The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
The Rev. Charles Moseley Nelson
The Rev. Charles Moseley Nelson, M.A., Vicar of St. Paul's Church, Canon of Auckland, and Bishop's Senior Examining Chaplain, was born in 1843 at Southwark, Surrey, England. He was educated at the City of London School, and, gaining a minor scholarship in classics, entered Queen's College, Cambridge. He became a foundation scholar, taking the degree of B.A. (Second Class Classical Tripos) in 1867, and the M.A. degree in 1871. He was ordained deacon at Exeter in 1867 by the Bishop of Jamaica, and priest at the same place in 1868 by Bishop Trower (both acting for the Bishop of Exeter), and became curate of the parishes of Phillack and Gwithian, Cornwall. He also acted as Diocesan Inspector of Schools until 1870, when he was appointed by Bishop Selwyn to the cure of St. Paul's Church, Auckland. During his incumbency of St. Paul's, extending over a period of thirty years, Canon Nelson has witnessed the demolition of old St. Paul's, the building of a temporary church in Emily Place, and the creation of the magnificent edifice in Symonds Street, which will, when completed, be one of the finest in the Colony. Canon Nelson has devoted a portion of his time to furthering the interests of higher education; he has been for many years a member of the Board of Governors of the Auckland Grammar School, and is now one of the Governors of St. John's College. The rever end gentleman was secretary of the General Synod during the sessions of 1874, 1880, 1886, and 1892. He is one of the vice-presidents of the Auckland Benevolent Society, and chairman of the Orphan Home Trust Board. He is a Freemanson of very high rank, a good musician, and a classical scholar of great ability. Mr. Nelson was married in 1875 to the daughter of the late Mr. James Coates, private secretary to the first governor of New Zealand. This lady is ever to the fore in the work of the Benevolent Society and the Orphan Home.