The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Tynan, John Magee
Tynan, John Magee, Runholder, Cattle Dealer, Gum Buyer, and General Storekeeper, Waihopo, Bankers, Union Bank of Australia, Auckland. Mr. Tynan has an extensive property comprising 2400 acres freehold of partly reclaimed swamp, and 20,000 acres leased from the Government. The run is one of the best in the North and comprises first-class feeding and grazing country. There are about 350 head of cattle on the run and a considerable portion of the land is devoted to the cultivation of maize, wheat, oats, etc. The beauty of the property is enhanced by a luxuriant growth of plantations of the Australian silver wattle. Mr. Tynan has a very large store 43 x 25 feet, with a gum-shed 33 x 30 feet in extent, and his extensive business includes the purchase and sale of gum, ambergris, horses, cattle, and general merchandise. Although employing a large staff of sorters and experts, he always personally attends to the gum buying branch, which amounts to about £8000 annually. The gum is usually shipped to Mr. W. S. Whitley and sold in Auckland, seldom if ever being stored in the city for any length of time. Tekao settlement is distant about twelve miles north and Hohoura about five miles south from Mr. Tynan's headquarters, but his trade extends considerably beyond these limits. For the convenience of many of his customers, he has added butchering to the general business. Mr. Tynan was born at Monaghan, north of Ireland, in 1855, and as a young man worked at Ballinasloe in the west. He came to New Zealand in 1876 by the “Orari” and was for two years engaged in the baking trade, after which he started farming, gave that up for bus-driving, and finally entered the service of the Union Sash and Door Company by which he was given charge of its Tairua store, where he remained for nearly two years, leaving to proceed to Fiji. On his return from the Islands he worked at Aratapu and was associated with Messrs. Jackson and Co., for eight years, during which period he went to Whangaroa and had charge of their branches at Awanul Heads, Waipapakauri, Tekao, and other places. In 1888 he sold out his interest and started his present business. Mr. Tynan is a member of the school committee, secretary of the Waihopo Racing Club, and has been a prominent Mason for many years. He is married to a daughter of the late Mr. J. A. Subritzky, reliet of the late Mr. Moore, and has three sons and three daughters.
Mr. J. M. Tynan.