The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Native Land Court
Native Land Court.
Mr. H. D. Johnson, who is referred to on pages 142–3 as Registrar of the Native Land Court, was promoted to the position of Judge on the 22nd of April, 1896, his appointment to date from the 1st of May, 1896.
Mr. Edward Buckle, Registrar of the Native Land Court at Wellington, is a son of Mr. Samuel Charles Watson Buckle, barrister-at-law, of Peterborough, England, where the subject of this notice was born in 1855. He was educated chiefly at private schools in Lincolnshire and Northampton, and served five years to the law—three years in the country, and two years in London. Unfortunately, after qualifying for the bar, his health gave way, and he had to seek a more genial clime, and abandon his prospects. Coming to Wellington in December, 1880, with letters of introduction to Chief Judge J. E. Macdonald, who had served in his father's office at Peterborough, Mr. Buckle spent nearly five years in Auckland, during about two of which he was in the office of Messrs. Russell, Devore, and Cooper. In June, 1885, he entered the Native Land Court Office in Wellington as an extra clerk, subsequently becoming a permanent clerk, and advancing step by step till he attained the senior position. In April, 1896, when Mr. H. D. Johnson was elevated to the Bench, Mr. Buckle was promoted to the office of Registrar.