The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Mount Eden Road District occupies the immediate background of Auckland city, and extends to the western foot of its crowning peak Mount Eden, which rises about 644 feet above the surrounding country. A few years ago the district was little more than a broken volcanic area of stone-covered land, but it is now (1901) one of the favourite residential suburbs of Auckland. This rapid advancement is due not only to the scenic attractions, with which nature has dowered the district, but also to wise and prudent administration ably conducted by a committee of five local men. The train passing through the district affords rapid communication with the city, and there is also a continuous omnibus service.
Mount Eden Public School. The recreation ground attached to the school is four acres in extent. The schoolhouse itself contains ten rooms, and the number on the roll is 617. Mr. Alfred Hosking is headmaster, and is aided by a staff of twelve assistant and pupil teachers. The school has been successful in winning the Rawlings, Grammar School, and District Scholarships. Mr. J. V. D. Connell, a member of the First Contingent in the Boer war, was sometime a pupil in the school, and in the class room in which he formerly worked, there is a memorial brass tablet, commemorating his death in the fight at Rendsburg, on the 15th of January, 1900. In the school grounds there is a flagstaff, 55 feet high. The movement of flying the flags in connection with the public schools was originated by Mr. Hosking, and the first public school flag was unfurled by his Excellency the Governor, the Earl of Ranfurly, on the 18th of May, 1900 (Mafeking Day).
Mr. Alfred Hosking is an Englishman. He served five years as a pupil teacher in the Penzance Wesleyan day school, obtained a first-class Queen scholarship, and was tranted and certificated at the Westminster Training College, London. In 1868 he emigrated to Melbourne, where he filled the position of senior resident master at Wesley College for three years and a half, when he bought the St. Kilda College, which he successfully conducted for eight years. On coming to Auckland Mr. Hosking entered the service of the Board of Education, and was appointed to Pukekohe West school. In 1883 he was transferred to Mount Eden. Since he became headmaster the present school has been built, and twice enlarged, the attendance has increased from 137 in 1883 to 527 in 1900. Mr. Hosking was for twenty years an enthusiastic volunteer, and in 1874 won the Victorian Rifle Association's gold medal and Governor's prize, and consequently was champion shot of Victoria. This corresponds to the belt man in New Zealand and the Queen's prizeman in England.
Professional, Commercial and Industrial.
Rowley, John C., Painter, New North Road, Eden Terrace District.
Edwards, Joseph, Engineer, Mount Eden. Mr. Edwards was born in Cheshire, in 1848, and is a son of Mr. Joseph Edwards, engineer, of North Staffordshire, where he was brought up and educated. He was for some time employed under his father's successor, to whom he was apprenticed as an engineer. In 1869 he went to America, where he spent four years at his trade, and then returned to England. He served a term of five years with Messrs Hoe and Co., the noted printing machinery makers. After serving four years as engineer and machinist on the “Glasgow Herald,” Mr. Edwards came to New Zealand by the ship “Otago” in 1879, and landed at Port Chalmers. He and his brother set up in business at Ashburton as importers of agricultural machinery, but this employment did not prove congenial, and Mr. Edwards removed to Auckland in 1880, and accepted the position of engineer on the “New Zealand Herald.” He erected not only the first Webb machinery in Auckland, but the first of its kind in the Colony. Mr. Edwards is a Freemason.
Hayle Bros. (Frederick and Albert Hayle), Wholesale and Retail Family Butchers, Mount Eden Road, Mount Eden. This business was established by the Messrs Hayle Bros, in 1882. The freehold property of the firm has a frontage to the Mount Eden Road of forty-two feet, of which the shop occupies over eighteen feet. It is both a cash and family, but principally a cash trade, and was established on those lines. Messrs Hayle Bros, are doing a steadily increasing business. They are large purchasers at the markets, and as the expenses in connection with the business are on a small scale, they can supply meats at a low price, and at the same time of the best quality. They have complete machinery for the production of all the necessary small goods in the trade. The brothers are of English parentage, were born at Home, and came to New Zealand by the ship “British Empire” about 1880. Prior to opening their present business they were employed by one of the leading butchers of Auckland.