The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Mr. Walter Brodie
Mr. Walter Brodie represented the Auckland Suburbs in the House of Representatives from 1856 to 1859. He arrived in New Zealand in the early forties and established himself in business as a general merchant in Fort Street, Auckland, occupying one of the A.B.C. stores which were among the first buildings in that city. At that time the sea came up to the door of his store. Mr. Brodie introduced sparrows and English pheasants into New Zealand. He was a member of the Provincial Council and a Justice of the Peace. His father was one of the principal shareholders in the London “Times,” and on the death of that gentleman Mr. Brodie received a large revenue from this source. He retired from business about 1870, and with his wife and two daughters returned to England, where he resided till the time of his death. Mr. Brodie owned a large estate at Mangonui, and was a good colonist, and as a man was highly esteemed by the Maoris and the settlers.