The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
The Traveller's Rest Hotel
The Traveller's Rest Hotel (Joseph Evans, proprietor), Waipapakauri, was established in 1890 by Mr. Evans, and is a two-storey wooden building containing seventeen rooms. There are twelve bedrooms, two parlours (one a private parlour), large dining-room, and a billiard-room fitted up with a first-class table by Alcock. The dining-table can comfortably seat thirty-five people and the bedrooms are lofty and nicely furnished, the domestic management being conducted by Mrs. Evans assisted by her daughter. The house is well patronised by commercial travellers generally and adjacent settlers, as well as being the favorite stopping-place for gum diggers.