The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
“The New Zealand Farmer, Bee, And Poultry Journal,” a monthly illustrated paper devoted to agricultural, horticultural, and pastoral affairs, was first issued in January, 1885, with Mr. G. L. Peacocke as editor. The paper deals with every branch of rural life, such as farming, gardening, stock-breeding, dairying, poultry and bee-keeping, and special articles are devoted to the homing pigeon fancy. In addition to these subjects, there are reports from local correspondents in the provincial districts, and an eight-page supplement of home reading for the family circle. All the principal agricultural and poultry shows in the colony are specially reported in the columns of the paper. The “Farmer” also publishes portraits of prize-winning stock. It is the only exclusively agricultural journal in New Zealand, and its proprietor, Mr. H. Brett, spares no expense in making it the leading periodical of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. It is especially noted for its reports of market quotations for stock and produce in every centre of the colony. The paper circulates all over New Zealand, and has also numerous subscribers in Australia and Tasmania.
Mr. G. L. Peacocke, the Editor, came out to New Zealand in his early childhood, but afterwards lived for a number of years in England, where he was called to the [gap — reason: illegible]ar at the Middle Temple in 1877. His early life having been spent on a New Zealand farm, he is practically familiar with the conditions of colonial farming life, and has, in addition, made himself acquainted with the theoretical side of agriculture and stock breeding.
“The New Zealand Primitive Methodist, a purely denominational journal devoted to connexional news and leading topics of the day, was founded in 1889 under the able editorship of the Rev. A. J. Smith, who wished to establish a periodical to promote Christian work. When, in 1891, Mr Smith sailed for England, the position of editor was taken by the Rev. J. Guy, who retained it for three years. The Rev. C. E Ward then took it over until the arrival of the Rev. W. Laycock, the present editor, who is referred to in another article. The paper has been successful from the first, having paid its way, and in 1900 it produced a surplus of £60, which was devoted to the New Zealand missionary fund. It now commands a wide circulation.
“The New Zealand Illustrated Magazine” was established in 1899 as a periodical for the publication of characteristic colonial literature, special articles, short stories, and notes on current topics. It numbers amongst its contributors many journalists of high standing, and is the only successful illustrated magazine on general topics in the Australasian Colonies. It is published monthly, is octavo in size, and is well and profusely illustrated.
Mr. Thomas Cottle, the Editor of the “New Zealand Illustrated Magazine,” is a colonist of thirty-seven years' standing. He has been engaged in a variety of pursuits, and is well known as a writer of short stories.