The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Burns, John and Co.
Burns, John and Co., Hardware and General Merchants, corner of Customs and Commerce Streets, Auckland; iron store, Mechanics' Bay; London House, Brown, Douglas and Co., 24 Fenchurch Street, E.C. This large colonial business was founded in 1882, as Wingate, Burns and Co., and since 1890, when Mr. Wingate retired, has been conducted under the style of John Burns and Co. The business is chiefly wholesale; and amongst its special lines it has carriage ware, and also mining machinery from the Union Ironworks Co., of San Francisco. The firm exports flax page 377 extensively to London, New York, and even to Asia, and is also an exporter of kauri timber, gum, wool, and general produce. Besides the four-storey brick building at the corner of Customs and Commerce Streets, the firm has a large iron building at Mechanics' Bay, where it has an extensive stock of iron and bulk goods. Mr. Burns, the managing partner, is elsewhere referred as Consul for Belgium at Auckland.