The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Bartley, Edward, Architect, Colonial Bank Buildings, 117 Queen Street, Auckland. Mr. Bartley was born in Jersey, Channel Islands, in 1839, and educated in his native place, where he also learned something of the building trade under his father, who was an architect and builder. In 1854 he came to this Colony, per ship “Joseph Fletcher,” in company with his elder brother, Mr. Robert Bartley, also a well-known and highly-respected Devonport resident. For upwards of twenty years, Mr. Bartley was in business as a builder, but for the past quarter of a century he has devoted his energies exclusively to architecture. The Auckland Savings Bank (one of the most beautiful buildings in Auckland), the Jewish Synagogue, the Opera House, Sailors' Home, Messrs Milne and Choyce's handsome block, Mr. Edson's, and many other noticeable buildings in Auckland, have been erected under the supervision and in accordance with the designs of Mr. Bartley. Of a large number of city and suburban churches, St. John's in Ponsonby Road and St. David's in Symonds Street, and Trinity Church, Devonport, may be mentioned as noteworthy specimens of his skill and judgment. He is diocesan architect for the Church of England, and has had a very wide experience of church architecture. Mr. Bartley is one of the founders of the Art Society. He is treasurer to that institution, and also chairman of the “Hanging” Committee of the City Art Gallery. As an original member of the Auckland Choral Society, established in 1855, Mr. Bartley has taken a very keen interest in musical matters, having been choirmaster of Trinity Church, Devonport, for fourteen years. Since 1871 Mr. Bartley has resided at the North Shore, and has taken a prominent part in all movements bearing on the welfare of the district, and particularly in church and educational matters. He is now and has been for many years a prominent member of the School Committee. Four years ago he started a boys' workshop in connection with the district school, and gave instruction on two nights a week for two years. This workshop is now a great success, and it took a first award at the Industrial Exhibition recently held in Auckland. Mr. Bartley is a devoted lover of science, and the scientific use of the microscope has been his hobby for over forty years. His has long been a familiar figure at social gatherings, where he has ever been ready to exhibit and explain the wonders revealed by the microscope.
Hanna, photo.Mr. E. Bartley.