The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Remuera is about two miles from Auckland, and is bounded on the north by the Waitemata shore. The affairs of the district are administered by a public-spirited road board. There is railway communication between the city and Remuera, which has well kept roads and pleasant avenues, and is surrounded on three sides by the attractive sister suburbs of Newmarket, Parnell, Ellerslie and St. Helier's Bay. As a place of residence Remuera is very popular. The fertility of its volcanic land is everywhere apparent in the freshness of the verdure, which clothes roadside, avenue and hill. Electric trams are (August, 1901) expected soon to connect Remuera with Auckland.page 522
The Venerable Archdeacon Lonsdale Pritt, B.A., sometime Incumbent of St. Mark's, Remuera, and Archdeacon of Waikato, was the youngest son of Mr. George Ashley Pritt, of 10, Cleveland Gardens, Hyde Park, London, and of Wallasey, Chester. He was born in Lancashire, in 1821, or 1822, and was educated at the Charterhouse School, where he was contemporary with Sir George Bowen (afterwards Governor of New Zealand), Sir Charles Du Cane, and Dean Jacobs, of Christchurch, New Zealand. From Charterhouse he proceeded to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he took his B.A. degree in 1844. In 1845 he was ordained deacon by Dr. Monk, Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, in the parish of St. Margaret, in the city of Westminster, and priest in 1848 by the same bishop. Not long afterwards he was attracted by Bishop Selwyn's labours in New Zealand, and on that prelate's advice he qualified himself for church work in the colony by gaining practical experience. When Bishop Hobhouse came to Nelson, in 1855. Mr. Pritt joined his staff and was appointed his chaplain. About 1858 he left Nelson, and joined the Melanesian Mission, the headquarters of which were then at Kohimarama, and for more than eight years he was right hand to Bishop Patteson in that important work. Under his care the central school, which had been but imperfectly organised, became a model, and his unremitting ministrations through more than one period of sickness and terrible anxiety are frequently alluded to in Miss Yonge's “Life of Bishop Patteson.” He was appointed Archdeacon of Waikato, in 1871, by Dr. Cowie, Bishop of Auckland, and now Primate of New Zealand, and was one of the Governors of St. John's College. Archdeacon Pritt was a man of much individuality, nicety of perception, and great power of organisation, and had one of the finest and most valuable libraries in the colony. In 1863 he married Miss Mary Ottersen, of Nelson. She died in the Waikato, and in 1876 he married the youngest daughter of Mr. Williams, of Fairfield, Auckland. Archdeacon Pritt was Incumbent of St. Mark's, Remuera, in 1872, and under his fostering care the parish increased rapidly, and became noted for its contributions to Home Mission work. After holding it for about thirteen years, he resigned his cure in consequence of ill health, and died on the 21st of October, 1885.
Montpellier Nursery (D. Hay and Son, proprietors), Hobson's Bay. Established 1855. Telephone, 761. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This beautiful nursery is one of the oldest and best known in Auckland, having been established by the late Mr. David Hay as far back as 1855. The present proprietor, Mr. David A. Hay, acquired the property on the death of his father in December, 1883, and has added largely to the gardens since that date. The property consists of about twelve acres of beautifully laid out gardens. In summer time when the sun is shining brightly over the waters of Hobson's Bay, and the many flower beds are aglow with gorgeous colours, the gardens present as pretty a picture as the eye can wish to see. They contain all kinds of strange fruits and flowers, for Mr. Hay imports from all quarters of the globe, and spares neither pains nor expense to place the latest orchids, fruit trees, etc., at the disposal of his clients. He was the first to introduce the now well-known Japanese plum, and also the Burbank and Wickson plums. The handsome catalogue issued by Messrs Hay and Son shows what a variety of dainty and delicious fruits are capable of growth in the Auckland province. That the firm is well known throughout Europe, America and the whole of the Australian colonies, is shown by the constant stream of correspondence from customers in every part of the world, and this connection has enabled Messrs Hay and Son to introduce many rare and valuable fruits and flowers. In addition to the nursery at Hobson's Bay, the firm has a branch nursery of eleven acres, near Orakei Road, Remuera, about two miles distant from the original Montpellier nurseries; and it also is replete with general nursery stock of every description.
Mr. Hay was born in Gloucestershire, England, and arrived in Auckland with his parents at an early age. He received his education at the Church of England Grammar School, and joined his father in the business, of which he assumed complete control at his father's death. At all the horticultural shows, the firm has been remarkably successful, and Mr. Hay's services as judge are eagerly sought by the various societies.