The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Kilgour, James, M.D., M.R.C.S. (Edinburgh), M.P.S., Physician and Surgeon, Parnell, Auckland. Dr. Kilgour, who is the son of Dr. M. Kilgour, was born in Musselburgh, Scotland, on Christmas Day, 1812. He was educated at the local grammar school and at the Edinburgh University, where he obtained the degree of M.D. in 1838. A year later he went to Melbourne, which contained at that time about twenty habitations. Entering into pastoral pursuits, he leased the Tarrone station, near Port Fairy, but shortly afterwards returned to London as agent for the then rising young colony of Victoria. Dr. Kilgour, who was one of the victims of the unjust law under which stations at that time were held, lost all his property in Australia, amounting in value to £60,000. He remained for some years in practice in Victoria, and, in 1859, left for New Zealand. Landing at Nelson, he subsequently settled in Picton for some years, and afterwards practised in Wellington till 1869, when he left for the newly discovered Thames Goldfields. During the twenty years which Dr. Kilgour spent at the Thames, he held the positions of mayor, coroner, justice of the peace, and chairman of quarter sessions. Deeply interested in mining, he was elected first president of the Thames School of Mines. He was a keen supporter of the Volunteer movement, which flourished greatly at the Thames, and held the position of surgeon-major of the Scotch Battalion of Volunteers. In 1890 Dr. Kilgour removed to Parnell after a most active and useful career at the Thames, and died after he had reached the ripe age of eighty-five years.
The Late Dr. J. Kilgour.