The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Tinui Public School, which was established in 1876, is conducted in a building of the ordinary style, to which is attached about ten acres of land, used as a playground and paddock. It has fortyseven scholars on the roll, the average attendance being thirty-six.
Mr. John Mckenzie, the Master in charge of the Tinui School, who holds a C1 certificate, came to the Colony in the ship “Tinui” in 1886. He is assisted by one pupil teacher.
Mr. Ronald S. W. Owen, Pupil Teacher at the Tinui Public School, was born in 1877 at Palmerston North, and was educated in the Colony. In 1894, after an experience in the office of the Wairarapa Daily Times, Mr. Owen was appointed to the position he now holds. He has ever taken lively interest in athletic sports generally, and is fond of literary pursuits, having acted as local correspondent for several papers. Mr. Owen is fond of poetry, and gives promise of considerable talent as a writer of verse.
Cobbe, George Power, Pianist and Music Teacher, Tinui. A son of General Cobbe, R.A., the subject of this notice was a pupil of Professor Sutton, Doctor of Music, and of the Abbe Lizt. Mr. Cobbe lived for many years in the Wanganui District, and was organist at Marton, as well as being bandmaster to the Volunteers. Mr. Cobbe has gained a wide reputation on the West Coast for his abilities as a pianist.
Blairlogie Junction Hotel (John L. Engel, proprietor), junction of Tinui, Castlepoint, and East Coast roads. At this well-known stopping place for the mail coaches, which pass ten times a week, and change horses at this junction, the above hotel has been conducted since 1886. The building—a wood and iron structure— contains twenty rooms, half of which are comfortably furnished bedrooms, besides four good parlours, a large dining-room (seated for thirty), and other apartments. Situated sixteen miles from Masterton, it is well patronised by all classes of the general public. Good stables and well-watered paddocks are available for the use of those who are travelling with cattle and sheep. Mr. Engel, the proprietor, who was born in London in 1863, and passed his early years on the Continent, has had good experience in hotel management, having been for eight years manager of the Occidental Hotel, Masterton. He married Miss Mahony, sister of Father Mahony, of Wellington, and has one son.
Tinui Hotel (Kenneth McIntosh; proprietor), Grassendale Road, Tinui. Established in 1872, this commodious hostelry, which is used alike by tourists, commercial travellers, and settlers, is a wood and iron building containing thirty-one rooms. There are twenty well-furnished bedrooms, a large, well-ventilated dining-room, (capable of seating thirty persons), several comfortable sitting-rooms, and a fine billiard-room, fitted with one of Alcock's match-tables. The hotel, which is thirty miles from Masterton and twelve from Castlepoint, is the stopping-place for the mail coach, which changes horses daily at this place, an hour being allowed for dinner. The stabling attached to the Tinui Hotel, and the secure paddocks adjoining, are most attractive to those who have to take long journeys with stock. The popular host has had a lengthy experience in hotel management in the district, and formerly on the Otago goldfields. In 1880 Mr. McIntosh was married to Miss Hudson, of Oamaru, and has a son and two daughters.
Fellingham, George , Blacksmith, Tinui. Having learned his trade in Featherston and at Martinborough, Mr. Fellingham conducts a good business, his premises being well situated and fitted with all needful appliances. A grandson of Mr. George Fellingham, of Kent, he was born in 1873 in Wellington, and came with his parents to the Wairarapa when but a child. Mr. Fellingham has ever taken a lively interest in field sports, and has played in several football matches; he is also a member of the local athletic club and of the Lower Valley Jockey Club. He is a member of the orders of Foresters and Oddfellows.
Hancock, A. T. , Saddler and Harness Maker, Tinui. Established in 1888, a good business, which extends over a radius of thirty miles of Tinui, is being conducted by the proprietor. Mr. Hancock was born in Gloucestershire in 1865, and came with his parents to Christchurch, where he learned his trade. He has ever taken an interest in field sports and in the Volunteer movement. In Tinui, he is a member of the Foresters' Order, for which he acts as treasurer: for four years he was chairman of the local school committee. He is agent for the Mutual Life Association of Australasia. Mr. Hancock married a daughter of Mr. R. P. Johnson, J.P., and has a son and a daughter.
Andrew, Rev. John Chapman, M.A., J.P., Sheepfarmer, “Ica,” Tinui. The son of the rector of Whitney, Yorkshire, England, where the subject of this sketch was born in 1822, Mr. Andrew obtained high honours at Oxford, and and was for many years a fellow and tutor of Lincoln College. Landing at Lyttelton per ship “Westminster” in 1856, he made some explorations in the Southern Alps, towards the McKenzie Country, and settled on a sheep-run on one of the tributaries of the Waitaki River for nine years. In 1866, having disposed of his interest in Canterbury, Mr. Andrew came to the North Island—then in an unsettled state—and purchased a freehold on the banks of the Whareama River, at Tinui, which he named “Ica,” from his own initials. This property, which now consists of 19,000 acres, is bounded by the sea-board and the winding river. From a state of nature the wilderness has been subdued, and now carries a grand flock of 20,000 Romney sheep and a herd of 450 polled-angus cattle. Mr. Andrew has acted for many years as Minister of the district, his services having been greatly appreciated. In public life he has been well known, having been twice returned to Parliament, from which he retired owing to family considerations. He was chairman of the first road board on the East Coast, member of the Castlepoint Road Board, and of the county council for many years. In educational affairs the reverend gentleman has ever taken the keenest interest. He is vice-chairman of the New Zealand University, and took a prominent part in its establishment, and was also a member of the Wellington Education Board at its inception.
Cross, John, Sheepfarmer, “Glenside,” Tinui. Born in 1853 in Wellington, where he was educated, Mr. Cross passed his early years on a sheep-station on the East Coast. Subsequently he took up land in the Alfredton District, in partnership with Mr. Cooper. Afterwards he acquired the property which he now works. In 1880 Mr. Cross was married to Miss Wilkinson, and has two sons and two daughters.
Groves, F. W., Sheepfarmer, “The Terrace,” Tinui. The compact farm of 450 acres held by Mr. Groves has been greatly improved since 1892, when it was purchased by its present owner, and it is now in a good state of cultivation, carrying a valuable flock of Lincoln sheep and a good herd of cattle. Mr. Groves, who was born in 1866 at Castlepoint, where he was educated and brought up to farming pursuits, has always taken an interest in field sports, having played in several football matches. He has long been connected with the Foresters' Order and has passed most of the chairs. In 1892 Mr. Groves was married to Miss Brading, of Tinui, and has one son and one daughter.
Langdale Estate, the property of the executors of the late Mr. Elder, which consists of 14,000 acres on the Whareama River, and carries a flock of crossbred sheep and a herd of Aberdeen-Angus cattle, is managed by Mr. Austin. The homestead—a two-story house—is surrounded by a plantation of useful and ornamental trees.
Mr. Fred Awdry, Head Shepherd on the Langdale Estate, is the youngest son of the late Canon Awdry, of Bristol. A native of Wiltshire, England, where he was born in 1860, Mr. Awdry came to Wellington in 1876 in the ship “Northampton.” After nineteen years in the Rangitikei District, where he followed pastoral pursuits, he was appointed to the position he now fills. In lawn tennis he has won a reputation as a first-class player. Mr. Awdry was married in 1890 to the fourth daughter of Mr. C. Bray, C.E., one of the earliest settlers in Feilding, and has two daughters.page 1515
Mr. A. Nicholls.
Savage, Jeremiah, Sheepfarmer, “Glentanner,” Tinui. In 1892 Mr. Savage acquired his holding of 500 acres of excellent bush-land, then in its virgin state. With commendable diligence he has already succeeded in felling 400 acres, which has been laid down in good English grasses, and now carries a nice flock of Lincoln sheep and a small herd of shorthorn cattle. Mr. Savage, who is unmarried, is not an old colonist. A native of County Kerry, Ireland, he accompanied his parents to Port Chalmers per s.s. “Rimutaka” in 1886, settling as above after several years' experience as a stockman and shepherd.
Schofield, Joseph, Sheepfarmer, “Triangle Farm,” Tinui. A Tasmanian by birth, Mr. Schofield came over to New Zealand in the ship “Daniel Watson” in 1867, landing at Lyttelton. After ten years on the Canterbury Plains he removed to the Wairarapa, entering into business as a carrier and shipping agent at Whakataki, where he continued for sixteen years. In 1893 Mr. Schofield purchased 715 acres, which he still farms, the land having a carrying capacity of two sheep to the acre. As a practical farmer, Mr. Schofield has been most successful in growing winter-turnips for his sheep, which are well looked after, healthy, and robust. In 1878 Mr. Schofield was married to Miss Robinson, of Makara, near Wellington, and has six sons and two daughters.
Smith, T. F., Farmer, Blackhills Junction, Tinui. A Devonshire man by birth, who came to Wellington in 1871, Mr. Smith went to Marlborough, and, and travelling southwards, obtained employment at Montrose Station, Amuri. Subsequently he worked at harvesting, shepherding, shearing, and at other similar laborious callings. Recrossing Cook's Strait, Mr. Smith settled in the Tinui District, becoming at one time the proprietor of the Whakataki Hotel, and afterwards entering into business as a carrier and shipping agent, besides speculating in land. In 1893 he acquired his holding of eighty-seven acres, which by hard work and a careful selection of grasses he has brought into a high state of cultivation, eight sheep to the acre being depastured during nine months of the year. Mr. Smith was married in 1884 to Miss Cooper, of Kaikoura, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. T. F. Smith.