The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Barristers and Solicitors
Barristers and Solicitors.
Basley, George W., Barrister, Solicitor, and Patent Agent, 8 and 9 Bank of New Zealand Buildings, Queen Street, Auckland. P.O. Box 260. Telephone 107. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand.
Baxter And Shrewsbury (Thomas Nimmo Baxter and Hugh Shrewsbury), Barristers and Solicitors, 91 Queen Street, Auckland. This business was established in 1896.
Beale And Beale, Barristers and Solicitors, Queen Street, Auckland. Telephone 161. P.O. Box 314. Mr. John Alexander Beale was called and admitted in 1873, after five years' service under articles to Judge T. S. Weston. For many years Mr. Beale was a member of the Council of the Auckland Law Society, and has practised in the City of Auckland almost continuously since his admission. He was for three years in partnership with Mr. Hugh Lusk, sometime Provincial Secretary, Chairman of the Board of Education, and M.H.R. Mr. Beale's private residence is at Dilworth Terrace, Selwyn Terrace, Parnell. Messrs Beale and Beale have agents in the principal cities of Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand.
Biss, N. L. Holm, Solicitor, 30 Shortland Street, Auckland. P.O. Box 502. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales.
Blades, Joseph, Barrister and Solicitor, Imperial Chambers, Vulcan Lane, Auckland. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand.
Bloomfield, William Read. Barrister and Solicitor, Government Insurance Chambers, Queen Street, Auckland. P.O. Box, 468. Private residence, “The Pines,” Mr. Eden, connected by telephone 828. Mr. Bloomfield was born at Matawhero, Poverty Bay, in 1861, and is the second son of the late Captain Bloomfield, sheep farmer, and nephew of Captain Read, one of the pioneers of the east coast districts. He was educated at the east coast districts. He was educated at the Auckland College and Grammar school, and at the late Napier grammar school, where he passed his junior and senior civil service examinations. He was articled to Messrs. Hesketh and Richmond, solicitors, and admitted to the Bar by the late Mr. Justice Gillies. After practising for a short time in the Colony, Mr. Bloomfield visited America, England, and the Continent of Europe, finally returning to New Zealand in 1890, when he recommenced practice in Auckland. Mr. Bloomfield is interested in station and other properties in Poverty Bay for which district he has been requested to stand in the Opposition interest. He takes a great interest in hunting and polo, and has filled the office of steward of the Auckland racing club. Mr Bloomfield has large interests in mining properties and is a director of several companies; he is also a member of the council of the Auckland chamber of mines.
Brock, Adam, Barrister and Solicitor, 33 Shortland Street, Auckland. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand.
Brookfield And Son (Frederic Morris Preston Brookfield, and Frederic William Brookfield), Barristers and Solicitors, Colonial Bank Buildings, Queen Street, Auckland.
Bruce, Wilfred E., Barrister and Solicitor, 110 Victoria Arcade, Queen Street, Auckland. P.O. Box 59. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand.
Buchanan, Archibald, Barrister and Solicitor, Vulcan Lane, Auckland.
Buddle, Button and Co. (late Whitaker and Russell) (Thomas Buddle, Charles Edward Button and Charles Frederick Buddle), Solicitors, Notaries, etc., 5 Wyndham page 277 Street, Auckland. Telegraphic address, “Recitation.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. P.O. Box 150; telephone 230. London agents, Paines and Co., 14, St. Helen's Place.
Mr. T. Buddle.
Burton And Hammond (Ernest William Burton and Frederick James Hammond), Barristers and Solicitors, 93 Queen Street, Auckland.
Mr. Ernest William Burton, Senior Partner in the firm of Burton and Hammond, was born at Goulburn Creek, Victoria, on the 18th of October, 1857, and was admitted to the Bar by the late Mr. Justice Gillies in June, 1879. Mr. Burton has contributed articles to the “Victoria Law Review” and the “Law Quarterly Review,” and is known also as a writer on political and financial questions.
Mr. F. J. Hammond.
Calder And Goldwater (C. M. Calder and A. Goldwater), Solicitors, 121 and 122 Victoria Arcade, Queen Street, Auckland. P.O. Box 229. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia.
Mr. C. M. Calder, son of the Rev. F. Calder, headmaster of Chesterfield Grammar School, was born at Chesterfield, England, in 1858, and articled to Mr. W. Cowdell, of Chesterfield. He was admitted to the Bar in 1880, and shortly afterwards came to New Zealand, where he was admitted in 1887.
Mr. A. Goldwater, who was admitted in 1894, began to practise his profession with his present partner in 1895.
Mr. W. Cooper.
Devore And Cooper (A. E. T. Levore and Theo. Cooper), Barristers and Solicitors, Legal Chambers, Queen Street, Auckland. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.
Mr. Theophilus Cooper is referred to in another article. He was appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court in February, 1901, and at once ceased to be a member of the firm of Devore and Cooper.
Dufaur And Maccormick (E. T. Dufaur and C. E. MacCormick), Barristers and Solicitors, Auckland. Mr. Dufaur is dead, but the firm is still carried on under the old name by Mr. MacCormick, who entered the partnership in 1899, after having been many years in the office. He was admitted to practice in 1887, by Mr. Justice Gillies.
Dignan And Armstrong (Peter Dignan and Walter Henry Armstrong), Barristers and Solicitors, 4 and 5 Imperial Chambers, Vulcan Lane, Auckland. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.
Mr. Peter Dignan, the Senior Partner of this firm, is referred to in another part of this volume as an ex-mayor of Auckland.
Mr. Walter Henry Armstrong, Partner in the firm of Dignan and Armstrong, was born at Cambridge, England, in 1844. In 1862 he came to New Zealand, and was articled to Mr. Samuel Jackson, of Jackson and Russell. He was admitted to the Bar in 1873, and subsequently joined the firm of Messrs Sheehan and Dignan as a partner. On the retirement of the Hon. John Sheehan, the name of the firm was changed to Dignan and Armstrong.
Earl And Campbell (Frederick Earl and Alexander Bulwer Campbell), Barristers and Solicitors, Shortland Street, Auckland.
Mr. Frederick Earl has been in practice in Auckland since 1880.
Mr. Alexander Bulwer Campbell practised for many years in Wellington, and was formerly a member of the firm of Campbell and Gray, of that city.
Gillies And Colbeck (C. E. S. Gillies and W. B. Colbeck), Barristers and Solicitors, 27 Shortland Street, Auckland. Mr. Gillies took his B.A. and LL.B. degrees at Cambridge in 1892, and was called to the Bar in England in the same year. Mr. Colbeck took his B.A. and LL.B. degrees at Cambridge in 1891, when he was called to the Bar. He is a member of the Inner Temple, London. The firm commenced practice in Auckland in 1894.
Gittos, John William, Barrister and Solicitor, Brown and Campbell's Buildings, Shortland Street, Auckland. Mr. Gittos was born in 1862 at the Kaipara, and is a son of the Rev. W. Gittos, the well-known missionary clergyman. He was articled to Mr. W. Thorn, solicitor, of Vulcan Lane. Auckland, and remained with him for twelve years, during which he was admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor. Mr. Gittos commenced the practice of his profession on his own account in 1893.
Graham, James, Barrister and Solicitor, Commercial Union Assurance Buildings, Shortland Street, Auckland.
Griffiths, Charles Frederick, Barrister and Solicitor, Temple Chambers, High Street, Auckland. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Griffiths is referred to as a Freemason in the social section of this volume.
Mr. C. F. Griffiths.
Hanna, A., Barrister and Solicitor, corner of Queen and Swanson Streets, Auckland.
Hesketh And Richmond (Samuel Hesketh), Barristers, Solicitors, and Notaries Public, National Bank Buildings, Wyndham Street, Auckland. Telephone 16. P.O. Box 107. London Agents, Murray, Hutchings and Stirling. Cable address, “Tamaki.” Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Limited.
Mr. S. Hesketh.
Jackson And Russell (Samuel Jackson and James Russell), Barristers and Solicitors and Notaries Public, 17 Shortland Street, Auckland. Cable address; “Scandendum.” P.O. Box, 176. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.
Johnstone, George M., Barrister and Solicitor, Kidd's Buildings, 4 High Street, Auckland. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia.
Mr. M. R. Keesing.
Kissling, Theophilus, Barrister and Solicitor, Shortland Street, Auckland.
Laishley, Richard, LL.D., Ph.D., M.A., Barrister and Solicitor, Notary Public, Vulcan Lane, Auckland. Mr. Laishley was born at Southampton, England, in 1844, and educated at a private college in his native town. He was articled in 1870 to Messrs Jackson and Russell, of Auckland, and admitted to the bar by Chief Justice Sir George Arney in July, 1873, when he began to practise. Mr. Laishley was for some time chairman of the Board of Education. In 1883 he visited Great Britain, Europe, and the United States of America, and was commissioned by the New Zealand Government to report upon the educational systems in force in those countries. During his visit to Scotland the degree of LL.D. was conferred upon him by the University of St. Andrew's. Dr. Laishely's diploma and portrait are hung in the Free Public Library, Auckland.
Mr. J. R. Lundon.
Lusk, Robert Butler, Barrister and Solicitor, 28 Shortland Street, Auckland. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand.
Mcgregor, Malcolm Godfrey, Barrister and Solicitor, Hobson's buildings, Shortland Street, Auckland. London agents, Baker and Nairne, 3 Crosby Square, Bishopsgate E.C. Cable address, “Clan.” Auckland. Telephone 683. P.O. Box 290. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.
Mr. E. Mahony.
Napier And Fitzherbert (W. J. Napier and W. L. Fitzherbert), Barristers and Solicitors, 106 and 107 Victoria Arcade. Auckland. Bankers, National Bank and Bank of New Zealand.
Mr. W. J. Napier, the Senior Partner of this firm, is fully referred to in other parts of this volume as the senior member for the City of Auckland in the House of Representatives, and also as Captain of the Devonport Coast Guard Artillery Volunteers.
Mr. William Lockhart Fitzherbert, Partner of the firm of Napier and Fitzherbert, is eldest son of Mr. H. S. Fitzherbert, barrister and solicitor, of Palmerston North, and a grandson of the late Sir William Fitzherbert, celebrated as an early colonist and a New Zealand statesman. Articles on Sir William and Mr. H. S. Fitzherbert, of Palmerston, appear in the Wellington volume of this work. Mr. W. L. Fitzherbert was born in Wellington in 1877, and spent some years in general study at the St. Paul's preparatory school, Sydney Street. At the age of thirteen he removed to Wanganui College, where he studied for four years. At the early age of seventeen Mr. Fitzherbert proved his marked ability and apt scholarship by passing his matriculation with results which entitled him to a certificate for the solicitors' general knowledge examination. Immediately after this he entered the office of his father, with whom he served three years, at the end of which he passed the legal examination for solicitors, but owing to his being under the required age, his admission to the bar was deferred for some months. In 1898 Mr. Fitzherbert commenced the practice of his profession at Levin, and for the two years which he resided there he met with great success. Mr. Fitzherbert left Levin district on the 18th of June, 1900, to enter into partnership with Mr. Napier. While residing at Levin he married the eldest daughter of Mr. T. Herbert Hankins, solicitor, of Palmerston North. Though for the most part engaged in following his profession and in literary pursuits, Mr. Fitzherbert has taken considerable interest in military matters, and for about two years he occupied the position of first lieutenant in the Palmerston North Rifles, but resigned his commission when he left the district.
Neumegen, Walter Martin, Barrister and Solicitor, 33 Shortland Street, Auckland.
Oliphant And Battley (Peter Oliphant and Frederick Battley), Barristers and Solicitors, 12 High Street, Auckland. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand.
O'Meagher, Joseph, Barrister and Solicitor, Auckland. Mr. O'Meagher has practised his profession in Auckland for many years, and has been regarded as one of the ablest pleaders in criminal cases in the colony.
Palmer, Jackson, Barrister and Solicitor, 5 and 6 Oxford Chambers, High Street, Auckland. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Palmer is referred to as member for Ohinemuri in the House of Representatives.
Parr, Christopher James, Barrister and Solicitor, 104 Victoria Arcade, Auckland; Kapanga Road, Coromandel. P.O. Box 71. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mr Parr is referred to on pages 119 and 120 of this volume, as a member of the Auckland City Council.
Pilkington, Arthur George, Solicitor, Mercantile Chambers, Auckland. Mr. Pilkington was born at West Tamaki, near Auckland, in 1869, and is the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Pilkington. His mother is the daughter of Mr. Robert Andrew, who arrived with the colonists who came out by the ships “Duchess of Argyle” and “Jane Gifford.” He passed the solicitor's professional examination in 1896, and was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court, in 1899, by Mr. Justice Conolly.
Mr. J. R. Reed.
Russell And Campbell (E. N. R. Russell and Hugh Campbell), Barristers and Solicitors, Wyndham Street, Auckland. This firm was established in 1883 by Mr J. B. Russell, who is now dead, and Mr. Hugh Campbell is the present senior partner.
Seth-Smith, Hugh Garden, Barrister and Solicitor, Bank of New Zealand Chambers, Queen Street, Auckland. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Seth-Smith is known throughout the Colony as having been District Judge and Resident Magistrate at Auckland in 1882, and Chief Judge of the Native Land Court from 1888 to 1893. He was born at Balham, Surrey, England, in 1848, was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he gained a scholarship in 1870, and took his B.A. degree in 1871, when he was also placed as 14th Wrangler in the Mathematical Tripos. Mr Seth-Smith was called to the Bar of the Inner Temple in 1873. He arrived in New Zealand in 1881, and was appointed in the following year District Judge and Resident Magistrate at Auckland. Since resigning his judicial position he has been practising his profession. Mr. Seth-Smith takes a deep and active interest in ecclesiastical, educational, and scientific matters, and was elected one of the first members of the Council of the Auckland University College, and first president of the Polynesian Society. In 1898 he was appointed Chancellor of the Diocese of Auckland, in succession to the late Mr. Edwin Hesketh.
Mr. H. G. Seth-Smith.
Stewart, John William, Barrister and Solicitor, National Bank Buildings, Wyndham Street, Auckland. Mr. Stewart was born in Auckland in 1866, was articled to Mr. J. M. Alexander, admitted to the bar on the 13th of December, 1887, by Mr. Justice Gillies, and commenced practice in February, 1889.
Smith, F. Wilson, Barrister and Solicitor, Queen Street, Auckland. Mr. Smith was born in Yorkshire, England, in the sixties. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1876, and was admitted as a solicitor in 1887, and as barrister in 1899. Mr. Smith practised his profession at Geraldine, in the provincial district of Canterbury, until 1897, when he removed to Auckland.
Thorne, William, Barrister and Solicitor, was born on the 24th of January, 1847, at Auckland. His parents were amongst the pioneer settlers and arrived in 1842. He was educated at Wesley College, Auckland, in which he was afterwards assistant master for two years. Mr. Thorne had two years of active service during the Maori war. He was articled in 1863 to the late Mr. Bracey, a member of the English Bar, and on the death of Mr. Bracey he completed his articles with Mr. Brookfield, Crown Prosecutor, and was admitted as a barrister and solicitor in 1869. He commenced to practise in 1870, and since then he has continuously resided and practised in Auckland. Mr. Thorne is a notary public and a commissioner for New South Wales and South Australia. He was for several years chairman of the Ponsonby Road Board, was a member of the Auckland Harbour Board on two occasions, and a city councillor. He is one of the trustees of the Costley Training Institution, treasurer of the Auckland Ladies' Benevolent Society, and one of the City Loan Sinking Fund Commissioners.
Tylden, Charles Ryland, Barrister and Solicitor, 2 Oxford Chambers, High Street, Auckland. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.
Vaile, Percy A., Barrister and Solicitor, Legal Chambers, Queen Street, Auckland. Mr. Vaile was educated at the Dunedin High School, and admitted to the bar at Auckland in 1889 by Mr. Justice Gillies.
Whitaker And Baume (Alfrea Edward Whitaker, Frederick Ehrenfried Baume), Barristers, Solicitors, and Notaries Public, Herald Buildings, Queen Street, Auckland. P.O. Box 49. Telephone 568. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand.
Mr. A. E. Whitaker, Senior Partner of this firm, was admitted to the bar in 1875, and joined by his present partner in 1896.
Mr. F. E. Baume, of the firm of Whitaker and Baume, is referred to as a member of the Auckland City Council.
Williamson, Francis Herbert, Solicitor, 103 Victoria Arcade, Queen Street, Auckland. Mr. Williamson studied law under Messrs Burton and Keesing, barristers, from 1886 to 1889. He practised in America for five years, and then returned to Auckland, where he was admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand.
Wynyard And Purchas (Montague H. Wynyard; Charles Edward Purchas), Solicitors. Offices, Swanson Chambers, corner Queen and Swanson Streets, Auckland. Cable address “Windlass, Auckland.” Telephone 693. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private address, Mr. Wynyard, “Moor End,” Epsom; Mr. Purchas, Clyde Street, Epsom. London agents, Messrs Soames, Edwards and Jones, 58 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London W.; agents at Wellington, Messrs Morison and Loughnan; at Dunedin, Messrs Webb and Allan; at Thames, Mr. J. A. Miller; at Paeroa. Mr. W.M. Jackson; at Coromandel, Messrs Parr and Walker; at Napier, Messrs Charlisle and McLean. The firm was formed in 1892 when Mr. Purchas, who had been practising previously at the Thames, joined Mr. Wynyard in Auckland. Mr. Wynyard, who was admitted in 1891, has charge of the conveyancing department, and Mr. Purchas, who was admitted in 1887, undertakes the common law and mining branches.
Mr. William Eugene Outhwaite, B.A., Oxon., Barrister-at-Law of the Inner Temple, and of the Courts of New Zealand, was a native of Auckland and second son of Mr. Thomas Outhwaite, first Registrar of the Supreme Court of New Zealand. He was a man of rare abilities, genial nature, and much culture; but unfortunately he was obliged to go about on crutches, owing to an accident and subsequent rheumatism, contracted at Oxford, where he was a good all-round athlete. Though well qualified as a lawyer, he gave more attention to letters than to his profession. As a critic, he wrote under the name of “Orpheus,” and writers, musicians, singers, and actors recognised him as an authority. He was a lover and a patron of all sport, over which he exercised a wide and popular influence. Mr. Outhwaite page 282 died on the 10th of April, 1900. Occur when it may, the death of a man so gifted and accomplished is naturally deeply deplored by his friends, but in Mr. Outhwaite's case there was an added grief in the knowledge that his death was really the after result of injuries received a year before, when he was knocked down by a recklessly-driven brake.
White, Henry, Law Stationer, Law Clerk, etc., Shortland Street (opposite Messrs Archibald Clark and Sons), Auckland. Mr. White is a son of the late Mr. Henry White, formerly a well-known builder, who came to the Colony as far back as 1843, and built St. Paul's Cathedral in Princes Street, Firth's old mill in Queen Street, the main building of the Lunatic Asylum, the first brick post office in Shortland Street, and many other noteworthy buildings. Mr. White was born in England in 1839, and was educated at the Auckland Wesley College and other early schools. In 1853, Mr. White served under the Hon. Thomas Russell, in whose employment—and that of the late Sir F. Whitaker—he spent about twelve years, when he began business in his present line. Mr. White has, therefore, been drawing and engrossing deeds for the profession for over thirty-five years. He keeps law books and general law stationery, besides a large variety of new and second-hand works of general literature. In 1862 Mr. White married Miss M. E. Ward, daughter of Captain Ward, who was first mate in the steamer “William Denny,” the first steamer to run between Auckland and Sydney, and who afterwards held an appointment in the Government treasury. Mr. and Mrs. White have six sons and six daughters. Three of the sons are married, and all occupy satisfactory positions.