The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Patterson, John, J.P., Coachbuilder, Wheelwright, Farrier, and General Blacksmith, Corner of Upper Queen Street and Cross Street, Auckland. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, England Street, Ponsonby. This business was established by the present proprietor in 1879 on a small scale as compared with its present dimensions. The building, which is freehold, has a floorage space of 7000 square feet. Mr. Patterson's trade is for the greater part confined to coachbuilding and wheelwrighting. The machinery on the premises is of the most modern type, and includes lathes, drills, benders, and all the necessary appliances for carrying on the business on a most complete scale. Nothing but the best timber is used in the coachbuilding and wheelwrighting, and it is obtained locally for the greater part. Mr Patterson is kept regularly supplied with all the latest trade journals, and is in a position to turn out any novelties in any branch of his business, from wheelbarrows to hansom cabs, fitted up in the latest and most improved style, according to designs patented by Mr Patterson himself. The cabs thus made are second to none of their kind in Auckland. A hansom made by Mr. Patterson weighs only seven hundredweight and a half. Mr. Patterson has a good shoeing trade; and he supplies a large number of Auckland builders with all the necessary ironwork used in their business. Mr. Patterson was born in Auckland in 1855, and is a son of the late Mr. John Patterson, who arrived by the ship “Duchess of Argyle,” in 1840, and died at the advanced age of eighty-seven. Mr. Patterson was educated at St. Peter's School, and was apprenticed to the Leahy Dock Ironworks, where he remained for about thirteen years. He first entered into business on his own account in Karangahape Road, but eventually purchased the present site. Mr. Patterson was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1894, and he has been for many years a member of the Auckland Licensing Committee. He was elected the first and only president of the Auckland Coachbuilders' and Farriers' Association, and was chairman of the Pon-sonby school committee for two years. During the existence of the Royal Irish Volunteers he was a lieutenant in the corps. Mr. Patterson was for twenty years connected with the Auckland Amateur Sports Association, of which he was vice-president and a handicap-per. In politics, Mr. Patterson is a staunch supporter of Liberalism. He is married to a daughter of the late Sergeant James Clarke. Mr. Patterson is referred to in another article as a member of the Auckland City Council.