Mr. Archibald Clark
represented the City of Auckland in the House of Representatives in 1860, the City of Auckland East from 1866 to 1870, and Franklin from 1871 to 1873. He was born at Beith, Scotland, in 1805, and was educated for the Presbyterian ministry
at the University of Glasgow, where he acquired a taste for literature, which he retained throughout life. Before completing his studies at the University, he was re-called to Beith by the failing health of his father, Mr. Andrew Clark, and assumed the management of the business carried on there by him. On realising the great future before the Australasian Colonies, Mr. Clark determined to emigrate; and, having decided upon New Zealand as his future home, he arrived in Auckland in the latter part of 1849. He at once began to take an active part in public affairs, and was elected the first Mayor of Auckland in 1851. Mr. Clark was also elected on several occasions to the Provincial Council. He took a very active part in church and educational matters, and was for many years one of the leading members and elders of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Immediately after his arrival in Auckland, Mr. Clark started business in Shortland Street, and some years later he took his sons into partnership, under the style of Archibald Clark and Sons. The business is now not only one of the oldest in New Zealand, but one of the most prosperous, and employs, in warehouse and factories, between 400 and 500 persons. Mr. Clark died in 1875.