The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Grey Lynn is a large suburban borough lying to the south-west of Auckland, and adjoining the city. It is divided into three wards—Sussex, Surrey and Richmond. The two first-named were formerly known as the Surrey Hills Estate, for many years the property of the late Hon. James Williamson. On the formation of the district into a borough, in 1885, it was named Newton, but recently the name was changed to page 524 the more euphonious appellation of Grey Lynn. The borough comprises the district south of Cox's Creek, bounded by the Richmond, Ponsonby and Great North Road. It consists of undulating land, and is dotted with large clumps of trees. The average level is considerably higher than that of Auckland city, and it is recognised as a healthy suburb. One of the best views of the beautiful Mount Eden is obtainable from Grey Lynn; to the north, overlooking Ponsonby, the glimmering, placid waters of the Waitemata are seen; and on the south-west, the horizon is formed by the Waitakerei Ranges, which genially shelter the district from the cold southerly winds. The visitor is struck with the new and neat appearance of the buildings—not an old residence is to be seen, and in every part of the borough building is in full swing. This sign of progress is not to be wondered at, considering that, apart from its other advantages, sections are cheaper there than in any other district adjacent to the city. Yet as the land is being so rapidly taken up the prices of property are continually advancing, and local residents who bought sections a few years ago could now sell them at treble their purchase prices.
The Borough Of Grey Lynn contains 800 ratable properties, owned by 720 ratepayers, and has an area of 900 acres. The rates levied are, a general rate of 1s in the £, a special rate of 4d, a charitable aid rate of 3d, and a water rate of from four to six per cent. The annual vatue of ratable property is £26,000, and the borough has a population of 4100 persons.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. Robert Taylor Warnock, was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1844, and arrived in Auckland on the 21st of October, 1862, accompanied by his two brothers, with whom, in the same year, he established the now well known firm of Warnock Brothers, soap and candle manufacturers. In 1874 Mr. Robert Warnock took office in the Newton Road Board, of which he was continuously chairman for thirteen years and a half. The district was then merged into the borough of Newton, of which Mr. Warnock was elected first mayor, and held the position for two years and a half. Mr. Warnock then became a councillor; and in 1899, shortly after the name of the borough was changed to that of Grey Lynn, and important changes were being urged, the services of Mr. Warnock were again sought, and he was elected mayor. When Mr. Warnock first entered public life, about twenty-seven years ago, there were only eighty people in the borough, as against 4100 who now reside in the district. At the election on the 24th of April, 1901, Mr. Warnock was again returned as mayor with a majority of 218.
Hanna, photo.Mr. R. T. Warnock.
Councillor Thomas Booth, Member of the Grey Lynn Borough Council, was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1827, and arrived in Auckland in 1859, by the ship “Tornado.” He entered the flour mills of Mr. Firth as assistant engineer, and occupied that position till 1890, when he was compelled to retire in consequence of an accident whereby he lost his arm.
Councillor Alexander Donald, who was elected in 1887 to represent the Richmond Ward in the Grey Lynn Borough Council, has held that position ever since, and was re-elected at the top of the poll in April, 1901. Mr. Donald has always been a strong advocate for the introduction of a thorough drainage system, and during his long term of office has rendered faithful service to the borough. He was born in 1849, in Scotland, where he gained considerable experience in tanning and fellmongery; and has followed the business with great success.
Councillor John Farrell, Member of the Grey Lynn Borough Council, was first elected for Sussex Ward in 1899, and was again returned at the election of the 24th of April, 1901. He is a son of Mr. John Farrell, well known as a member of the Auckland Education Board, and was born in Auckland in 1868, and educated at the Thames High school. Mr. Farrell was apprenticed to his father, with whom he gained a thorough knowledge of the carpentering trade.
Councillor Robert Foster was elected to the Grey Lynn Borough Council on the 21th of April, 1901. He was born in Auckland, in 1851, and, after receiving his education at the Wesley College, was apprenticed to the building trade, in which he has always been very successful.
Councillor Robert Hall, who was elected to the Grey Lynn Borough Council on the 24th of April, 1901, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1871. He is a partner in the firm of Messrs Hall and Perkins, auctioneers, City Market, Auckland.
Councillor Charles McMaster was elected to the Grey Lynn Borough Council on the 24th of April, 1901. He has been a member of the local school committee for seventeen years.
Councillor Arthur James Parker, Member of the Grey Lynn Borough Council, was first elected in October, 1900, and was returned at the top of the poll in April, 1901. Mr. Parker was born in the Thames, in 1869, and is an engineer by trade. He has always taken a great interest in football, and has played in several representative matches.
Councillor John Rosser, who has been a member of the Grey Lynn Borough Council since 1899, was born in Swansea, Wales, England. He came out to the colonies in 1872, and is a contractor in connection with the building trade.
Councillor R. W. White, Member of the Grey Lynn Borough Council, was elected on the 24th of April, 1901. He was born in Auckland, and has for many years been connected with the building trade.
Mr. John Currie, Town Clerk, Treasurer, Valuator, and Rate Collector, of Grey Lynn, was appointed in 1885, when the Newton Road Board, of which he had been clerk for two years, was transformed into the Newton Borough Council. Throughout his long term of office Mr. Currie has fulfilled his duties—which recently have greatly increased through the rapid advancement of the district—with the utmost credit to himself and satisfaction to the borough. Mr. Currie was born in 1835, in Glasgow, Scotland, where he was educated. He arrived in New Zealand in 1863, and settled at Auckland in the early part of 1864.
Mr. Thomas Faulder, who was elected as a councillor of the Borough of Newton in 1889, was a man much respected by his fellow citizens. He was born on the 24th of June, 1838, at Braithwaite, near Keswick, Cumberland, England, and was educated at Cockermouth College. Mr. Faulder was apprenticed to the drapery trade with an uncle and at the age of nineteen years left England for Australia by the “Royal Charter, which was wrecked on the voyage. He was very successful for several years on the goldfields of Victoria, and sold out his interest there with the intention of returning to the land of his birth, but following the advice of friends he came to this Colony. After residing in Otago for a short time, and for three years in Christchurch, he went to Auckland in 1868, and established himself as a builder and contractor. In 1889 he retired to his residence “West Home,” Richmond, where he died on the 13th of February, 1897, after an illness patiently born for seven months. Mrs. Faulder was left with a family of five sons and five daughters.
Mr. Andrew Holden was for five years a Member of the Newton Borough Council. At his second election he contested the seat with Mr. Charles Bates, and secured two-thirds of the votes polled, but when Mr Holden removed his private residence to Remuera he resigned his seat and was succeeded by Mr. T. C. Brown. He was born at Bradford, Yorkshire, and is a nephew of the late Sir Isaac Holden, Bart., of Keighley, who had the largest wool-combing mills in the world at St. Denis, Rheims and Croix in France, and at Bradford, Yorkshire. Mr. Holden was educated at the French Protestant school at St. Denis, France, and then went to Glasgow, where he learnt the trade of a watchmaker. In December, 1879, he came to Auckland by the barque “Inglewood,” and shortly afterwards established himself in business at the Thames. Two years later he returned to Auckland, and was appointed to the position of manager for Messrs Stewart, Dawson and Co., the well-known wholesale and retail watchmakers and jewellers. Mr. Holden was for some time secretary of the Auckland Bowling Club and was one of the promoters of the Remuera Bowling Club. In church matters he belongs to the Baptists; but filled many positions in the Old Country as a member of the Wesleyan Church. He has been a member of the Remuera school committee for four years, and is a life long total abstainer. Mr. Holden is married and has one daughter and two sons.
Mr. A. Holden.
Mr. Andrew Cooper Riggs, who was elected to the Newton Borough Council in 1885 when the borough was formed, sat till 1894, when he did not seek re-election. No other member of the council has, so far, sat for so many consecutive years. For nearly his whole term of office he was chairman of the streets committee, and he acted as mayor for a time. The water scheme was initiated and carried out during his term, and so were numerous contracts for road-making and drainage. Mr. Riggs was born in Dorsetshire in 1831, and was brought up to the building trade at Blandford. After finishing his apprenticeship he went to London, where he married and established himself in business as a builder and contractor. In 1860 Mr. Riggs came to New Zealand by the ship “Robert Small,” and landing at Lyttelton, went on to Christchurch, where he settled and started in the building trade. He removed to Wellington in 1866, was in business at Marton for sixteen years, during which he erected the Town Hall, Sir William Fox's residence at Westoe, and the whole of the township of Crofton also for Sir William Fox. In February, 1885, Mr. Riggs landed in Auckland, where he carried on business as a builder and contractor till 1892, when he established his present business, that of a land agent in Karangahape Road, Auckland. Mr. Riggs is a prominent member of the Rechabites, and other temperance societies, and has held the position of District Chief Ruler, and secretary. While he was at Marton, he organised a branch of Rechabites in that town. Mr. Riggs filled the post of past master and past grand treasurer to the Orange institution of New Zealand, and was at different times chairman, secretary, and treasurer of the Marton and Crofton public schools. His volunteer experience extended over sixteen years in Christchurch and at Marton; and while at Marton he was a member of the vestry of the Anglican Church Mr. Riggs is married to a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Richardson, of Tottenham Court, London, and has three sons and two daughters.
Mr. A. C. Riggs.
Newton West Public School contains seven class-rooms, besides rooms for the head-master and his assistant. The number of children on the roll is 602, with an average attendance of 545. The teaching staff consists of the head-master and six assistants, four of these being ladies. The school has been considerably enlarged since it was erected.
Mr. Alfred Webber, Headmaster of the Newton West Public School, was born at Lewisham, Kent, in 1860, and received his education at Dulwich College. Leaving school, he visited France and Scotland, and afterwards travelled through New Zealand and some of the Pacific Islands. Having settled down in the Colony, Mr. Webber was engaged in teaching at Riverton under the Southland Education Board, and afterwards at the South Dunedin school under the Otago Board. About 1880 he moved to Auckland, and filled the positions successively of first assistant at Waiokaraka school, Thames, head-master at Rangiaohia, Waikato, and first assistant master at Parnell, receiving his present appointment in 1889. Mr. Webber devotes a great deal of his time to the teaching of science in the school, and has spent a considerable sum in procuring the necessary apparatus. He is an old footballer and cricketer, having represented Dulwich College in days gone by.
Mr. John Campbell, First Assistant at Newton West Public School, was born in Bolton, Lancashire, in 1866, and educated at the Manchester Grammar School. After teaching for three years in Bolton, he went to London for a two years' course of studies. In 1888 he came out to Australia and crossed over to New Zealand. Since that time Mr. Campbell has been in the service of the Auckland Education Board, his first school having been at Opuawhanga. He paid a year's visit to the Old Country, and returned to the colony in 1892.
St. Peter's Presbyterian Church. This church, which now stands at the corner of the Great North Road and Brisbane Street, was erected in 1884 in Rose Road, Surrey Hills. Fourteen years later the Presbytery removed the building from its original site to its present position. The church is well arranged in every respect, and has seat accommodation for 350 persons. It was completed at a cost of £700, including the site; and on the 5th of February, 1899, the new church was opened under the charge of the Rev. R. Sommerville.
The Rev. Robert Sommerville, of St. Peter's Presbyterian Church, Grey Lynn, was born at Banksfoot, Perthshire, Scotland, where his father was minister of the United Presbyterian Church. He arrived in Auckland in 1863, and was shortly afterwards sent by the Presbytery to take charge of the Whau district. Whilst engaged in his duties there he unfortunately met with an accident, which caused hemorrhage of the lungs, and, page 526 acting under medical advice, he tendered his resignation to the Presbytery. For some years he engaged in commercial pursuits, but when his health improved he resumed ministerial work, and was placed in charge of Devonport, where he remained for eighteen months. The members of that congregation were so satisfied with his labours that they petitioned the Presbytery to appoint Mr. Sommerville as their permanent pastor. In the meanwhile the Whau church also presented a similar call, and he was appointed to that charge in February, 1876. In 1879 he was appointed Moderator of Auckland Presbytery, and in December of the same year was elected Clerk of Presbytery, and still holds that office. In 1883 Mr. Sommerville was appointed Moderator of the General Assembly, and has since held various offices in his church. He is one of the trustees under the Presbyterian Church Property Act, 1885, and manages the Church properties in the Auckland provincial district. In 1885 Mr. Sommerville was called and inducted to the newly formed charge of St. Peter's, Surrey Hills, and has ever since officiated there with much acceptance. Mr. Sommerville was for ten years editor of the “Presbyterian Church News,” but was compelled to relinquish the position on account of ill-health.
The Bank Of New Zealand, Grey Lynn. The Grey Lynn branch of the Bank of New Zealand is domiciled in a two-storey brick building, which was erected in 1900 m Karangahape Road. The upper floor is let for offices.
Mr. Francis Henry Templer, Manager of the Grey Lynn Branch of the Bank of New Zealand, was born in Wellington, Somersetshire, England, educated at Norwich, and brought up to banking in London, where he joined the staff of the Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Templer came out to Australia in 1870, in the service of that Bank and was in Melbourne and Queensland before coming to New Zealand in 1875. In 1882, Mr. Templer joined the Bank of New Zealand, and was appointed to the managership of the Grey Lynn branch in 1893. He was married, in 1883, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Connell, and has one son.
National Bank Of New Zealand, Limited (Newton branch), corner of Karangahape Road and Howe Street. The bank building is of two stories, in brick, and the bank's business premises are on the ground floor.
Mr. Alexander Mchardy, Manager of the Newton Branch of the National Bank of New Zealand, Ltd., was born in Aberdeensure, Scotland, in 1866. He came to Port Chalmers by the s.s. “Kaikoura,” in 1885, and engaged in farming in Taranaki for a short time. In 1887 he joined the National Bank as a clerk at New Plymouth, and in eighteen months was transferred to Auckland. A year later he returned to New Plymouth, but in 1891, was again called to Auckland, where he became sub-accountant in 1897. Mr. McHardy has been manager at Newton since September, 1899. He was married, in 1899, to the only daughter of the late Mr. Robert Whyte, of Wauchope House, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Auckland Savings Bank (Grey Lynn Branch), Ponsonby Road, opposite Reservoir. The building was erected in 1885, and was renovated at a cost of £400 in 1900. It is of two stories, is of brick and cement, and contains eleven rooms, including a large banking chamber. On the 30th of June, 1900, there were 6000 depositors at the branch, with credit balances aggregating £63,000.
Mr. Clement Bartley, Manager of the Grey Lynn Branch of the Auckland Savings Bank, is referred to in another article as an ex-councillor of the Borough of Birkenhead.
Jamieson, James, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Karangahape Road, Auckland. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. This business was established by Mr. Jamieson, senior, in 1890, and the hairdressing saloon is under the management of his son, Mr. William F. Jamieson, who served his time with Mr. Coleman, of Auckland, and is thoroughly proficient in his business. The saloon is a good one, and being in a central position in Newton, it secures its fair amount of public support, and the Mutual Cigar Divan is well and favourably known to a large circle of customers in that part of the city Mr. Jamieson, senior, is well known in connection with municipal matters. The firm imports directly and extensively from the Home country, and the best brands of tobacco are stocked. The saloon is fitted with all the latest appliances, including two American saloon chairs.