The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Clothiers, Dyers, Hatters, Etc
Clothiers, Dyers, Hatters, Etc.
Belchamber and Co., Wholesale and Retail Waterproof Manufacturers, Victoria Street West, Auckland. The founders of this firm learned their business at the famous Indiarubber, Guttapercha, and Telegraph Works, London. After acquiring at this place a thorough knowledge of the many and varied branches of the trade, their services were in great demand, not only in England, but in foreign countries, and the businesses of many firms which they started are now in a flourishing condition. Subsequently, they were at S. C. Cording's establishment at Charing Cross and Regent Street, London, but in 1889, M. Lane, one of the firm, was persuaded to come to Auckland, and was the first maker of a waterproof garment in the colony of New Zealand. Since that time the industry has increased, and many articles in the waterproof and indiarubber lines, hitherto unobtainable in the colony are imported and can now be procured from this firm. The firm not only supplies the retail trade, but tailors, storekeepers, and others find it to their advantage to deal with the manufacturers. In its production the firm endeavours to supply all classes of the population. For the general public it makes ladies' and children's waterproof clothing, gentlemen's leggings, rugs, carriage rugs, etc.; while tourists, sportsmen, and travellers are catered for with hunting suits and aprons, fishing trousers and stockings, sheeting for camping out, and specially made garments for riding and driving. The firm also keeps requisites for invalids, such as bed sheeting, hot water bags and bottles, and air and water cushions and beds. Football bladders, waterproof aprons, trousers for Baptist ministers, gas bags, gas tubing and hase, bathing caps, etc., are also produced by the firm.
Brown, D. And A., Dyers, Shortland Street, Auckland. Works, Grafton Road. Established in 1866. This business, which now ranks as one of the leading dye works in the colony, was founded by the late Mr. Alexander Brown, father of the present proprietor. Mr. Brown, senior, was a dyer of sixty years' standing, and at his death Mr. A. D. Brown took over the management. Mr. A. D. Brown has had thirty years' experience, and the works cannot be excelled in the Auckland provincial district. The works are most picturesquely and conveniently situated in the “Glen” dividing Symonds Street and Grafton Road, and are well drained and abundantly supplied with water. They cover an area of about a quarter of an acre, and comprise eight sheds; and the largest and most-up-to-date plant is used. The firm is erecting a French dry-cleaning plant, which enables garments of all kinds to be cleaned without shrinking. It also imports all its dyes and dyeing material from Europe, and it can, therefore, produce all the latest and most fashionable shades.
Mr. G. H. Powley was born in Tasmania, and came as a child with his parents to New Zealand in the barque “Fanny Fisher,” from Hobart. Mr. Powley, senior, had been an English Army officer under the Government in Tasmania, and when he took his discharge he received a pension and a grant of land in New Zealand. Mr. G. H. Powley was educated at St. Matthew's Church, and after leaving school joined the Navy as a boy on H.M.S. “Niger.” He was invalided out of the service at the Chatham Hospital in 1866; and shortly afterwards he married, and returned to New Zealand in 1867. After an experience on the Thames goldfields, and in various mercantile pursuits, he started his present business in 1880. Mr. Powley joined the volunteers in 1867, and became second lieutenant of the Artillery, of which he is still a life member. He is referred to in another article as a distinguished Freemason.
Cooper, James Albert, Cap and Hat Manufacturer, Queen Street, Auckland. Mr. Cooper was born in Auckland in 1850, and educated at Cariton Academy under Mr C. B. Andrews, He was apprenticed to the well-known firm of Hill, Fenton, and Hulbert, hat manufacturers, and after completing his indentures worked as a journeyman in Melbourne and Sydney, Mr. Cooper returned to Auckland in 1882. He commenced business the same year, and now owns one of the leading establishments in Auckland. Mr. Cooper also takes an active interest in athletics generally, but more particularly in cycling and bowling. In 1802 he was initiated as a Freemason in Lodge Ponsonby, No. 51, N.Z.C., and since then he has filled the offices of J.G., J.W., S.W., and W.M., and he is now secretary of his Lodge.
Davey And Orpwood, Ladies' Underclothing Manufacturers, High Street, Auckland. Though no attempt is made at outward show, a really good business is being done by Messrs Davey and Orpwood, who have surmounted all the initial difficulties of founding a business in opposition to cheap English labour. Thirty hands are employed, and upwards of twenty-five sewing machines are kept constantly going. The machines favoured are the Wheeler, Wilson and Singer. In cases in which it is deemed to be advantageous, raw materials are imported direct from the Home markets. Only strictly wholesale houses are supplied, so, of course, the number of customers is limited, and confined to cities and large towns in the Colony. The business has been established for about twenty years.
Fowlds, George, Clothier and Importer, Victoria Arcade, Queen Street, Auckland. Telephone 336. Cable address, “Fowlds.” Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. London agents, B. S. Lloyd and Co., 40 King Street, Cheapside, London, E.C. Mr. Fowlds was born in 1860 in Ayrshire, Scotland, and was apprenticed to Messrs Stewart Bros., tailors, of Kilmarnock, and completed his term in 1878. For several years subsequently he was with the wholesale firm of Messrs William McLaren, Sons and Co., of Glasgow. In 1882, he left Scotland for South Africa, where he remained for three years, during which time he was with Messrs Wood and Co., and E. W. Tarry and Co., Limited, wholesale importers, at Kimberley, the famous diamond mining centre. Owing to his wife's health he decided to come to New Zealand in 1885, and arrived in the s.s. “Coptic.” The prevent extensive business was established in 1886, scott after his arrival. He began in a small way in Victoria Street, and in consequence of his having a thorough grasp of the business he speedily made a trade, and the page 352 premises became too small for the business. In 1888 he secured the present premises in a handsome block of buildings, five stories in height. The portion occupied by Mr. Fowlds consists of a handsome shop at the corner of Fort and Queen Streets, and two other shops ironting Queen Street, and running right through into Victoria Arcade. He also occupies the basement beneath, and three large workrooms upstairs, the total floor space being equal to 9000 square feet. From twenty-five to thirty hands find regular employment behind the counter or in the workrooms, and about £200 per month is paid away in wages. A convenient dining room is provided for the comfort of the work-people. A large general stock of the goods usually kept by a first-class tailor and outfitter is always available, and supplies are obtained largely by importations from such firms as Rylands and Sons, of London, Stewart and McDonald, and William McLaren, Sons and Co., of Glasgow. The goods are sold chiefly locally and throughout the Auckland provincial district. Mr. Fowlds has retained the services of a first-class cutter, and employs only skilled labour in the workrooms, and thus he ensures excellence in the style, fit, and finish of all his workmanship. Mr. Fowlds believes in being abreast of the times in all matters connected with the trade. His London buyers have had large experience in business, and are in a position to procure the latest designs at the earliest moment, and this enables Mr. Fowlds to offer considerable advantage to his numerous customers. As a Freemason Mr. Fowlds has been Grand Superintendent of the Auckland Province for several years, and is a Past Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. Mr. Fowlds is referred to esewhere as one of Auckland's three representatives in Parliament.
Kemp, Benjamin John Major, Merchant Tailor, Outfitter, and Shirt Maker, 123 and 125 Queen Street, Auckland. This business was established in Mannkau Road, Parnell, in 1885, by the present proprietor, who, in October, 1900, removed to his present premises in Queen Street, where, with an already valuable connection, he carries on a rapidly-increasing trade. The various lines of goods and stock are shown to first-rate advantage, and, as a gentleman's complete outfitting establishment, Mr. Kemp's ranks among the best in Auckland.
Morran, John Manners, J.P., Clothing and Mackintosh Manufacturer, Lorne Street, Auckland. Mr. Morran was born in 1857, at Woolwich, Kent, England. At the age of fourteen he embarked in the ship “Eclipse,” and visited Portugal, Madeira, Cuba, and many places in the West Indies and America. On his return he was placed with the firm of Cook, Son and Co., clothing manufacturers, at Chatham, and afterwards with Messrs B. Cohen and Co., waterproof manufacturers, of Fore Street, London, for whom his brother was manager. He thus became familiar with the best class of mackintosh manufacture, as, indirectly, the firm made for Mossrs J. C. Cording and Co, of Picadilly, who have all the rulers of Europe on their books. Mr. Morran heid the position of cutter for Mr. Thomas Knight, Messrs H. E. and M. Moses, Messrs Ryland and Sons, and Messrs Thomas and Jones, all of London. About eleven years ago the emigrated to New Zealand to embark in the business of waterproof manufacture. He landed at New Plymouth, but finding no scope there, he commenced in Elliot Street, Auckland, at first only employing ten hands. In about a year the rooms became too small for Mr. Morran's extending business, and the extension was partly due to the Government imposing extra duty on imported goods. Two other removals were found necessary on account of expansion in business, and finally he took his present premises, opposite those of Sharland and Co., in Lorne Street, where he now employs nearly 200 hands, and has the largest mackintosh trade in the Colony. Mr. Morran had a magnificent show of clothing and mackintosh garments at the Auckland Exhibition, and was awarded five special gold and four silver medals and one bronze medal. He is a very considerate employer, and has the reputation of paying the best wages in his line in Auckland, as he holds the opinion that cheap labour is dear in the end. Mr. Morran's present factory is of three floors, 80 feet by 40 feet, and is fitted with all the most improved machinery.
Hanna photo. Mr. J. M. Morran.
Hanna, photo.Mr. H. H. Seabrook.
Mr. H. H. Seabrook's Factory.