J.P., General Storekeeper, Mongonui. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales, Auckland. Agent for the Northern Steamship Company and South British Insurance Company. Mr. Wyles established his business as far back as 1862 and it now occupies one of the best positions in Mongonui, on a fine section facing the harbour. The premises are of two stories, with a total floor space of over 1600 square feet. There are also commodious sheds. During the seventies Mr. Wyles had a partner and the business was on a very extensive seale, the firm keeping a small fleet of vessels engaged in trading between the Bay of Islands and North Cape. On the retirement of his partner, Mr. Wyles sold out his business branches at Awanul and Whangaroa, and has since only carried on the one at Mongonui, where by reasonable prices and strict attention he has been more than ordinarily successful. Mr. Wyles was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1833, and educated at the borough school, followed the calling of a draper in Kirkealdy, afterwards in Dublin and later was buyer for a Glasgow firm. He landed in Auckland per ship “Matoaka” in 1859 and took up land outside
the township of Mongonui. Finding this life uncongenial he gave up farming after three years' trial and established himself in business. Mr. Wyles is a past master in Freemasonry and has been a Justice of the Peace for over twenty years. He sat as a member of the first Mongonui County Council and occupied a seat on the local road board for many years.