mr. Marriner's second wife was Mary Douglas, daughter of Mr. W. J. Douglas, of Tauranga. She died on the 1st of November, 1895, leaving four sons and one daughter.
Mr. W. A. Marriner.