Adams, Miss Jessie M.,
Teacher of Pianoforte and Theory, Collingwood Street, Ponsonby. Miss Adams is a daughter of Mr. J. A. Adams, of Auckland, and has been engaged in her profession for the past twelve years. Among her many pupils are to be found residents of Onehunga and Mount Eden district, but it is principally from Ponsonby that Miss Adams draws her pupils. In preparing them for the examinations of Trinity College she has been singularly successful, especially in theory; one of her pupils gained 100 per cent. of marks and was the only competitor who won that distinction, and another pupil gained 99 per cent. in the same subject. Miss Adams was educated in Auckland. She was a pupil of Mr. M. Swallow and afterwards of Herr Schmitt; but her valuable knowledge of theory was obtained from Mr. Wood, of Parnell. Miss Adams is associated with the Orchestral Union and is an honorary member of the Choral Society. She is to be found every Wednesday morning at Mr. Richardson's piano warehouse, Victoria Street, where she has rooms for the convenience of her many patrons.
Baker, Miss Ida,
Pianoforte Teacher, “Stoneleigh,” Rocky Nook, New North Road,
Auckland. Miss Baker is a daughter of Mr. William Baker, one of Auckland's prominent
townsmen, and received her musical instruction from Miss Emilly Reeve, the well-known pianiste, which she finished under Professor Carl Schmitt. She has practised her profession since 1894. This young lady's services are brought into frequent requisition at Onehunga, Ellerslie, and in the city, thus testifying to her abilities as a teacher. Miss Baker is a member of the Students' Association, and was for some time a member of the Choral Society. She gained in 1895 the Glasgow Medal in the Junior Division for Theory, and in 1897 passed her examination as an Associate of the School of Music (Auckland University).
Bennett, John Frederick,
Teacher of the Organ, Pianoforte and Theory of Music, Pitt Street. Mr. Bennett was born in Auckland in 1867. He received his instruction
in the organ in the first instance from Mr. Angelo Forrest; the piano he studied for over four years under Professor Martin Swallow, and for a number of years he was under the able tuition of the well-known composer and organist, Mr. T. Tallis Trimnell, Mus. Bac. Oxon. from whom he had lessons on the organ and the theory of music. Commencing the practice of his profession in 1886. Mr. Bennett numbers amongst his past pupils several well-known performers and teachers of music. He is favourably known as an organist of much ability, and possesses credentials and testimonials of a very high order. He held the position of organist and choirmaster for eight years at the Devonport Presbyterian church, and acted in a similar capacity for five years at St. Peter's church, and on various occasions has occupied the organ stool at most of the principal Anglican churches. At the present time he is organist and choirmaster at Knox Presbyterian Church, Parnell. Mr. Bennett's pupils have met with considerable success in the practical and theoretical divisions of the Associated Board of the Royal Academy and Royal College of Music, London, and in the Trinity College musical examinations. In the 1898 practical examination of the Associated Board, twelve of his pupils were successful, and in 1899, sixteen again secured cerficates—twelve the pass and four the distinction certificate. He teaches on the Lebert and Stark method, and holds for piano, organ, and harmony, certificates which state he can train the most advanced pupils. Mr. Bennett possesses literary as well as musical ability, and for a number of years has been the musical critic of a leading New Zealand journal.
Bosworth, Tom Henry,
Teacher of Music, Ponsonby Road, Auckland. Born in Nottingham in 1858, he was educated at the local high school, and studied music under Dr. Briggs, the celebrated Henry Houseley, Fellow of the College of Organists, and subsequently under Heinrich Kohler. The subject of this notice came out to Melbourne, Victoria, in the ship “Austral” in 1883. Removing to the New South Wales capital shortly afterwards, he learned the 'cello from Mr. Edward Straus, one of Sydney's famous musicians. Mr. Bosworth is next found in Albury, where he practised his profession for three years, and made a good connection. In 1887 he went to Launceston, and seven years later to Sydney, establishing a practice in the suburbs. He was for three years conductor to the Picton and Camden Philharmonic Societies. Mr. Bosworth emigrated to Auckland, New Zealand, towards the end of 1896, for climatic
benefits, and shortly after his arrival was appointed conductor of the newly formed Grafton Orchestral Union, and of St. Benedict's choir. He is a composer of no mean degree, “The Beautiful South Esk Waltz,” which has reached its fourth edition, and “The Military Waltz,” being among his compositions. The latter was, at the special request of Messrs. Boosey and Co., London, published in their “Military Band Journal.” This is, in itself, quite sufficient to guarantee a large circulation of Mr. Bosworth's compositions. He is also the composer of many songs, several sacred solos, and a quartet for stringed instruments. Mr. Bosworth is a dog fancier, and has for some years past been a successful breeder of prize collies.
Professor of Music, Auckland. This gentleman is well known throughout Australasia, more especially in Adelaide, where he resided for about twenty years. Owing to ill-health, he was advised to visit Rotorua, and having done so he decided to settle in Auckland. Mr. Boult was born at Manchester in 1851, and is the eldest son of Mr. Arthur Boult, of the firm of Messrs Wrigley, Son and Boult, paper manufacturers, of Manchester and Bury. He was partly educated at Tower school, Cheshire. At a very early age he evinced a decided musical taste, and studied under Drs. Percival and Mathias Field, of Liverpool. In 1876 Mr. Boult was appointed organist to the Adelaide Cathedral, and he held that post for nearly sixteen years, during which the choir obtained the premier position in Australasia. Mr. Boult was the founder of the Adelaide Philharmonic Society and of the Adelaide Stringed Quartet Club. By his letters in the press and other exertions he also succeeded in initiating a chair of music in the Adelaide University, and for some years he held a position on the Board of Musical Studies. In 1880 Mr. Boult married Miss Gawler, grand-daughter of Colonel George Gawler, the first constitutional Governor of South Australia. This lady is associated with her husband in his work as a musician.
Burke, E. J.,
Teacher of Violin and Piano, Vincent Street, Auckland. Mr. Burke was born in 1870 in Auckland, and received his musical education from Professor Martin
Swallow and other prominent artists who have passed through the Colony. He commenced the practice of his profession in 1888 and has since that date been a regular performer at public concerts. He has acted as leader of the West End musical society, choirmaster at St. John's R.C. Church, Parnell, and conductor of the Auckland banjo, mandolin, and guitar club. Mr. Burke formed a string band in 1892 with which he has made several tours of the Auckland provincial district, and which he utilises in catering for social clubs and public dances. He has toured New Zealand with theatrical companies as orchestral player, and has a very large pupil list.
Bridgewater, Miss Jessie E.,
Teacher of Pianoforte and Theory, 18 Arawa Street, Auckland. Miss Bridgewater has a large number of pupils. She first studied music under Miss A. Colgrove, and went to London to complete her professional training.
Carter, Thomas Edgar,
Teacher of Piano, Violin, Flute, Banjo, Guitar, Mandolin and Cornet, and an Importer of Music, 88 Victoria Street, Auckland. Mr. Carter was
born in 1844 in Coventry, Warwickshire, England; he received his musical education from Mr. Smyth (of the Guards Band) and Mr. Sleath, studying the cornet under the first named, and the plano and violin under the latter. When only 19 years of age Mr. Carter commenced teaching music, and formed a private band, called the “Coventry Saxehorn Band.” He made a specialty of band-teaching, and even at that early stage of his career was instructor to five bands. Besides band playing, Mr. Carter was at this time also engaged in teaching the piano and violin. As a child he showed great musical talent, playing in an orchestra when nine years of age at the production of “The Creation;” when 15 years old he played first cornet in the band of the Warwickshire Volunteers and was first battalion bugler in the same corps. He left the Old Country in 1880 by the “Stracathro,” and on arrival in Auckland opened a music warehouse and studio in Victoria Street, where he has been in business ever since. Mr Carter's establishment is well stocked with all the latest musical pieces, songs, and musical instruments.
Teacher of Violin and Singing, Australian Mutual Provident buildings, Queen Street, Auckland. Private address, “Waldamere,” Birkenhead. This lady who has practised her profession as a teacher of music since 1889, is a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Buckland. She obtained her early musical instruction from Mr. Leitch, of Dunedin, and afterwards was under Professor Carl Schmitt of Auckland. In 1892, she went to Europe to further pursue her musical studies. She studied at the Royal Conservatorium of Music, Dresden, under such eminent musicians as Professors Froberg, Remmeli, Brannoth, Herr Schnackenberg, Herr Burkhardt, Signor Piccoli, Balletmester Dietze, and Fraulein Gasteyer. She returned to the Colonies after an absence of three years, her marriage with Mr. Charles Chambers taking place shortly afterwards. Madam Chambers is a violiniste of no mean order and the possessor of a pleasing and highly cultivated soprano voice. She is a soloist of the Auckland choral society and invariably appears at all high class concerts.
Coates, Mrs. A.
, Teacher of Singing, Wynyard Street, Auckland. This lady possesses a mezzo contralto voice and has for several years past been well and favourably known to the musical world. As an exponent of voice production Mrs. Coates is unrivalled. Among her many pupils are to
Mrs A Coates.
be found residents in the Waikato and Onehunga. She studied under Madame Christian and afterwards under Madame Steinhauer; she received piano-instruction from the late Mr. Beale, who was one of Auckland's prominent musicians. Mrs. Coates is one of the leading soloists of the Auckland choral society. She has been a member of St. Paul's choir for many years, in which capacity she has rendered valuable service. Mrs. Coates is a daughter of the late Archdeacon Maunsell, and was educated at Mrs. Glover's school.
England, William John,
Associate of Music at Auckland University, Teacher of Music, Pitt Street, Auckland. Mr. England was born on the 25th of September, 1860, at Stourbridge, Worcestershire, England. After deciding to make music his profession, he studied for some time under Mr. H. Simms, organist of Old Swinford church, and under Mr. Young, organist of Kinver parish church. He came to New Zealand in 1883, and pursued his profession with great success as a music teacher in Whangarei, where, for some time he occupied the position of organist and choirmaster at Christ Church. In 1889, with a view to bettering his position and extending the range of his professional influence, Mr. England settled in Auckland, and took up his residence
in Pitt Street as a professional pianist and teacher of music, and has met with the success he anticipated. Mr. England is the organist and choirmaster at the Devonport Presbyterian Church, and pianist at the Young Men's Christian Association.
Finer, Thomas. William,
Pianoforte Teacher, King Street (Jervois Road), Ponsonby. Mr. Finer was born in Wanganui and is a son of Mr. F. W. Finer, of Auckland. He came to Auckland when eight years of age, and received private tuition. For five years he followed the trade of a saddler, serving his time with Mr. G. Allen, of Beresford Street, but being gifted with musical talents he made rapid progress under Mr. S. Adams,
and eventually entered the musical profession. Mr. Finer has won three out of five competitions, and although he has been teaching only a short time he has a considerable
Mr. T. W. Finer.
number of pupils. He is in a position to prepare pupils for examinations. He is a member of Mr. Adams' well-known orchestra, besides having one of his own which has appeared with marked success, not only at some of the best balls but at the prominent music halls.
Gribbin, Miss Grace,
Teacher of Pianoforte and Theory, Edward Street, Devonport.
This young lady, who has thoroughly mastered her profession, has proved herself a capable teacher. Her aim is to train high class players who will grace a drawing-room rather than prepare them for examinations. Miss Gribbin's pupils have on several occasions creditably acquitted themselves, securing prizes at the band of hope contests. She is a member of the “Original” banjo club, performing on the mandolin. Miss Gribbin is a daughter of Mr. Francis Gribbin, of Auckland, and received her musical training from Mr. W. H. Webbe. She practised her profession in Newton where she had a most successful career of six years, but removed in 1895 to Devonport, where she maintains an increasing connection.
Harding, Miss Frances,
Teacher of Piano, Violin, 'Cello, and Singing, Grafton Road, Auckland. It is only quite recently that this young lady made her debut before the Auckland musical world, in the capacity of a teacher. On her sister's (Mrs. Jackson's) marriage she took over the whole of her pupils and the family reputation has been ably sustained in her hands. Miss Harding was educated in Auckland and saw several years' service under the Auckland Education Board, being stationed respectively at Devonport, Otahuhu, and Omaha. She resigned her position as mistress of the Omaha school to take up her musical career. Miss Harding received her first musical training from the late Mr. Coates, and obtained great assistance from her sister. Her musical tuition was finished under Madame Bahnson, from whom she obtained a certificate of proficiency. Miss Harding, who is a member of the choral society and amateur opera club, is a daughter of the late Mr. Charles Harding, the well-known tenor singer.
Teacher of Clarionette, Flute, and all wind Instruments, Grafton Road, Auckland. Mr. Jackson was born in Auckland on the 5th of October, 1863, and is a son of the late Sergt. Jackson. He vigorously pursued his musical education under Bandmaster Impey and Mr. Martin Swallow. During Miss Amy Sherwin's opera season of five months, Mr. Jackson held the distinction of playing the solo clarionette in her orchestra. On his return to New Zealand he was engaged for seven months playing at the Dunedin Exhibition, where he left a blank in Dunedin musical circles not easily filled. Mr. Jackson then moved to Auckland, where he is well-known
as an efficient teacher, and has established a premier connection as the result of many years' labour. He is conductor of the Wind Quintette club which was successfully organised by him, and is familiar to patrons of the opera house as clarionette player in the orchestra.
Teacher of Music, Grafton Road, Auckland. A daughter of the late Mr. Chas. Harding, the well-known opera singer, Mrs. Jackson studied under Herr Schmitt and Professor Martin Swallow. She was a successful teacher of the piano, violin, and 'cello, and organised the first ladies' orchestra in Auckland with over sixty enthusiastic members. The accompanying group represents 55 members of the Society. Mrs. Jackson was for many years one of the leading members of the choral society, and, on the occasion of her marriage, was presented with a handsome silver tea service by the members.
Mrs. Jackson's Ladies' Orchestra (1897).
Law, Miss Alice E.,
L.R.A.M., London, Teacher of the Pianoforte and Violin, Auckland. This young lady is a daughter of Mrs. Law, late principal of the Girls' College, Remuera. She was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, and spent some of her early days in the vicinity of Glasgow. She came to New Zealand with her mother and sister, and resided at Remuera, where Mrs Law opened a girls' college, and gave her daughters the fullest advantage of a first-class education. Miss Alice Law has been thoroughly grounded in all subjects. Her instructor on the piano was Professor Schmitt, and her violin tutor, Herr Von Zimmerman. Under these masters she made great progress, and developed into a thoroughly efficient teacher. She won the Amateur Opera Club's scholarship in harmony. Miss Law went to England to complete
Miss A. Law.
her musical studies under the best masters, and gained the diploma of licentiate of the Royal Academy of Music, London. After her return to Auckland she gave a piano recital, at which she demonstrated her remarkable ability as a pianiste. She carries on the practice of her profession in Auckland and Devonport.
Lester, Miss Florence,
Teacher of the Piano, Organ, and Harmonium, Mount Roskill Road, Auckland. This lady's musical career commenced at the early age of seven; and she was instructed by her mother, musician and artist, with such success that two years later she made her first appearance on the concert platform. Further training was received from the late Herr Carl Schmitt, K.C.C.I., the late Mr Frank Bradley, organist, and others, under whom she made rapid progress in her profession. Her studies in harmony and theory, at home and at the University College, resulted in the production of several compositions of merit. She has been organist at a city church for twelve years,
and is a member of the Choral Society and Opera Club. Her and has always been willingly given in contributions to the programmes of numerous local concerts and entertainments. The training imparted to her pupils is very careful and thorough, and she has become a popular and much sought-after teacher.
Music Teacher, 58 Queen Street, Auckland. Mr McFarlane was born in London in 1865, and commenced learning the banjo at an early age. He afterwards continued his studies on the banjo, mandolin, and guitar in New York. After coming to the colonies he taught at Hobart, Tasmania, and subsequently at Napier, New Zealand, and has resided in Auckland since February, 1899.
Mcmaster, Miss Ida,
Teacher of Pianoforte, “Erinholm,” Grey Street, Auckland. Born and educated in Auckland, this young lady is a daughter of Mr. T. McMaster, of Messrs, McMaster and Shalders, the well-known drapers of Queen Street. Miss McMaster received tuition under Mr. Woodham, who was recognised as one of the best teachers of the old school, and afterwards studied under Mr. J. Horton Swales.
Miss I. McMaster.
During the various visits of the Ovide Musin Company, Miss McMaster took lessons from a member of the company — the eminent pianist, Herr Schuarf, from whom she obtained a certificate of merit couched in glowing terms. She has passed the London College of Music (Senior Theory), and the Trinity College (Senior Practical) examinations, and many of her pupils have been successful in obtaining prizes at the local examinations for several years past. In harmony, Miss McMaster gained her experience with Mr. Paque, L.A.M., and has recently been continuing her pianoforte studies under one of the professors of the Royal Academy, in London. As an accompanist, she has been eagerly sought by Auckland's most popular singers, and plays the viola in the Union Orchestra, besides being a prominent playing member of the Ladies' Orchestra. She is a teacher of Prince Albert College—a position which she has held since the opening of that institution. That Miss McMaster has made a really good name as a musician is beyond question. She has a full complement of pupils, many of whom reside at Epsom, Onehunga, Devonport, and other distant suburbs.
Naujoks, Herr Carl,
Professor of Music, 135 Grey Street, Auckland. Herr Naujoks was born in Konigsberg, Prussia, in 1856, and studied music in Berlin and at Stuttgart, where he became a military bandmaster, and afterwards occupied a similar position in the Transvaal. After visiting Melbourne and Sydney, Herr Naujoks settled in Auckland in 1898. He was married, in 1881, to a daughter of Herr F. Forberg, the well-known composer and violoncellist, of Dussendorf-on-Rhine, and has three sons and two daughters, who are also musical.
Paque, G. A.
, L.A.M., Professor of Music, Auckland. Mr. Paque graduated at the London Academy of Music, where he won five free scholarships, and studied under Dr. Wylde, Mr. Trew, Signor Pezze, and others. He had eight years' experience in London before settling in Auckland, and has been a successful composer, conductor, solo violoncellist, and teacher. For some years past Mr. Paque has been deputy-conductor of the Auckland Choral Society.
Partridge, Alfred Arthur,
Teacher of the Banjo, Mandolin and Guitar, Queen Street, Auckland. Mr. Partridge was born in London in 1859, and received his musical education in that city under Professor Marsden, leader of the Royal Italian Opera Company at Covent Garden. He was a member of the Philharmonic Orchestra, in which he played the violin, playing also in the Polytechnic Orchestra. Mr. Partridge came to the Colonies in 1881. He is well-known as a public performer.
Player, Miss Audrey A.,
Teacher of Piano and Theory, View Road, Mount Eden. Miss Player is well known in Auckland musical circles. She obtained her professional training under the late Herr Loffler, and from Mr. J. F. Bennett on the Lebert and Stark method of Stuttgart. She also successfully passed the senior division in practical music, piano, and theory with honours in Trinity College, London. Miss Player received special lessons from Signor Romualdo Sapio, Herr Edward Scharf and Chevalier De Kontski, all of whom spoke in the highest terms of her abilities as a musician and pianiste. Miss Player occupied the position of pianiste to the Mount Eden harmonic society, and is a performing member of the Auckland choral
society. She is an Aucklander by birth, her father being Mr. R. A. Player of the Kauri Timber company. Though only recently established in her profession the number of pupils that are already enrolled and attending her classes is large; which is good testimony to her capabilities as a teacher.
Rimmer, Miss Alice,
Teacher of Music, Vincent Street, Auckland. Private address, Helensville. From the tender age of nine years, Miss Rimmer gave evidence of musical
ability, which was so marked that an influential gentleman, who was present at her first appearance, graciously offered to start her musical education by paying for several terms' tuition. From that time her public career may be said to have begun. Giving evidence of increasing powers, her friends decided to engage the very best tuition Auckland could give, and, placing her under the well-known professor of music, Herr Tutscha, they were rewarded by the rapid progress she made under his able tuition. Miss Rimmer's talent soon made her well known in Auckland musical circles, and she was selected by the Auckland Choral Society as its soloist on several occasions, notably in the “Crusaders,” “Judas Macabeus,” and the “Messiah.” Miss Rimmer has made a study of her musical art, but as a teacher she devotes herself specially to voice culture, harmony, and pianoforte playing. She is engaged by the Young Men's Christian Association as its soloist, and assists frequently at concerts in connection with most of the religious denominations, with which she is deservedly popular. For some time Miss Rimmer has refrained from singing at secular concerts, on account of her religious convictions.
Thomas, William Edwin,
Teacher of the Piano, Organ, Singing, Harmony, Counterpoint, and Composition, Auckland. Dr. Thomas is referred to elsewhere as Professor of Music at Auckland University College, etc.
, Teacher of Piano, Organ, Harmony, and Singing, was born at Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, England, in June, 1846, and at an early age showed a marked talent for music. At the age of seven he commenced the study of the pianoforte with Mr. E. H. Thorne, organist of the parish church, Henley, and two years later went to the college of Sir F. A. Gore Ouseley, Tenbury, Worcestershire, as a probationer. He gained a scholarship for singing, shortly after, which entitled him to free education, board and residence in the college so long as his boy's voice lasted. During that period he studied the pianoforte and organ under Sir John Stainer and Mr. Langdown Colborne, and had the privilege of receiving lessons in harmony from Sir Gore Ouseley. On leaving the college Mr. Towsey studied with Mr. H. C. Deacon, of London, and held an appointment as organist. In 1865, he was selected organist and choirmaster of St. Paul's Cathedral, Dunedin, where he remained in that capacity, and also as a teacher of various branches of music, until 1878, when he obtained leave of absence and went to England. For nearly two years he pursued his musical studies, under Mr. Berthold Tours, for harmony, and Mr. W. Shakespeare for singing, and Signor Tito Mattei for pianoforte, besides attending lectures at Trinity College given by Dr. Lennox Browne and Dr. Liewellyn Thomas, and studying laryngoscopy with Herr Emil Behnke. During his stay in England he deputised for Mr. Fred Archer at the Alexandra Palace, giving daily organ recitals, and frequently took the week day services at St. Paul's Cathedral for Sir John Stainer. He returned to New Zealand in 1880 and resigned his appointment in Dunedin three years later. In 1883 he accepted a similar appointment in Christchurch where he remained for four years. During his sojourn in the latter city he conducted with marked
success the three principal musical societies, viz.: Liedertafel, Musical Society, and Amateur Comic Opera Company. In the latter part of 1888 he visited Melbourne and gave
organ recitals in the Exhibition buildings. In January, 1889, he was unanimously elected to his old position as organist at the cathedral, Dunedin, and in April of the same year was appointed musical director and conductor of the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition. At the close of the exhibition, in April, 1890, he received an offer to undertake the duties of organist and choirmaster at All Saints, St. Kilda, Melbourne, but on medical advice not to take his children to that climate, he declined the offer. In January, 1891, he removed to Auckland at the invitation of the Orchestral Union and was appointed organist and choirmaster of St. Matthew's church. Since his residence in Auckland he has instituted the Liedertafel Society, which is on a flourishing and satisfactory footing.
Verrall, Miss A. Hyder.
Teacher of Pianoforte and Theory, Ponsonby Road, Auckland. Although the city of the north
is the birthplace of Miss Verrall and where her primary education was received, she received her musical instruction mainly in Sydney, for some years studying under Professor Roberts, Miss Walker, and others. Upon leaving the Sydney High School, and passing her Trinity examinations in theory, and two of the local examinations, she established a ladies' school with a large circle of pupils both in city and suburbs. On returning to Auckland to resume her profession, she brought testimonials speaking highly of her as a most painstaking teacher and thoroughly accomplished musician. After her return Miss Verrall entered the University course under Herr Schmitt, and in 1897 she gained the Glasgow Silver Medal. In 1898 she passed the final examinations for the degree of Associate of Music.
K.C.C.I., sometime Professor of Music, Auckland. This well-known musician occupied a prominent position in the musical world of Auckland, as conductor, organiser, and teacher—for eighteen years. Prof. Schmitt, whose fame was spread throughout the Australian Colonies, established
a choral society in Sydney as early as 1869, and, while in the New South Wales capital, produced many musical compositions. The Professor subsequently visited Tasmania for the benefit of his health, and in 1882 came to Auckland, New Zealand. He immediately took up the position of conductor of the Auckland Choral Society, to which he had been appointed principally through the representations of Mr. F. D. Fenton, late Judge of the Native Land Court, and a prominent member of that society. He received the Chair of Music in the Auckland University College in 1888, and founded the Young Ladies' Orchestra. Professor Schmitt was descendant of a family of composers. His father, the Chevalier d'Alois Schmitt, was Court Organist at Hanover, and the composer of more than 100 works, chiefly instrumental. It was in Frankfort that the subject of this notice began his musical career. With the assistance of his father, he trained an orchestra of sixty boys in the Salle Andoné. His musical studies were commenced under his father, and completed under Wolf (violin) and Hauff (theory). When only nineteen years of age, the young musician was appointed Music Director at Wurzburg, and later on occupied a similar position at Königsberg. In addition to the distinctions gained in musical matters, he had many decorations holding the University of Florence Silver Medal for science and art; he was a Chevalier of the Order of the Crown of Italy, and of the Order of St. Michaelis, Bavaria. Professor Schmitt, who assisted Lady Augusta Boyle, daughter of Lord Glasgow, in her musical studies, was, on His Excellency's departure from the Colony, the recipient of a handsome silver cigarette case. He acted from time to time as extra aide-de-camp to the Governors, during their residence in Auckland. Professor Schmitt died at Wairoa South on the 22nd of March, 1900, aged sixty-six years.