The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Including—Carriage, Coach and Tram Proprietors; Carriage and Forwarders; Express and Livery Stable Proprietors.
The Auckland Forwarding And Parcel Delivery Company (H. I. Simson, proprietor), Commerce Street, Auckland. Established 1882. Telephone 354. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This company, which has large commercial sample rooms on the premises, has agencies all through New Zealand. The proprietor also acts as local agent for the Vacuum Oil Co.; Foster's Parcel and International Express Co., London; Mullaly and Byrne, Melbourne; and Saunders and Co., Sydney.
Mr. Horace Ian Simson, the popular owner of this business, is a son of Mr. H. N. Simson, of Auckland. He was born in Victoria, came with his parents to New Zealand in 1874, and was educated at Dunedin. Shortly after leaving school he entered commercial life, and followed the profession of auctioneer and stock salesman in Southland with great success until 1897. The mining “boom” attracted him to Auckland, where he had a large connection on the Stock Exchange until he purchased his present business from Messrs Dunningham and Co. Under Mr. Simson's management the business has increased and is continually increasing. Mr. Simson has always taken great interest in athletics, and is a keen sportsman. He is a member of the Pakuranga Hunt Club. Mr. Simson married a Hawke's Bay lady, who has made herself very popular in Auckland.
Mr. H. I.Simson.
Cammell, George Samuel, Receiving and Forwarding Agent and Carrier, Auckland. page 419 Office, Queen Street Wharf; private residence, Paget Street, Ponsonby. Telephone 272. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. The proprietor of this business belongs to the men who, by steady and persistent industry, trading capacity, and thrift, have helped to make the Colonies what they are. He has been connected with the business for thirty-eight years, and was well trained as a very young man by the late Messrs H. J. Wadham and Robert Pollock. Mr. Wadham was the first person in Auckland to start as a receiving and forwarding agent, and Mr. Robert Pollock was well-known as a large carrier in those days, and with both Mr. Cammell filled the position of clerk and foreman at successive periods. After Mr. Pollock's death Mr. Cammell took over his business, and for a time was in partnership with Mr. James Ballentine, Mr. Pollock's son-in-law, and next with Captain Nearing, as receiving and forwarding agents and carriers. After the dissolution of these partnerships he began business on his own account, as a receiving and forwarding agent and carrier, and has conducted it with much success for many years. Mr. Cammell has a large connection, and in the course of each year he handles thousands of tons of goods from every part of the globe. He is, however, prepared to do even a larger trade, and will receive and forward goods from or to any part of the Colony or abroad. Mr. Cammell is a native of England, and arrived in New Zealand in 1854.
Mr. G. S. Cammell.
Tanner, H. C. N., Livery Stable Proprietor, Elliot Street, Auckland. Mr. Tanner's stables are the most centrally situated in Auckland. They have an approach from Queen Street, through Darby Street and Victoria Street, and were formerly occupied by Messrs Andrews and Son. The premises are large and most convenient, with stalls for about forty horses, and a number of loose boxes. Vehicles of all sorts can be supplied at a moment's notice, from the luxurious landau to the ordinary buggy. The building, which is of brick and iron, with about fifty four feet of frontage, faces Darby Street, and affords ample space for the accommodation of the vehicles of Mr. Tanner's customers. A groom sleeps on the premises to attend at night to the requirements of the public, and the stables are patronised by a very large section of the leading country settlers. All telegrams are immediately attended to and answered. Mr. Tanner, the proprietor, who is a son of the Rev. William William Newel Tanner, Rector of Antrabus, was born at Stow, Buckinghamshire, England. He left home in 1869 for New Zealand by the ship “Electra,” and landed at Wellington, where he joined the Armed Constabulary. He was transferred to Auckland in 1873, and remained in the force until 1888. On retiring Mr. Tanner became connected with large contracts on the Main Trunk Railway, and in road-making, and was most successful in his undertakings. He erected a large boarding-house at Otarotonga, and carried it on for four years. Seeing the increasing importance of Te Kuiti, Mr. Tanner opened a large general store there, and shortly afterwards established another at Mokau. This business increased so much that he took in a partner, and the firm traded under the name of Tanner and Johnstone. The firm opened two other branch stores in the King Country, and the business was carried on with the greatest success for over three years. Owing to the partial failure of his sight, Mr. Tanner visited England and successfully underwent an operation which was performed by the celebrated oculist, Dr. Nettleship. On his return to New Zealand he disposed of his large business concerns, and in 1896 leased the Avondale Hotel, in which he remained for two years. On disposing of that property, Mr. Tanner bought out the Onehunga-Auckland 'bus line, which he afterwards sold to the Auckland Tramway Co. He then purchased a farm at Otahuhu, and eighteen months later sold out and commenced his present business. During the Maori troubles in the Uriwera Country Mr. Tanner was stationed and saw service there for a considerable period. On the formation of the Seddon Horse, he, with his military inclinations, joined that body. Mr. Tanner married Miss Kate Stewart, of Cambridge, who was the first white lady to pass over the Waititi Viaduct, and the issue, of the marriage is one daughter. During his term in the Armed Constabulary Mr. Tanner was orderly to two Governors—Sir James Ferguson and the Marquis of Normanby. He drove the first ladies—Mrs and Miss Tanner were of the party—who travelled from Te Kuiti to Ruapehu and Te Kamo, and during six weeks of the journey none of the party slept in a house.
Winstone, W. And G. (William Winstene, George Winstone, and Fred. B Winstone), General Carriers. Forwarding Agents, and Coal Merchants, Customs Street, Auckland; Telephone 39; Yards, Customs Street West; Telephone 496; Stables and Depot. Symonds Street; Telephone 95. Mr. William Winstone, the founder of the firm, is fully referred to in the section devoted to Old Colonists.